• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break: TV show woven into game based on your choices; dynamic cover system

Even Kojima embraces video games as their own medium now, at least with what we've seen of The Phantom Pain. Things like being able to play sequences in a unique order, or stumbling across story moments. Doesn't seem like he's tacking a movie onto MGSV.

I don't think I want to watch a four episode TV show while playing a video game.

Well, they're skippable, so you don't have to watch them.

derFeef

Gameplay and story shouldn't be segregated; well-designed games are supposed to bring them as close together as possible. It takes guts to try something like this, so I do respect them for that. It just seems backwards.

There is still lots of story. The show only complements the package and is there for those wanting the full package and experience.

There is still lots of story. The show only complements the package and is there for those wanting the full package and experience.
If what Sam Lake said is true, and skipping the episodes means that you'll be missing important story elements, than that's not complementary--it's integral.

Mifune

Mehmber
Gameplay and story shouldn't be segregated; well-designed games are supposed to bring them as close together as possible. It takes guts to try something like this, so I do respect them for that. It just seems backwards.

Yeah, this is kinda how I feel. I hope it will be entertaining but I'm not sure how harkening back to the Sega CD is pushing interactive storytelling forward.

LaneDS

Yeah, this is kinda how I feel. I hope it will be entertaining but I'm not sure how harkening back to the Sega CD is pushing interactive storytelling forward.

HD video and actors you've seen on HBO!

I'm looking forward to it, for the record, but think it's a missed opportunity. The initial pitch suggested something more ambitious, at least to me.

Daingurse

Dynamic cover is cool, I really enjoyed the system in Tomb Raider and TLOU. This TV show integration is sounding more and more interesting too.

I think it's cool they're taking a chance and trying something new like this. Whether it pans out or not, at least they're being creative. I'll reserve my judgement for the tv part after I play it. I know, weird.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, this is what I am wary of. I suppose it could end up being great.

But at the same time, I feel that breaking up "play time" with watching TV time, is kind of....not a good feeling, or rather, takes me out of "the zone?" of play mentality when I go to TV watching mentality (does that even make sense?)

Yeah, this is what I am wary of. I suppose it could end up being great.

But at the same time, I feel that breaking up "play time" with watching TV time, is kind of....not a good feeling, or rather, takes me out of "the zone?" of play mentality when I go to TV watching mentality (does that even make sense?)
Makes sense to me. It would be similarly weird if I were watching a TV show, and every few hours it all stopped so I could read a (skippable but story-critical) chapter from a companion novel or something.

I dunno, reading the article would help maybe. It's more than that. Also this is interesting:

This doesnt answer my question of why it cant be an in-game cutscene
Do i need to show you my internet history for you to believe i read the article?

Remedy are among the very few developers that can tell really amazing stories that could benefit from expanded media. Usually these attempts fall by the wayside; webseries nobody watches, comics nobody know about, etc. - but this is different. They're including a high budget liveaction series in the game with high production values and featuring reputable actors. It basically elevates the storytelling platform to a whole new level, which is something than anyone who really cares about the story in games ought to be excited about.

This i can understand. I'm actually alittle more interested in it now.

Mifune

Mehmber
One way I could see the TV show concept working is if the episodes are collected in the game. So they'd act as a more advanced version of audio logs.

But mostly I just see myself skipping the episodes until I'm done with a play session. And then feeling weird about missing part of the story. I don't know, it seems awkward, but those crazy kids at Remedy might be the ones to make it work.

Remedy has a hard-on for this TV shit, and I don't get why..
Remedy has always been into FMV.

hqdefault.jpg

Sorry, got Lords and Ladies theme song stuck in my head now :p

Pretty cool that spotting things in the tv episodes will net something in the actual game, as their way of collectibles.

How you'll play and watch Quantum Break (and why you shouldn't skip the cutscenes)
"We are doing things like something that we are calling butterfly effects," Lake says. "There are certain trigger points in the levels that, if you trigger it, it's the beginning of a butterfly effect, and then there is a chain of events, these kind of unforeseen consequences, and you'll see something happening in the show. And with that, you are getting a certain collectible.

"Then again, the other side around, they are certain props that contain information that you see in the show, which you miss if you don't watch the show. And by finding those specific props in the following act in the game, we are unlocking further content for you."

That's part of how your in-game actions will change Quantum Break's show scenes. Remedy tailors them for players, depending on their actions, to create a player-specific version of the show. And as the game goes on and the number of possible actions to perform and items to find increases, so does the detail in the story.

"It's piling up," Lake says. "So when we get to the last episode, we have quite a few permutations of individual scenes in there."

fedexpeon

Banned
So you can play for 1-2hrs, then a 20mins episode will play afterward, after that, you continue on to play the game, raise/repeat?

This is MGS4 again isn't it?

Verger

Banned
So you can play for 1-2hrs, then a 20mins episode will play afterward, after that, you continue on to play the game, raise/repeat?

This is MGS4 again isn't it?
I was just thinking at its base level it sounds awfully like TV-episode length live-action cutscenes within the game.

Again, my biggest worry is that playing a game, and then sitting back and watching a show, then going back to playing, is kind of an odd feeling.

Yeah you can skip the show, but then you feel you're missing out on the story.

Jeff Gertsmann is right about these things have got to either be really well done or be hilariously bad. If it is mediocre it could really bring down the rest of the game. Which makes this such an odd choice, since so much of the game's quality may end up riding on these FMV cutscenes.

moered6

Banned
Jeff Gertsmann is right about these things have got to either be really well done or be hilariously bad. If it is mediocre it could really bring down the rest of the game. Which makes this such an odd choice, since so much of the game's quality may end up riding on these FMV cutscenes.

a strong story telling studio + great cast

solis74

Remedy are among the very few developers that can tell really amazing stories that could benefit from expanded media. Usually these attempts fall by the wayside; webseries nobody watches, comics nobody know about, etc. - but this is different. They're including a high budget liveaction series in the game with high production values and featuring reputable actors. It basically elevates the storytelling platform to a whole new level, which is something than anyone who really cares about the story in games ought to be excited about.

Agree.

I really, really like the sound of this; reinforcing in-game decisions with TV episodes seems like it might really build into the illusion of choice. Like, your decisions become so relevant, they effect these real people! Could be very cool.

Also, soft cover down well is ace.

gamerMan

I know a lot of video game developers are trying to make video games like movies. I feel this is the closest you can get. Part of the game is a movie. That is revolutionary idea.

Dabanton

Good thing they have reliably good actors. And let be honest here most games have absolutely dreadful voice and acting and are still seen as good. This seems a much better step up immediately.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so tv show = live action cutscenes?

thought i'd be standalone like...explore other characters. guess that went away with original programming.

instead it seems like choose your own adventure style where they are just filming variations on the videos based on in game choices? wonder why they decided to make it live action...is it cheaper to do it that way?

solis74

I really, really like the sound of this; reinforcing in-game decisions with TV episodes seems like it might really build into the illusion of choice. Like, your decisions become so relevant, they effect these real people! Could be very cool.

Also, soft cover down well is ace.

Indeed.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Because no ones ever done it before and it could be really cool? Because doing the same shit over and over is boring?

Defiance did something similar.

Only difference is I actually want to play QB.

ShogunX

Sure, but the second you use live action the standards change immediately. It is a big risk is all I am saying. They have the cast, hopefully the direction and writing is as good.

It certainly is a risk but seeing as it's Remedy and they have stellar pedigree they well and truly deserve our trust and benefit of the doubt.

This isn't some two bit studio, these guys know what they are doing and personally I'm fully behind whatever they offer us next year. The 30+ minute show that accompanied Alan Wake (Bright Falls I think it was) was excellent and set the tone for the game. Not sure about other people but I also liked how Alan Wake was broken up and each chapter finished with a song - I mean Episode 1 ended with fucking Roy Orbison!

Remedy *bow, we are not worthy. If any game studio can pull it off, it is them.

My only concern is that I hope the normal game area is a decent length similar to Alan Wake and Max Payne. Having it be only four episodes that happen after the certain segments seems like it means there is only about 4 chapters. Hopefully if that is the case they are very meaty and are around an hour and a half each if not more. Of course I'm expecting a similar length of gameplay to Alan Wake probably which would be perfect.

Remedy has a hard-on for this TV shit, and I don't get why..

Because in my opinion they've always had a real passion and talent for it ever since the original Max Payne, and it's always brought positive attributes to their games. It's a strength of the dev, and I think it makes sense for them to continue exploring and even expanding on that strength.

Top Bottom