• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

Zaptruder

Banned
With all the hype from E3 for the Vita and the general bagging of the 3DS, things seem to be finally going Sony's way.

But if I recall correctly, this was a similar situation to the one Sony and Nintendo found themselves in with the NDS and PSP.

i.e. the NDS released to lukewarm reception, and the PSP came into steal the thunder completely.

Of course not everything is the same... so with that in mind, lets figure out the differences of circumstances.

What's different this time where the situation won't repeat itself like last time?

And what are the things Sony might want to be cautious of in order to temper their expectations despite the reception for the PSV so far?

e.g.

what's different is that both handhelds are going to be in the same range cost wise. Games wise they sound like they're about the same price too.

What Sony might want to be cautious of is developmental costs; the graphics are great, but will developers be driven off because the cost to make their games look on par with the system will cost more than they'll be rewarded with?

Especially with reduced cost per unit of game sold? Have handheld games really sold truck loads on the basis of their graphics as well?

So... is history going to repeat itself? Or has Sony managed to tweak the details just right so they'll come out ahead this time?

StuBurns

Banned
All the mistakes the PSP made the 3DS is actually making, and the PSV seems to have countered them potentially.

The only thing that matters is software. Personally the PSV line up is already outclassing the 3DS's, but it's early going. Ultimately the 3DS will have the better library.

Izayoi

Banned
NINTNEDO SUX

prove me wrong

In all seriousness though, competition is good. I hope all of this awesome news about the Vita has lit a fire under Nintendo's ass. They need to get their shit in gear.

Suzzopher

StuBurns said:
All the mistakes the PSP made the 3DS is actually making, and the PSV seems to have countered them potentially.

The only thing that matters is software. Personally the PSV line up is already outclassing the 3DS's, but it's early going. Ultimately the 3DS will have the better library.

Sony seem to be handling the Vita the same way Microsoft did the 360 to begin with. I approve.

Nintendo seem to be handling the 3DS the way they handled GameCube.

Jarmel

Banned
AndHereWeGo.gif

Momo

Banned
StuBurns said:

Dat 3DS launch lineup
pukes

For me it simply rests on who gets Monster Hunter, while keeping an eye on if Phantasy Star Online 2 ever gets ported.

Games the key with Vita you just be getting water down PS3 games not a bad thing but then if you have a ps3 is that what you want?

3DS games so far are looking more unique

StuBurns

Banned
Raistlin said:
gaf ... you heard it here first

this is FACT
Sure is. The 3DS will have bespoke software, and the PSV will have a fuck ton of ports. Bookmark this post for evidence of my prescience.

Alrus

I think both of them will sell decently, but there's no way to decide of a "winner" before both of them launched for at least two years.

Also Monster Hunter will only matter for Japan, it will not make or break the success of one of the handheld worldwide.

French said:
You mean the same Nintendo games that we've been playing for like, 25 years ?

How exciting.

You're clearly a troll, but yes, people are still excited by nintendo software.

Morokh

I really think that sales-wise the gap will be really closer with the price being the same.

But all in all, it will all come to the games and from this point of view, the 3DS will surely have a really good end year with Mario in the pipes (huhu unintended joke xD)

On a more personal note I can really see myself buying Vita right now which has never be the case at any time for PSP.

AniHawk

jump_button said:
Games the key with Vita you just be getting water down PS3 games not a bad thing but then if you have a ps3 is that what you want?

both are getting mostly console-ish games, at least from the first parties.

warthog

I was kinda interested in the 3DS, but it's expensive for what it is. PSV seems to offer better value.

I think both will do good, but we won't see the differences in success as with ds vs psp.

Suzzopher

jump_button said:

Sound Shapes looks more unique than any 3DS game announced.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure the Vita will be a nice console but right now it provides a near identical experience to the PS3 with a first party slate near indistinguishable from the original PSP and I have no interest in that at all. The 3DS has Nintendo titles, and it has them in 3D.

leaning towards Vita. Well, leaning.. i'm almost there. I think the DS3D is a bit of a disappointment. Grahics wise and i don't really care for the 3D.

Might buy it later on for the excellent Nintendo games and some third party games.

Zaptruder

Banned
I wonder how big a factor online will be this time around.

One of the big differences is that people have become much more accepting of purchasing digital downloads in the last 6-7 years. Faster internet connections and more bandwidth available on average. Also wireless and all that.

To which Sony has responded with a very aggressive online oriented strategy; including a 3G variant of the PSV - it's obvious they intend to promote that facet heavily over the lifetime of the Vita.

But Nintendo is of course not without their own online strategy; how does it stack up against each other though? And will the kind of developers that make games for iPhone/Android also be interested in bringing games to the PSV/3DS?

What kind of limitations are there with either system? (3DS uses a low res touch screen; doesn't compare well against phones or PSV - increases compatibility issues in their graphical assets, and makes it more of a chore to port).

Would posters here say that Xbox Live and PSN services have been the defining critical differences between the X360 and PS3? (ignoring the hacking) - will that difference carry over to these handhelds?

The OP should simply say "fight" and this should be stickied, with all port-begging and trolling confined to this thread.

As a serious answer: how this plays out is too early to tell. Lots of room for manouvre on both sides vis a vis features, bundles and pricing. I think they'll both do very well.

Nimajneb

Vita will offer a more current gen console-like experience. 3DS will have Nintendo games, plus more unique games and things like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and a ton of oldschool JRPGs.

Both will be worth owning.

M.D

Alrus said:
It will also sell about 10 copies.

That higher than any 3DS game sold :p

I actually think Vita will have better 3rd party support.
I will get 3DS for Nintendo games, of course.

3DS while less powerful will have more games that appeal to a wider audience.

You cannot beat Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, and Mario Kart.

Uncharted looks pretty neat-o though.

Top Bottom