• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN connection problems (12/24)

I changed my MTU settings and now I'm getting "cannot connect to the server within the time limit" when attempting to sign into PSN, which is a slightly different error than what I've been getting since the problem started.

Man, I can't believe it's been five days.

I was having similar issues. First I turn off the connection on the internet on the PS4 and then reboot it. After the reboot I disconnected the wifi if it automatically set on then I connected manually to the wifi and then changed the MTU to 1473. The initial connection to PSN during the test will tell you that it failed, but if you try to log in manually to PSN either on the PSN settings or trying to access the store or your trophies you should get online.

I say this because after Xmas I couldn't get online even after changing the MTU but after disconnecting and reconnecting manually my WIFI everything worked since and I haven't been disconnected from PSN since.

Two Words

So are we still going to act like Sony isn't screwing up on their maintenence and that the DDOS attacks have persisted for 5 days now?

Dunlop

no freaking way, just picked up an xb1 and switched over to the PS4 while the initial update installed and could not log in to PSN

it's getting pretty sad now

ttech10

Seriously. Is anyone talking about this? Are our issues going to be ignored by Sony and the press? They seem pretty widespread.

Didn't the "hackers" say they took down the services to bring more attention to their security? Funny that because of their attacks, the PSN being down is a lot less talked about than it would have been without the attacks. I guess that backfired on them. Most people will just assume it's down because the hackers, not because of something on Sony's side.

Having said that, I've been fine except for that one day (and later that night it was back up). Games and downloading stuff from the store works fine. I haven't had to mess with MTU, though I have had my DNS set to Google's, but that was before this stuff started happening.

Mine was down so changed MTU settings but still couldn't get PSN to log in.

So turned off the Ps4 and back on and I was automatically signed in once it came back up

Working fine now

I was having similar issues. First I turn off the connection on the internet on the PS4 and then reboot it. After the reboot I disconnected the wifi if it automatically set on then I connected manually to the wifi and then changed the MTU to 1473. The initial connection to PSN during the test will tell you that it failed, but if you try to log in manually to PSN either on the PSN settings or trying to access the store or your trophies you should get online.

I say this because after Xmas I couldn't get online even after changing the MTU but after disconnecting and reconnecting manually my WIFI everything worked since and I haven't been disconnected from PSN since.

Thanks a lot buddy, that worked! Now I can browse the store, which is the reason I was trying to connect in the first place.

D-Man

This is getting really annoying. PSN was working just fine on my PS3 earlier today but now I can't even get into the PS Store on my Vita. Jeez...

LifEndz

PSN up for me in NYC. Had to unplug my modem and plug it back in, but that worked. Now the destiny servers are down.

LakeEarth

Inconsistent for me as well. This afternoon I had no problem playing online on my PS4, now I can't connect with either MTU settings. My PS3 is still doing okay though.

keezy

This is hilarious. Sonys lack of competency with regards to their networks infrastructure is going to be the punch line to DDoS attacks for years to come. Keep up the great work.

Popsickles

Strange that I've not had anywhere near as much trouble as others. I'm in UK and have been fine for last couple of days. Try shutting the PS4 right down and rebooting your routers. I do have mine in a DMZ with static IP as well though.

Arklite

^ Yeah I haven't had further issues since the day after Christmas. Southwest US, no setting changes or anything. Luck of the draw it seems.

fritzo

Sony really needs to do something to assure us consumers (not just gamers) that PSN will be more stable going forward. PSNow is out and PS Vue will debut soon. Our confidence in PSN is dwindling.

vypek

Got back from a trip, turned on PS4 and could not connect.

Turned off my PS4, reset my router and then I could connect perfectly. No change to MTU

Muzy72

Banned
Bleh, is PSN still having problems? I tried playing with a friend earlier today but it wasn't working, hoping it works in 2 hours when I get back home :/

Guymelef

fguawoJ.png

It works for me with MTU on auto now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ask PlayStation twitter just posted if you are still having problems post here http://community.us.playstation.com...EEDBACK-PSN-Connectivity-Issues/td-p/44845576 with the following:

Console affected
Error(s) received - please be specific (screenshots welcome)

wish their auto error report thing logged this stuff

fguawoJ.png

It works for me with MTU on auto now.

i.e. they rolled back to whatever they were doing previously lol

Oh hey. I was just able to sign in. Yay (sarcasm) Cool. I can enter the DLC code for Alien Isolation I got 4 days ago for Christmas. Fucking amateur hour. This is the kind of shit that makes me want to only buy first party exclusives for PS4 and rely on Steam for everything else. I have an Xbox One too. Haven't turned it on since March? But like, I'm sorry Sony. Resolution, FPS, etc. don't mean shit if people can't access your service. I'm not saying I'm suddenly buying my games for Xbox One, but holy fuck your network sucks. Like it's terrible. If I didn't have a PC I would have given up on PSN now.

Sylver

Banned
I've finally been able to sign in on PSN without changing MTU options. I hope Sony extend my Plus trial which expires in 7 seven days all these lost days.

clintar

So are we still going to act like Sony isn't screwing up on their maintenence and that the DDOS attacks have persisted for 5 days now?

No way, not after this, and I apologize for giving you a hard time about it. Though initially, I'm sure it was the attack, it sure seems like they were scrambling and going nowhere forever. I was online since the night after Christmas, the amount of people not able to connect for so long is terrible. Hope they step it up after this.

JackTorrance

Neo Member
Still can't get on, just get a generic "Cannot communicate using SSL" error with no code.

The MTU fix from earlier never worked for me either, same error. This is getting ridiculous.

My PSN seems faster now with the MTU than it previously did with it set at automatic...
I'm wondering if something changed on the PSN. I'm noticing much faster speeds as well, but I never made MTU changes. Before my network tests would top out at 20mbps and I'm getting just below 60 now.

Edit: Web PS Store seems much more responsive as well.

Juice

Can't play any of my damn PS4 games because the PS4 I want to play is not activated as my primary.

I REALLY think Sony should figure out a way to grant license unlocks when PSN is offline. Separate that server or something from the rest of their services and give it some kind of generous failover, maybe?

saunderez

Ive been able to sign in on console just fine, but I havent been able to get into the web store for many days. Just me?
Web store is working fine here, not sure what the problem is on your end. I've used it a few times over the last couple of days and just checked prior to posting this.

I can sign in and connection tests work fine but my download speeds are abysmal (even for my satellite connection), I've been trying to download Dragons Dogma Dark Awakening for nearly 2 weeks now and its only 60% done, I should download 12 GB in under 36 hours. Maybe Sony's doing some kind of defensive stuff that plays really poorly with the large Ping times on satellite (especially when the satellite is overloaded due to it being school holidays).

Top Bottom