• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

jackdoe

This was obvious from the moment it was revealed. Cerny straight up said native 4K is impossible with the hardware.
Native 4K resolutions are going to be iffy for consoles, even for the more powerful Scorpio next year. I'm just wondering if you'd be better off using a Pro with a 1080p TV over a 4K TV to put that extra GPU horsepower to better use.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats surprising, especially concidering that the Xbox One S has it. Doesnt matter much to me personally though, i havnt watched a single Bluray movie on my PS4, and i dont think i have on my PS3 either, at least not from what i can remember (i have tried it, but not watched a complete movie).

Well that's odd and kinda dumb, I see more tweets on my feed about this than any other thing about the Pro lol

Sony fucked up on a fundamental basis here but yes the worst thing is that the reaction to their announcement is going to be overwhelmed by such a dumb oversight.

SnowHawk

To the people who say "who still buys disks?"

I always buy Blu-Rays of the new movies that I want and now 4K Blu-Rays are releasing and with the Blu-Ray version.

So this decision from Sony to not include a UHD player is fucking stupid and have lost a sale.

I'll get the Xbox One s.

FyreWulff

Lets be realist guys... How many of you buy disc anymore? My last purchase was 3 years ago lol

When you buy Blu Ray discs you can actually tell how bad the artifacting/stream blocks are on streaming services.

Also, 4K requires shittons of bandwidth.

CoG

Good choice to keep the price down. Physical media is dead and 4k is barely discernible from viewing distances as far as I'm concerned.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well that's odd and kinda dumb, I see more tweets on my feed about this than any other thing about the Pro lol
Isnt that common though? People focus more on the negative aspects than the positive ones. Kinda sad in some cases that negative stuff gets more attention than the positive stuff.

vpance

Maybe they're planning on doing one of these

300px-Microsoft-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive-Front.jpg

So ridiculous.

Netflix and the rest providing 4K streaming is absolutely not a replacement. No way in hell internet will be reliable to always fall back on that.

Limality

Banned
Hell, they sold us the PS4 on physical media.

Physical Games to be precise. As someone mentioned before, Sony's got the numbers and thought "Yes, let's leave that out". If I look at my own behaviour, I've rarely watched a blu-ray movie on my ps4, but I hope they actually answer this question someday in the near future...it does beg for an explanation

Sweep14

Ouch. 4k Bluray playback is pretty much my only reason for upgrading. Internet speeds are shitty here (4mb down) so discs are my only hope.

This is a gaming console. It's not dedicated to enthusiastic movie amateurs (those ones buy dedicated players that offer better quality than consoles) PS4 Pro is an option to PS4, fully dedicated to gamers

Nipo

5 of my friends have a 4k tv. They give two shits about 4k Blurays as they have a huge collection of normal blurays which looks just splendid upscaled.

So people who have never seen 4k Blu-rays with HDR aren't interested in them.... Once you see UHD it is hard to go back to regular blu-rays

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Good choice to keep the price down. Physical media is dead and 4k is barely discernible from viewing distances as far as I'm concerned.

smh please stop

GHG

Gold Member
Maybe they're planning on doing one of these

300px-Microsoft-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive-Front.jpg

You laugh but that move actually worked out well for MS last gen.

Lets not get it twisted, the majority of people buy these things to simply play games on them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Trying to get people to use streaming services of companies they're partnered with, maybe?

But as I stated earlier, most high-end 4K sets already provide these apps. Why would someone necessarily boot up their PS4 Pro to load up Netflix and stream 4k content if they can just load it from their TV and watch there like they've already been doing?

joecanada

You're looking into this completely backwards, the industry is currently ramping up 4K Bluray production, not ramping down.

4K TVs are just beginning to be at mainstream price points, and the industry keeps selling more yoy.

yeah but physical media is not ramping up, like at all. I don't know anyone that owns even 1 4k blu ray unless you bought like one to show off your tv. its like the one 3D movie everyone has.

maybe Sony knows this better than anyone? I dunno it seems obvious they would push 4k bluray if they thought it was worth it.

Just like the same shit about how nobody can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. Always somebody.

Nipo

This is a gaming console. It's not dedicated to enthusiastic movie amateurs (those ones buy dedicated players that offer better quality than consoles) PS4 Pro is an option to PS4, fully dedicated to gamers

is that way they spent time talking about Netflix and Youtube?

There's no exact listing of supported media.

And if I'm reading this correctly.... 6x speed BD means that it totally can read 4k Blu Rays. I thought a 4k disc's bitrate was over a 128Mbps? 6x is well over 200.

You are stretching. It's been confirmed multiple times over by people on site.

But as I stated earlier, most high-end 4K sets already provide these apps. Why would someone necessarily boot up their PS4 Pro to load up Netflix and stream 4k content if they can just load it from their TV and watch there like they've already been doing?

If it's anything like their Spotify deal, it's possible that they get a nice little cut of subscription fees from users signing up for the services via the Pro? That'd be my guess.

Robot Pants

You're looking into this completely backwards, the industry is currently ramping up 4K Bluray production, not ramping down.

4K TVs are just beginning to be at mainstream price points, and the industry keeps selling more yoy.
THANK YOU
One person with a brain in this thread

This is a weird move for a company with a vested interest in Blu Ray's success to make. This doesn't impact me much now as I probably won't get a 4k TV until next year, but that's still weird. Also, people are forgetting that there's still huge benefits to owning movies on physical media, namely not having to worry about things like bandwidth restrictions.

Also, as someone with a PSVR headset preordered this news is a little annoying as I was planning to get this because I'm sure PSVR games are going to run much better on the Pro.

shandy706

...but I wasn't going to buy a Xbox One S.

I was waiting for "Neo" and expected 4k BR and for it to work well with PSVR. Now I may just go for a cheap PS4 Slim and buy an Xbox One S on top of it. Derp

Sigh...crap...now I have to make a decision.

QaaQer

Are the apps hdr compliant?

Paganmoon

Then again, if they're adopting the Apple way, next year we might see a PS4Pro2 with 4k Blu-ray maybe? then the pro3 the year after without any physical media.

-shadow-

Sure, that's why Sony Pictures still sell UHDs.

I've bought the Ghostbusters double pack on regular blu-ray a few months ago for €13. They're the exact same transfer as the 4K blu-ray has. Yet for some ridiculous reason those two in 4K would cost me a total of €60. It's absolutely bizarre...

Top Bottom