• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

Replicant

Was going to buy 3DS, until I tried my brother's 3DS. It made me realize once again how much I hate 3D. Yeah, you can turn off the 3D but then I don't see the point of buying one especially when I can just hassle my brother when I want to play one.

I'm thinking of buying PSV but I'm still not sure if I really need a handheld. I have many games on my iPhone that I don't play and God knows I don't play my PSP that much either. But I have to admit the price/software combination/region-free-ness of the console is very tempting. Maybe I'd get one if there is one of those special game-branded console like special edition Silent Hill PSV.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm Getting major flashbacks here....is this going to be basically the same fight as last time just each competitor having more muscle so to speak???

either way hopefully the handheld market continues as is, and Apple doesn't destroy it.

Riposte

The M.O.B said:
Vita launch will be rubbish outside of Uncharted so I will wait on buying that.

Can you list the launch? I don't know it yet. Wipeout must also be in there.

jufonuk said:
I'm Getting major flashbacks here....is this going to be basically the same fight as last time just each competitor having more muscle so to speak???

either way hopefully the handheld market continues as is, and Apple doesn't destroy it.

Two sticks and quality puts Vita in a very different spot, one which PSP simply couldn't reach. Then there is the price and the fact Vita has better touch screen. It is quite different, but, yeah, maybe Apple makes it so no one wins expect for lucky shitty iOS devs who are trending on twitter.

PSV's upcoming system selling software so far includes Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone. Combined the top selling games in those series sold... 10-12 million?

3DS' upcoming system selling software so far includes Mario Kart and... well, the last Mario Kart sold over 26 million copies. Don't even to need to list anymore, 3DS already leads by a wide margin.

Both wins for me.

The Vita has better value and more control possibilities unlike the PSP and its single analog stick (and fucked up dpad of the first model).

But the 3DS has the nice 3D effect, the must have Nintendo titles and unlike the DS, the games looks good enough. We're finally done with the ugly PS-one level graphics.

Izayoi

Banned
M.D said:
The only question is, will there be worth while 3rd party games to fill the gaps between Nintendo releases? Are you OK with it if it ends up like GameCube and Wii?
I'm absolutely okay with that. Nintendo makes fantastic games, even if there were no third party support at all (which obviously is not the case), it wouldn't matter.

The M.O.B said:
What? The NGP's launch lineup looks fucking great.

StuBurns

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Lies. Uncharted, Sound Shapes and Stardust Delta. If it's only those three it's a better launch line up than typical, and it obviously won't just be that.

MrCookiepants said:
PSV's upcoming system selling software so far includes Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone. Combined the top selling games in those series sold... 10-12 million?

3DS' upcoming system selling software so far includes Mario Kart and... well, the last Mario Kart sold over 26 million copies. Don't even to need to list anymore, 3DS already leads by a wide margin.

Mario Kart DS sold 20 million, versus about 7 million with Double Dash!!. This can be directly attributed to the DS' success. If the Vita fixes the piracy problems with the PSP, it is pretty well guaranteed to far exceed sales expectations for these console series.

M.D

The M.O.B said:

Don't have one yet but the 3DS has some great games finally coming in fall to early 2012 so I shall be forced to buy it by years end.

Not interested in the least bit of the ps3 downports on vita so i'm going to wait until I see some solid high quality releases.

Outside of Street Fighter X Tekken, which could very well have unique features, can you list 1 game that is a direct port of a PS3 game to the Vita?

Gravijah

Amir0x said:
Please.

Wipeout is infinitely more important than any of those games.

Wipeout 2048 for the ultimate win

Free Wipeout HD basically sold me on the series for the rest of time.

DiscoJer

I am a huge PSP fan (I have 3 PSPs, 50 UMDs, and 15 gigs of games from the PSN store, plus I volunteer writing reviews at a PSP site) but I really dislike how the PSV seems to be mostly a PS3 spin-off machine.

Yes, it has some non-spinoffs like Reality Fighters and Gravity Daze and Soundscapes. But those look like PSN download title quality (well, it's hard to say with Gravity Daze), rather than AAA stuff. They are more like LocoRoco and Patapon and Holy Invasion of Privacy. (Well, Reality Fighters looks more like a crappy Move game, but the other two are promising)

I really was hoping to see AAA titles based on new IP, exclusively for the PSV. To give it its own identity. And to appeal to me as someone that doesn't have a PS3, and so doesn't care about the latest adventures of the guy from Uncharted. (As an aside, I honestly believe that Sony thinks that everyone with a PSP owns a PS3, going by the PS+ fiasco, it only being accessible for those with a PS3, but being advertised for all PSN users)

I mean, they added a second stick to make it work with FPSes. Why not have a killer app FPS at launch? Something SF-ish. Nintendo seems to be trying to do that with the Wii U and that Aliens game.

I guess I can understand what Sony is doing - after all, they tried just that with the Syphon Filter re-boot on the PSP. Amazing games that no one played.

I'll definitely be buying a PSV, if only to play my PSN games on a screen that doesn't stink, and with a second stick, and Ruins looks like it could be very good.

But what is going keep the people who buy it for Uncharted, after they finish it in 10 hours or whatever?

StuBurns

Banned
Amir0x said:
Please.

Wipeout is infinitely more important than any of those games.

Wipeout 2048 for the ultimate win
Maybe if they can get it past thirty fails per second. It looks surprisingly rough right now.

The M.O.B said:

Don't have one yet but the 3DS has some great games finally coming in fall to early 2012 so I shall be forced to buy it by years end.

Not interested in the least bit of the ps3 downports on vita so i'm going to wait until I see some solid high quality releases.

Just because they're console type games put into the portable space does not make them downports, anymore than Mario Kart 3D and Animal Crossing 3D are downports.

Riposte said:
The 3DS is a pretty shitty piece of hardware and will only be in fun in spite of it. So it is really, really hard for me to even consider it in the face of the Vita. I really don't know if I can deal with anymore terrible 3D. I mean I will if the game is good enough, but damn it.

EDIT: A lot of best 3DS titles are remakes and I get the feeling the Vita will end up winning in that department thanks to PSN.

The hardware is fine. It blows away the DS in every way.

The 3D is about as good as 3D gets. It does make the games look better. When you watch the trailers in 3D on the DS you will notice the difference. And oh yeah, you can turn it off.

I think the big difference will be the games. The titles that are coming this year look outstanding. Currently it has no competition. Has it been confirmed that Vita will be available for Christmas?

M.D

MrCookiepants said:

Didn't GameCube also had Mario, Zelda and Metroid?

Yeah absolutely no interest in Uncharted portable at all (and I'm a fan of the series).

Is it confirmed that you can play every PSN game you own on the Vita? (sorry I'm not too informed on the machine).

I would play the shit out of stuff like BGandEvil and Siren.

Replicant

The M.O.B said:

Er, isn't the other way around? From what I can gathered, while many PSV's title are spin-off of existing franchise, they are not ports of existing franchise. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Dragon's Crown, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Daze, Sound Shapes are all original titles. Whereas Metal Gear Solid 3DS, Street Fighter IV 3D, and Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D, BlazBlue 3D are basically 3D ports of existing games on consoles.

richman555 said:

The 3D is about as good as 3D gets. It does make the games look better. When you watch the trailers in 3D on the DS you will notice the difference. And oh yeah, you can turn it off.

I think the big difference will be the games. The titles that are coming this year look outstanding. Currently it has no competition. Has it been confirmed that Vita will be available for Christmas?

I'm sure that I'm paying for this 3D that I can turn off, which really doesn't do much at all to improve the gameplay experience. Without the 3D, the 3DS is just a DS 1.5. It's basically PSP.

StuBurns

Banned
richman555 said:

PSV is next year outside of Japan it seems.

And the 3D is not as good as it gets, the resolution is dog shit.

Izayoi

Banned
Negator said:
What IS Vita's launch lineup?

And how long is it going to take for people to stop calling it NGP?
Not final obviously, but:

vitagameprice.jpg

Also, I will never stop calling it the NGP because while it's still bad, it's nowhere near as insulting as the abomination of a name it has now.

I'm not really convinced Sony is putting the software backing they should into Vita

I mean Nintendo is obviously pouring all their resources into 3DS at the moment, which is why the Wii library is so dry. Sony should be doing this too, and its not like PS3 would be struggling for games anyway with its third party support

All we've got is games by B-developers IMO

Negator

Discotheque said:
Is it confirmed that you can play every PSN game you own on the Vita? (sorry I'm not too informed on the machine).

You can play every PSP game you downloaded on PSN, and (presumably) every PSOne classic and PSP mini.

DiscoJer

Replicant said:
Er, isn't the other way around? From what I can gathered, while many PSV's title are spin-off of existing franchise, they are not ports of existing franchise. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Dragon's Crown, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Daze, Sound Shapes are all original titles. Whereas Metal Gear Solid 3DS, Street Fighter IV 3D, and Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D, BlazBlue 3D are basically 3D ports of existing games on consoles.

Dragon's Crown is also on PS3...

(So is Ruin for that matter)

_Xenon_

Banned
Izayoi said:
Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Animal Crossing...

This is very much still up in the air.

Calling a victor right now is incredibly short-sighted.
This sounds like a 3DS version of "just wait for ..." or "XXXX is the year of 3DS".

At the beginning, people buying NDS because it's cheap and it has casual games. You can't deny the fact that the majority of the first batch of NDS audience were those non-gamers who'd like to spend 10-30 mins on brain training & nintendog on their way work / home. It only got all those 3rd party big hits once its initial install base had built up (thanks to the casuals).

Now the casual market has almost been taken by iphone / android phone, the initial sales of 3DS is lacking, the 3D gimick isn't that hot as marketed, and you know the core Nintendo fans are not enough to support a system alone (see gamecube, which had all the games you listed). I believe this time Nintendo just bet the wrong horse (3D) and it will eventually bite their ass.

Rhindle

Salacious Crumb said:
Well, the 3DS has been released to the public, the Vita has not. How many 3rd parties had 3DS' at their booths last year?
OK, let me rephrase that. There's virtually no 3rd party Vita support on display, regardless of whether the displaying is being done.

Izayoi

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm sure that I'm paying for this 3D that I can turn off, which really doesn't do much at all to improve the gameplay experience. Without the 3D, the 3DS is just a DS 1.5. It's basically PSP.
Wow.

_Xenon_ said:
Now the casual market has almost been taken by iphone / android phone, the initial sales of 3DS is lacking, the 3D gimick isn't that hot as marketed, and you know the core Nintendo fans are not enough to support a system alone (see gamecube, which had all the games you listed). I believe this time Nintendo just bet the wrong horse (3D) and it will eventually bite their ass.
Oh god.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

El-Suave

Eventually I will own both - but I didn't get a 3DS yet and I plan to wait for a new color option or two.
I'm a bit more excited for Vita right now - the price point seems fair and that goes a long way to me being there at launch. Also the fact that the PS3 is my main console at the moment and I'm hoping for some cool connectivity stuff.

Replicant

DiscoJer said:
Dragon's Crown is also on PS3...

And it's likely released at the same time as PSV version. Many games do come out at the same time for both PS3 and XBox 360 and no one call either version ports. I use 'ports' to call games that have been on one specific console a long, long time ago but being dragged back to another new console for more cash-milking (ie. Metal Gear Solid 3DS).

Riposte

richman555 said:

Wtf, it is not fine. Blowing away an antiquated-at-launch 5 7+ year old portable is fucking nothing.

StuBurns

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
I'm not really convinced Sony is putting the software backing they should into Vita

I mean Nintendo is obviously pouring all their resources into 3DS at the moment, which is why the Wii library is so dry. Sony should be doing this too, and its not like PS3 would be struggling for games anyway with its third party support

All we've got is games by B-developers IMO
I disagree, they have some of their best teams on PSV, Media Molecule for one, the Wii right now is a disgrace because Nintendo don't support it. Sony should front all of their systems. Maybe PSV will get a Team ICO title after TLG, but the teams are neck deep in stuff, they can't all just move on right now, and soon they'll need to be on PS4, it's much more important than PSV.

DiscoJer

Discotheque said:
But not PSN games right?

It can't play PS3 games.

It can play PS1, PSP, and Minis.

It's unknown about the games for the TG-16 emulator (I would hope so) or the Neo Geo games (presumably it would play the PSP versions if you own those).

Riposte

Izayoi said:
Not final obviously, but:

vitagameprice.jpg

Also, I will never stop calling it the NGP because while it's still bad, it's nowhere near as insulting as the abomination of a name it has now.

I don't see any Ridge Racer, this launch is rubbish.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
3D is such a stupid gimmick. I played a 3DS for ten minutes in a store and that was enough to realise it adds nothing to games, and makes me feel ill afterwards.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ipod touch scratches that 'fancy as fuck gadget' itch.

So whichever one has mario gets my cash.

Izayoi

Banned
Riposte said:
I don't see any Ridge Racer, this launch is rubbish.
Hahaha. It's already been announced, so we know it will be there. Like I said, not final.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
3D is such a stupid gimmick. I played a 3DS for ten minutes in a store and that was enough to realise it adds nothing to games, and makes me feel ill afterwards.
I think the 3D is very pleasing, visually, and it gives me no problems with headaches or illness.

It makes my brother's head explode when he looks at it for more than five minutes, but he loves it.

Riposte

Dynamite Shikoku said:

I heard Excite Bike's image changes with the sliding. That could make 3D more than a gimmick, but will it ever be used? Probably not.

Salacious Crumb

Izayoi said:
Oh god.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

You might not agree with him but it's a conversation worth having. The iPhone/iTouch are more than capable of keeping the brain age/nintendogs crowd happy, plus the devices have the added benefit of being 'cool' which is dumb, but it's the truth, apple products are desirable. It'll be interesting to see how much the handheld landscape has changed, but it's still too early to make a call yet.

jump_button said:
Games the key with Vita you just be getting water down PS3 games not a bad thing but then if you have a ps3 is that what you want?

3DS games so far are looking more unique

I don't think that's fair though. Putting aside your 3DS comment, I think that only applies to Uncharted. It's amazing how people are ignoring stuff like Sound Shapes and Gravity. Even titles like Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet are clearly very, very well suited to the platform.

I think they have a very strong line-up actually.

gerg said:
Wait until TGS for Japanese game announcements of games, and then ask that question again.

Japanese games (on Vita) don't drive sales outside Japan TBH. Didn't work for PSP, won't work for Vita.

StuBurns said:
I disagree, they have some of their best teams on PSV, Media Molecule for one, the Wii right now is a disgrace because Nintendo don't support it. Sony should front all of their systems. Maybe PSV will get a Team ICO title after TLG, but the teams are neck deep in stuff, they can't all just move on right now, and soon they'll need to be on PS4, it's much more important than PSV.
Media Molecule is not developing LBP on Vita. Who else? The A-teams are Naughty Dog, Sucker punch, Insomniac, Team ICO, Media Molecule, Santa Monica, thatgamecompany... Guerrilla even. When I see even one of these teams on PSV I'll be convinced

The console being "much more important than PSV" is entirely the wrong attitude. If Sony has that attitude, how can they expect 3rd parties or fans to think differently?

Suzzopher

get2sammyb said:
I don't think that's fair though. Putting aside your 3DS comment, I think that only applies to Uncharted. It's amazing how people are ignoring stuff like Sound Shapes and Gravity. Even titles like Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet are clearly very, very well suited to the platform.

I think they have a very strong line-up actually.

The worst thing is, that the 3DS has a number of GameCube style experiences coming and yet that isn't a problem.

herod

PSP was initially interesting as a tech toy, but ultimately got supplanted by the home consoles, which were ultimately more interesting.

I expect exactly the same fate for Vita, only with the addition of smartphones and tablets to further compound its misery.

Nintendo still have major classic franchises that it can afford to make exclusive on the 3DS. Sony can never afford not to fully support the PS3/4, to the detriment of the PSP and soon the Vita.

This is how I see history repeating itself given all the information I have seen to date.

Sony is aiming at a market that is a lot more fickle. Vita doesn't seem to deliver anything that will be particularly unique within 18 months of its launch.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
One will have Zelda, Mario and Pokèmon. The other one will have games I might actually care about.

Won't buy any of them unless there's an exclusive God of War game for PSV

Gravijah

Combichristoffersen said:
One will have Zelda, Mario and Pokèmon. The other one will have games I might actually care about.

Won't buy any of them unless there's an exclusive God of War game for PSV

You say that like it's not going to happen.

Top Bottom