• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

Assuming performance is good, sure. I'd be more on board if progress attained on Steam/PS4/XBO could translate over to the Switch, but I'm not holding my breath.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is the second time they've said they're looking into it. I don't think it's a throwaway comment.

But I also think the game is a bit demanding and it may be hard to make it a fun 60fps experience on Switch.
The game is not demanding at all. Have you seen what kind of PC Rocket League can run on? It doesn't need to be the prettiest version with every effect. They could easily get this game running at 60fps on Switch.

The lack of analog triggers is the real hurdle to overcome, and could restrict some high level play.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
if the Switch sells as well as it's predicted to, Psyonix would be crazy not to.
Nintendo's fine with small 3rd party developers. I think the real issue would be Nintendo's shitty network

Doubt so, because Switch selling well isn't an indicative of anything. Look at the Wii U. If it sounds too good regarding 3rd party and Switch, then you best get ready to be disappointed somehow.

I myself will be very happy and will buy it if it gets released on Switch, but I don't suggest getting your hope up because the disappointment's going to be terrible.

MutFox

Banned
PC Rocket League player.
Play it pretty much every day.

Would love to have this on the Switch.

2 player portable would be awesome.

Lylo

The game is not demanding at all. Have you seen what kind of PC Rocket League can run on? It doesn't need to be the prettiest version with every effect. They could easily get this game running at 60fps on Switch.

The lack of analog triggers is the real hurdle to overcome, and could restrict some high level play.

There are pros who plays with mouse+keyboard, so while i agree that it could be a nuisence for some at first, we would be able to adapt quite easily. I tested the Wii U Pro Controller on the PC version and was surprised that it wasn't that bad, you just have to control the acceleration with a few taps on the digital trigger, not bad.

I know rocket league made mu ps4 hot and loud

if they come to switch they need to make it way more efficient

not sure why this game is so demanding of resources given its premise

Peltz

I hope you're right.

AzaK

If by high-level play you mean the god tier RLers who defy physics then maybe but none of us are those guys.

Say what?

How many buttons/axis does a single joy con have?

Six buttons I think which is more than enough.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I've already played it a lot on PC, but...gimme gimme gimme!!! I would gladily double dip. Local multiplayer everywhere? RL in the bed / on the go? Possible MK skins for cars? Give it to me, all of it.

Hopefully they iron out the current matchmaking / server problems, though. I've stumbled upon a recent message from Pysonix's CEO about it this morning.

Wouldn't lack of official UE3 support on Switch be a problem here?

That didn't stop Sonic Boom for WiiU that ran on CryEngine. I'm not saying it would be a horrible buggy port, I'm just saying it's possible with some work. Plus, I don't think the other consoles really supported it either.

collige

Banned
There's a ton of physics calculations all going on simultaneously in real time, gorgeous HD visuals and pretty animations/effects.

Pretty obvious why it's demanding.

What "tons of physics calculations"? A ball? The game isn't really demanding at all, the issue is that it's a UE3 game.

Pejo

maxresdefault.jpg

Especially if they had split screen. I actually am laughing thinking about playing that 1v1 on the tiny ass screen with the tiny little joypads vs. my friends.

I only wish the DLC was cross-platform, I invested so much into the PC version, I am not gonna rebuy any of it on other platforms.

Genio88

I need Rocket League on Switch too!!!! did my avatar spoil me?
I played/play it on XB1 and now PC, gonna buy it on Switch as soon as available!

leV2rym.jpg

That idea that a larger install base automatically equals support is a fallacy. If it were true, every game would be on mobile.
Support in development; ease of porting; cost of porting; promised promotion; central place in online store are all factors. These factors aren't widely available on Nintendo consoles :(

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
What "tons of physics calculations"? A ball? The game isn't really demanding at all, the issue is that it's a UE3 game.

Name one game that runs on Switch that can handle physics as complicated as a sphere bouncing off things.

Don't worry, I'll wait...

I wouldn't bother if it isn't cross-play. And that's more up to Nintendo than Psyonix.

Also lack of analog triggers is a bit of an issue in fine ball control scenarios.

tkscz

Doubt so, because Switch selling well isn't an indicative of anything. Look at the Wii U. If it sounds too good regarding 3rd party and Switch, then you best get ready to be disappointed somehow.

I myself will be very happy and will buy it if it gets released on Switch, but I don't suggest getting your hope up because the disappointment's going to be terrible.

The WiiU sold less than the Gamecube, I don't think the WiiU makes a good example.

GoaThief

If by high-level play you mean the god tier RLers who defy physics then maybe but none of us are those guys.

Six buttons I think which is more than enough.
Need 4 directions for steering and car movement.

Accelerate button
Brake/reverse button
Jump button
Boost button
Air roll button
Powerslide button
Ball cam button
Options/menu button
Scoreboard button

Those I'd say are 100% requirement, and you have to be able to simultaneously press combinations of two or more at the same time. Is that possible?

On top of those I'd put these as near-essential/high priority;

Quick chat (4 button requirement)
Second stick/2 axis for looking around car
Look behind button
Text chat button

There are lower priority ones such as reset shot in custom training, air roll left, air roll right, etc... which could be dual-bound but has to not interfere with others and remain intuitive.

Define 'god tier' because people use the above in the lower ranks on a daily basis.

'The ball' is glossing over a lot; velocity, spin, direction and how that interacts with different surfaces and cars each with individual suspension, wheel and hitbox psysics; keeping in mind each car's varying velocity, rotation, etc... how those interact with each other and the ball in real time combined with some boosts that do liquid physics, dynamic lighting, weather effects, etc.

All of that in a visually impressive package is no mean feat. Couple with no UE3 support on Switch and I can understand why Psyonix haven't been jumping at the prospect of a port just yet.

LordofPwn

I think the hang up is how many people would buy it for the switch. Right now there probably isn't a big enough pool of switches available to justify the port process. I also feel like people that own a switch probably have access to another console that already has Rocket League. I love rocket league but I don't think I would buy it for the switch, but at the same time I'd love to see rocket league available to everyone that owns a console of their choice

Thraktor

Say what?

How many buttons/axis does a single joy con have?

One stick, four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, which is exactly what's required for Rocket League (so long as you're using ball-tracking camera, which is the better camera choice anyway).

It would be cool to see it on the switch,along with the blue falcon as a platform exclusive vehicle, like the ps4 has the ice cream truck car and Xbox has the warthog and gears of war car.

One stick, four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, which is exactly what's required for Rocket League (so long as you're using ball-tracking camera, which is the better camera choice anyway).

6 buttons isn't even enough to cover the essentials.

Boost
Jump
Drift
Accelerate
Brake
Change camera (it is essential)
Menu

Then you also have he scoreboard, the quick chats (which aren't essential) and the second stick for rotating the camera, which is still important even with the ball cam on. The game would just not be fun on a single joy con, coming from someone who has nearly 400 hours played.

Lylo

It also has two clicable sticks, - or + buttons, Z/ZR or L/ZL which could be used for secundary actions with proper combination. There are other alternatives, like the buttons + or - could be used for scoreboard if you hold the button, but if you press it really fast it could bring the Options menu.

This would be the most important 3rd party release for me. An evergreen pick up and play game that has proven legs? I was really hoping for an announcement at E3 but this is making that seem unlikely now.

It is one of the most "Nintendo" style arcadey games ever. It's a perfect fit and would be tragic if it doesn't make it to the Switch.

Rocket League needs to be on Switch. I would prefer it to be a new version, rather than just a port. Performance would make or break this game, so building from the ground up for Switch's hardware would be wise.

Also, Nintendo themed vehicles. NINTENDO THEMED VEHICLES.

Peltz

Name one game that runs on Switch that can handle physics as complicated as a sphere bouncing off things.

Don't worry, I'll wait...

If only there were an open world game that just came out that had a complicated physics system underlying all interactions in the game world. On where you could push boulders down mountains or cut trees and watch them realistically tumble and roll on the ground.

Hmmmm....
thinking-face.png

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think it would sell millions of copies on Switch. Hopefully they put a more casual local mp mode in it for tabletop mode where a single joycon could be used for each player.

If only there were an open world game that just came out that had a complicated physics system underlying all interactions in the game world. On where you could push boulders down mountains or cut trees and watch them realistically tumble and roll on the ground.

Hmmmm....
]

loooooool

Christ almighty, that post you quoted.

Dremorak

Banned
Even if split joycon multiplayer has a couple of drawbacks (ball cam etc) standard dual joycon/pro controller etc wont be an issue, It'll be just like splatoon.

Also talking about complex physics calculations, you can't be serious. We're talking about the same things that almost any game nowadays has to deal with. Rigid body physics in such a limited area for a modern console isnt a huge deal.

Key quote is "benefitting the whole community". They want the multiplayer to be right.

People brought up Pure Chess in the previous thread but it's a very different game. I think it would be unfair to pit PC players against those on Nintendo due to the lack of analog controls but I guess match making could take care of it.

Hmmmm....
thinking-face.png

Just Dance 2017!

Dremorak

Banned

Hmmmm....
thinking-face.png

Even besides that basic stuff. Anything in the entire world that should blow with the wind does. They all blow based on wind direction and intensity, every piece of cloth, blade of grass, tree, hair, flags. Its actually crazy, I cant think of another open world that has done this.

Peltz

Even besides that basic stuff. Anything in the entire world that should blow with the wind does. They all blow based on wind direction and intensity, every piece of cloth, blade of grass, tree, hair, flags. Its actually crazy, I cant think of another open world that has done this.

It's true. Plus there are a ton of puzzles that consist of trying to get a sphere to roll into a hole using all sorts of different physics. So we know the system should be fast enough to calculate that stuff if the engine is designed right.

I play Rocket League for an hour a day every day ever since it launched on PS4 back in 2015.

Bring it to the Switch and I will immediately buy a Switch and probably never leave my bed.

Top Bottom