• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze

Come on, Sony. Even the Vita has in-game MP3 support! I'm really surprised to see it isn't on the PS4. The only reason I have Music Unlimited is because of that $12 for 12 months deal PSN had back in January, but I only have a few months left on that. There's no way I'm paying $50+ for it next year.

Flo_Evans

What the what?

I feel like I already knew this but blocked it out. Why?

PS3 was pretty awesome with media and networked drives. There are other better things now but seems like a step back.

I pay for iTunes match so I really don't see the need for another streaming music service.

In what way? What does the PS4 actually have to compel people to buy the thing right now other than the fact that it's a new system? It wins by default right now, not because Sony did anything exceptional.

google that yourself. no one owes you an explanation.

Krakn3Dfx

febd76af6a0be4f07634e50e5f35eb4261779f1f9efacb47a6db02257d239bd9.jpg

grumble

I wouldn't call it useless. But it went from being awesome to being nothing more than a novelty.

Can't agree. You're likely still able to record the parts where you're actually playing the game, and if you wanted to use the share button to spoil cutscenes for viewers then I'm not a fan. I imagine that will be available via capture cards anyways for those who really want to do a let's play cutscenes, endings and other spoilers included.

MaulerX

Hmm. I wonder if XB1 will force Xbox Music subs for bg music as well.

The irony is that currently on 360, you can play streamed music from PC and HDD MP3's as background music but not from Xbox Music. Adding XBM to the list is ok, but they better leave everything else the same.

chepu

BULLSHIT.

I have been waiting for this feature since the PS3 launch, tha was one of my biggest dissapointments, having the all mighty power of the cell and not being capable of streaming music in the background, meanwhile the x360 always could.

Bought a 360 last year and that has been one of my most used features, streaming music frommy pc.

And that is one big F U for everyone out there that lives in a country where intenet sucks. Like me. Top speed? 100kb/s for a complete house ( 5 computers, smartphones and tablets)

Ugh, not a big deal for everyone, but for me ot is.

MDSLKTR

lol @ the concern outrage. As for me I barely used that feature in wipeout, and before that gta san andreas on pc.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seems like an odd choice, and a bit stupid, but I can't help but wonder if it is just because they don't have a music app for it in the first place.

Music Unlimited will be a seperate entity made by a different part of the company that will run with a game, just like any other app that might play audio. It's possible that they just haven't made their audio app yet seeing as is probably one of least used functions and will come at a later date.

Won't bother me though, I've never used it on my 360 or Vita.

This doesn't affect me personally (I don't play music files or stream video to my PS3 as-is), but it's a really shitty omission for anyone who expects to get what should be considered really basic functionality by now.

My guess is that they'll give in and add support later. Hopefully, at least.

Probably they will add some of this stuff in the future.

It's clear they're pushing Music Unlimited. It's the same reason you can't play audio cd's. It looks like Sony doesn't want any music played on ps4 unless it's going through their subscription service.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
google that yourself. no one owes you an explanation.

Sony does if they want the sales, and their best selling point is still "Holy shit, did Microsoft really just do that?" Microsoft has given me dozens of reasons to decide that I'm never buying an Xbox One, Sony still hasn't really stepped up and given me that many reasons why I should buy a PS4 unless I absolutely must have a new console.

never used it myself (music on PS3) but this is Bullshit, I'm more pissed at the no DLNA thing, guess I'll have to keep my ps3 around :/

UNCMark

Banned
Can't agree. You're likely still able to record the parts where you're actually playing the game, and if you wanted to use the share button to spoil cutscenes for viewers then I'm not a fan. I imagine that will be available via capture cards anyways for those who really want to do a let's play cutscenes, endings and other spoilers included.

That's why it's a novelty now. Rather than streamers just using the PS4, they're going to need to use their old equipment again. What a waste.

The Lamp

What in the fuck is this horseshit? My PS3 could, why can't my PS4? To force me to buy your subscription? Fuck you Sony.

No mp3 support is lame.
I'm pretty sure Music Unlimited doesn't have artists I usually listen to (and I don't think this service is available in Russia at all).

dralla

I'm using my PS3 right now to play music over my home theater. This is so incredibly stupid. Do they really think they can get people to pay for their overpriced music service

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bummed about this cutting out audio and video out of our control.
mjnyHxf.png

Kinda shit alright. Though I have to say I never once used by PS3 to play MP3's. I probably would never have wanted to on the PS4 either.

Personally I don't care. I never used this feature with the 360 or even PS3 (in the games that supported it). The whole music in the background breaks imersion for me.

That said, this is bullshit. There's no reason for it aside from pushing Music Unlimited to PS4 users.

I won't subscribe. Good luck wth that, Sony.

Aiustis

I actually used my ps3 for music a lot especially when I had people over because it was easier to get songs from my computer to it than on my 360 :(

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Did anyone actually use this feature on their PS3 / 360? I sure didn't. I've got way too many other music players to worry about putting music on my console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom