• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Apdiddy

My ISP (Charter) and their DNS was down for most of the day yesterday. I could connect to the internet at home but never could actually go to any sites.

It's possible the same thing is happening here with PSN. It sounds like a DDOS attack.

libregkd

I realize they need to have safeguards in place when it comes to logging in, but it's ridiculous that I can't play any games on my PS4 right now because their service is down. It's a risk I was aware of, but there has to be a method to allow people to access their games, even if just for offline play.
What? I'm playing games offline just fine. (Actually have Hotline Miami paused atm)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There are technologies in place to safeguard against DDOS attacks. It's pretty poor to be falling for them at this point, especially for a service like PSN.
What kind of technologies?

I admit I'm not much into networking any more and only have CCNA from 10 years ago, but what are those and how do they work?

Get_crazy

Banned
I realize they need to have safeguards in place when it comes to logging in, but it's ridiculous that I can't play any games on my PS4 right now because their service is down. It's a risk I was aware of, but there has to be a method to allow people to access their games, even if just for offline play.

Yep, activate your PS4 as your primary console. You can't do it while the PSN is down though as you have to be connected to do so.

I guess this ends the whole, "you pay for online you get better service" thing. They better fix this before madden comes out there will be a outrage for digital preorders

madmackem

Yeah, it would be nice to get some compensation for this kind of events, which are occuring far too often for paid service.

You want something free every time attackers take. The service down? Wow. They can't help when a group attacks them.

It is a shame we have drive by posts whining about Sony being ddos, it isn't a menial thing. Riot, NCSoft, Blizzard couldn't stop it, why Sony?

What? I'm playing games offline just fine. (Actually have Hotline Miami paused atm)
My games are all digital and the system at the house I'm in right now is the secondary console. I have to be online to access all games (which is annoying, but it allows me to have two systems without having to lug physical games around, so I don't bitch).

So right now if I try to start up any game, it says it can't verify the license (because PSN is down).

But I just watched the first episode of Bojack Horseman on Netflix, so... that's something!

What kind of technologies?

I admit I'm not much into networking any more and only have CCNA from 10 years ago, but what are those and how do they work?

Silently drop packages or send a TCP reply "windows size equls 0" But really it depends on the DDoS, your gear and how good you're prepared for those type of attacks. It's still a very effective method.

MMaRsu

Banned

Huh? I can play all my games just fine..

Dec

My ISP (Charter) and their DNS was down for most of the day yesterday. I could connect to the internet at home but never could actually go to any sites.

It's possible the same thing is happening here with PSN. It sounds like a DDOS attack.

My ISP's DNS went down a couple times a few weeks ago. You can manually change your DNS to Google's and your internet will work perfect, even faster than normal in my case because most people in town just thought the internet was down.

Shengar

Feel free to provide evidence that it was an attack. It's definitely a disruption, but we don't know what happened at the moment.

Yeah, I don't think there is any event that could incite someone to attack Sony. This is very out of the blue if its really an attack.

so this is what a paid online multiplayer service gets you?

Yeah, it would be nice to get some compensation for this kind of events, which are occuring far too often for paid service.

I guess this ends the whole, "you pay for online you get better service" thing. They better fix this before madden comes out there will be a outrage for digital preorders

Was thinking the same thing. WTF Sony.

Jesus Christ
, and that's only the last page.

Homer_facepalm.jpg

The PS4 is not always online. Uncheck "connect to the internet" in your PS4's network settings. Some games get stuck trying to connect to PSN but should be fine once you're not connected to the 'net at all.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, I don't think there is any event that could incite someone to attack Sony. This is very out of the blue if its really an attack.

People have DDOS'd charities before. There doesn't really need to be a reason if that is indeed what happened.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
With great power and anonymity comes great douchbaggery.

Thankfully (?) I can't share in the DDoS since my PS4 is getting serviced. To the people on my friendslist and those still not on there: my prayers go out to you.

libregkd

My games are all digital and the system at the house I'm in right now is the secondary console. I have to be online to access all games (which is annoying, but it allows me to have two systems without having to lug physical games around, so I don't bitch).

So right now if I try to start up any game, it says it can't verify the license (because PSN is down).

But I just watched the first episode of Bojack Horseman on Netflix, so... that's something!
Ah yeah. Yeah, honestly preferred the how the PS3 handled downloads where you can have up to 2 consoles registered and you can play games offline on both of them. PS4's system had it's perks though. I like how I can just basically transfer my account around to an unlimited number of consoles so long as everything is smooth on my end/Sony's.

Is nice app services aren't tied to being signed in. Remember that was annoying on the PS3.

Cudder

You pay to play online multiplayer, along with a few other perks. Why would you think just because you pay for that, that you're less susceptible to PSN getting attacked than people who don't pay? Sony's PSN Servers are exactly the same whether you pay them or not, you're all in the same bucket.

The dickless fucks have been DDOS-ing free services all week, paid online and any supposed consumer warrioring these shits make claims about are nothing but hot air. Talking of hot air, my farts are more worthy than this lot.

Hellers

*Sigh* I'd just finished an upgrade of my HDD to 2tb. Try to sign in to my new fresh OS to download stuff and get an error. Check twitter and find PSN having a world wide outage.

I think I did it guys. If I hadn't upgraded my HDD and medically need to download Diablo again this wouldn't have happened. Soz.

Top Bottom