• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

KAL2006 said:
No one is saying E3 win means Vita will destroy 3DS, in fact I expect 3DS to sell more just because of Nintendo games, but I expect Vita to take a lot of the marketshare from Nintendo this time around. And the situation is way different to PSP this time around, Sony have seemed to learn a lot. The price is competitive unlike PSP. The control issues are fixed for dual analogs. 3Ds doesn't have the extra unique control advantage such as touchscreen anymore and etc. With DS, Nintendo hit it big with unique experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs (how did the new one do by the way), I just have a feeling this isn't going to happen again (if it does it won't be as big), and Vita has the capability to now copy experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs with it's touchscreen.
Why? People so easily forget that nobody actually expected games like Nintendogs and Brain Training to be big. Those games caught everyone off guard, no reason to think Sony or especially Nintendo couldn't come up with something that really blows up the market.

Also, just because something will be possible on the one system now doesn't mean that nullifies the advantage if the game happened to be big first on the other system; the advantage remains. It's kind of like how GTA, Mario, Pokemon or Call of Duty or Gears of War are still king despite many copycats. There's a reason for that, the brand that established the market will almost certainly be bigger than the me-toos.

Also people need to remember the headstart the 3DS already has. The thing could have a 10 million userbase by the time the Vita hits all territories.

Xilium

Magicpaint said:
Why? People so easily forget that nobody actually expected games like Nintendogs and Brain Training to be big. Those games caught everyone off guard, no reason to think Sony or especially Nintendo couldn't come up with something that really blows up the market.
I think the issue this time around is that those are the exact types of games that would work better on smartphones. Both the simplicity of the game design and target audience of those games would be much better served on the smartphone.

That's not to say that it is impossible I just think that the casual gamer would rather pay $5 for angry birds (or whatever the iOS equivalent is for brain age) than $40 for brain age 3.

Xilium said:
I think the issue this time around is that those are the exact types of games that would work better on smartphones. Both the simplicity of the game design and target audience of those games would be much better served on the smartphone.

That's not to say that it is impossible I just think that the casual gamer would rather pay $5 for angry birds (or whatever the iOS equivalent is for brain age) than $40 for brain age 3.
That's a good point but Nintendo's evergreen style titles continue to sell for a reason: they're only available on the DS. If what Nintendo/Sony comes out with is something that is exclusive to their platform, then I don't think it will matter as much. Though I remember Brain Age launching at a cheaper price point than your average DS game in the UK (£20 as opposed to £30/35).

kuroshiki

Magicpaint said:

Also, just because something will be possible on the one system now doesn't mean that nullifies the advantage if the game happened to be big first on the other system; the advantage remains. It's kind of like how GTA, Mario, Pokemon or Call of Duty or Gears of War are still king despite many copycats. There's a reason for that, the brand that established the market will almost certainly be bigger than the me-toos.

Also people need to remember the headstart the 3DS already has. The thing could have a 10 million userbase by the time the Vita hits all territories.

Speaking of which how is 3DS selling right now? Is it really going to reach 10 million by end of this year?

kuroshiki said:
Speaking of which how is 3DS selling right now? Is it really going to reach 10 million by end of this year?
I think it was at about 3.6m by the end of March (shipped)...I don't think it will hit 10 million by year's end though, but a very good holiday season could push it close enough.

Replicant

60_gig_PS3 said:
3DS doesn't have this problem.
The last time I checked, I can play MGS3 on PS2, SSFIV on PS3, 360, iPhone, and ditto with Resident Evil and BlazBlue. When you don't use the 3D function, those games are nothing more than old ports of existing game.

Kenak said:
Playstation Vita Speculative Launch Titles
First Party
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • WipeOut 2048
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • ModNation Racers
  • Ruin
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Little Deviants
  • Gravity
  • Sound Shapes
  • Hustle Kings
Third Party
Unknown

EDIT: Not trying to start a list war. Just showing the ratio of first party titles to third party titles for the 3DS launch, and how we have no info of 3rd party titles for the Vita launch yet.
there is no way that the Vita sees eleven first party titles at launch. no way. the cannibalisation would be horrible.

Replicant said:
The last time I checked, I can play MGS3 on PS2, SSFIV on PS3, 360, iPhone, and ditto with Resident Evil and BlazBlue. When you don't use the 3D function, those games are nothing more than old ports of existing game.
i'd take you seriously if you weren't telling me i could play SSFIV and Resident Evil on iPhone. swap out iPhone and put in PC and then i agree with you. with iPhone in there. it's really really hard for me to take what is a fair point seriously.

syoaran

ShinUltramanJ said:
What's not to understand? I could go either way as I enjoy franchises from both companies. But if Sony's giving me a Ferrari for the same price as Nintendo's Hyundai I'll take the Ferrari.

To take your analogy, it doesn't matter what car you have if you don't have a road to drive it on.

i.e currently there's a strong announced lineup for the 3DS this year vs not much at all for the Vita outside the launch window. You play games machines for their software, not how fast the processor is or how much RAM its running. If you want Mario/Layton/Zelda etc, your going to buy a 3DS.

If you didn't care about exclusive games, then why even consider a 3DS prior to launch? Sony were going to release a more powerful portable unit, they characteristically always go for the most powerful unit.

Cromat

KAL2006 said:
No one is saying E3 win means Vita will destroy 3DS, in fact I expect 3DS to sell more just because of Nintendo games, but I expect Vita to take a lot of the marketshare from Nintendo this time around. And the situation is way different to PSP this time around, Sony have seemed to learn a lot. The price is competitive unlike PSP. The control issues are fixed for dual analogs. 3Ds doesn't have the extra unique control advantage such as touchscreen anymore and etc. With DS, Nintendo hit it big with unique experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs (how did the new one do by the way), I just have a feeling this isn't going to happen again (if it does it won't be as big), and Vita has the capability to now copy experiences like Brain Training and Nintendogs with it's touchscreen.

I expect the 3DS to perform much better than the Vita. Perhaps no like DS vs. PSP, but still much better.
The Vita still seems (so far) more interesting to me.
The Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 by a large margin but it still had less interesting games.
I liked the DS because it had tons of great games. The PSP had a few gems but not as much in my eyes.

French said:
You mean the same Nintendo games that we've been playing for like, 25 years ?

How exciting.

I really like this argument. I hear it every single day and it never gets old. Same franchise does not equal same game.

Edit: why can't we just enjoy both handheld and stop all this versus shit. Both will have great games and both deserve to succeed. Actually, I'm a little pissed at nintendo for overpricing their latest handheld.

dark10x said:
I agree.

However, the 3D comes at the expense of image quality. A higher resolution OLED screen (the current pinnacle of display technology) produces a far more impressive image than what you get with the 3DS in 3D. Both are impressive in their own right, but the 3D aspect of the 3DS screen is overshadowed by its low resolution and low brightness. OLED screens are just breathtaking (can't wait until they can produce something like that in a large size).

Gotcha, I can definitely roll with that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Zaptruder said:
With all the hype from E3 for the Vita and the general bagging of the 3DS, things seem to be finally going Sony's way.

As I said, at the show, it's pretty much the opposite. The Vita just isn't being talked about, the lines aren't that long (not that the 3DS line is either), the community just isn't betting on it right now. I think Sony has a big hill to climb, not a lot of people made money on the PSP, and with the shift in market interest in the last 5 years or so to cheap, disposable games, big budget handheld titles from Western developer's is just really low on their priority lists.

Not that the 3DS is fairing significantly better, but you just hear a general more optimistic tone now that Nintendo revealed a major first party 2011 push, producers are anticipating a lot more units in market next year. For whatever that's worth.

Oppo

plagiarize said:
there is no way that the Vita sees eleven first party titles at launch. no way. the cannibalisation would be horrible.

Really? You think a selection of eleven (known) launch titles would be too big? I don't know about that.

Sianos

DragonKnight said:
I really like this argument. I hear it every single day and it never gets old. Same franchise does not equal same game.

Edit: why can't we just enjoy both handheld and stop all this versus shit. Both will have great games and both deserve to succeed. Actually, I'm a little pissed at nintendo for overpricing their latest handheld.

Yeah, both handhelds look like they will be really good, each with their own strengths.

It all comes down to your preferences: neither really seems to be openly superior over the other in all categories.

NSQuote said:
Yeah, both handhelds look like they will be really good, each with their own strengths.

It all comes down to your preferences: neither really seems to be openly superior over the other in all categories.

Except in terms of power, of course. The touch stuff and the 3D (or lack of it) is pretty subjective, depending of whether you like it or not.

Sianos

OneMoreQuestion said:
Except in terms of power, of course. The touch stuff and the 3D (or lack of it) is pretty subjective, depending of whether you like it or not.
PSVita has the advantage in power while Nintendo has the big Nintendo franchises.

Whether you like 3D or the back touchpanel is another preference that will decide which handheld you buy.

And if you like both, you buy both.

PortTwo said:
Really? You think a selection of eleven (known) launch titles would be too big? I don't know about that.

I agree, those games also looked pretty different to me, not any obvious cannibalisation.

Even if Vita is a better deal, it just doesn't have the games yet imo while I'll definitely be buying at least 6 more 3DS games this year. Yeah, I'm interesting in that Vanillaware game and Gravity, but neither are definite buys.

Of course things could change as it's more than half a year away.

Maddness

SRG01 said:
Well, what else is he going to say? "OH NO We're panicking and we must drop the price"?

Not at all. Typical PR response. I did think it was maybe a tad bit odd that he decided to say that they weren't changing their stance based on their competition instead of just dodging the question all together. Seems to me if they do release a price drop in the near future most people will assume they did it for that exact reason.

I personally am excited for both systems. I was actually planning on buying a 3DS after E3, but thankfully I waited and I personally think it's in my best interest to wait and see if there will be a price reduction on or before the release of Vita.

KingDizzi

Banned
Well game over, Vita wins this generation. It's getting a RR game by Teramoto, the lad whom made RR7 and the PSP game.
in all seriousness I'm excited about that
Its said to be releasing in 2011 so if it's confirmed Vita ain't region locked I'm importing. At present have the wifi version pre ordered for £230 which hopefully comes down.

The Rizza

JackFrost said:
A few people.
Amazon and Gamestop taking them.(just the 2 i know of off the top of my head, Im sure most major retailers are by now)

I'm thinking about preordering one from Gamestop right now. If I do and choose in-store pickup, will I be guaranteed one day 1 when I go into the store? I assume I would be but I'm not sure.

Vita will miss December (only Japan) so theres no reason for Nintendo to lower 3DS price. Mario Kart 3D and Mario 3DS will sell truckloads of copys endlessly. Mario Kart DS is still in the stores, thats near 6 years since their launch.

The Rizza said:
I'm thinking about preordering one from Gamestop right now. If I do and choose in-store pickup, will I be guaranteed one day 1 when I go into the store? I assume I would be but I'm not sure.

After all the (false)hype with the 3DS it ended up going like this......
This entirely up to store on how they deal with sell outs. I specifically went to a store this time that does midnights....cause well midnight gives you a better chance if theres mass shortages.The store could either go by first come first serve regardless of order date or by order date.

cosmicblizzard said:
Even if Vita is a better deal, it just doesn't have the games yet imo while I'll definitely be buying at least 6 more 3DS games this year. Yeah, I'm interesting in that Vanillaware game and Gravity, but neither are definite buys.

Of course things could change as it's more than half a year away.

What 6 games are you getting?

The Rizza

JackFrost said:
After all the (false)hype with the 3DS it ended up going like this......
This entirely up to store on how they deal with sell outs. I specifically went to a store this time that does midnights....cause well midnight gives you a better chance if theres mass shortages.The store could either go by first come first serve regardless of order date or by order date.

Damn, that sounds like a better plan. Day 1 line-up it is for me.

Domcorleone said:
What 6 games are you getting?

Nintendo stuff. Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and Paper Mario. These are all just fresh in my mind because of E3, so there's definitely more. I just need to look at a release list. Is Animal Crossing coming this year?

Sianos

cosmicblizzard said:
Nintendo stuff. Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and Paper Mario. These are all just fresh in my mind because of E3, so there's definitely more. I just need to look at a release list. Is Animal Crossing coming this year?
Starfox, Ocarina, Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Kid Icarus are this year.

Paper Mario (<3) and Luigi's Mansion are aimed for early 2012, and Animal Corssing probably is sometime earl 2012 too.

Izayoi

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I just need to look at a release list. Is Animal Crossing coming this year?
No word yet but I'm willing to bet it's early next year. This holiday is already packed with Nintendo stuff, almost all of which I'll be buying.

My wallet is in for a rough couple of months.

scoobs

cosmicblizzard said:
this is the problem with nintendo consoles/handhelds. Everybody just buys the nintendo games and 3rd parties get no sales. I think nintendo is gonna do their damnedest this generation to get 3rd parties on board, hope people buy-in and start helping out those third parties

Sianos

duk said:
i have no doubt once 3DS hits 199 and all the ninty hits come out, it's gonna sell like hotcakes
Even if they have a Holiday Mario Kart bundle at 250 USD (even beter if it is in glorious RED) I can see a lot of people biting.

A Black Friday sale at 200 USD would be ideal, too.

The big battleground I think will be obviously Japan, and I think the Vita will dominate there. Coming off of the back of a big surge in PSP interest, and if they can get a Monster Hunter at or near launch, then the Vita will easily beat 3DS in Japan.

boingball

pseudocaesar said:
The big battleground I think will be obviously Japan, and I think the Vita will dominate there. Coming off of the back of a big surge in PSP interest, and if they can get a Monster Hunter at or near launch, then the Vita will easily beat 3DS in Japan.

Agreed. Japan is the market where handhelds are successful and where the Vita has a real chance beating the 3DS. If they get MH exclusivity it is not even a fight.

In the west I think both 3DS and especially Vita will struggle. Kids will might get a 3DS from their parents, or they might get an iOS device. Teenagers seem to not play handhelds much (not cool, but hey, maybe it goes back into style?). Adults drive too much (especially the US) and/or are happy with the games on their phones. They don't need another toy.

I will get a PS Vita nonetheless and hope for localization of Japanese games:)

saichi

I love people use the argument that 3DS will get the same old Mario, Pokemon, Zelda game etc but it is ok for PSV to get...

a portable Uncharted game after 3 console versions in 4 years.
a Little Big Planet game after 2 console versions and 1 portable in 2.5 years.
a Modnation Racer game that had a console and a portable version released about 1 year ago.

plus Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf which have numerous previous iterations.

Just because Sound Shape is unique doesn't mean Sony is not milking their franchises on PSV.

Not really feeling Vita much at the moment, but that's probably due to me not being a graphics whore at all. I care about 3D more, so 3DS it is...as far as visuals go anyway. I'll eventually get Vita, no doubt, but 3DS has more games of my liking at the moment and on the horizon. Now, when Patapon Vita hits...my lord, I will scream for joy!

Replicant

plagiarize said:
i'd take you seriously if you weren't telling me i could play SSFIV and Resident Evil on iPhone. swap out iPhone and put in PC and then i agree with you. with iPhone in there. it's really really hard for me to take what is a fair point seriously.

Back up, you drama queen. So I'm not exactly accurate on my wording, boo-fucking-hoo! But there is SFIV game on iPhone. And yes, there is RE on PC.

Busaiku said:
Resident Evil's exclusive to 3DS.

Mercenaries mode exist in RE5 on PS3 and XBox 360. Still can't believe Capcom would try to sell that as a separate game on 3DS. Yeah I know you got that other RE exclusive.

scoobs said:
this is the problem with nintendo consoles/handhelds. Everybody just buys the nintendo games and 3rd parties get no sales. I think nintendo is gonna do their damnedest this generation to get 3rd parties on board, hope people buy-in and start helping out those third parties

If they were, they would have released a more powerful handheld.

Why would we buy a crappy looking MGS, when we know a far superior one will be showing up on the Vita. Ditto for Resident Evil and all the other big third party games.

When you cripple the hardware, you neccesitate that games on your system look much worse than they do on competing systems. As far as third party games go, you take away any incentive people have to purchase them on your system.

I didn't buy a 3DS for MGS or RE. I know that the versions on Vita will be far superior. I bought the 3DS for Mario 3DS, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. And once I get sick of those games, I'll sell off the 3DS.

ksamedi said:
Well, unless Sony creates something like Brain Age, meaning a big hit title with a small budget, I don't see small budget games selling Vita's.

Yea mean games like locoroco which sold millions?

Busaiku

Replicant said:
Mercenaries mode exist in RE5 on PS3 and XBox 360. Still can't believe Capcom would try to sell that as a separate game on 3DS. Yeah I know you got that other RE exclusive.
As far as I'm aware, it's not just the same thing but portable.
Is it a ripoff? Certainly, but it's still not a port.

Replicant

Busaiku said:
As far as I'm aware, it's not just the same thing but portable.
Is it a ripoff? Certainly, but it's still not a port.

Just because it's now portable it doesn't make it a port? If the same thing happened on Vita, I'd guarantee people would call it a port because IT IS a port with enhancements. It's a game that's already available on other consoles (in HD mode) a LONG LONG TIME AGO but is now ported to a different console/portable. Just like I call SFIV on iPhone ports of its cousins on PS3 and Xbox 360. Dead Space on iPhone, OTOH, now that's an original game based on existing franchise. Because the story, gameplay, and experience are different.

Top Bottom