• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

scoobs said:
this is the problem with nintendo consoles/handhelds. Everybody just buys the nintendo games and 3rd parties get no sales. I think nintendo is gonna do their damnedest this generation to get 3rd parties on board, hope people buy-in and start helping out those third parties

The only way I would have bought third party games like RE and MGS on the 3DS are if the 3DS was atleast reasonably close in power level to the Vita.

I know for a fact that MGS will be coming out on the Vita, and RE will debut on their at some point. So why would I buy a crappy looking MGS, when we know a far superior one will be showing up on the Vita. Ditto for Resident Evil and all the other big third party games.

When you cripple the hardware, you neccesitate that games on your system look much worse than they do on competing systems. As far as third party games go, you take away any incentive people have to purchase them on your system.

And the next thing you know, third parties are fleeing your system in droves and Nintendo is left wondering why.

I didn't buy a 3DS for MGS or RE. The 3DS versions will look like crap compared to how those games look on every other system. I bought the 3DS for Mario 3DS, Mario Kart and Smash Bros, because those I can't play better looking versions of. And once I get sick of those games, I'll sell off the 3DS.

I really hope both are wildly successful and we have a healthy competitive handheld generation for once in my life. I also hope that this competition will further define a profitable market for handheld games that aren't cell phone games.

Snipes424

Aquavelvaman said:
I really hope both are wildly successful and we have a healthy competitive handheld generation for once in my life. I also hope that this competition will further define a profitable market for handheld games that aren't cell phone games.

I second this.

Chatin

At this point, there is nothing software or tech wise with the PSVita that has attracted me. But the price alone will probably have me buying one for the few Square Enix games the thing will end up getting.

My support is primarily behind the 3DS, but I expect a much tighter race this time around.

Sidenote: Zelda looks amazing in 3D. Made me say "Wow" about a game for the first time in a while.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mockingbird said:
nintendo and pokemon vs. monster hunter. Which one will parents buy for their kids?
We know the answer but who cares really. I think it will not be a lopsided Nintendo victory this time around. VITA has a lot going for it.

Sianos

Aquavelvaman said:
This exactly what I hope for from this gen.

Healthy competition ensures both companies will be packing their A game.

StuBurns

Banned
Somnid said:
I got that for free in a box of cereal once.
That's not an indication of quality...

beyond_good___evil_15496.jpg

Grimmy

Banned
John Harker said:
As I said, at the show, it's pretty much the opposite. The Vita just isn't being talked about, the lines aren't that long (not that the 3DS line is either), the community just isn't betting on it right now. I think Sony has a big hill to climb, not a lot of people made money on the PSP, and with the shift in market interest in the last 5 years or so to cheap, disposable games, big budget handheld titles from Western developer's is just really low on their priority lists.

That's quite the opposite of the press I've read - people saying that the line was as long as the 3DS' line when it was first unveiled...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1175199p1.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/e3-2011-hands-on-sony-playstation-vita/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2298...ation_vita_impressive_hardware_game_play.html

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/sonys-playstation-vita-first-hands-on-impressions/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43331814

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/sony-playstation-vita-first-hands-043900110.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...-games-preview-from-uncharted-to-wipeout-2048

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...1/06/e3-2011-hands-on-with-playstation-vita/1

Grimmy

Banned
After Nintendo's announcement of the Wii U, one would think that Sony's new handheld gaming device, the PSVita, would have to come with a rotating disco ball attached in order to get any attention. But the successor to the PlayStation Portable (PSP) has not had any trouble wowing attendees at this week's E3 convention in LA, impressing journalists with its sleek design, sheer processing power, and promising line-up of launch titles.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...tation-vita-20110610-1fw2v.html#ixzz1OrYpVvHz

Kolgar

1) If the Tekken tech demo for 3DS is any indication of the final game (great-looking models, runs at 60fps in 3D), then the system is significantly more capable than we thought.

2) Has it been confirmed--really, truly confirmed--that Pita games will sell for $40? Because I don't believe it. With PS3-level production values come PS3 production costs. That's got to give devs and publishers pause on a handheld.

3) They're both in for an uphill battle against smartphones and tablets.

4) I hope they hold their ground.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kolgar said:
1) If the Tekken tech demo for 3DS is any indication of the final game (great-looking models, runs at 60fps in 3D), then the system is significantly more capable than we thought.

2) Has it been confirmed--really, truly confirmed--that Pita games will sell for $40? Because I don't believe it. With PS3-level production values come PS3 production costs. That's got to give devs and publishers pause on a handheld.

3) They're both in for an uphill battle against smartphones and tablets.

4) I hope they hold their ground.
Not necessarily.

Gravijah

Kolgar said:

I hope you're not calling it the Pita because of PlayStation Vita. Just call it the Vita, people.

StuBurns

Banned
Jarmel said:
Btw, where is the best chance for Vita's launch date to be announced?
They should be producing about a million a month for a November release in Japan, they'll need a few million units, they should know exactly the production rates in time to announce the WW dates at GamesCon I'd imagine.

dalin80

Banned
Grimmy said:
After Nintendo's announcement of the Wii U, one would think that Sony's new handheld gaming device, the PSVita, would have to come with a rotating disco ball attached in order to get any attention.

The only way for the wii U's launch to be any worse was if nintendo forgot to turn up, and when it did get shown the general response has been 'meh'. Compared to that the vita launch was spot-on.

painful fart said:
I agree, those games also looked pretty different to me, not any obvious cannibalisation.
the point i'm trying to make isn't that you have 11 very similar games... it's that those are 11 first party titles. i can't think of any launch that had nearly that many first party titles.

you spread your first party titles out so as A: to not compete with yourself and B: to ensure at least a drip feed of games after launch.

Replicant said:
Back up, you drama queen. So I'm not exactly accurate on my wording, boo-fucking-hoo! But there is SFIV game on iPhone.
and it ISN'T comparable to the home console versions in its feature set. it isn't comparable to the home console versions. the 3DS version is. there was a PC version with the full feature set.

i don't dispute your point, i just really wish you wouldn't bring up drastically inferior cut down versions of these games as if they are a direct substitute for any of the other versions espescially when you missed off full grown versions on PC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StuBurns said:
They should be producing about a million a month for a November release in Japan, they'll need a few million units, they should know exactly the production rates in time to announce the WW dates at GamesCon I'd imagine.

Surely for the first month after launch, say, they'd need only around a million for Japan?

IIRC that's how much 3DS did in its first month in Japan. Certainly don't need to accumulate a few million before they can launch. If they did have a few million (e.g. 4m) they could do a WW launch easily.

StuBurns

Banned
gofreak said:
Surely for the first month after launch, say, they'd need only around a million for Japan?

IIRC that's how much 3DS did in its first month in Japan. Certainly don't need to accumulate a few million before they can launch. If they did have a few million (e.g. 4m) they could do a WW launch easily.
Yeah I'd say that's true, I didn't mean they need millions specifically for Japan. It's poorly worded though. Tretton said they're launching first in Japan this year, and the other two regions will have it by the end of fiscal, but it depends on production rates. Given the line up, they're pushing the Western titles harder, I still believe the US will get it November. They'll need maybe four million units for the two regions.

I think both will be worth owning in the end. I'm imagining Vita as having far better third party support, but Sony first party IPs just dont interest me (disliked Uncharted 2, LBP, etc...). Meanwhile I think the 3DS will barely get any third party support, but I'm very interested in 1st party Nintendo IPs and Pokemon. Hell, Starfox 64/Kid Icarus/Animal Crossing/Super Mario/Paper Mario 3DS/Luig's Mansion 2 alone are enough to make the system worth it for me. I only wish I hadn't been an early adopter since I expect a significant price drop.

spwolf

inner-G said:
That USA Today hands-on was really positive.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...1/06/e3-2011-hands-on-with-playstation-vita/1

Most amazing is the Vita is incredibly light, considering everything packed on the device. The Vita features a beautiful, 5-inch multitouch screen, rear touch on the back of the handheld, two thumbsticks, front and rear cameras, SixAxis motion controls, built-in GPS, Wi-Fi and 3G.

In terms of size, the Vita is about the same as Sony's older PSP models. The device feels comfortable in your hands, and the thumbsticks are easy to access and maneuver.

While LBP was a great demonstration of the Vita's features, the handheld adventure of Nathan Drake was a showcase in power. The game looks absolutely stunning, far better looking than anything on any handheld device.

There will also be a version of Wipeout where Vita players can battle PS3 owners online.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just to note, little big planet is confirmed not to be a launch title for Vita. I think this is smart not too take away the hype train from wipeout and uncharted. lbp vita needs it's own space to shine.

Virtua Tennis 4, however, confirmed launch title. Which makes things harder for me lol.

Clunker

I have a 3DS and am very interested in a Vita, but the main reason I jumped in on the 3DS at launch was because I was hoping for the waves of JP third-party support that the DS won over. Capcom's stuff has been super-fly (love SSFIV, looking forward to RE: Mercenaries), but the almost complete dearth of third-party announcements on 3DS really surprised me this E3.

I'll be looking to TGS to see where Eastern third-parties begin to cast their lots. I'm already operating under the assumption that Western devs aren't going to give a shit about 3DS, and they might be more inclined to work with Vita but I'm still not fully convinced of such. But if Eastern developers start putting more support behind the Vita, I'm worried that the 3DS will end up being a first-party machine with the occasional SE game or something. And Nintendo's first-party output (beyond Mario platformers and Mario Kart, which forever get love in my heart) really isn't doing anything for me nowadays.

Bad_Boy said:
Just to note, little big planet is confirmed not to be a launch title for Vita. I think this is smart not too take away the hype train from wipeout and uncharted. lbp vita needs it's own space to shine.

Virtua Tennis 4, however, confirmed launch title. Which makes things harder for me lol.
this needs to be repeated and bolded. people always go mad at these sort of things presuming that everything shown off is going to be a launch title, and it never turns out to be the case.

as i said before, there was no way all those first party titles were going to be launch titles. not because they couldn't pull it off, but because it doesn't make sense to do it.

Top Bottom