• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

Dragon

Banned
The good news is software isn't set in stone like the hardware. Sony can constantly iterate the UI if people are unhappy with it.

I don't really see them doing it if the way they handled the PS3's UI is any indication. I think we're going to be using something very close to what's in these videos for the next five to six years.

Kalm

I prefer the old XMB, but this looks pretty good.

Even without custom backgrounds, I'm about 99% sure that the colours will be adjustable; if I can get my all-black minimalist thing going at launch, I'll be happy.

The load times are a bit of a concern though. Hopefully, this is just caused by a poor server connection -- the browser stuff seemed dead slow as well.

Jarsonot

upload-studio.png

I guess what I mean is, let's say you want to clip out some awesome gameplay you had. On the Xbox version how do you know where to start? You just have a gray progress bar and will have to view the entire recorded footage to figure out when your awesome action started. Maybe the first minute is you running down a hallway.

On Sony's version, that first minute running down the hallway will be visible, and you can easily see at least a general idea of where to start your clip. Doesn't that seem more useable? Isn't that better design?

nib95

Banned
You're talking about decoration, not design. It's a very common mistake to make since the word 'design' is misused all the time.

No he is right in that it is also design and aesthetic, in this instance graphic design. But attractive graphic design doesn't necessarily mean good functionality. Form over function so to speak. To me whilst graphically and aesthetically the Xbox One's UI may look more attractive (I actually dislike the Metro tiles look in both), it also seems far more cluttered (general UI not the video editing page) and convoluted, and doesn't seem particularly easy to use at all.

The chances are the PS4's UI will be more simplistic and easy to use, perhaps quicker too, and ultimately that is as important if not more important than having a sexy look.

let me show this...

honestly FOR YOU ..this are well designed menu/screens?

500x1000px-LL-d775ab9b_9349291843_e57f065265_o.png

PS4-UI-5-.jpg

....yes?

I'm not talking shit about Xbox One's UI, I'm a huge fan of the Metro style but the XMB style is more my kind of thing. It's simple, functional, and has focus on where it needs.

And talking about the color? Blue is great, it's a cool color that is pleasing to the eye.

Also I work as a graphic designer/marketing executive. Does that give my opinion gravitas to you?

nib95

Banned
im talki aboud design where inside the design you can find the category graphic designe etc etc

Problem with your approach (there's generally a problem with your approach to most things so no surprise), is that you're only considering one aspect of UI design, that is aesthetics, and not function or ease of use. As the user above pointed out, it's very likely that the preview tiles may ensure the PS4's take on video editing in the UI is more functional than the Xbox One's, despite looking less pretty.

We won't know for sure till we get a better comparison.

Angry Fork

I really hate this gen's fascination with big weird boxes. Metro it's the same shit, it looks unbelievably ugly I don't understand it.

And I don't like the blue shit everywhere either. No custom backgrounds/UI change is bad. PS3 XMB is way better than that.

spwolf

No he is right in that it is also design and aesthetic, in this instance graphic design. But attractive graphic design doesn't necessarily mean good functionality. Form over function so to speak. To me whilst graphically and aesthetically the Xbox One's UI may look more attractive (I actually dislike the Metro tiles look in both), it also seems far more cluttered and convoluted, and doesn't seem particularly easy to use at all.

The chances are the PS4's UI will be more simplistic and easy to use, perhaps quicker too, and ultimately that is as important if not more important than having a sexy look.

i generally find Metro attractive, but XB1 version has 20 small similar looking buttons on the screen, it is not that attractive at all plus it is hard to find things in it when everything looks the same.

Holy shit.

We're getting into "what's your favourite gradient? Linear, Radial or Angle?" territory here!!

Every time design is mentioned on this site I get flashbacks to client meetings when I worked as a graphic designer!!

andycapps

Looks great to me. Then again, I prefer the look of OS X to Windows 8. This is very similar in style and functionality to an Apple OS. Same as XMB.

Jigolo

All these UI demos have shown exactly the same shit over and over. I'm so tired of it. Wheres the messaging app, PSN store, Party, Library and all that good stuff?

Fuck it though, 4 more days until I have mine personally.

TheKayle

Banned
Problem with your approach (there's generally a problem with your approach to most things so no surprise), is that you're only considering one aspect of UI design, that is aesthetics, and not function or ease of use. As the user above pointed out, it's very likely that the preview tiles may ensure the PS4's take on video editing in the UI is more functional than the Xbox One's, despite looking less pretty.

We won't know for sure till we get a better comparison.

oh Nib thnx....yeah maybe my approch is generally wrong or i dont know (if i been banned there must be a reason)....i dont know honestly who will be more easy to use...but i think ppl are HOPING that the ps4 os is faster/easier.....that coul dbe a chance ..but also couldnt...
one thing is sure....is not attractive....can we agree on this?

Croyles

Ray Charles/Michael Jackson console warrior: You're post history is hilarious, I stopped watching The Walking Dead because I was more entertained here.

Donny

oh Nib thnx....yeah maybe my approch is generally wrong or i dont know (if i been banned there must be a reason)....i dont know honestly who will be more easy to use...but i think ppl are HOPING that the ps4 os is faster/easier.....that coul dbe a chance ..but also couldnt...

I know I can't.

naaa i know inside myself that ppl dont like that blue...
they just accepting it

This statement is beyond absurd.

I think many would take it as a compliment for you to be disappointed in their taste.

This.

Nestunt

How come this thread has no gif of the marvellous scene of water pouring out of the controller and the happy clapping?

thats next gen in a nutshell

I think both the X1 and PS4 UI's look attractive - but its usability and speed to access things thats more important to me and for that I think the XMB and the old blades are far quicker to access.

Maybe thats the point - will push voice control cos no-one will know where to find anything!!

Please don't mistake design for decoration.

I absolutely loathe anything animated or involving transition animation in a UI, which is why I dislike everything about the Xbone UI - it's always so damn busy and saying 'Hey! Look at me! I'm like an attract sequence!.'

For me this continuation of the PS3s XMB design philosophy is a joy to behold.

As what I said, simple and fast doesn't mean it need to be ugly or terrible in the design. It doesn't need extra transition, it just need something to make the good use of the space so it won't look empty.

Good UI using the empty space to the potential, now look at this new PS4 UI? so many empty space while the icon were so small. I mean c'mon, this design kinda look like a Chinese branded cheap TV box that I could buy for $10.

Again FOR ME, I just wish Sony with the upcoming update could make the UI look better that this one.

nynt9

No. I find it attractive. So we can't, I guess.

naaa i know inside myself that ppl dont like that blue...
they just accepting it

Wait, is this a joke account?

TheKayle shows up, thread goes to shit, not that i'm surprised. Anyways, the UI isn't the greatest looking thing ever but seems functional and fast enough to get the job done. Customization options would be nice though.

nib95

Banned

No. I think a few screens/pages are unattractive, but overall it is pretty slick, minimalist and fairly attractive. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of metro style tiling and they've both gone with that, but otherwise they're still both nice looking.

The Xbone UI is much better in both form and function and it makes me wonder if Microsoft was right after all. The differences in resolution won't be immediately apparent to common folk, while the differences in UI functionality are obvious in plain sight.

Croyles

TheKayle shows up, thread goes to shit, not that i'm surprised. Anyways, the UI isn't the greatest looking thing ever but seems functional and fast enough to get the job done. Customization options would be nice though.

I agree. The only issues I have with UI's is if it's hard to use or text becomes hard to read. Baby blue doesn't seem like the smartest choice for this but it honestly doesn't look like it will bother me.

XMB all the way!

Dragon

Banned
The Xbone UI is much better in both form and function and it makes me wonder if Microsoft was right after all. The differences in resolution won't be immediately apparent to common folk, while the differences in UI functionality are obvious in plain sight.

How could you possibly know that it's better in function when you've never used it? Please answer this question, because logically, it makes less sense than anything said in this thread.

How could you possibly know that it's better in function when you've never used it? Please answer this question, because logically, it makes less sense than anything said in this thread.

It can do more stuff, I thought we already knew this months ago. Why are you so surprised by it?

Remember people, we are playing games, not the interface.

We are playing games, but the discussions were about the UI and both of company in comparisson were promoting the multimedia side of their gaming system. So it's not only about gaming to be honest.

Crackbone

I agree with this to a point.

It really comes down to what you are purchasing a console for.

If it's to play games, the UI and additional functionality are nice bonuses, but aren't really the core reasoning for purchasing the box. (I fall into this category.) IE, I don't play the UI, I play games.

Other more casual users might enjoy the Xbone UI for its focus on voice control and other non gaming related items, however, you're still dealing with a $100 price differential.

That's not easily overcome, sexy UI or not.

If they just booted up to 5 large icons, it would handle what I need to do 99% of the time - and let me assign a quick-key to each:

• Play game in drive
  • Games installed on HDD
  • Friends List/Social Page
  • Netflix
  • PS Store

I can dig for the System Configuration, etc the 1 time a year I'll need to use it.

Top Bottom