• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psyonix evaluating whether or not to bring Rocket League to Switch

It makes sense for them sales-wise. The audience is there. If they want to see the franchise exposure increased putting it on to a portable system or one with local-multiplayer that can be observed in public settings also seems like a sound business decision.

I have yet to buy Rocket League, but if it was released on Switch, I'd be there on day one. It's one of the games I'm most hopeful for on the system. Fingers crossed.

Thraktor

Nintendo should allow them to use the Blue Falcon as a Switch-exclusive car to sweeten the deal, although I'd happily double-dip to have it on Switch either way.

Please don't be dumb enough to destroy percentiles by allowing people to play with a single joycon.

Nonsense. The game would be absolutely playable with a single joy-con, and supporting two player online out of the box would be a great selling point for the Switch version. Hell, if they supported download play for 2v2 local wireless play I'd be ecstatic.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have to think that given the dearth of good software on the Switch right now, it would sell a lot of copies. Shit, I'd double dip.

Dipship31

LU41l7A.jpg

Yeah that on the go would be a no brainer for me

boxter432

the earlier they get it on switch the better....it would have a pretty high attach rate if it came this year I think. MK, splatoon, arms and RL? some sweet online multiplayer.
I'd say its a guaranteed 500k-1M seller quickly, with the potential for long legs, like nintendo games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't see it happening. I can imagine that there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the Nintendo audience and the Rocket League audience.

Easy to pick up and difficult to master multiplayer games are basically Nintendo's bread and butter these days. This is nonsense.

see5harp

That idea that a larger install base automatically equals support is a fallacy. If it were true, every game would be on mobile.

Install base alone sure. For a huge successful online only title it makes perfect sense to put it on a platform that is successful and has a history of being multiplayer centric.

With the Switch selling well at the moment, it would make financial sense from a business perspective. Even if they just offered it as a Eshop title. I doubt they would run into issues with porting. Current sales estimates of the switch that I looked at; would make me think about making a port. At worst they would have trickle profits down the line as more buyers get a switch.

see5harp

Not to mention the Wii would have gotten much better third party support than the scraps companies decided to throw at it.

The wii was significantly weaker than the other consoles (which likely made ports straight ports tough), had poor network/multiplayer support, and a big portion of the install base weren't buying any games (they bought for wii sports or wii fit). It made perfect sense why third parties didn't support that platform.

At first I thought yeah that would be sick if it also allowed crossplay. Then I remembered that Nintendo is having paid online and that I'd just pass because of that.

Its a service at this point - so if they develop a Switch version they would have to maintain it for as long as the game is up and running. Good and worthwhile if Switch is a success...not as commercially viable of the systems craters after the honeymoon launch period.

on point, in their last interview they pretty much re-confirmed that(that's why we aint getting RL2 any time soon)

i think we should ask them this question by the end of next year/early 2019. that been said, this is one of those games that would be key for the console and nintendo should really do everything on their part to make it happen sooner rather than later.

Dynasty

I wonder when MS will announce Minecraft for the Switch. Rocket League and Minecraft will sell amazingly on the Switch.

The wii was significantly weaker than the other consoles (which likely made ports straight ports tough), had poor network/multiplayer support, and a big portion of the install base weren't buying any games (they bought for wii sports or wii fit). It made perfect sense why third parties didn't support that platform.

The Wii had an attach rate of 9 or so. Clearly, people were buying it for more than those two games.

I wonder when MS will announce Minecraft for the Switch. Rocket League and Minecraft will sell amazingly on the Switch.
Already announced and has been shown running on the Switch.

Its a service at this point - so if they develop a Switch version they would have to maintain it for as long as the game is up and running. Good and worthwhile if Switch is a success...not as commercially viable of the systems craters after the honeymoon launch period.

You mean they don't just type ".switch" at the end of all of the files and a port pops out the other end?

deleted

I don't double dip often outside from Nintendo games, but this would be a no brainer for me.

Rocket League on the go with build in two player support?
I'm in! (If 60 FPS, don't care for bells and whistles)

Lylo

I hope Mr. Corey Davis, AKA, ickingfudiot here in GAF reads this thread. Everyone wants to play Rocket League on the go.

Mokujin

I'm not into Rocket League but if they could achieve a solid performing version with online and local multiplayer it would make a lot of sense for the platform.

Mortemis

Banned
Hopefully this isn't just a "we're thinking about it" comment in which they end up not saying anything about it ever again. I'd love it on the go with the switch.

Not really confident that it comes though.

Peltz

This is the second time they've said they're looking into it. I don't think it's a throwaway comment.

But I also think the game is a bit demanding and it may be hard to make it a fun 60fps experience on Switch.

This is a no brainer. This game should be on Switch. It has the potential to be one of the definitive and most popular games on Switch.

I think they announce it at E3.

Paertan

Would buy again. Third time. Ok the PS4 version was "free" but still. Rocket League on the go? A no brainer. Hopefully with at least crossplay against PC.

AdanVC

I would freaking love Rocket League on the Switch! Playing this on the go with crossplay on multiple console would be amazing.

Top Bottom