• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break "just hit full production"

Sid

So the engine has been up and running on PS4 since mid December last year , the first game demonstrating how their engine handles on PS4 is out in a 6 weeks or so ?

I don't think that article says what your saying it does tbh.
I hope it is,I thought that if they were just getting their engine up and running and new AAA games take ~2 years of dev time at least it could not be a 2015 title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This year looks so friggin' empty for exclusives on the One and PS4.
Third parties drive almost all the sales in the industry these days so I imagine neither feels very pressured.

Neither likes losing money anymore either so funding a small stable of safer games is seen as preferable to funding a large array of risky projects.

tasch

Banned
Aren't they building an entire t.v show to go with the game? I think this is going to be one of the hardest games to understand from a production stand-point.

RulkezX

Aren't they building an entire t.v show to go with the game? I think this is going to be one of the hardest games to understand from a production stand-point.

This was discussed yesterday , apparently it's not.

After each chapter in game there will be a video chapter related to the game somehow. Everything ships on the disc

RayMaker

Banned
The only time Remedy has been really long making a game is Alan wake and the original max payne, when doing max payne 2, it was a 2 year dev cycle.

but what have remedy been doing since 2010?. Remedy started very early work on max payne in 1996 after they shipped death rally, and they begin thinking about alan wake in 2003 after max payne 2.

So it makes sence that they started thinking about quantum break shortly after alan wake.
Max payne took 4 years for it land since conception,Alan wake is there only game that took a ridiculously long time since conception.

and you have to remember with Alan wake they showed one trailer of it and then we didnt really year much for years. Also alan wake went through many changes it was originally an open world game, and the Microsoft partnership would have slowed things down a bit.

With quantum break its different, they have been firmly aligned with MS or years now and were planning using the Xbox one from the very start of development (with dev kits mind you), so a smoother development process should occur.

http://youtu.be/gxb_75Z1h-k?t=4m29s

In this interview he states there out of pre production hence in production for at least a year, they could of been in production for even longer! he just stated that they they are not long in pre -prod and are in production he did state how long for, they could of been in production for 6 month before that interview.

With it been in production for at least a year and the fact they have shown some gameplay snippets I think fall 2014 is defo possible, its very un Microsoft to show vidocs with little gameplay segments and have the devs talk about the gameplay and game as a whole when a game has years until it lands.

I'am calling a fall 2014 launch, going with my gut.

Even when you consider how video game fans behave? If we had early shots or footage of something they would be brought into every thread about the game by detractors. They'd be used in GIFs in disparaging ways.

We don't get access to them because we can't handle it.

We can't even handle someone saying that a developer is in "full production" on a game! No one here even knows what that means (could be that now the entire studio is working on it rather than just 90 percent of them...who knows), but it hasn't stopped some from taking the two-word tidbit of information to extremes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
p6u83cC.jpg

p6u83cC.jpg

Timeaisis

2016 it is then. I'll have forgotten about it by then. The real depressing thing is that probably means no new Alan Wake till at least 2017.

BouncyFrag

Gen 8 is shaping up as the 'soon' generation.
'soon' being code for not even remotely close. Best you get tucked into your preferred cryostasis container

abadguy

Banned
So the engine has been up and running on PS4 since mid December last year , the first game demonstrating how their engine handles on PS4 is out in a 6 weeks or so ?

I don't think that article says what your saying it does tbh.

Of course it wasn't... thats why we saw a Black Tusk game that didn't exist past some early ideas and a Halo game that's not coming until Fall 2015.

funny as i don't remember seeing a "5" at the end of that Halo trailer but yeah stick with the narrative that suits you i guess....

prag16

Banned
"Full production" seems to be kind of a fuzzy term. If what comes before it is considered "preproduction", this could be a VERY long way off, as in 2 years plus. And shit, now the possible PC port would be even later still. I'd buy an xbone, but I need more than one must have game to entice me.

Why did they announce it last year, then, and what the fuck have they been doing?

This... does Remedy have any other known projects? How large is the studio? What would the rest of the studio have been doing for the past year or two?

Respawn

Banned
The frame rate was all over the place and the graphics lacked polish. The impressions/previews from Journalists also mentioned the same.
So how does these issues stop it from releasing this year? Lots of games get these Knicks and knacks fixed close to the end.

The only time Remedy has been really long making a game is Alan wake and the original max payne, when doing max payne 2, it was a 2 year dev cycle.

Dude, those are the only full fledged games Remedy has made, not counting the Death Rally titles (which were smaller releases) and the Alan Wake DLC.

Plus Max Payne 2 shouldn't even really count since it was a direct sequel that pretty much replicated the experience of its predecessor.

With major, original releases Remedy has clearly taken its time in the past.

I'm preparing for a massive reworking of D4. Not based on anything other than the game suddenly going dark and there being no significant status updates since late February....

I doubt it. They have to get something out in Japan by Sept.

I meant it will already have undergone a reworking. It's probably not episodic any more, also think it won't have any Kinect functionality either...

Game doesn't suddenly go dark for months without some major happening in the background...

StoopKid

Yep. MS were in panic mode at E3 last year so just threw everything out there, even if it was too early for a proper reveal. Fable Legends, Quantum Break and Halo 5 were nowhere near ready.

I bet your going get to a lot of the same this years e3 and you'll prob see these same games again at this years e3.

I meant it will already have undergone a reworking. It's probably not episodic any more, also think it won't have any Kinect functionality either...

Game doesn't suddenly go dark for months without some major happening in the background...

Oh I read that as you not thinking it'll come out this year. Yeah, it might be episodic still, but in the Alan Wake way (all episodes released as one game). I wish AW would have been released in episodes.

I always was under the impression this game would be episodic for some reason. If so, we could easily see the first season get released by years end.

Head.spawn

I can only assume, "just hit full production" probably means something else for them than what we're thinking. How else could they have had a playable form, scenes from the "tv-show" already shot from a year ago and only just now be in full production?

"Full production" might mean they're throwing the entire weight of the team behind it, instead of a portion of the team focusing on it, maybe the rest of the team was working on something else. That's the only way this makes any damned sense in my head.

I can only assume, "just hit full production" probably means something else for them than what we're thinking. How else could they have had a playable form, scenes from the "tv-show" already shot from a year ago and only just now be in full production?

"Full production" might mean they're throwing the entire weight of the team behind it, instead of a portion of the team focusing on it, maybe the rest of the team was working on something else. That's the only way this makes any damned sense in my head.

It just seems like a weird thing to say. Maybe MS Studios has non-Remedy team members on the game (like Killer Instinct) now and that's what they mean by full production.

Can't imagine they'd work Kinect out of it based on the previews. Swery seemed super down with it as well as the way to play it. It already had controller support anyway.

abadguy

Banned
I always was under the impression this game would be episodic for some reason. If so, we could easily see the first season get released by years end.
Every "episode" will be on a single blu ray according to Remedy. Though i think that would be a cool way to release it with the "collected season 1" appearing at the end of the year. Said the same for Alan Wake.

Oh I read that as you not thinking it'll come out this year. Yeah, it might be episodic still, but in the Alan Wake way (all episodes released as one game). I wish AW would have been released in episodes.

Yeah, I always thought MS/Remedy missed a beat by not releasing the game episodically via Live Arcade.

And yeah, I agree that it'll probably be episodic in how it plays, but the entire game will ship on the disc instead of new episodes every couple of months. If it gives the game a better chance of success, I'm all for it, but they really need to get a move on and release it before the late Summer/Autumn rush begins...

Sydle

We can't even handle someone saying that a developer is in "full production" on a game! No one here even knows what that means (could be that now the entire studio is working on it rather than just 90 percent of them...who knows), but it hasn't stopped some from taking the two-word tidbit of information to extremes.

Agreed.

Can't imagine they'd work Kinect out of it based on the previews. Swery seemed super down with it as well as the way to play it. It already had controller support anyway.

That's true. If it does retain Kinect functionality, I can't see them promoting it nearly as much as they might otherwise have done if all SKU still had Kinect bundled...

The August to November range has Sunset, Horizons 2, Halo 2+Collection and apparently some sort of Japanese title.

Or at least, it seems that way based off leaks and what not. Four exclusives along with the some big multiplats that aren't per annum. If they were to try and squeeze QB out this year it would be likely to get overshadowed, even on its only platform.

More time to cook and a better release point seems a better idea.

Googling around and found this article from August 2012 where Remedy said they were working on a next gen game. Threw a little hint in there.

"Right now we're working as always with a relatively small team on a next-generation project," Hakkinen said. "You always ask yourself: Can the new consoles really be that much better than the old ones? Be assured: They are. It is a quantum leap forward."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/next-gen-consoles-a-quantum-leap-says-remedy/1100-6393142/

hehehehe

abadguy

Banned
Oh come on! Obviously "full production" means this game won't be on store shelves till Nov 2027 at the earliest.

Rembrandt

Banned

I could have sworn somebody asked him around the time MS removed Kinect and he still confirmed Kinect functionality.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Swery65/statuses/466392422566862848[/tweet]

I could have sworn somebody asked him around the time MS removed Kinect and he still confirmed Kinect functionality.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Swery65/statuses/466392422566862848[/tweet]

Huh, that's surprising.

Now we just need to find out why the game suddenly went dark...

And this is exactly why I dislike the way MS is handling announcements. They're showing things and revealing games too early. By next year, QB will have been at E3 3 times (assuming it comes out in the latter half of 2015). Same thing for Halo 5. Fable will also be out 2 years after getting announced.

So essentially, if MS "blows their load" again this E3, that means that the games we see this E3 are the games we'll be seeing for next two years or so. It's exactly the same problem I had with Sony back in the first few years of the PS3.

SO + Master Chief Collection + White Console and I'll consider still making my purchase this year, though QB slipping really puts big minus on my X1 purchase.

arhra

A new IP that could easily be the best thing ever or utter shit, ports of old games (no matter how awesome , and without the info on pricing) and an arcade racer is pretty weak for your exclusive line up going into your second Christmas period.

The funny thing is, I honestly couldn't tell if you were talking about the MS or Sony lineup there. It matches either of them equally well based on what we know (or can reasonably infer, in the case of Horizon 2) right now about the rest of the year.

On the subject of Quantum Break, Sam Lake tweeted this a few weeks ago:

KNZWJpF.png

So this guy's "full production" might just be implying that they've finally started filming the live-action segments in earnest. I think there was talk about decisions in-game influencing what cut of the live action parts you'd see, so quite possible they couldn't start filming properly until they knew exactly what they'd need to film (ie, not until the overall story and structure of the game in nailed down, which is usually relatively late in development, thanks to implementation issues causing changes of plans).

I'd still be fairly surprised if it hits this year, but before next E3 seems like a possibility.

Huh, that's surprising.

Now we just need to find out why the game suddenly went dark...

My guess is that as its episodic, they wanted a more regular schedule of episodes and they delayed it for extra polish, maybe add some content, ensure it met the goals Swery had for the game but also to ensure a proper and regular release of episodes.

Either that or they're making it into just one game now and its being released at Japanese launch...

Chettlar

Banned
The funny thing is, I honestly couldn't tell if you were talking about the MS or Sony lineup there. It matches either of them equally well based on what we know right now about the rest of the year.

On the subject of Quantum Break, Sam Lake tweeted this a few weeks ago:

KNZWJpF.png

So this guy's "full production" might just be implying that they've finally started filming the live-action segments in earnest. I think there was talk about decisions in-game influencing what cut of the live action parts you'd see, so quite possible they couldn't start filming properly until they knew exactly what they'd need to film (ie, not until the overall story and structure of the game in nailed down, which is usually relatively late in development, thanks to implementation issues causing changes of plans).

I'd still be fairly surprised if it hits this year, but before next E3 seems like a possibility.

Sounds very reasonable.

My guess is that as its episodic, they wanted a more regular schedule of episodes and they delayed it for extra polish, maybe add some content, ensure it met the goals Swery had for the game but also to ensure a proper and regular release of episodes.

Either that or they're making it into just one game now and its being released at Japanese launch...

I think if they re aiming for a Sept release, it has to be disc based, otherwise what would have been the point to delay it until Sept if they still intend to go episodic.

Saying that, you do raise a good point in them perhaps wanting to make sure the episodes have a regular schedule and they don't fall into the same trap TWD or TWAU fell into with 3+ month delays between episodes.

Top Bottom