• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

Amazon sent me an email that the Collector's Edition is delayed. I had to re-confirm that I still want the order. What a bummer, they (or Remedy) should have let us know before now.

Amazon sent me an email that the Collector's Edition is delayed. I had to re-confirm that I still want the order. What a bummer, they (or Remedy) should have let us know before now.

It gets pushed back to only be delayed up to another month.

Just approved the delay. I still want it.

FLD

Ugh, if it's actually delayed I might have to cancel my physical copy. Waiting until next week because Amazon is slow to ship is one thing, the physical edition being delayed until fuck knows when is another...

Gonna be a little annoyed if that's the case. Surely I would be almost done downloading the game by now. :/

edit: Yeah, fuck it. I'd rather play the game tonight than wait just for an art book or whatever. Cancelled my physical order and bought the game directly from Steam.

knerl

I wanna know if the OG Windows Store benches floating around in the thread is with the latest patch or not.

It gets pushed back to only be delayed up to another month.

Just approved the delay. I still want it.

Hello, Remedy here.

Looks like there have been shipping problems with the Timeless Collectors Edition. Some markets have it, some dont it seems. I've gone to game stores here in Helsinki and Espoo (where Remedy is based) and they will have it later on Friday. I'm trying to get some more information from THQ Nordic as to whats up.

Really sorry for everybody who has been waiting. The reason why the release date was moved from the 14th to 29th was to avoid this exact problem.

Hello, Remedy here.

Looks like there have been shipping problems with the Timeless Collectors Edition. Some markets have it, some dont it seems. I've gone to game stores here in Helsinki and Espoo (where Remedy is based) and they will have it later on Friday. I'm trying to get some more information from THQ Nordic as to whats up.

Really sorry for everybody who has been waiting. The reason why the release date was moved from the 14th to 29th was to avoid this exact problem.

Thanks for coming onto the boards and giving us some sort of update and information on the situation. Hopefully copies do show up soon to Amazon, as I'm sure there's probably a good number of people that have ordered one of the Timeless CEs. Hope to hear some good news soon :).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, fuck it, bought the game. 11$ or so...

QMAGv0Y.jpg

QQrWbKK.jpg

Let's see how it performs on my rig.

Just got an email this morning that my CE should be arriving the 11th. Looks like Amazon might be shipping some of these out tomorrow if my tracking page is any indication.

tioslash

Looks like mine is the only one that still didn´t even ship. Status went from "shipping today" (yesterday) to "shipping soon" now. And that´s because I´ve preordered this quite a long time ago.

Going great so far for my first purchase on Amazon.

EDIT: Well, just got an email saying it shipped today. All good then. :)

Mine showed up today as well. Whoever (or whatever) put the discs in the case really did a terrible job, breaking some of the plastic tabs and bending the discs, rather than sliding them in.

Aside from that, I can't complain too much -- basically a Steam copy with a small book for $36. Looking forward to playing it.

Been a long time since I saw PC game disks. Almost comical to open it up and see seven of them.

Game hits you with the Alan Wake riiiight up front, as if to say "Wouldn't it have been so much better if we'd made AW2 instead?"

I'm still looking forward to playing this, though.

I'm really disappointed in this game so far. As a huge fan of Max Payne and a moderate fan of Alan Wake, I've been looking forward to Quantum Break since that very first reveal before they hired all the famous people to be in it, but XB1 exclusivity and W10 Store shittiness kept me away from it until now. Actually playing it, though, it's a bit rubbish.

The TV show is the worst offender for me. I really dislike this angle that Remedy has been going down. Seeing bits and pieces of live action footage with Dick Justice or Night Springs was like a fun little Easter Egg that gave Remedy's games that cheeky little edge to them, but come Quantum Break a huge part of the experience, the video game experience, is just sitting there with your thumb up your butt watching 20 minute FMV cutscenes. The generic American TV show format doesn't let Sam Lake's writing style shine through, the action is terrible, all the actors not named Reddick or Ashmore are mediocre to bad (how does Aidan Gillen keep getting work?). Am I supposed to like these characters? Liam Burke, who called me a prick the first time I met him in game? The hacker guy who was introduced being a dick to his co-worker, who acts like he's going to go home and write a forum post about the girl who's friendzoning him? I'm just waiting for him to say something in technobabble so another character can ask him to repeat that in English and we can sit there while the studio audience guffaws. It's all so dull, full of terse, humourless characters, and so un-Remedy.

I actually like the gameplay, what little there is. The guns feel wildly powerful, so you have to fire in bursts, and you die really quickly if you just stop and pop and don't use your powers. You can do some really cool stuff. I don't like having to hunt for upgrade tokens, and I have issues with the hitboxes (oftentimes I'll be aiming directly at a dude's head but I end up hitting him in the neck and shoulders like five times, with an elaborate stagger animation each time), but overall it's good stuff. Which is why it's so frustrating that like 90% of the game is slow-walking around waiting for NPCs to let me open doors. Nope, you can't shoot here. Nope, you can't jump. This is a story hallway. It's the kind of game that would be so tedious if I ever wanted to replay it, because so much of it is just dancing the exact steps that the devs have scripted for me.

And, while I'm interested in the story (I'm up to Act 5 now, which I assume is the last one), I feel like I'm going to get to the end and not understand anything because I'm just not willing to read the fucking tomes of backstory this game vomits at me at every opportunity. 13/17 NARRATIVE ELEMENTS FOUND, it says, as I hit X on a dry, ten paragraph office memorandum that I'm apparently expected to read during a hectic firefight. "Jack, you have to see this", calls Amy, as she lays out eight consecutive dossiers full of insider information stolen from Monarch and a five minute vlog from Charlie from Lost with his atrocious American accent. This shit is just bad storytelling; a misunderstanding of the medium. This is an 8-10 hour action game, not a sprawling fantasy epic. I feel like I've been signed up for a college class in Quantum Break lore. And bonus points for having all the NPCs yell at me to hurry up while I'm trying to read it all. That's always fun.

So, I'll finish it, at least, but this is really not the game I'd hoped for.

Mr. Tibbs

I hate to say it, but as a huge Max Payne and Alan Wake fan, I'm really disappointed with Quantum Break. It has none of the charm I associate with Remedy. I can't stand the the clunky mechanics or the uninspired universe. The live action stuff is not only drags the game to a halt, it's absolutely atrocious on every level: performance, direction, writing. I was expecting something with a bit of goofiness ala Night Springs. What a bummer.

The opening outside the University was the only time I was I felt that Remedy vibe. The major set pieces were visually stunning, but the path was tightrope narrow and interacting with the environment was a chore with awkward player characters movement.

I don't think I can be bothered finishing it, and I really, really wish Microsoft had funded Alan Wake 2 instead. :(

Arkanius

I'm really disappointed in this game so far. As a huge fan of Max Payne and a moderate fan of Alan Wake, I've been looking forward to Quantum Break since that very first reveal before they hired all the famous people to be in it, but XB1 exclusivity and W10 Store shittiness kept me away from it until now. Actually playing it, though, it's a bit rubbish.

The TV show is the worst offender for me. I really dislike this angle that Remedy has been going down. Seeing bits and pieces of live action footage with Dick Justice or Night Springs was like a fun little Easter Egg that gave Remedy's games that cheeky little edge to them, but come Quantum Break a huge part of the experience, the video game experience, is just sitting there with your thumb up your butt watching 20 minute FMV cutscenes. The generic American TV show format doesn't let Sam Lake's writing style shine through, the action is terrible, all the actors not named Reddick or Ashmore are mediocre to bad (how does Aidan Gillen keep getting work?). Am I supposed to like these characters? Liam Burke, who called me a prick the first time I met him in game? The hacker guy who was introduced being a dick to his co-worker, who acts like he's going to go home and write a forum post about the girl who's friendzoning him? I'm just waiting for him to say something in technobabble so another character can ask him to repeat that in English and we can sit there while the studio audience guffaws. It's all so dull, full of terse, humourless characters, and so un-Remedy.

I actually like the gameplay, what little there is. The guns feel wildly powerful, so you have to fire in bursts, and you die really quickly if you just stop and pop and don't use your powers. You can do some really cool stuff. I don't like having to hunt for upgrade tokens, and I have issues with the hitboxes (oftentimes I'll be aiming directly at a dude's head but I end up hitting him in the neck and shoulders like five times, with an elaborate stagger animation each time), but overall it's good stuff. Which is why it's so frustrating that like 90% of the game is slow-walking around waiting for NPCs to let me open doors. Nope, you can't shoot here. Nope, you can't jump. This is a story hallway. It's the kind of game that would be so tedious if I ever wanted to replay it, because so much of it is just dancing the exact steps that the devs have scripted for me.

And, while I'm interested in the story (I'm up to Act 5 now, which I assume is the last one), I feel like I'm going to get to the end and not understand anything because I'm just not willing to read the fucking tomes of backstory this game vomits at me at every opportunity. 13/17 NARRATIVE ELEMENTS FOUND, it says, as I hit X on a dry, ten paragraph office memorandum that I'm apparently expected to read during a hectic firefight. "Jack, you have to see this", calls Amy, as she lays out eight consecutive dossiers full of insider information stolen from Monarch and a five minute vlog from Charlie from Lost with his atrocious American accent. This shit is just bad storytelling; a misunderstanding of the medium. This is an 8-10 hour action game, not a sprawling fantasy epic. I feel like I've been signed up for a college class in Quantum Break lore. And bonus points for having all the NPCs yell at me to hurry up while I'm trying to read it all. That's always fun.

So, I'll finish it, at least, but this is really not the game I'd hoped for.

This sums my experience with the game.
Behind all the tech problems that finally got solved, I didn't find a gem like Alan Wake, I found a boring game with a ok story that spent too much time being scripted instead of allowing me to use the gameplay as I saw fit.

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed my playthrough... granted... I never played Alan Wake or Max Payne so I didn't have any expectations to meet.

Hah, just got to the final bossfight. Wave after wave of enemies, random deaths out of nowhere, no checkpoints, and every time you die you have to run back up those ramps to start the cutscene and then immediately skip it again. No thanks, Remedy. I'll give it another try tomorrow, but at this point I'd rather just watch the ending on Youtube.

EDIT - OK, powered through it. Boy am I sick of games that end without properly wrapping up their stories. It seems pretty clear now that Microsoft isn't interested in making a Quantum Break 2, and honestly I don't think I'd even want one, but this is just another 'open' ending that's never going to go anywhere.
Paul is off in timey wimey space, Jack looks like he has the same sickness Paul had, Beth Wilder's rescue would presumably be a whole ordeal of retreading old ground, and Martin Hatch is apparently a terrible monster from outside time, or something. I guess we just assume that everyone from the TV show is OK (except Charlie, lol), and Liam Burke just settles down with his wife after brutally murdering dozens of men in front of her.
I might go back and read some of those endless narrative elements I collected, just to get my money's worth from this 70GB download before I delete it, but I can't see myself ever replaying this.

kami_sama

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed my playthrough... granted... I never played Alan Wake or Max Payne so I didn't have any expectations to meet.

I don't know. I have played both Max Payne and Alan Wake and I'm liking it. I even like the TV episodes!
Also, I love the little nods to AW. Like one lady playing the game on her office and listening to Children of the Elder God. I love that song.

MageBoySA

I got my physical copy...and disc 2 was misprinted. There is a black mark on the bottom of the disc, and Windows event viewer says "CDROM has bad blocks" when I put the disc in the drive. Kinda sucks, since I would have just started the download instead of bothered to try installing from the disc, especially when they delayed the release.

EmiPrime

Yep that's the Quantum Break experience. Even if you like the gunplay there's not enough of it; it's maybe a quarter of the game in total. I don't know what anyone sees in this game and why someone was rabid enough of a fan to accuse me of lying about playing it just because I posted less than complementary thoughts about it. It's just an okayish shooter with pointless live action scenes that focus on irrelevant characters, bad platforming, bad "stand where told, press and hold Y" puzzles, use of word vomit text documents for plot and boring walk around sections while NPCs have their scripted conversations with the player even when in different rooms. Average at best.

Waaghals

I actually liked this game. I do feel it shouldn't be any longer than it is.

I played on the easiest difficulty just to experience the story. This meant I hardly ever died, so that probably made the game a lot less frustrating than it should have been.

I am OK with the ending, but I don't like the implication that (major potential spoiler):
Hatch is a Splitter and will break time again, and that this was the "time has stopped"-experience Paul had.

Paul Serene was convinced that time would end in 2021, and was very surprised when it almost ended in 2016 years before it should. With Hatch in control of Monarch, he will probably end time, for real, in 2021, just as Serene predicted.

So that's a bummer.

jackdoe

Finally got my physical copy from Amazon. Runs like an absolute dream compared to the absolutely dreadful Windows 10 version. The game is also definitely not balanced for mouse and keyboard controls. After struggling a bit with the controls in the Xbox One version and the janky joystick aiming, I breezed through the entire first act without breaking a sweat on the PC.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, just got to the final bossfight. Wave after wave of enemies, random deaths out of nowhere, no checkpoints, and every time you die you have to run back up those ramps to start the cutscene and then immediately skip it again. No thanks, Remedy. I'll give it another try tomorrow, but at this point I'd rather just watch the ending on Youtube.

EDIT - OK, powered through it. Boy am I sick of games that end without properly wrapping up their stories. It seems pretty clear now that Microsoft isn't interested in making a Quantum Break 2, and honestly I don't think I'd even want one, but this is just another 'open' ending that's never going to go anywhere.
Paul is off in timey wimey space, Jack looks like he has the same sickness Paul had, Beth Wilder's rescue would presumably be a whole ordeal of retreading old ground, and Martin Hatch is apparently a terrible monster from outside time, or something. I guess we just assume that everyone from the TV show is OK (except Charlie, lol), and Liam Burke just settles down with his wife after brutally murdering dozens of men in front of her.
I might go back and read some of those endless narrative elements I collected, just to get my money's worth from this 70GB download before I delete it, but I can't see myself ever replaying this.

I never properly figured out what kills you randomly in the final boss fight. I think the problem is there's two kinds of red flashy things? Whatever it is it was one of those times I honestly couldn't figure out how it got through testing. "Player has no idea why they're dying" seems like a pretty big issue.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just finished my first playthrough.

Well, Quantum Break is without a doubt one of the best story-driven and one of the best looking games I've ever played (and probably the best Remedy game to date). The game has a really good written story about the time travel (just like Back to the Future and I'm not joking), characters that I really liked and cared so much about and it's an absolutely brilliant blend of a video game with a live-action TV show. Gameplay and gunplay is also really good and gets better the more you play, not to mention really cool looking time manipulation mechanics and puzzles.

Seriously, this game deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets. Remedy made such a great game and we need to show them our support so that they could make more games like this (even if it takes 6 years). Sure, the game has a few flaws, but they are so minor that it's not even worth to talk about them. Overall, Quantum Break is an amazing game and everyone who likes really good written story-driven games should buy and play it without question.

We need more games like this!

I might buy a cheap key for the game since it's running like shit on Win 10 even on my Titan X pascal...

Or wait for a sale on Steam. Installing it again and dealing with UWP is out of question.

EDIT: you're not helping, Agent_4Seven xD

bj00rn_

Banned
I must be one of the few people who enjoyed my playthrough

No I truly enjoyed this game like many others do too, it even has a lot of nice feedback on Steam. I like this game so much that I think it's easily on par with both Max Payne and Alan Wake. I usually fall asleep following stories in games but this one kept me fully awake. Graphics amazing, and gameplay is fun. The best gaming surprise of 2016 to me.

If the game was really bad or terrible, believe me, I would've tear it apart just like I always do in such cases, but the fact of the matter is - its amazing, whether you believe me or not.

I actually do believe you. What I've tried on Win 10 was convincing enough, and I love Remedy's storytelling.

I'll pick this up on Steam for sure; maybe even sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom