• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gameplay (Gamescom 2015)

W.S.

Wasn't there supposed to be an option to play as a female protagonist as well? I could have sworn Beth Wilder was the other playable character.

moered6

Banned
Wasn't there supposed to be an option to play as a female protagonist as well? I could have sworn Beth Wilder was the other playable character.
Think they said you could play as her in some instances, probably been scrapped though

Trup1aya

I agree. This new guy, I like him, but he is a little distractingly too good looking, he doesn't look like the average person like that other guy did, which is what made him look more distinctive.

Hmm I couldn't get over how much the last guy looked like every other remedy protagonist ever...

Game looks really awesome. I'd say that I wish Remedy did more games than they do, but keeping the timeline than they do is probably what helps maintain their level of quality.

Kamina777

Banned
I agree. This new guy, I like him, but he is a little distractingly too good looking, he doesn't look like the average person like that other guy did, which is what made him look more distinctive.
I like the new guy in anything he does, he's got a geeks heart, always enthusiastic in a way that is easy to pick up.

The effects in this game (ground warping, etc) look amazing. The time lapse stuff looks amazing.

The effects in this game are also overdone and distracting when it comes to gameplay.

The gameplay (ie gunplay and traversal) looks incredibly mundane given the premise and concepts at play. Multiple times in that gameplay trailer the player just ran right up to an enemy from a dozen feet away while they were being shot just to punch them (or rip the time thing off their back). That execution shouldn't be rewarded; you should have to shoot the enemy in the leg or something first to throw them off.

I'm hoping Remedy really goes all out with the time stuff when it comes to actual gameplay. Max Payne was great because of the slow-motion diving. In this game, there's an actual legit excuse for using slow motion.

I want to see a player pause time right after an enemy throws a grenade so he can shoot the grenade, unpause time, and have it blow up right next to the enemy.

I don't want ot see the player shoot enemies from behind a box, pause time, run to a different box, shoot enemies, pause time, run back to the first box, repeat ad naseum. Shit looks boring.

Here's hoping it's a gem.

Having seen the extended GC demo last week, I agree with this. They really need to make encounter design meaningful by forcing you to mix up powers and be creative and putting you up against an AI that puts up a fight. I was more impressed with the ridiculously dynamic Uncharted 4 PSX demo, which had AI on the move, a big open and vertical combat sandbox to play in and tons of ways of dealing with the enemies.

I hope this gets there

Best One demo at the show? No. Not even close. The extended Scalebound demo I saw was the best thing at the entire show. No contest.

That felt truly fresh and epic to me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
im surprised people dont yet understand that games are usually demod on easy mode to show off as much as they can in a limited time. of course these engagements looked simplistic. you wont be able to play the final game like that unless they release with toddler difficulty.

im surprised people dont yet understand that games are usually demod on easy mode to show off as much as they can in a limited time. of course these engagements looked simplistic. you wont be able to play the final game like that unless they release with toddler difficulty.

I want the game to be demoed the way it plays. I also played Dark Souls 3 and Cuphead, both of which were challenging and mechanically interesting.

solis74

RedPitifulIberiannase.gif

<3 <3

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I want the game to be demoed the way it plays.

me too. doesnt change the fact that many games give off an entirely different look when demo'd due to altered difficulty. halo 5's e3 showing was panned for the same thing despite fans knowing how the final encounters will play out. this looks to clearly have the same issue but should be fine once the controller is in our hands.

Ushay

My one fear is the game ends up having a short campaign. It's usually the case with these higher budget titles, but everything else screams top quality here.

So good.

NANOW

Neo Member
Look at what I found :p

Read IT : The video clips are taken from Gamescom 2015 and previous showing..But the Audio is from Behind Closed Door Developer Gamescom 2015 presentation (which wasnt allowed to be recorded on video) ..Watch full video till the end for Q/A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwlybAdFaY

edit : sorry saw it was already posted here is the link to the article detailing everything being said though :

http://www.pakgamers.com/previews/quantum-break-game-play-and-story-details-from-gamescom-2015/

Having seen the extended GC demo last week, I agree with this. They really need to make encounter design meaningful by forcing you to mix up powers and be creative and putting you up against an AI that puts up a fight. I was more impressed with the ridiculously dynamic Uncharted 4 PSX demo, which had AI on the move, a big open and vertical combat sandbox to play in and tons of ways of dealing with the enemies.

I hope this gets there

Best One demo at the show? No. Not even close. The extended Scalebound demo I saw was the best thing at the entire show. No contest.

That felt truly fresh and epic to me.

I'm curious to hear more impressions from people who saw the extended demo. Alan Wake's gameplay, while basic, was mixed up quite a bit using the environments which helped vary the gameplay up. I have no doubt Remedy has done the same here, but we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully keeping us on our toes with the encounters will happen instead of just having the puzzles/platforming sections really require us to focus on mixing powers to make it through an area.

This game was pretty impressive graphically when they showed it off. Has there been any direct feed from gamersyde or the like? Definitely want to see it in action.

Raide

In Hi-Def, I am really starting to love the time effects. All the ripples, the smoke suspended in the air and then to watch it all click back into place.

I guess you could play this game without the time stuff to a certain extent but I am going to use them just to see those amazing effects over and over.

Never noticed it before but the time bubble explosion thingy seems to be aimed on the ground AoE style.

derFeef

In Hi-Def, I am really starting to love the time effects. All the ripples, the smoke suspended in the air and then to watch it all click back into place.

I guess you could play this game without the time stuff to a certain extent but I am going to use them just to see those amazing effects over and over.

Never noticed it before but the time bubble explosion thingy seems to be aimed on the ground AoE style.

Yep, starting to notice more stuff with higher bitrate and quality.
Wondering why remedy does not release the video in much higher quality.

Raide

Yep, starting to notice more stuff with higher bitrate and quality.
Wondering why remedy does not release the video in much higher quality.

It boggles my mind that so many developers and publishers don't fire out high quality footage from the off. Are they hiding poor quality? Do they just not have the resources to make it good before sending it to PR? Who knows!

Harmen

It looks fantastic. Wasn't convinced before, but this is most definately the biggest title for the One to me.

Only thing remedy needs to watch out for imo is to prevent repetition. Alan Wake was stellar in terms of presentation, characters/story and core mechanics, but felt very repetative after a while in terms of gameplay. The shooting with light mechanic lost it's initial "wow, this is fantastic!" novelty (but still felt great over the whole game I might add) and I felt the design of the encounters and levels did not do that much to mix things up. I felt the same about Max Payne 2.

Still, this time manipulation concept seems to allow for a lot of different things and the dynamics between live-action and game seems very interesting. I'm positive it will be a great experience.

I hadn't seen the Gamescom demo until now with the Gamersyde videos. I'm completely sold on this. And Aiden Gillen as a possible antagonist? Sign me up! Very excited.

Gamersyde footage is very nice. The quality of the texturing is great, while the poly count in the environments looks good but not amazing. Pretty typical of remedy, but they seem to have finally reached a good balance with this one. Thought low poly assets were pretty evident on AW on PC, mitigated somewhat by excellent texturing and lighting.

It boggles my mind that so many developers and publishers don't fire out high quality footage from the off. Are they hiding poor quality? Do they just not have the resources to make it good before sending it to PR? Who knows!

The video was actually released by Remedy themselves on their Vimeo account like they usually do (same as last years Gamescom demos)

Hoje0308

Banned
Something that initially worried me about this game was the rhythm of the encounters, but now that's become the thing that intrigues me most. I'm really looking forward to putting that sprint ability to creative use. The thought of this and U4 releasing within a month or two of each other means my spring should be filled with some quality TPS action.

Adam M

Gamersyde footage is very nice. The quality of the texturing is great, while the poly count in the environments looks good but not amazing. Pretty typical of remedy, but they seem to have finally reached a good balance with this one. Thought low poly assets were pretty evident on AW on PC, mitigated somewhat by excellent texturing and lighting.

Remedy games are always about the story and art not the the graphics. I mean yeah their standards for graphics is high but they never make games just for to impress people with visuals. That's why they don't make games too often. They are not aiming for graphics awards.

higemaru

I really loved Alan Wake and this looks really cool too. Glad to see it has an actual release too and it's not in limbo like Alan Wake always was. This and Scalebound make me want an Xbox One but I figure at least one of them will end up on the PC eventually.

Remedy games are always about the story and art not the the graphics. I mean yeah their standards for graphics is high but they never make games just for to impress people with visuals. That's why they don't make games too often. They are not aiming for graphics awards.

Eh, I think they excel in presentation to be honest. But yeah, they seem to be interested in exploring the narrative medium which is great. I think they have taken a pretty big risk with both the medium and the presentation of this game, so I am pretty impressed.

Top Bottom