• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

prudislav

And I hope my internet connection isn't going to hold me back too much when streaming those cutscenes. (And, y'know, I hope the game's good :p)
1) they are not cutscenes (game cutscene are normally ingame) , but episodes of TV shows telling telling the story from different perspective (there are 4 of them each cca 22minutes and there is cca 20 variations depending on what you do ingame)
2) iirc PC version uses 4K ones so yes it wll be pain in the ass to stream

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I still dont understand why they won't give us the option to download the 1080p videos like on xbox one. It makes no sense, not everyone gives a fuck about 4k videos.

Mifec

I still dont understand why they won't give us the option to download the 1080p videos like on xbox one. It makes no sense, not everyone gives a fuck about 4k videos.

Not only that, they are all on YT anyway so it's not like they need to protect anything.

Of course it is. Almost every Windows Store/Xbox game Microsoft puts out on their marketplace eventually gets put out on Steam after a few months

EpicBox

So, do you guys think I can run this game OK?

AMD Athlon X4 750K (no overclocking whatsoever)
R9 270X 2GB
8GB DDR3
Windows 7
1080p being my screen resolution

(I know, I need to upgrade. Hopefully that will happen early next year.)

galv

Unconfirmed Member
If this game has this "reconstruction tech" that has 4xMSAA and all this other stuff to make a higher resolution image, would the game look decent or comparable to a hypothetical non-reconstructed 1080p at 720p/900p? Or is running the game at 1080p Medium the better option if 60FPS is a must?

The 4X MSAA and geometry rendering pass are for the reconstruction method used on Xbox One, they are not necessary on PC at all, but remedy is probably too deep in that hole to actually give us an option to not use that rendering tech.

Perhaps I am assuming too much, but with the DX12 version the "anti-alasing option" in menu did not control MSAA, TAA, or even some PPAA. Rather some sort of transparency AA (it only seemed to affect that in the tests I made). Or maybe it was actually controling something else... but what do I know! Here is a video showing what I mean.

Also, according Remedy documents on how they tackled AA , they do upscaling and TAA as one in the same process, and it ties into more parts of the renderer than just the final spatial image (they seem to use it for all PPs). A by product of this TAA/Upscale pass is ghosting.

And no matter if you turn Aliasing on/off or turn upscaling on/off in the PC version, you still get ghosting everywhere in the image. That makes me think that the upscaling feature on PC, and the toggel, actually just changes the ratio of internal render to the output resolution selected in the menu. Instead of 1:2, it then becomes 1:1 or something.

dr_rus

If this game has this "reconstruction tech" that has 4xMSAA and all this other stuff to make a higher resolution image, would the game look decent or comparable to a hypothetical non-reconstructed 1080p at 720p/900p? Or is running the game at 1080p Medium the better option if 60FPS is a must?

It really depends on if you prefer more advanced lighting and such over more detailed, crisp picture. Some people are ok with playing with reconstruction, some prefer the native resolution with less complex shaders.

rashbeep

Banned
It really depends on if you prefer more advanced lighting and such over more detailed, crisp picture. Some people are ok with playing with reconstruction, some prefer the native resolution with less complex shaders.

The IQ is the biggest deterrent to the visuals. The game looks so good without the reconstruction nonsense.

That's so fucking insane for a native 1080p game.

*edit* These are basically the benchmarks you'd expect for a top of the line visual game in 2016 at 4k, not 1080p. This is worse optimization than Batman.
Also just noticed the SLI numbers are deceptive since the game doesn't support SLI. Was looking at those at first since I'm running SLI myself. Non-SLI performance is still incredibly poor for 1080p, but it'd be nice if they patched in SLI support.
Game it's not poorly optimized, it just does stuff that are too much for even the most powerful current cards.

If you dial back the GI the game should perform as expected. Though it's in general a very demanding game.

jrcbandit

Game it's not poorly optimized, it just does stuff that are too much for even the most powerful current cards.

If you dial back the GI the game should perform as expected. Though it's in general a very demanding game.

Yeah, it's the lighting that really wrecks performance, it is not that the game is poorly optimized. I think I ran the game at 1080p with Scaling Off. Scaling ruins the fidelity of the graphics, everything is so freaking blurry. The choice is either 1080p no Scaling or 2560 with Scaling, basically, but IMO you should definitely try to avoid the scaling option at all costs.

Bebpo

Banned

I'll see when I play it someday (maybe because of this performance), but that's a pretty tough claim that it's doing stuff far beyond even the best looking & most demanding games on the market, because there are no games on the market that run as bad as this at 1080p and from what I've seen of QB it's not the best looking game ever made.

I'll see when I play it someday (maybe because of this performance), but that's a pretty tough claim that it's doing stuff far beyond even the best looking & most demanding games on the market, because there are no games on the market that run as bad as this at 1080p and from what I've seen of QB it's not the best looking game ever made.
I think at the moment it's the most advanced game technically yet.

The lighting is second to none. Everything you char does seems grounded because of how the gi is dynamic, even for very mundane tasks like opening a door, or even having the entire scenery changing in front of you while the light always feels correct.

The asset quality, speaking of both modelling and texturing is also top notch. You'll see tons of really fine details like even npcs having eyelashes or modelled screws on their armor (that even reflect everything).

And then there's the post processing. Everything is so clean and so movie like that some effects are actually better done in game than in the series like the time shattering, which is by itself an spectacle, when you are dashing through deforming everything (and the lighting properly changing to that deformation).

Throw in tons of volumetric lights and particles and it's really hard not to be in awe when this game moves.

Anybody's Amazon orders say they shipped? They used to be great with release-date delivery, but it has been a long time since I ordered a physical game.

Anybody's Amazon orders say they shipped? They used to be great with release-date delivery, but it has been a long time since I ordered a physical game.

I don't think so. I got my order in really close to the page going live, and I'm still waiting for a delivery estimate.

I've got a feeling that they're having issues manufacturing, so I wouldn't be surprised if things don't ship until next week at the earliest. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though!

Javin98

Banned
The 4X MSAA and geometry rendering pass are for the reconstruction method used on Xbox One, they are not necessary on PC at all, but remedy is probably too deep in that hole to actually give us an option to not use that rendering tech.
I had hoped that the 4x MSAA and geometry rendering pass would be dropped in the Steam version for massively improved performance, but alas, this is disappointing to see.

Nothing from my end either. Fucking hell Amazon...

EDIT: I have a feeling we won't see the retail copy on our doorsteps for a good long while...

I had hoped that the 4x MSAA and geometry rendering pass would be dropped in the Steam version for massively improved performance, but alas, this is disappointing to see.

It is very likely baked deeply into their rendering pipeline, which means it is hard if not impossible to remove without a major rewrite. Keep in mind the game is built for Xbox One and Xbox One only, PC is an afterthought.

Javin98

Banned
It is very likely baked deeply into their rendering pipeline, which means it is hard if not impossible to remove without a major rewrite. Keep in mind the game is built for Xbox One and Xbox One only, PC is an afterthought.
Yep, but with the Steam version being released almost half a year after the XB1 and UWP versions, I had hoped Remedy had the time and put in the effort to rework their rendering pipeline to make 4x MSAA and 2x geometry rendering pass optional on PC, since both aren't necessarily needed at native res, like you said, but unfortunately, they didn't. So, while I dislike using the term "unoptimized" unless the port is unquestionably horrible, Quantum Break on PC can be considered "unoptimized" in a way.

tioslash

Did they fucking put this up on their site with no stock on hand?

I´m pretty disappointed since I´ve pre-ordered the thing. Also the fact that supposedly the 2 week delay was due to mastering and manufacting to allow people to get the retail copy and the digital version at the same time.

Phinor

Nope. Still with delivery date pending.

It also says "Temporarily out of stock" on Amazon´s page.

For what it's worth, the retail version is also still unavailable in Finland as well. Extra two weeks wasn't enough it seems. Few shops here and there (Germany at least) have managed to get copies so the retail version does exist and hopefully becomes available worldwide soon. Still, it's a fail from the publisher to not get copies into stores for release date especially after you already asked for a delay on the digital version.

Got mine a few hours ago.

aWwrHuv.jpg

For what it's worth, the retail version is also still unavailable in Finland as well. Extra two weeks wasn't enough it seems. Few shops here and there (Germany at least) have managed to get copies so the retail version does exist and hopefully becomes available worldwide soon. Still, it's a fail from the publisher to not get copies into stores for release date especially after you already asked for a delay on the digital version.

At least here in Finland, stores should have it on Friday. Dont know why the delay.

I'm really tempted just to cancel my Amazon order and buy it from cdkeys.

EDIT: Just cancelled it and ordered it from cdkeys. I can care less about the extras at this point.

laxu

What the hell is this game doing to only barely run at 30 fps on a 980 Ti (albeit non-overclocked) in 1440p without the scaling thing?

Top Bottom