• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Durante

People who would buy a PS4 Pro over a PS4 Slim are people who would want to play 4k Blurays.

There is a venn-diagram where "Likely PS4 Pro Owners" and "People who want to play 4k Blurays" have a large intersection.
Yeah, that's what makes it confusing.

I don't personally care at all for physical media, but selling a "Pro" product which supports Blu-ray but not UHD just seems off.

Ludist210

That's ridiculous. Sony helped create Blu-Ray, and their top competitor included it in their revamped, cheaper console. So why couldn't/didn't Sony?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yes, these threads are just showing that, huh?

4k blurays are THE reason to buy physical media. 4K streaming is disappointing.
There is almost no point to a 4k TV if it's not UHD blurays. And I'm someone with a 4k Tv and no UHD player for now, because I was waiting for Neo announcement. Xbox One S it is I guess...

4k streaming isn't going to work on the majority of US internet connections especially with ISPs becoming ridiculous about throttling the major streaming companies.

4k Blu-ray is 100% necessary.

Am I the only who thinks that Blu-Rays will be dead in 2 years? Sony has the numbers, I think they feel it too.

Digital future, ya'll.

Unless they can clean up some of the compression issues with 4K streaming then no. Also the Internet is still a burden to going all digital. As alot of company have the stupid bandwidth limits. Until the Internet is fast and unlimited for many many people phyical media is still here.

Yeeeesh. If they can't come up with a serious motivator for this thing it's a no buy, and I probably won't buy a PSVR as planned either. It just seems all compromises and half-steps.

iFootball

A very unfortunate surprise... most importantly, a POOR DECISION from Sony not to take this opportunity to jump into 4k Blu Ray with the PS4 Pro... really unexpected.

... This is tipping my buying decision to "NO" and makes me feel disappointed...

Ushay

Yeah, that's what makes it confusing.

I don't personally care at all for physical media, but selling a "Pro" product which supports Blu-ray but not UHD just seems off.

I'm thinking price was their number one aim. SO it may have gotten slashed at the last moment.

you'd think with all the trojan horse hardware they've put out before that this would be a no brainer. Such a strange move.

Edit: Now that i've calmed down about it... Meh

Paganmoon

From Sony

So 100% no.

CrxzQNVUMAAbYOZ.jpg

Hey, at least we get 3 USB ports, right?

ZeroCDR

That's really stupid.

I'll be on a 1080p display for the forseeable future, but I am starting to buy UHD/Blu-ray combo packs when given the choice.

fade_

I have a 4k HDR capable television and was set to buy this console day one. After hearing this news I'm not even excited about it anymore and won't be purchasing it.

Good. Kill all physical media. I'm ready for all the good and bad of our all digital future.

4K needs huge bandwidth and data. Not everyone has blazing fast internet that can be fully dedicated to a single thing for several hours. If I do 4K content then it's going to be physical.

Audioboxer

Sony literally telling a good chunk of their intended audience to wait on Pro and get a Xbox One S for now lol

With how crazy GAFers go in DF topics good luck for some of these folks saying they totally won't buy now when tons of GAFers enjoy TLG and FF15 at a higher res and/or downsamping/higher FPS.

Tech spec envy will empty wallets regardless of post conference "I've not had time to cool down yet" shouts.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here's hoping they patch that shit in. I got a 4KTV for 4K Blu Rays and streaming. I'll stick with my launch PS4 until the PS4 Pro stuff gets sorted.

While 4K gaming is certainly the number 1 selling point for me, 4K Blu Ray movies was number 2.

Lets be realist guys... How many of you buy disc anymore? My last purchase was 3 years ago lol

My last Blu Ray buy was few weeks ago when Captain America: Civil War came out. I am also planning on getting the Complete 2nd Season of Star Wars Rebels on Blu ray too.

marrec

Banned
With a 1.2 TF gpu.

Yep, the Xbox One S is a 4k Bluray player that also plays games and cost 100 dollars less than other 4k Bluray players on the market.

Like, at this point, as someone who wants to play 4k Blurays.... I'd be an idiot NOT to get an Xbox One S.

And, at this point, as someone who has a PS4... why should I buy a PS4 Pro? Better looking games are nice, but I have a PC for that.

So... better looking Uncharted 4 is the answer...... that's not going to justify the purchase for me.

RoyalFool

Banned
Strange move, people with a 4K TV will 99% of the time want a 4k blu-ray player to make the most of it, and the cheapest 4k player for the money is the xbox.

Given most of their profits come from the high-attach ratio, seems like an odd prospect.

Guessing they had to cut the player to make November launch.

entremet

Yes, these threads are just showing that, huh?

4k blurays are THE reason to buy physical media. 4K streaming is disappointing.
There is almost no point to a 4k TV if it's not UHD blurays. And I'm someone with a 4k Tv and no UHD player for now, because I was waiting for Neo announcement. Xbox One S it is I guess...

This an incredibly niche audience here. This is not a good sampling on wider consumer behavior.

Sony isn't dumb. They did their market research and felt the return on investment wasn't high.

Besides, this allows them to add it for the revision! LOL

4K needs huge bandwidth and data. Not everyone has blazing fast internet that can be fully dedicated to a single thing for several hours.

Even then, nobody is even close to offering the quality that a 4K blu ray would provide. No streaming service is going to stream 30+ GB of data for one movie.

Ridley327

Lets be realist guys... How many of you buy disc anymore? My last purchase was 3 years ago lol

I bought 5 at DragonCon this past weekend and I'm probably looking at buying about 10 films in the near future because, surprise, they're not streaming at all and are likely not going to be anytime soon.

TL21xx

Banned
Well then... Guess I'm waiting for a Scorpio. Thanks for making that choice easy Sony, I'm not buying a 4K media device that doesn't allow me to playback 4K video at a bitrate that justifies the resolution without jumping through hoops and barrels and ridiculous downloads.

JawzPause

What's the big deal about this? So you can't watch 4k movies with a Blu-ray disc? I didn't even think that many people still bought Blu-ray discs

Gigamear

i guess when you think about it, things had to go one way or the other.

Either the disc you get in the box is standard quality or ps4 pro quality.

Otherwise we would have a dvd/bluray package situation where you would always need 2 discs

RoKKeR

Guess we should expect MS to start really pushing that UHD player in the One S in marketing materials going forward.

Nipo

Um people who are spending $2000+ on a 4K tv with HDR tend to want the best picture quality which streaming doesn't give you. People spending $4500 on an OLED should want it even more.

I buy discs all the time they give you a digital copy and look and sound so much better.

Top Bottom