• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI demo at Hong Kong event

AssaTM

Apple redesigned their entire OS to make it look nicer and more appealing to the eye, anyone that says the UI doesnt matter at all is crazy, it's what grabs your attention, makes you want to use it

I sincerely considered creating a thread weeks ago saying I was concerned the one thing Sony was going to screw up on the PS4 was the UI. So much of this console was handled by western people from Sony, except the UI. It's still being handled by a secret team in Japan that we never hear a god damn thing about. It's a shame they didn't place more importance on this.

Yup. I wish there wasn't this trade off for hardware and software. Sony products besides phones have terrible UIs. Sometimes I wish they could just outsource it. MS has designed a box that can be personalized and is media oriented. This would help when there are game lulls. I just hope this current ps4 ui isn't and inflexible as the xmb

curb

Banned
As long as navigation is quick, I could care less.

Agreed. I'm buying my machine primarily for the purpose of playing games. If I'm spending enough time in the UI to really care, I'm doing something wrong.

Also, now that I watched that video, I'm getting Allstate banner ads in what I'm guessing is Chinese.

Prine

Banned
Sparse, doesnt do a good job of rewarding exploration like Xbox One UI with its attractive layout. Never liked how you'd scroll through games and bottom right would pop up with more info, should use more space.

The thing about PS4's menu is that a lot of attention is put at its central UI, basically the part where we see tiles horizontally spread out with games, browser, etc.

It looks extremely sparsed and boring, mainly because it's pretty obvious that the central UI was designed in consideration of the bottom UI, where you select your games, and you see the dynamic game information pop up ( game achievements, stats, info, etc ).

TOP - the XMB-like menu, where you go to access all the misc. details like settings, trophies, friends. ( this part is fine )
|
CENTER - the central UI, where a horizontal piece of tiles are laid out according to what you have ( this part, imo, is flawed because it's designed to be a slave to bottom UI, and looks extremely bland without going into games menu )
|
BOTTOM - games UI, arguably the most beautiful part of the UI, where dynamic background kicks in by selecting the game, and we can hear the music change, the achievements pop up, and the background image change to the game.

Design-wise, I can see why Sony did things the way it did, because it has a logical process to it. However, by doing so, they made their CENTER look boring because the design priority was given to BOTTOM.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love that UI. Simple and effective, it's what I prefer with UIs. I always preferred the PS3s XMB as well compared to that horrific Metro monstrosity MS love to wheel out. Ugh.

UI is negligible, I'll be playing the games 99% of the time I'm on my PS4. I didn't see anything that bothered me, other than the Power icon being on the right instead of the left.

RulkezX

It's weird people say the XO does more when they mean "I think it looks better"

Function wise there is little difference.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I sincerely considered creating a thread weeks ago saying I was concerned the one thing Sony was going to screw up on the PS4 was the UI. So much of this console was handled by western people from Sony, except the UI. It's still being handled by a secret team in Japan that we never hear a god damn thing about. It's a shame they didn't place more importance on this.
Other than personal preference over aesthetics, what has Sony "screwed up" about the UI in your mind?

All you metro loving, tablet loving, flat colour people need to just... ..fuck... seriously just fucking .,... god! stop.

10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

ART
Pure motherfucking art.
Look at that shit, so goddamn good.
See my games? I can see in that screenshot it's FIVE clicks to the right.
For each click I do, it will get closer, confirming I'm on target.
See display settings? I can see in that screenshot it's FOUR clicks down
For each clcik I do it will animate closer, confirming I'm on target.

Both top bottom / left and right are HARD - they don't wrap around.
From muscle memory I know, EVEN WHEN MY TELEVISION IS OFF AND STILL WARMING UP.............. just scroll right right right right like 10 times (I'm definitely hard right) then press left left and I'm at my games. The TV doesn't even have to be goddamned on,.......... by the time it's warmed up, I can be at where I need to be.

The animation is minimal and simple - it's not intrusive
I can see more than 1 thing per page, jesus christ is that important
There's icons per page as well.

The XMB fucking decimates the Microsoft user interfaces, not because I'm a Sony fan, not because I'm buying a PS4, not "just because" - it decimates it due to better design, it's more logical, it's faster to work with yet still good to look at.
The XMB won awards and rightly so. It's almost all I could ask for in a basic UI - I'm sure it could be tweaked some but honestly, thank fucking fuck that Sony didn't lose their confidence and think "oh shit, maybe we too can replace the entire UI?!?" - they stuck with it and fucking huge kudos to them.

Long live the XMB.

audience.gif

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clappi-q15o.gif

madmackem

Its fast easy to use and switching is instant, i dont know why anyone would want anything else, i dont spend more than the absolute min to get between my games and media in an os. The less bloat and resources being used by a os the better.

dvize

Banned
I think you guys are misinterpreting the design. I wouldn't say its uninspired, but more of a minimalistic 'feng shui', design. I use windows 8.1 and metro makes me dizzy. Too many icons all up in my face. So, maybe the microsoft ui looks snazzier right now, but I guarantee you that it is not as functional as the Sony UI.

Other than personal preference over aesthetics, what has Sony "screwed up" about the UI in your mind?

Well for starters we have the list of features that are missing. STILL can't change your PSN ID, can't customize the background, can't sleep suspend/resume a game, no DLNA support, no MP3 or music CD support, etc, etc.

Those are all features that fall on the shoulders of the UI team.

But beyond the basic functionality, I personally see the design as amateur on so many levels, and I'm not even a student of design, but even I can tell this is not *right*. I'm sure actual students of UI design would find a long list of flaws. It's simply not pleasing to my eyes.

RaikuHebi

Banned
All you metro loving, tablet loving, flat colour people need to just... ..fuck... seriously just fucking .,... god! stop.

10280_20090727184148!XMB_of_PS3.jpg

ART
Pure motherfucking art.
Look at that shit, so goddamn good.
See my games? I can see in that screenshot it's FIVE clicks to the right.
For each click I do, it will get closer, confirming I'm on target.
See display settings? I can see in that screenshot it's FOUR clicks down
For each clcik I do it will animate closer, confirming I'm on target.

Both top bottom / left and right are HARD - they don't wrap around.
From muscle memory I know, EVEN WHEN MY TELEVISION IS OFF AND STILL WARMING UP.............. just scroll right right right right like 10 times (I'm definitely hard right) then press left left and I'm at my games. The TV doesn't even have to be goddamned on,.......... by the time it's warmed up, I can be at where I need to be.

The animation is minimal and simple - it's not intrusive
I can see more than 1 thing per page, jesus christ is that important
There's icons per page as well.

The XMB fucking decimates the Microsoft user interfaces, not because I'm a Sony fan, not because I'm buying a PS4, not "just because" - it decimates it due to better design, it's more logical, it's faster to work with yet still good to look at.
The XMB won awards and rightly so. It's almost all I could ask for in a basic UI - I'm sure it could be tweaked some but honestly, thank fucking fuck that Sony didn't lose their confidence and think "oh shit, maybe we too can replace the entire UI?!?" - they stuck with it and fucking huge kudos to them.

Long live the XMB.
Banderas.gif with him looking at the XMB on his laptop.

The XMB is woefully under-rated. It existed before the smartphone revolution and though I have no proof, arguably influenced the minimalist designs of Apple.

Do people really think this looks SO MUCH better?

(I know this is not the main area but its the same other than the live feed and ads on the right)

In my theory, I believe its due to the cool thumbnails of World War Z, Ryse, Skype, etc. They stimulate our brains perhaps, like dopamine. Remove those and you have a bunch of green squares.

The facts are: If you want to get to your friends, you leave to a different page/tab/app. On the PS4 UI, you scroll, and it instantly shows your list, similar to the PS3. Same with Messages on X1, you must leave to a new tab. Again, they look to be instant after scrolling to 'messages' on the PS4 (from the looks of it).

The Sharing UI is nicer on the X1 because you dont have to go to a new page like the Ps4. However, the ps4 has longer capturing and has a sharing button on the controller so their convenience is tied, IMO.

The dynamic menus on the Ps4 UI is a good feature too if used wisely by devs. Hopefully they aren't slow to load like the video or else it loses points.

I do like the features of viewing # of players in top games and the 'following' feature on the X1.
Yeah that looks like a mess. Works well as a touch screen but not with a controller.

The camera was not able to auto-sign the user, I wonder if they will be able to simply update the software? Other than that it looks pretty good as long as it's quick and easy to navigate to all your content and settings quickly, especially within the store.

image_killzone_shadow_fall-22871-2660_0001.jpg

Now, if you look at the game menu above, it's quite nicely designed. It pops out with visuals and sounds pertaining to the game, and information is densely populated across the screen with little wasted page.

Now, the problem is that the UI was designed giving priority to this, above everything else. This was clearly what Sony wanted their UI impression to be.

However, it's practically impossible to have this UI be the centerfront of the interface, because that would mean a very distracting UI that constantly changes the moment you move from one game to another.

This is where Sony made the poor design choice to accomodate BOTTOM with a sparsely placed CENTER, where the positioning of the game info of BOTTOM is maintained at CENTER, but without everything else that makes the UI more dense.

Naudi

Banned
Wow, flipping between the game and the background app is instant.
Thats all i was interested in, the rest is just window-dressing.
This! Really the only next Gen UI feature I was really wanting. Cause it directly related to games and that's what I'll be doing....Playing games not the interface.

Tsundere

Banned
In my theory, I believe its due to the cool thumbnails of World War Z, Ryse, Skype, etc. They stimulate our brains perhaps, like dopamine. Remove those and you have a bunch of green squares.

Dude, it's letterboxed, in a box. It's terrible looking.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Do people really think this looks SO MUCH better?

No, the fact that it has advertisements makes it bad. The good thing is that they're allowing modification to the background and tile colors, so they have that.

I hope that the PS4's next update allows modification, but definitely not because I hate blue, just because I like black a little more.

As someone who uses Windows 8, I'm glad the PS4 UI doesn't look like Windows 8.

I'd rather it be simple and functional, which this looks like.
I won't be spending a lot of time admiring the UI anyways.

This. I hate metro with the fire of a thousand suns. Xbone reminds me if people that go overboard with rainmeter(?) on their xp machines. I don't need to have all those options and buttons in my face all the time. I need something simple and sleek.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well for starters we have the list of features that are missing. STILL can't change your PSN ID, can't customize the background, can't sleep suspend/resume a game, no DLNA support, no MP3 or music CD support, etc, etc.

But beyond the basic functionality, I personally see the design as amateur on so many levels, and I'm not even a student of design, but even I can tell this is not *right*. I'm sure actual students of UI design would find a long list of flaws. It's simply not pleasing to my eyes.

Do you really believe the decision to not support mp3 was made by the ui team

Just feels blah. Really hoped that they would do something to add a little flash to it.

While a lot of us on here say they love the minimalist design, its really boring. Feels like the PS3 XMB with a few add ins.

curb

Banned

I've seen this complaint a lot and I don't get it. Who is spending so much time looking at the UI of any device that they absolutely need to put their personal spin on it? I'm saying this not to challenge but really out of ignorance because to me, this is a non-issue.

Xbone reminds me if people that go overboard with rainmeter(?) on their xp machines. I don't need to have all those options and buttons in my face all the time. I need something simple and sleek.

This... so much this. It really does have that "ad widget-meets-trendy-sans-serif-hipster-minimus" feel going on. XMB is a great, simple UI.

Tsundere

Banned

I don't think you know what the UI team is responsible for.

Skilletor

I've seen this complaint a lot and I don't get it. Who is spending so much time looking at the UI of any device that they absolutely need to put their personal spin on it? I'm saying this not to challenge but really out of ignorance because to me, this is a non-issue.

Nobody needs to, but after the war ps3 custom dynamic themes and the ability to have different wallpapers for each page in vita, it is very disappointing not to be able to customize my background as I wish. Especially since I can on the other Sony platforms.

curb

Banned
Nobody needs to, but after the war ps3 custom dynamic themes and the ability to have different wallpapers for each page in vita, it is very disappointing not to be able to customize my background as I wish. Especially since I can on the other Sony platforms.

I guess I can see that. My Vita and PS3 both have the default background on both.

I wonder if the reason they didn't include it with PS4 is that it seems like the background changes depending on what you're navigating to. If you're on a game's "page", the background changes to match and will cover whatever your custom background would be. Maybe they're expecting you to not spend much time in what would be the customizable sections

xkramz

Xbox One
My Pins
Better Voice Commands
TV Guide (for specific countries)
Snap

PS4
LiveArea(friends activity feed)
Longer Record Time for Sharing

Can someone update this, these are the advantages I can find for each so far.

Xbox one has an activity feed, also has. Statistics of how many people is playing what game.

TheKayle

Banned
Man, you got some projection issues going on. Opinions, you've heard of them i'm positive. What you may see as boring, and blue others might find concise/to-the-point, minimalist and refined.

show this to a famous graphic designer and will insult who did it..for the rest of his life

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Most of those things, as already pointed out by others, really have nothing to do with UI. So your personal insights on how "amateur" the UI really is, suddenly become very hollow. Why can't you guys ever just say "this thing doesn't appeal to my tastes" instead of trying to turn your personal preference into market-defining dogma?

gadwn

The blue theme is a little too much for my taste, it's looking easy to navigate though, that's probably the most important thing to me.

Top Bottom