• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

StuBurns said:
All the mistakes the PSP made the 3DS is actually making, and the PSV seems to have countered them potentially.

The only thing that matters is software. Personally the PSV line up is already outclassing the 3DS's, but it's early going. Ultimately the 3DS will have the better library.

If the third parties line up behind Vita and Sony after seeing the lackluster sales of 3DS then I'm not sure you will be correct. 3DS will have great first party software, but I don't see third parties supporting it with original content they won't also bring to PSV, in fact given how poorly 3D has been received I expect 3DS will get many down ports but not much original content.

Chinner

Banned
the 3ds has loads of games i mean ermmm err ehhh mario and mario kart woah thats a shit load of games that only babbys want to because hey babby likes mario gaa gooo goo mario same shit for 20 years ga goo gooo

The 3DS games they showed looked absolutely brilliant.

That being said... I NEVER get a region locked portable so Nintendo lost me.

Sony is doing well with the Vita hardware... games wise not so much IMHO. I will wait a bit to see what happens after a year or so, but I am interested.

Suzzopher

The always connected nature of Vita means I'll be taking this with me, far more than my 3DS. The online and social connectivity on Vita is already sounding a generation ahead of 3DS.

Don't get me wrong, Super Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario are ahead of any Vita game in my most wanted list, but Vita seems to offer far more.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AFAIK, most of the Vita line-up is exclusive so far.

Now, if we're talking about 'console-ish' vs non 'console-ish' games, as opposed to ports, I think that's an area that's getting very murky indeed, and Nintendo seems as happy as Sony to pursue those types of games if possible, but not exclusively - as with Sony. I also think most of the more original experiences are more likely to come from 'smaller' games anyway, and Sony's strategy here is more interesting to me and may address that end of things a lot more convincingly. Sony has shown 'big' console-ish stuff, smaller quirky stuff that is more built around Vita's inputs, and still has Suite to debut.

BUT ANYWAY, on the OP's question, I think price and the broader landscape is what's different now. I think arguably also both Sony and Nintendo were hungry last time, but one competitor seems to have gotten a fair bit more complacent. Sony's approach to content and differentiation has changed.

First two bits re. price and context will be the biggest factors in any differing outcome though.

dejay

Banned
One has dual analogues and a big screen you don't have to squint to see, but won't be that portable. The other is the 3DS.

StuBurns

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
If the third parties line up behind Vita and Sony after seeing the lackluster sales of 3DS then I'm not sure you will be correct. 3DS will have great first party software, but I don't see third parties supporting it with original content they won't also bring to PSV, in fact given how poorly 3D has been received I expect 3DS will get many down ports but not much original content.
That's an interesting possibility, and you're right, it's far from clear right now. PSV will be getting PS360 games, and none of that stuff I care about, it'll be better on PS360, but given the touch screen UIs, there is a chance for plenty of cross pollination in the libraries.

Amir0x

Banned
The thing is the 3DS hasn't had a lukewarm reception among the press.

In fact, for the 3DS, most people predicted its immediate success and prompt destruction of NGP. So if things turned out that way, it would be exactly what people expected. Which is the opposite of what happened with the NDS.

People are surprised at the Vita's price and how Sony seems to be getting it in under at the right value, but I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

I don't believe Vita will be a big success.

Negator

DieH@rd said:

Both look great.

I can't complain.

x1ali0.jpg

vall03

I dont know, the 3DS is starting to look lackluster at the moment but remember, Nintendo has this one little cheat button that would make it sell like hotcakes.

PSVita on the other hand, sounds impressive the more we know about it, we will know once its out in the market.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Chinner said:
the 3ds has loads of games i mean ermmm err ehhh mario and mario kart woah thats a shit load of games that only babbys want to because hey babby likes mario gaa gooo goo mario same shit for 20 years ga goo gooo

That's a lie and you know it

Mario has been the same shit for close to 30 years, Super Mario Bros. was released in 1985. Derp.

Alrus

Suzzopher said:
So that discounts the title as a unique experience?

No but I think that game hardly matters on a larger scale. Don't get me wrong it looks really cool but it won't drive system sale and that's not what's gonna help Sony sell more systems. (obviously they have other games for that)

Izayoi

Banned
Chinner said:
Hahaha.

Negator said:
Both look great.

I can't complain.

http://i56.tinypic.com/x1ali0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Idorts unite!

Suzzopher

Alrus said:
No but I think that game hardly matters on a larger scale. Don't get me wrong it looks really cool but it won't drive system sale and that's not what's gonna help Sony sell more systems. (obviously they have other games for that)

But I was responding to the "PS3 ports derp" "3DS has more unique games derp" comments going on in this thread.

It won't drive system sales, but it was a counter argument to the stupid comments.

StuBurns

Banned
Alrus said:
It sold me on a system. That's one.

Suzzopher said:
But I was responding to the "PS3 ports derp" "3DS has more unique games derp" comments going on in this thread.

It won't drive system sales, but it was a counter argument to the stupid comments.
How is one game (first party at that) a counter to that argument? You're derpping all over the place dude.

Kozak

Banned
The Vitas touch screens are dumb. I swear to you the touch screens will be the downfall of the Vita.

Salacious Crumb

If the Vita is air tight in regards to piracy and it hits the ground running in Japan I think we could see some very cool titles show up on the platform *fingers crossed*

I'm surprised no ones talking about the effect the iphone and the ipod touch specifically has had on the handled market.

Amir0x

Banned
Alrus said:

They have lots of games that don't look like scaled down PS3 titles, though. So if the uniqueness of their lineup is what matters to you, then Sound Scapes is absolutely relevant - as is Gravity Daze and Little Deviants and Reality Fighters and all the other purely unique Vita experiences which don't have console equivalents and, on top of that, benefit from the Vita's absolutely unprecedented combination of control opportunities which are vastly beyond the competition's litany of control options.

I hate this gimmick shit but if that's what you're looking for, uniqueness, there is now no argument that Vita doesn't do its own thing.

Suzzopher

StuBurns said:
It sold me on a system. That's one.

How is one game (first party at that) a counter to that argument? You're derpping all over the place dude.

How so? The general points were the Vita will have nothing but ports or less unique games than 3DS. Sound Shapes shows that won't always be the case. We'll see unique software, Sony support and encourage these sort of titles. To write off Vita as a port machine is stupid at this stage. If this time next year all we have is Sound Shapes and ports, then by all means write it off. But now? Give it a chance.

StuBurns

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
If the Vita is air tight in regards to piracy and it hits the ground running in Japan I think we could see some very cool titles show up on the platform *fingers crossed*

I'm surprised no ones talking about the effect the iphone and the touch specifically has had on the handled market.
Touching didn't make the iDevice market viable for gaming, the App Store and iPhone did, a ubiquitous spec and awesome distribution system.

The exact same thing would have happened if the iPhone had buttons.

Suzzopher said:
How so? The general points were the Vita will have nothing but ports or less unique games than 3DS. Sound Shapes shows that won't always be the case. We'll see unique software, Sony support and encourage these sort of titles. To write off Vita as a port machine is stupid at this stage. If this time next year all we have is Sound Shapes and ports, then by all means write it off. But now? Give it a chance.
I'm the person who said the 3DS would have a better library, more unique games, I never said it would have none. You could post a list of unique PSP games too, that doesn't mean the DS didn't have more.

NewFresh

I love how the Vita looks but I think it will have the same problem that the PSP did. People do not want console experiences that could be on a TV, on a handheld. But Maybe that is a Handheld problem and not necessarily a Vita specific one

Salacious Crumb

I meant the ipod touch lol. It's anecdotal I know, but the kids I know seem more interested in owning an ipod touch than a dedicated handheld

Having played all the 3DS games at E3, the 3DS has a great lineup of games coming out soon. It really restored my faith in the thing. Although, the Vita does look fuckawesome and I got to play LBP on it and loved it.

Sean

Banned
Nintendo can easily drop the cost of 3DS and gain a pricing advantage. I expect they will do exactly that this fall (at the bare minimum, some sort of bundle). I doubt it costs Nintendo anywhere near $250 to manufacture the 3DS so they've got plenty of wiggle room to react to Sony's aggressive Vita pricing. There's also the inevitable 3DS Lite as a counter.

I think the handheld war is gonna play out the same as PSP vs DS, only difference is that 3DS and Vita are probably going to sell far less units than last gen because of iPhone/touch.

_Xenon_

Banned
This time it's different: same price + 3d view isn't that hot.

I can't see what else 3DS can do to beat PSV.

M.D

polyh3dron said:
Having played all the 3DS games at E3, the 3DS has a great lineup of games coming out soon. It really restored my faith in the thing. Although, the Vita does look fuckawesome and I got to play LBP on it and loved it.

How many of those awesome games were 3rd party?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo need to revise the 3DS battery as the life on this thing sucks...(or I need that chunky replacement battery)

as for Software It is getting there Slowly, Nintendo should really have held off to about Sept this year to release the 3DS but never mind...

E3 software shown whets my appetite can't wait for Mario 3DS and the Resi Games (again battery life)

Ghost Recon is by far and way my most played 3DS game to date.

Alrus

Amir0x said:
I hate this gimmick shit but if that's what you're looking for, uniqueness, there is now no argument that Vita doesn't do its own thing.

Oh I totally agree with that. The Vita has a lot of things differentiating from consoles/3ds. We have yet to see if they'll be used in an interesting way by most games though. As long as the touch screens aren't used in totally pointless ways (see Dynasty Warriors) we could see a lot of interesting things coming out for it.

Suzzopher said:

Plus all the other nintendo franchises that sell a ton more than anything else on handhelds. They may not sell nearly as well as on the ds, but considering most of them still sold millions on the gamecube I hardly see them failing on the 3ds.

Izayoi

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
This time it's different: same price + 3d view isn't that hot.

I can't see what else 3DS can do to beat PSV.
Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Animal Crossing...

This is very much still up in the air.

Calling a victor right now is incredibly short-sighted.

M.D

Gravijah said:
Why does that matter, to be honest?

It the only thing that matters, because we know that every Nintendo console will have Nintendo games

The only question is, will there be worth while 3rd party games to fill the gaps between Nintendo releases? Are you OK with it if it ends up like GameCube and Wii?

Gravijah

M.D said:
It the only thing that matters, because we know that every Nintendo console will have Nintendo games

The only question is, will there be worth while 3rd party games to feel the gaps between Nintendo releases? Are you OK with it if it ends up like GameCube and Wii?

Personally? Yes. I buy my Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Third party exclusives are just icing on the cake.

Acheteedo

From my own perspective, which may or may not speak to a wider view, I was intrigued by the PSP but just went with the DS due to a) the games and b) the PSP was utterly nerfed by having one nub for analogue control while trying to imitate console games.

This time it's different in that the Vita's two analogue sticks plus Uncharted have completely sold me on a day one purchase of the system, while I'm still waiting on the games for the 3DS.

Any of the neat game concepts brought to life by the DS's touch screen are entirely possible on the Vita now. In fact, it's the Vita that can achieve what the 3DS can not (except things using both screens, but that almost always amounted to a menu screen).

So I'll be picking up a Vita on day one, while keeping an eye on the 3DS for the good games to start appearing. So how it ends up depends entirely on the library, but as it stands now the Vita is head and shoulders above the 3DS.

Sadist

As it stands now, I think techwise the PS Vita will obviously give you more bang for the buck when comparing the prices. PS Vita certainly has a chance of hurting Nintendo and the 3DS. Personally I really like the latter aswell.

But, at this point I think I'd rather choose the 3DS. I'm still dissapointed about the Vita third party announcements (SF x Tekken, BioShock en that Vanillaware game are awesome exceptions) and I honestly expected more. In that regard Nintendo has a lot more game I want. All the Nintendo games, RE Revelations, Mercenaries 3D, MGS 3D, the Labyrinth rpg and others.

So, I'll take the 3DS over the Vita. (Which coucl change in the coming months)

Amir0x

Banned
Alrus said:
Oh I totally agree with that. The Vita has a lot of things differentiating from consoles/3ds. We have yet to see if they'll be used in an interesting way by most games though. As long as the touch screens aren't used in totally pointless ways (see Dynasty Warriors) we could see a lot of interesting things coming out for it.

I pointed out no less than four games in the post you quoted that demonstrate the "interesting ways" it'll be utilized; and I can list at least a dozen. That's almost half of everything they've shown so far.

People have this revisionist history bent on Vita for some reason. I think they're in shock that Sony is releasing the control splooge handheld this time and Nintendo isn't.

Rhindle

M.D said:

The only question is, will there be worth while 3rd party games to fill the gaps between Nintendo releases? Are you OK with it if it ends up like GameCube and Wii?
Nintendo consoles are generally not dependent on the quality of third party releases, whereas Sony consoles are. Vita has no presence at E3 outside the Sony booth, whereas 3DS titles are everywhere. So not sure this line of argument points in Sony's favor.

Sadist said:
As it stands now, I think techwise the PS Vita will obviously give you more bang for the buck when comparing the prices. PS Vita certainly has a chance of hurting Nintendo and the 3DS. Personally I really like the latter aswell.

But, at this point I think I'd rather choose the 3DS. I'm still dissapointed about the Vita third party announcements (SF x Tekken, BioShock en that Vanillaware game are awesome exceptions) and I honestly expected more. In that regard Nintendo has a lot more game I want. All the Nintendo games, RE Revelations, Mercenaries 3D, MGS 3D, the Labyrinth rpg and others.

So, I'll take the 3DS over the Vita. (Which coucl change in the coming months)

From my POV, I saw a huge drop in third party support - most of what the 3DS had revealed for third parties at E3 was the standard multi-console stuff.

Riposte

The 3DS is a pretty shitty piece of hardware and will only be in fun in spite of it. So it is really, really hard for me to even consider it in the face of the Vita. I really don't know if I can deal with anymore terrible 3D. I mean I will if the game is good enough, but damn it.

EDIT: A lot of best 3DS titles are remakes and I get the feeling the Vita will end up winning in that department thanks to PSN.

gerg

A Link to the Snitch said:
From my POV, I saw a huge drop in third party support - most of what the 3DS had revealed for third parties at E3 was the standard multi-console stuff.

Most of the support for the 3DS (and the Vita, for that matter), will come from Japan, which is why TGS will be more showing of what games are in development for each system.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Suzzopher said:
You can turn it off. The games will still play the same.

Didn't know this. Still, at the same price point Vita seems like it'll be more bang for buck. Then again, software will eventually determine that. That's why I'll get one in 2012 when hopefully it has a bit more than just its launch lineup, and I'll be set.

The M.O.B

Vita launch will be rubbish outside of Uncharted so I will wait on buying that.

Don't have one yet but the 3DS has some great games finally coming in fall to early 2012 so I shall be forced to buy it by years end.

Not interested in the least bit of the ps3 downports on vita so i'm going to wait until I see some solid high quality releases.

Salacious Crumb

Rhindle said:
Nintendo consoles are generally not dependent on the quality of third party releases, whereas Sony consoles are. Vita has no presence at E3 outside the Sony booth, whereas 3DS titles are everywhere. So not sure this line of argument points in Sony's favor.

Well, the 3DS has been released to the public, the Vita has not. How many 3rd parties had 3DS' at their booths last year?

Top Bottom