• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

Justinh

PS4 camera. PS3 camera doesn't work.

This almost feels like memes, but I understand it's not. Sucks it doesn't come at least with a camera.

Decent price I'd reckon. What I imagine most people expected.

Doesn't October seem... kinda late? Maybe not, in time for holidays and all but that's half-a-year after the other big'uns.

billeh

No its not, so playing VR games is the same then?

PSVR is 480P, Rift and Vive would be 720p right?
Playing actual games is different, when you're watching a video from a distance in virtual reality, there aren't enough pixels in the Vive/Rift/PSVR display to actually recreate it at full resolution.

You would need a 10K display to actually display a 4K video true to resolution from a distance in virtual space.

Gurish

So 500$ is the minimum I have to pay (not including the console itself) in order to have a good VR experience, competitors are obviously worse... this thing isn't going to take off anytime soon.

So basically $500 with a camera and move controller... Oculus and Vive may be the better deals in the long run if you take into account the difference in the cost of games as generally pc games seem to cost less on average.

JABEE

I already own move controllers. I'm going to need to get a PS4 camera though.

I'm hoping pre-orders go up soon.

majik13

I am very concerned about the resolution of the screen. It's only 1 screen and it's only 1080p?

You're going to see a lot of pixelation. Even on my Galaxy S7 with it's VR (also one screen, albeit at a much higher resolution) I see pixels pretty strongly.

Ive used both, and PSVR is a noticeable better screen. I couldn't really see any SDE on PSVR, while on Gear it is pretty noticeable.

Wait. 399 without the move and camera or with?

How much is the camera and move? did you really expect them to throw them in for free? that will essentially mean they would be selling the VR headset for less than 300 dollars, did anyone really think that was going to happen? The price is perfect for it, they just need to make consumers aware that they need the camera for it to work, but considering that early adopters have that knowledge it shouldn't be a problem.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've been anticipating this price for ages.

Day one, feels more than fair for what I'm getting. Anyone expecting $199 or something is laughable.

Exile20

Is the camera needed?

It cost $60 @ BB so this is a $460 product then right?

Can't wait for the Rift vs Vive vs PSVR comparison chart.

Vuze

While I don't think I'll be getting one, this is a good price spot. Sony was smart to wait for HTC and Oculus, now 399€ seems like a steal for a VR headset :p Two months earlier and this thread would be "DOA lol" from the getgo

No bundled camera or move controllers sucks though.

Karak

How much is the camera and move? did you really expect them to throw them in for free? that will essentially mean they would be selling the VR headset for less than 300 dollars, did anyone really think that was going to happen? The price is perfect for it, they just need to make consumers aware that they need the camera for it to work, but considering that early adopters have that knowledge it shouldn't be a problem.

Uhm your being defensive for no reason when someone is trying to clarify what they want/need to get to be prepared for coverage. Leave the kidding stuff at the door.

pj

Banned
I think it's hilarious people are calling this expensive.

For VR, and what may be pretty good VR...this is cheap as dirt guys.

Also, you can get a camera and move for like $30-$35 TOTAL for both if you go used.

Less than $50 gets you BOTH new.

Where? The playstation camera (has to be ps4 version for PSVR) is $44 at walmart, amazon, etc

mugwhump

That's about what I was expecting, I was thinking $400-$500. $400 without camera sounds about right.

I'm really curious how it will sell. Honestly I have no idea.

MaXsPoT

rgIORy3.gif

Top Bottom