• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Was unable to play splunkey. Thought there was a problem with the game so deleted it. Can't download it again as psn is Down.

Not good enough after last time Sony, your security should be robust enough to stop these attacks with ease

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Blizzard had troubles all night with their servers. May or may not be related, but these things can and do happen to anyone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Silently drop packages or send a TCP reply "windows size equls 0" But really it depends on the DDoS, your gear and how good you're prepared for those type of attacks. It's still a very effective method.
Based on three articles I've read on the latter and knowing about the former I doubt the claim that this is very effective, especially as it's not new and people with bad intentions won't be respecting proper TCP.

Get_crazy

Banned
Must have been my fault, I've been re-downloading games for days

giphy.gif

Not good enough after last time Sony, your security should be robust enough to stop these attacks with ease

This isn't a security issue though. In the same way GAF sometimes goes down when there's too many users due to E3 or whatever, websites and online services are all suseptible to too many concurrent users. If someone does a DDoS attack, there's nothing they can really do if they clog the servers and sap the bandwidth.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
are they trying to troll anonymous lol

this wont end well i dont think

Lizard Squad @LizardSquad · 3m
This Twitter has been taken over by Anonymous. We do not forgive. We do not forget.

Just kidding, it's still me. kekekekekekekekekekekekekek

Lionheart

Pretty sure the problem is that by paying for a service, people expect downtimes to be limited and solved quickly, which is perfectly understandable.
Pretty sure people pay for World of Warcraft monthly and paid for Diablo III which requires Battle.net to play offline as well.

(Just lost a (free) Hearthstone game because of some network troubles, could be related, don't know).

Either way, man it'd be great if DDOS attacks could be prevented some time in the future.

Tommy DJ

Was unable to play splunkey. Thought there was a problem with the game so deleted it. Can't download it again as psn is Down.

There's a difference between your personal information being stolen and a DDOS. If there's a will, DDOS will bring just about any network down to their knees.

Dec

Pretty sure people pay for World of Warcraft monthly and paid for Diablo III which requires Battle.net to play offline as well.

(Just lost a (free) Hearthstone game because of some network troubles, could be related, don't know).

Either way, man it'd be great if DDOS attacks could be prevented some time in the future.

I haven't played much WoW in years but I know before Blizzard would credit a few days membership time to your account for unexpected downtime.

fixuis

There is no such thing as perfect security or 100% fool proof security measures.

I guess the ability to pause downloads is delayed another year while sony spend the next few months fixing the OS flaw that makes games lock up during a network issue like this. Basic media playback by 2018. Folders 2019.

Xando

I haven't played much WoW in years but I know before Blizzard would credit a few days membership time to your account for unexpected downtime.

They arent doing that anymore. Especially not for DDOS attacks because they are mostly very temporary.

Lethal

Neo Member
That would be weird. Singapore here, all my accounts are definitely down, including the HK one.

Maybe it was cos I was in a game. When I accessed the store from inside a single player gane of TLOU, everything appeared fine. After reboot, I can't access the PSN store at all.

So I guess Sony still need to put more money into their network security. And people say PSN is on the same level at XBL now. Hopefully PSN is back online soon.

Lionheart

Cool, didn't know that, well except for at launch where they were generous because of the extreme server downtimes. Great service.

EL CUCO

So PSN is down and guess what game is not starting up for me...TLOU. Thanks for the stealth DRM, Sony.

It works. Needed to disconnect PS4 from the Internet at settings. Thanks to the GAFfers that helped :)

So PSN is down and guess what game is not starting up for me...TLOU. Thanks for the stealth DRM, Sony.

Probably just a timeout problem. Try to disconnect your console from the network and then start the game again.

So I guess Sony still need to put more money into their network security. And people say PSN is on the same level at XBL now. Hopefully PSN is back online soon.

This comment doesn't make any sense. First of all, as others have pointed out, this is not a "security" issue. Second, we don't know how XBL would hold up against such an attack.

Static Jak

Yeah I can't get into any game. I've tried FEZ, Ground Zeroes and UFC and the furthest they get is the intro screens and then they're on infinite loading.

jiiikoo

Banned
I guess the ability to pause downloads is delayed another year while sony spend the next few months fixing the OS flaw that makes games lock up during a network issue like this. Basic media playback by 2018. Folders 2019.

Guess Xbox is better then? Oh wait, If im not mistaken it works the same on Xbox too. If you haven't set your Xbox as "Home Console" your downloaded games don't work if there is a network problem.

Dremark

Banned

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Sony to credit accounts for a day or two because of this seeing as it's a paid service in PS4.

But as far as prevention goes there's only so much that can be done to prevent it.

Top Bottom