• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Price: $399/399/£349/¥44,980, no camera/move, launching October

No camera and no move....I dont think I have my old move controllers but oh well...I guess the wait might be a little bit longer. Definitely not day one but I'll give it a good year or so...VR is still...testing..

psylah

Picked up two move controllers and a sub controller for 12 bucks in the last couple of months, just need the camera.

Seriously those things have been basically free since 6 months after Move launch.

You wanna add another $50 to add the price of the bundle for them to pack in tech they flooded the market with like 5 years ago? Get your bargain bin shopping on, people.

£349 is still a little high for me but the Yen conversion brings it down to £280 which isn't bad at all, I might just bite. It really depends on the software.

Nafai1123

Banned
I understand why they aren't including the camera.....but I don't understand why they aren't including the camera at that price. The BOM on those things has to be damn cheap and $399 for a complete product is a hell of a lot more appealing than $399 for an incomplete product.

Phinor

There's a huge gap between 399€ and ~750€ for Rift, ~1000€ Vive in Europe if they can stick to that 399€ price point. The price gap is much smaller in US. October is half a year away but as of right now, PSVR is going to be my choice.

_woLf

I am very concerned about the resolution of the screen. It's only 1 screen and it's only 1080p?

You're going to see a lot of pixelation. Even on my Galaxy S7 with it's VR (also one screen, albeit at a much higher resolution) I see pixels pretty strongly.

Wot. You were expecting less? Seriously?

Some folks on Keighley's Periscope stream were genuinely disappointed that it wasn't $199.99. He kept typing it over and over again like he wanted to sill it into reality.

Some people have no idea how the games industry works.

$399 seems like a fair price to me and I'm in like Flynn.

Super stoked about playing non PSVR games in cinematic mode.

jett

D-Member
$399 for a bundle that doesn't even contain the peripherals necessary to make the headset work is pretty underwhelming.

I thought a barebones SKU was a bad idea to start with, but at $399 it's even worse. I'll still put in a pre-order when it's possible, but I don't have a lot of hope for the headset's longevity.

The problem is that it will fracture whatever measly library it will have at first. It's like the Wii not launching with the wiimote bundled in. They should offer a $500 package with two moves and a camera, and that should be the default bundle. Not this barebones shit. Not an attractive price, I think it would be rather necessary.

How can they be so much cheaper? Wouldnt there be more cost since they have to have some addition CPU silicon on the device (due to PS4 not being powerful enough) vs oculus/vive just relying on a more powerful PC?

With this, those who insanely bought into that $799 rumour now have to come to terms with the fact that they overshot the mark by $400.

There's a huge gap between 399€ and ~750€ for Rift, ~1000€ Vive in Europe if they can stick to that 399€ price point. The price gaps are much smaller in US. October is half a year away but as of right now, PSVR is going to be my choice.

Yep, it's an absolute no-brainer outside of the US.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yup Day 1. Fantastic price, but such a wait.
Seems weird to not add the camera though.

Theman2k

i can't shake the feeling of buying an add on which is more expensive then the console.

seems hard to take in..

I can easily afford this, but it is not worth more that £250 me. £100 too expensive.

i think £149 is when the rest of the UK will buy into it.

i will check prices this time next year.

For £349 i want PC compatibility.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They won't do a VR Bundle. Maybe retailer will.

I think they'll announce an official bundle with camera and moves closer to release. 499 I guess. This 399 box is for people who have some or other accessories already - there had to be a headset only box for those consumers.

If this event has them announcing the price I'm going to go with $499. I know it seems about $100 too high, but so far these VR headsets haven't been cheap. I think people have continually expected them to be cheaper than what's economically feasible right now. I'd say I'm about 60% confident in that being the price, the other 40% going to a price of $399. I believe a price of $399 would have better greater market appeal, though still be a little too high for wide spread adoption.

What I posted in the conference thread earlier. I feel like it's a reasonable price considering the cost of the competitors. Had I said my prices were in Canadian I would have been spot on. ;)

derExperte

Too much for the second- to third-rate experience this combined with the PS4 will provide but I guess they're not willing to lose money to get people 'in' which is reasonable, who knows if it would take off fast enough and generate software revenue even when priced according to what you get.

Top Bottom