• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

thefro

I think it'd be a huge hit on Switch and sell like gangbusters so I can see them trying whatever possible to get it there.

I presume NOA are aware of how much it sells and are trying to get it (otherwise they need their heads examined). It'd be a great fit for the platform.

Mr Swine

Banned
While I think it would sell well I don't think the Switch in portable mode is powerful enough for the game without it any kind of downgrade on the graphics. Are the Devs willing to do that?

jokkir

I know I'd probably buy it trying to see what the hype is about. Haven't gotten it on Steam. Actually, haven't been on Steam for a while now :|

weekev

Banned
I know Psyonix are on Gaf so just wanted to add, I'd buy Rocket League on Switch in a heartbeat. The demand is definitely there. Rocket League on the go would be amazing. Even more so if we could cross play with the PS4/PC crowd.

gngf123

I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

Anecdotal evidence, but all of my RL playing friends would love this on the Switch.

I can imagine a big crossover between audiences.

Interfectum

I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

You don't think a "Nintendo audience" would be interested in a fun, quirky, online game like Rocket League?

When I first played RL my initial reaction was it felt like a game Nintendo would make.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Its a service at this point - so if they develop a Switch version they would have to maintain it for as long as the game is up and running. Good and worthwhile if Switch is a success...not as commercially viable of the systems craters after the honeymoon launch period.

Yes. That's actually one of the bigger hurdles to getting game ports of major titles for various platforms these days in general.

It's similarly the biggest problem with, for example, localizing Japanese mobile games.

LordKano

Its a service at this point - so if they develop a Switch version they would have to maintain it for as long as the game is up and running. Good and worthwhile if Switch is a success...not as commercially viable of the systems craters after the honeymoon launch period.

Good point. They're probably waiting to see if the console will really sell well in the futur, before taking the bet.

I bet it doesn't happen, if they are evaluating just now then it's better for them to wait and see how many people pay for the online service on Switch

Haunted

I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and *insert popular PC/PS4 game* audience.
There are a ton of games for which the above statement holds true.

Rocket League isn't one of them.

jholmes

This sounds like a no. I've read enough of this good-natured spin when people politely decline to put a game on a Nintendo platform. I agree with a lot of people here that this would find an interested audience on the platform.

Pure Chess wasn't a problem.

Pure Chess's multiplayer is done over email.

Peltz

I think you're very wrong about that.

As a (mostly) Nintendo gamer, this is one of the only games I still play on PS4. It feels very suited to my tastes.

4Tran

And this is exactly what Nintendo should be offering as support for Psyonix. If they bear the server risks, then they get exactly the kind of game that can make the Switch flourish.

buzzth

It would be one of the key standout multiplayer experiences on the platform imo, and that's a testament considering the amount of potential Nintendo multiplayer games it will get as well as the wide array of indie titles slated this year.

I would buy it in a heartbeat honestly, what are they waiting for..

13ruce

Banned
Willl without a doubt sell well they are just being stubborn now. Fits perfectly on the Switch the Nintendo fans won't like it thing is dumb play rocket league everywhere + being able to play local multiplayer everywhere? And unique gameplay like Nintendo games? Yes yes yes.

I have the game on PS4 but i don't play it anymore i would if it was on Switch.
Would even take a bigger data plan for it.

EmiPrime

just a playful dig at sales numbers

five years ago, making the reverse statement would have been entirely reasonable

the role-reversal is amusing

It doesn't even make sense as a sales dig though. Rocket League is exactly the sort of game that does very well on Xbox and XB1 is still the number two console in sales (okay by default but still!).

I'll drop it though.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Like others have said, I wouldn't expect any 3rd party online-only/primary game to even be announced until Nintendo's whole "online service" is out. None of us even know what it entails and, the way things have been so under wraps with the beginning of the Switch launch, I doubt devs know anything about it either.

Well, I guess there is Xenoverse 2, but we don't really have any deets on that...

I'm cautiously optimistic though. Haven't played the game in months, but if I could pick up and play randomly throughout the day, this game would live in my rotation permanently. Impromptu Splatoon, Mario Kart and Rocket League matches would be the death of me. I rolled over in bed Sunday morning, grabbed my Switch, and was in a Testfire game within 2 minutes. Felt almost magical for a moment.

If Nintendo doesn't allow cross-play with Steam players, then I think it would be much harder for Psyonix to go ahead and port it onto Switch. A large playerbase is critical to sustaining an online game, and I'm sure Psyonix—like many others currently—is waiting to see just how large the Switch userbase can grow in the next 6 months.

The other thing is performance. How does this game run in docked mode vs portable? There will certainly be visual downgrades in order to get 60fps, and I'm sure Psyonix is being careful with how they want to represent their flagship game on a new platform. It could do them more harm than good if they end up having to make so many sacrifices that the game looks like a shell of the other versions.

Lastly, they must ask the question—will this Switch port be able to handle all our future graphical updates (as in, future maps, modes, fx, physics, etc.) alongside the other platforms? Keeping the Switch version updated is necessary if they want cross-play enabled.

And I don't really think the lack of analog triggers matters, but I'm curious to see what Psyonix thinks of that.

PeterGAF

Banned
Going to be interesting if they have crossplay with X1 and/or PS4.
Sony won't allow crossplay with other consoles, only PC, so if the Switch version does it would likely be with XB1 and PC.

I wonder if the Switch allowing for console cross play would force Sony's hand.

Please make rocket league Switch happen!

I bought it on PC even though its on my laptop and runs at a silky smooth 4 fps, i actually had a lot of fun with it.

Would be amazing to play it on Switch, especially with my friends who all have it for the One.

Calm Mind

I like how open and transparent indies have been toward the platform. Established 3rd party publishers take notes.

This would singlehandedly get me to purchase the game. I've been considering a PS4 purchases but I use that platform so infrequently outside of Souls that it hasn't happened yet.

A Switch release would be day one for me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
99% chance that it won't happen. That's always the case with 3rd party and Nintendo.

Don't hold your breath.

I tried the game out on a friend's PS4 and absolutely fell in love. Rocket League on Switch would be an instant buy for me.

That's probably not true but in any case there will probably be a ton of hardcore rocket league players that might get a switch just for the chance to play this in the go even if they don't give a crap about Nintendo.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That's probably not true but in any case there will probably be a ton of hardcore rocket league players that might get a switch just for the chance to play this in the go even if they don't give a crap about Nintendo.

I feel like Psyonix would be better off investing in a mobile port if that's their intention.

see5harp

They could map gas to right analog and use the shoulder buttons for cam..it wouldn't be perfect but it would be better than not having the game.

dickroach

99% chance that it won't happen. That's always the case with 3rd party and Nintendo.

Don't hold your breath.

if the Switch sells as well as it's predicted to, Psyonix would be crazy not to.
Nintendo's fine with small 3rd party developers. I think the real issue would be Nintendo's shitty network

Kyzer

Banned
Deleted my twitter but psyonix I know youre listening. Please do this. For the kids. Think of the kids. Contact Nintendo they will probably let you make exclusive car skins and everything

Top Bottom