• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Mifune

Mehmber
4K Blu-ray lineup is awful. If the medium wasn't on its way out anyway Sony would support it.

Still I don't really see a reason why it can't be included.

Ridley327

i guess when you think about it, things had to go one way or the other.

Either the disc you get in the box is standard quality or ps4 pro quality.

Otherwise we would have a dvd/bluray package situation where you would always need 2 discs
4K players read regular Blu-rays with no issues. There's no reason to support a dual format for games.

Minions

Lets be realist guys... How many of you buy disc anymore? My last purchase was 3 years ago lol

Lets be real... who is paying for a brand new 4K TV, only to play video games on it. Standard TV broadcasts generally are not going to show off your TV. Up res games from the PSPro are not going to really show it off. This is a pretty huge clusterf by Sony.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Lets be realist guys... How many of you buy disc anymore? My last purchase was 3 years ago lol

Bought a few blu rays yesterday :|

marrec

Banned
What's the big deal about this? So you can't watch 4k movies with a Blu-ray disc? I didn't even think that many people still bought Blu-ray discs

They're selling less than what DVDs sold at the same lifecycle, but plenty of people buy Blu-rays and people who are interested in a "Pro" product are more likely than anyone else to buy 4k Blurays.

This isn't a "Pro" product, in my eyes. This is a PS4 revision that doesn't justify the cost.

AmuroChan

My initial reaction was anger and confusion, but then it subsided when I can't remember the last time I put a blu-ray movie into my PS4. Everything we watch at my house is streamed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"We already have a product for people who want to watch UHD Blu-rays, it's called Xbox One S"

LOL. Yep. It's pretty bad for Sony. It surely won't have cost them that much to put in a different player.

It's not okay. Their low bitrate, low PQ streaming has never been a proper substitute for Bluray quality video.

I know. I as being mildly sarcastic.

mrg6290

Keep costs low, which is part of why ps4 won this gen. People can disagree, but that is why they did it.

With it priced at $399 I think they could afford to toss in a UHD drive. If they came in lower, I might agree with your argument. Their competitor has one in a $299 console that I suspect they still are not taking a loss on (although the Xbox chipset is obviously cheaper than the new PS4 Pro chipset).

I guess I should wait for teardowns and cost estimates, but it seems like such a minor cost that makes this a complete package that better aligns with Sony's 4K interests.

Dranakin

I really was waiting for the details of the reveal to decide which UHD BR player to get: Xbox One S or Neo.

I guess Sony made my decision for me.

Klotera

That was going to be my reason to upgrade. Not happening now. I'm stunned that they wouldn't include this. When it wasn't initially mentioned, I assumed it was just an omission.

Yes, some of us still prefer the quality of physical media (and the fact that it's not tied to a single provider's service). Just because some people don't care doesn't mean it was a good decision to leave it out.

Maybe there is some hope that the drive will be BDXL capable and the functionality can be patched in later (as 3D Blu Ray support was on the original PS4). However, I think they'd get ahead of that of it was the case.

Pryce

Zero reason for me to get a PS4Pro.

All games on both systems? No 4K bluray player? PS4 OG getting HDR update? No difference in multiplayer game?

Yeah I'm good.

True Fire

With how crazy GAFers go in DF topics good luck for some of these folks saying they totally won't buy now when tons of GAFers enjoy TLG and FF15 at a higher res and/or downsamping/higher FPS.

Tech spec envy will empty wallets regardless of post conference "I've not had time to cool down yet" shouts.

Console warriors would buy Pro no matter what. It's the more casual people who will see this as a deal breaker, especially with the probability of another revision next fall to match Scorpio.

A situation that might improve if more people had UHD players, which would they would if this console came with one.

90% of movies going forward will likely have a 4K version. Just look at the next few months. Every non Disney summer release will have a UHD release.

Here's a console all about fidelity to use on your tv with increased fidelity , enjoy your compressed video.

ToD_

I'm baffled. UHD BD support would have helped me towards buying it as a means to have a capable media player when I upgrade to a 4K TV. With that out of the window, this is an unlikely purchase.

MrDaravon

How completely fucking insane.

Unless I am totally blown away (ign.com) by specific games and performance increases with the Pro that we find out about closer to it's launch this is literally a dealbreaker for me. Now I'm almost thinking about just getting an Xbox One for this purpose. Madness.

* PS4 with no 4k BluRay Support
* Apple with no headphone jack
* Mario Maker 3DS with no online support.

Sure has been a shitty week in the world of tech. At least its saving me more than a thousand dollars, because I'd be considering all of them.

Nipo

4K Blu-ray lineup is awful. If the medium wasn't on its way out anyway Sony would support it.

But Sony Pictures does support 4k blu-ray.... The last major studio to support it is Disney which is expected to start doing so early next year.

Samaritan

I can't believe we live in a world where I'm considering getting a new Xbox to play 4K Blu-rays and not a new PS4. Did Sony forget they make Blu-rays?!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Apple without the headphone jack and now this... what a day of fail in my eyes smh lol

Moodz

Besides, this allows them to add it for the revision! LOL

I honesty think it's one of the only few possible reasons...
When they will see that 4k streaming is not viable, there will be a new revision in 2 years with more power and 4k player.

This is so sad, because people will buy everything... I prefer Sony when Microsoft is winning.

Audioboxer

Console warriors would buy Pro no matter what. It's the more casual people who will see this as a deal breaker, especially with the probability of another revision next fall to match Scorpio.

But the casuals have been buying PS4s? Casuals tend to flock to a console due to marketing initially, then pricing. Sony nailed the marketing at launch, and the pricing is still close.

I'll eat my crow if WW sales dramatically turn this fall, my bet? They won't. Plus casuals chasing that COD PS4 Pro hype.

Gamerman1

5 of my friends have a 4k tv. They give two shits about 4k Blurays as they have a huge collection of normal blurays which looks just splendid upscaled.

Grief.exe

You're looking into this completely backwards, the industry is currently ramping up 4K Bluray production, not ramping down.

4K TVs are just beginning to be at mainstream price points, and the industry keeps selling more yoy.

Top Bottom