• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

Sony definitely took the gimmick wars seriously this time. That will sell consoles, at least. But if all they have are handheld versions of popular console franchises, they will have missed the point once again. That is more boring to me than Nintendo releasing a version of Tetris, Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda on everything they make, which is already pretty damn boring. On the bright side, the games will be much more playable this time. PSP controls made me stop playing games I wanted to play.

Special J said:
^i dont know why that was so hard to understand for some :/

Because you have no idea what you're talking about. Aside from the scratching issue, every other design feature was a deliberate decision for a PRACTICAL purpose. Read the Iwata Asks on it. It's already in its refined form. It's smaller than the DSLite already!

You people are hilarious.. still making conclusions based on E3, after this methodology has failed since..oh I don't know, forever. What makes you think the Vita will be any more successful than the PSP? The PSP didn't even have to contend with hundreds of millions of iOS owners.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
You people are hilarious.. still making conclusions based on E3, after this methodology has failed since..oh I don't know, forever. What makes you think the Vita will be any more successful than the PSP? The PSP didn't even have to contend with hundreds of millions of iOS owners.
What methodology is that?

Apath

TheDrowningMan said:
Well it looks that way at the moment. It's receiving a lot of software that isn't done to death every year, which the PlayStation isn't as yet. However, there's plenty of time for that to change.
Nintendo 3DS Launch Titles:
First Party
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • Nintendogs + Cats
Third Party
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • Ridge Racer 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • Bust-A-Move Universe
  • Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Playstation Vita Speculative Launch Titles
First Party
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • WipeOut 2048
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • ModNation Racers
  • Ruin
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Little Deviants
  • Gravity
  • Sound Shapes
  • Hustle Kings
Third Party
Unknown

EDIT: Not trying to start a list war. Just showing the ratio of first party titles to third party titles for the 3DS launch, and how we have no info of 3rd party titles for the Vita launch yet.

Ploid 3.0

Chuck Norris said:
What methodology is that?

Nintendo can't lose, sony can't win.

And didn't nintendo try to go with a powerful handheld this time as well? Although to me it don't look all that powerful but they seem to have that idea especially looking at the price of 3ds.

FoneBone

distrbnce said:
Ack, well I think you're wrong back.

Imagine if the PS3 had one analog stick, will you?

The software was bad because the developers had no solution.

Many of those games would have gone from serviceable to great with simply an extra stick.
I'm talking more about sales and the overall perception of the platform than individual game quality. Maybe it's a tomayto,tomahto thing.

But console spinoffs on the PSP typically had worse graphics, lower production values, and less content than their console counterparts. The controls were only part of the perception problem.

Xilium

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
The iOS demographic and the PSP/Vita demographic are wholly different groups. The cellphone market will be more an issue for the 3DS than for the Vita.

Kenak said:
Nintendo 3DS Launch Titles:
First Party
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • Nintendogs + Cats
Third Party
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • Ridge Racer 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • Bust-A-Move Universe
  • Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Playstation Vita Speculative Launch Titles
First Party
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • WipeOut 2048
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • ModNation Racers
  • Ruin
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Little Deviants
  • Gravity
  • Sound Shapes
  • Hustle Kings
Third Party
Unknown

EDIT: Not trying to start a list war. Just showing the ratio of first party titles to third party titles for the 3DS launch, and how we have no info of 3rd party titles for the Vita launch yet.

That's all true, and that's partly why it could change. I just don't want to see a repeat of the PSP where with a lot of its top software, the only differentiator between that and PS2 entries in the same series is that the handheld versions were inferior. There were a few exceptions, but not many, so I'm really hoping that, say, Uncharted isn't just mimicking the PS3 iterations while not achieving the same level of quality, but actually does something to make it stand out.

I'm not saying that console games shrunk down and adapted to fit a handheld are necessarily bad - not at all, I've enjoyed plenty - but when the whole system is based around these games which are ostensibly the same but still fall short, as I think the PSP in large part was, that's a little bit more of an issue.

onQ123

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

neither did the DS

Special J

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Because you have no idea what you're talking about. Aside from the scratching issue, every other design feature was a deliberate decision for a PRACTICAL purpose. Read the Iwata Asks on it. It's already in its refined form. It's smaller than the DSLite already!

yes i know he said they exhausted their "tricks" to making it smaller but it was at the time they developed it, power savings and components get cheaper. but what the hell do you think hes going to say? our console is shit? hes going to say its awesome especially when it was that close to launch. It will do you good to look at the big picture.

Call of Duty Vita could be huge if it makes out this holiday season.

A game like Batman Arkham City could be massive as well. It all depends on how easy it is to port PS3 games to the Vita.

Kenak said:
I'd say the difference, graphics wise, between the 3DS and the Vita is insignificant when you compare the two console's control methods and feature sets. Having two analogue sticks is huge.

Except now the PSP is the one with all the advantages? Before the DS had its touch screen. Now the Vita has it and then some. The DS has gained an analogue nub, but that wasn't exactly great on the PSP. Now the PSP has two sticks.

We're also talking same price, no UMD drive, and a full fledged online system (speculating) for the PSP.

I can tell you the reason I didn't get a PSP was not because it didn't have a touch screen. It was because the games were nothing I couldn't already play on another system I owned.

3DS doesn't have this problem.

onQ123

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What does the cross platform with PS3 exactly mean? You can play PS3 games on PSVita, but with slightly less graphics than the PS3 counterpart?

you can play against people on PS3 using your PS vita & also start a game on PS3 & leave home & finish it on the Vita.

Riposte

Special J said:
^it can either go two ways, ppl continue to buy psps at an alarming rate which means it would compete against itself or because the psp has established good branding it will help the transition from psp to vita.

Doesn't it make more sense to release it in the US first, before holiday? The PSP is still strong. Or maybe if someone buys a PSP recently they won't buy a Vita.

It is too bad Vita isn't launching with a MH expansion... could have been something else.

EDIT: Comparing third parties before TGS seems premature. Then again, Capcom and Konami had good reason to show titles during e3.

onQ123

60_gig_PS3 said:
I can tell you the reason I didn't get a PSP was not because it didn't have a touch screen. It was because the games were nothing I couldn't already play on another system I owned.

PSP don't have that problem

Xilium

Special J said:
i dont see third party investing in vita either, unless they're console ports and at that point why even bother.

heres the thing vita is powerful but that just means longer and more expensive development, if its rendering between a ps2 and ps3, the cost of development is simply too risky for a platform which wont hit 1-2 million for quite a while. and even then most third party get what maybe 1-5% attach rate and thats IF they're amazing.

isnt it a quad core arm? mulithreaded development for handheld is kinda nuts and these games are going to sell for $40? how would a publisher even break even.
Well most third party developers weren't getting good sales on the DS either. Unless you were one of the big named franchises on that console, you were pretty much regarded as shuffleware. As many games as there were that did well on the console, significantly more tanked. Moving over to a console with a smaller library/developer pool could help to get their game some recognition.

Also, developers need to recognize the systems primary demographic. A sizable chunk of the bestselling DS games are games targeted towards children. If you're a developer that doesn't want to make those types of games, the Vita (or PSN/XBLA) would be a good place to go instead.

Special J said:
yes i know he said they exhausted their "tricks" to making it smaller but it was at the time they developed it, power savings and components get cheaper. but what the hell do you think hes going to say? our console is shit? hes going to say its awesome especially when it was that close to launch. It will do you good to look at the big picture.

It's also good when you aren't so incredibly paranoid that you can't trust anything said by developers. It's one thing if they simply talked about what went into it, it's another when they specifically address every single design decision and how they made it as small as they could. Even looking at pics of the system opened up there isn't any empty space at all.

Not to mention, Iwata and most Nintendo execs are DEVELOPERS not PR people. They know their hardware and software as well as the teams actively working on them.

onQ123 said:
you can play against people on PS3 using your PS vita & also start a game on PS3 & leave home & finish it on the Vita.

Paying twice for a system+portable and twice for two games(same game with lower detail)? No thanks.

Cromat

Akainu said:
All these people complaining about console like games on the psp aren't going to buy Resident Evil Revelations right? Or Zelda OoT 3D? OR didn't buy Street Fighter 3D?

Beautiful.

It's exactly the same as the people who used to laugh about FPS and dudebro space marine games and then proceed to hype a game like The Conduit when it appears on Wii.

jump_button said:
Games the key with Vita you just be getting water down PS3 games not a bad thing but then if you have a ps3 is that what you want?

3DS games so far are looking more unique

Umm.........no. If anything 3ds is weaker if you rule out the N64 and PS2 ports (if you have played these before) for me I like replaying classic games.

As for the original question it depends on what you want to compare. Graphics - Vita hands down 3ds can't even keep up, Unique - again Vita 3DS is essentially DS with a wide screen 3d top. Games - Tie, after e3 with Mario and Luigi's mansion 2, Mario Kart and Paper Mario 3DS looks great but I'm not sure if it looks better then Uncharted, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, SFxTekken, Gravity Daze,Sound Scape, and Dragons Crown. Oh and then there is that Vita Bioshock title......

Cromat said:
Beautiful.

It's exactly the same as the people who used to laugh about FPS and dudebro space marine games and then proceed to hype a game like The Conduit when it appears on Wii.

fanboys tend to do that, but people are dumb what are you going to do.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
syoaran said:
These types of post I don't understand. So an equal price point means that the software exclusive to the 3DS no longer matters to you? If that software wasn't interesting, then why even consider buying a 3DS in the first place?

What's not to understand? I could go either way as I enjoy franchises from both companies. But if Sony's giving me a Ferrari for the same price as Nintendo's Hyundai I'll take the Ferrari.

TheBanditKing said:
Umm.........no. If anything 3ds is weaker if you rule out the N64 and PS2 ports (if you have played these before) for me I like replaying classic games.

As for the original question it depends on what you want to compare. Graphics - Vita hands down 3ds can't even keep up, Unique - again Vita 3DS is essentially DS with a wide screen 3d top. Games - Tie, after e3 with Mario and Luigi's mansion 2, Mario Kart and Paper Mario 3DS looks great but I'm not sure if it looks better then Uncharted, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, SFxTekken, Gravity Daze,Sound Scape, and Dragons Crown. Oh and then there is that Vita Bioshock title......

They obvious, they wont look better but they'll have better gameplay than the majority of that list.

3DS has way more power than PSP, what's with this 3DS~DS bs?

The main problem of Vita is that it will compete with 2nd gen 3DS games with more userbase, more risky titles. You don't launch over-innovative games for a system launch, specially if you're a 3rd party.

ShinUltramanJ said:
What's not to understand? I could go either way as I enjoy franchises from both companies. But if Sony's giving me a Ferrari for the same price as Nintendo's Hyundai I'll take the Ferrari.

Yup, I feel the same way (and yes I already own a 3DS) and I think a lot of people are going to come to the same conclusion once they see the two next to each other. The graphics and the screen alone will convince most, especially at the same price.

ksamedi

I think the problem on Vita will be budgets. Western developers will not spend tens of millions on handheld games so from that perspective the hardware power of the Vita will probably work against it. Ports will come, I guess, but westerners prefer the console versions. I have some hope for Japanese development, but with the focus from Japanese devs on the west these days, the situation could end up the same, lots of ports and little original content.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

damisa

At the end the games are what matters, and nintendo has franchises (like pokemon) that will probably sell better than the top 5 sony first party titles combined.

I expect 3DS will sell at least 2x as much as vita, but I believe both 3DS and Vita will do worse than DS/PSP. I also expect western devs to ignore handhelds again.

ksamedi said:
I think the problem on Vita will be budgets. Western developers will not spend tens of millions on handheld games so from that perspective the hardware power of the Vita will probably work against it. Ports will come, I guess, but westerners prefer the console versions. I have some hope for Japanese development, but with the focus from Japanese devs on the west these days, the situation could end up the same, lots of ports and little original content.

Just like PSP, games won't be limited to big budgets titles

Cromat

60_gig_PS3 said:

You're absolutely right.
Where else could you play games like Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64 and Metal Gear Solid 3?

TAS

I have a $400 gift certificate from EB that was supposed to go towards a 3DS purchase. I ended up canceling that order and saving the certificate for PSV. That's huge considering I'm a diehard Nintendo fanboy. Btw..that doesn't mean I'm not buying a 3Ds period..just that I'm going to wait for a revision. ;)

60_gig_PS3 said:

It's the complete opposite for me. There were plenty of PSP games that weren't available on any other system, so far the only 3DS games I'd be interested in are all ports.

onQ123 said:
Ryoma-Echizen said:
Paying twice for a system+portable and twice for two games(same game with lower detail)? No thanks.
Shhh, don't jinx the hussle.

KAL2006

Banned
Ryoma-Echizen said:

Who said you have to buy both versions, cross compatibility can be an advantage if you only buy one version. For example if Vita players can play against PS3 players, you can still play against the PS3 online community and your online friends even though you only have the Vita version, so the online community is not split but even bigger. It is like say if PS3/360 versions are cross compatible for online play, you obviously won't buy both versions, but there is a huge advantage by being able to play with a much larger online community. You also continue to see friends, stats, rankings, messages and etc, no matter what version you have. And graphics may not always be worse, for example Street Fighter X Capcom can have the potential to look identical to the console versions, except the OLED screen would make the game look better, plus it is likely the Vita price of the game would be cheaper. I wouldn't say getting multiplatform games on Vita is a negative, it gives the user a choice if they want to buy the game for handhelds or consoles. For example if Sonic Generations, Twisted Metal, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 came to Vita, I would buy them on Vita as I think I would get more play time for those games on a handheld.

Xilium

ksamedi said:

Don't you mostly buy Japanese developed games for your handhelds anyway? I don't think I own a single handheld game developed in the west. Uncharted will likely be the first game to change that.

As for the PS3/Vita cross-overs, if Sony is smart about it, for any PS3 game that is released that will have a compatible Vita game, the Vita game should be included in the inevitable collectors edition for $15/20 more. That's probably wishful thinking though.

ksamedi

Chuck Norris said:
Just like PSP, games won't be limited to big budgets titles

In terms of exlusives, its costs a lot more to develop on Vita. Sony will probably push the graphics, increasing the pressure on other publishers to do so as well.

onQ123 said:
neither did the DS

Your point? It still raped the PSP. I'm saying people are confidently predicting the fates of the 3DS/Vita based on their perceived E3 performance.. which history has shown is a ridiculous exercise.

KAL2006

Banned
Xilium said:
Don't you mostly buy Japanese developed games for your handhelds anyway? I don't think I own a single handheld game developed in the west. Uncharted will likely be the first game to change that.

Exactly, western games are not even that popular on handhelds wether on DS or PSP (of course there are some exception here and there). But because Vita is similar to 360/iOS/PS3/PC/Android, I expect more western 3rd party support on Vita. And who says budgets have to be large, games that I am seeing on Vita are ranging from high budget like Uncharted, to low budget like Sound Shapes and Super Stardust.

ksamedi

Xilium said:

Yes I definitely do but the pressure on Japanese developers will rise as well. I mean, I can't imagine a big FF title coming to the system like type 0 without a serious budget. Same for Metal Gear. A lot of RPG's will have to sell a significant amount of copies to be viable and that's what worries me the most.

ksamedi said:
In terms of exlusives, its costs a lot more to develop on Vita. Sony will probably push the graphics, increasing the pressure on other publishers to do so as well.
Most of Sony's games are not graphically intensive, and they've started a publishing fund for games like Sound Shapes so I don't really think you can say Vita is only catering to high budget games.

ksamedi

Chuck Norris said:
Most of Sony's games are not graphically intensive, and they've started a publishing fund for games like Sound Shapes so I don't really think you can say Vita is only catering to high budget games.

Well, unless Sony creates something like Brain Age, meaning a big hit title with a small budget, I don't see small budget games selling Vita's.

KAL2006

Banned
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Your point? It still raped the PSP. I'm saying people are confidently predicting the fates of the 3DS/Vita based on their perceived E3 performance.. which history has shown is a ridiculous exercise.

No one is saying E3 win means Vita will destroy 3DS, in fact I expect 3DS to sell more just because of Nintendo games, but I expect Vita to take a lot of the marketshare from Nintendo this time around. And the situation is way different to PSP this time around, Sony have seemed to learn a lot. The price is competitive unlike PSP. The control issues are fixed for dual analogs. 3Ds doesn't have the extra unique control advantage such as touchscreen anymore and etc. With DS, Nintendo hit it big with unique experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs (how did the new one do by the way), I just have a feeling this isn't going to happen again (if it does it won't be as big), and Vita has the capability to now copy experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs with it's touchscreen.

Ryoma-Echizen said:
They obvious, they wont look better but they'll have better gameplay than the majority of that list.

3DS has way more power than PSP, what's with this 3DS~DS bs?
Umm.....no and prove it. I won't hold my breath waiting either as your statement is based only on your opinion of games no one has played yet. I am comparing the games only from what we were shown so there is no way you can say Mario and Luigi's Mansion will play better (or be better) then Uncharted, Gravity Daze or Dragons Crown. News flash not every Nintendo game is instantly amazing.

The 3DS to DS compare - from a unique functionality stand point the 3DS is not much more then a DS with a 3D screen and better graphics. Same type of touch screen with stylus input, dual screen display, Camera/AR game play (Foto Showdown being a small likely only example). Sure there is the Accelerometers and the dual cameras but really we have had this tech before. I think from a new gameplay perspective the Vita offers a bit more because of the two touch panels which work in conjunction with all the other control options, along with the PS3 compatibility to swap saves and such.

matmanx1

I guess I am in the minority then because I actually WANT console like experiences on my handheld gaming system. My favorite handheld games tend to be ones that are especially unique to the system (like 999 on the DS) or higher production value fare like the God of War games on the PSP or DQ 9 from the DS, either of which could have been just as good (or better) on a home console.

I think it's fantastic that I can play these fully featured, high production value games while sitting next to my wife on the couch as she's watching her evening TV. Or I can play them while on a road trip or vacation and not feel like I'm sacrificing a whole lot of what's important to me in a game.

I will ultimately own both systems as I tend to support just about everything. I'll cherry pick the games that interest me most from both systems but I don't ultimately know which system will end up getting the lion's share of my time and wallet. Vita certainly has the edge in feature set and horsepower over the 3DS but ultimately it's all about the quality of the game and at this point it's too early to tell who's going to come out on top.

onQ123

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

History only can show you what was & not what's going to be

TheBanditKing said:
Umm.....no and prove it. I won't hold my breath waiting either as your statement is based only on your opinion of games no one has played yet. I am comparing the games only from what we were shown so there is no way you can say Mario and Luigi's Mansion will play better (or be better) then Uncharted, Gravity Daze or Dragons Crown. News flash not every Nintendo game is instantly amazing.

The 3DS to DS compare - from a unique functionality stand point the 3DS is not much more then a DS with a 3D screen and better graphics. Same type of touch screen with stylus input, dual screen display, Camera/AR game play (Foto Showdown being a small likely only example). Sure there is the Accelerometers and the dual cameras but really we have had this tech before. I think from a new gameplay perspective the Vita offers a bit more because of the two touch panels which work in conjunction with all the other control options, along with the PS3 compatibility to swap saves and such.

Lol. Why are you bringing up Vita games when he says the 3DS is stronger than the PSP. And DS is substantially more powerful than the DS, don't try to downplay it.

matmanx1 said:
I guess I am in the minority then because I actually WANT console like experiences on my handheld gaming system. My favorite handheld games tend to be ones that are especially unique to the system (like 999 on the DS) or higher production value fare like the God of War games on the PSP or DQ 9 from the DS, either of which could have been just as good (or better) on a home console.

Well I guess we are both in the minority because I feel the same way.

Zoramon089 said:
Lol. Why are you bringing up Vita games when he says the 3DS is stronger than the PSP. And DS is substantially more powerful than the DS, don't try to downplay it.
I'm bringing up Vita games because he seemed to be stating that the 3DS games i listed were automatically better then then Vita ones. So yes 3DS is light years a head of DS but thats not what we were talking about in the op, were we?

Delio

I have a 3DS right now but i hope the Vita does much better! It deserves to sell better than the 3DS and hopefully stuff like mario and such dont propell the 3DS. They need a swift kick in the balls and maybe losing one gen in the handheld space will give Nintendo some edge next time.

Top Bottom