• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Code:
Init: 1D20+7 => [ 8 ] +7 = 15
Quintus casts Glitter dust on the female and orc on the other side of the room, hopefully keeping them out of the fight for a while.

((btw, who big is the place? Basically want to know if i could cast enlarge person on someone and they'd still be able to move and attack properly.))

((I'm pretty sure the save DC for your Glitterdust is 16, but if I forgot something then remind me.

Yes, the ceiling is reasonably high enough that Enlarge Person would work fine, at least in this room.

Sarm, if you want to delay til the end of the round then that's fine by me, as long as there isn't too big of a delay in posting after the rest of the party goes. It's also okay if you want to specify "If someone gets hit, I want to heal them; otherwise, _______." Just keep in mind that you're the only person in the party with any kind of tanking ability, because no one else can wear heavy armor. Also, no one else is wielding a melee weapon.))

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Bones sends his dog out to attack Davos and readies his bow to fire off an arrow at the same time.

init: 1d20: 13+5= 18
to hit: 1d20: 20+8= 28
arrow damage: 1d6= 2
dog's bite damage: 1d6: 4+3= 7

Songbird

Prodigal Son
With Quintus' attempt to dazzle the orc and female guard bolstered by Bones' planned assault on Davos, it becomes clear that Ivor must decide on a target - and quickly!

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  5 + 4 modifier = 9

Looking to Sarm, Ivor draws his twin daggers and points one at the half orc before heading into battle.

((Could we double-team this guy? Would hopefully be effective.))

Sarm had intended to cast a spell on the Half-Orc to allow the others to past by him, but seeing as the others are much faster than he is in his slowness to consider, he simply decides to go with Ivor's idea, pulling out his mace and shield, and nods back at him.

((I wanted to Hold Person so everyone could pass the Half-Orc without provoking AoO, but since I rolled initiative badly I'm just going to attack him with Ivor instead.))

Code:
Attack roll: 1D20+5 => [ 10 ] +5 = 15
Damage roll: 1D8+2 => [ 4 ] +2 = 6

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I'm going to need a little time to calculate my attack rolls, since I've forgotten the dual wield penalty. Also, sorry for being so slow! I'm still committing to a post a day but timezones are timezones.))

((Hmm, if your weapons are light (which if they're daggers they should be), and if you have the Two Weapon Fighting feat, the penalties should just be -2 for both of your rolls.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Hmm, if your weapons are light (which if they're daggers they should be), and if you have the Two Weapon Fighting feat, the penalties should just be -2 for both of your rolls.))
((Same as the light crossbows? That's very helpful, thanks. Let's roll!))

Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  15 13
Attack 1: 15 + 4 = 19 to-hit
Attack 2: 13 + 4 = 17 to-hit

Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  3 2 (mehhhhh)
Attack 1: 3 dmg
Attack 2: 2 dmg

((Weapon finesse means a plus six modifier, two weapon fighting means minus 2. Ok? :) Btw Kittenmaster, did you draw your avatar?))

((Don't forget to add your Str modifier to your damage rolls if you have one. While I'm saying stuff like this, I think bones needs to roll stuff because he crit (confirmation roll and an extra damage if he succeeds)).

((And yeah, I drew my avatar. I'm still far from an expert though.))

((I took care of confirming Bones's critical hit. Since bows deal 3x damage on a Crit, I rerolled the damage and ended up with maximum damage of 18.))

A menacing howl is the only warning that the kidnappers get before Daisy the riding dog charges into action. Kempok the Half Orc is put on alert by the battlecry, and hacks at Daisy as she blazes by him; she attempts to dodge, but only partially sidesteps as the edge of the handaxe grazes flesh from her side (Daisy takes d8 + 3 = 10 damage).

Undeterred, Daisy hones in on her target: the red-haired man sitting at the table. She tries for a vicious bite, but the man is quick to intercept, and her teeth sink into the rough hide of the leather glove that still covers his left hand. However, this distracts him from the deadly arrow headed straight for him, and with precision aiming, Bones's projectile lodges itself between two of his ribs. He howls in pain, but he appears to still have fight within him.

Meanwhile, Sarm and Ivor share a quick glance of understanding to each other, and as Sarm moves forward to catch the half-orc's attention, Ivor quietly hurls two deadly daggers at him. The tactic works, as Kempok is not ready for attacks on so many fronts, and both daggers connect, one appearing to hit a vital organ ((Sneak Attack - you didn't include that in your damage, so I added it in)). Sarm quickly follows up with a mace to the face, which connects handily and leaves the half-orc not looking so hot.

Quintus's spell goes off, and Ugrok the Orc growls in frustration, having been blinded by an explosion of sparkly dust, but Leeta is able to shield her eyes long enough to get safely out of its reach.

((The bad guys beat your highest initiative, so they'll be going first each round now. I'm just going to tell you who's doing what in game actions, and then after you guys all go, I'll put it all together into a narrative description afterward))

Ugrok pulls the drums out from behind his back and begins playing a song on them. His allies get bonuses to Attack and Damage.

Davos stands up, quick-draws his Longsword, and attacks Daisy. d20 + 9 = 23 to hit. I don't know Daisy's AC, but I'm assuming that hits, and she takes d8 + 5 = 10 damage.

Kempok attacks Sarm with his handaxe, d20 + 7 = 12 to hit (miss).

Leeta quick-draws two throwing daggers and hurls them both at Sarm. First attack, d20 + 5 = 25; roll to confirm is d20 + 5 = 12. So, no critical hit, but instead a regular hit. Second attack: d20 + 5 = 13, miss. First attack deals d4 + 3 = 5 damage.

You guys are up!

Quintus stays back and casts enlarge person on Sarm, because giant clerics are best clerics.

((basically, makes you large, gives you +2 str and -2 dex, increases your weapons damage dice(1d10 i think, could be wrong though...) and grants you a reach of 10 feet))

After Sarm slams his mace into the half-orc's face, he doesn't wait for a reaction, seemingly knowing that it would be returned instinctively, which he deflects the hand axe with a quick opposing swing with his mace. A sharp pain then stabs into his shoulder, but he responds with silence and a sharp gaze, quickly pointing himself over to the source of the thrown weapon to hold up his shield against the 2nd dagger.

He takes a moment to pull the dagger out of his shoulder, seeming to be unphased by the damage, "My strength does not come from me alone! It comes from my god..." And as he begins to grow larger in size, he then continues, "...And my allies!"

((I could attack the Half-orc, but I go last and it's possible that Ivor might kill him before I do. Is my reach good enough to attack Davos from where I am?))

After Sarm slams his mace into the half-orc's face, he doesn't wait for a reaction, seemingly knowing that it would be returned instinctively, which he deflects the hand axe with a quick opposing swing with his mace. A sharp pain then stabs into his shoulder, but he responds with silence and a sharp gaze, quickly pointing himself over to the source of the thrown weapon to hold up his shield against the 2nd dagger.

He takes a moment to pull the dagger out of his shoulder, seeming to be unphased by the damage, "My strength does not come from me alone! It comes from my god..." And as he begins to grow larger in size, he then continues, "...And my allies!"

((I could attack the Half-orc, but I go last and it's possible that Ivor might kill him before I do. Is my reach good enough to attack Davos from where I am?))

((With your increased size and reach, you can take a five foot step and get just barely within reach of Davos, yes. Leeta and Ugrok the orc-bard are out of reach, however; Leeta is still at the back of the room.))

Sarm will take a five foot step, and swings his mace horizontally to try and slam Davos and help the animal in its attack.

Code:
Attack roll: 1D20+5 => [ 13 ] +5 = 18
Damage roll: 1D10+3 => [ 7 ] +3 = 10

Sarm will take a five foot step, and swings his mace horizontally to try and slam Davos and help the animal in its attack.

Code:
Attack roll: 1D20+5 => [ 13 ] +5 = 18
Damage roll: 1D10+3 => [ 7 ] +3 = 10

((assuming you aren't rolling with weapon finesse(safe bet i imagine), you should be getting a +1 to your attack roll from the enlarge str bonus(and if you did have it, you'd be getting a -1 from the dex penalty)))

((I am pretty sure that the +2 to Str (which equates to a +1 on attack bonus) and the -1 attack penalty cancel out, so my overall bonus is still the same unless I want to use a ranged attack.))

((It's alright. I'm pretty sure the only reason I know how the spell works is because in a weekly Maptools Pathfinder game I'm in, our Paladin gets Enlarge Person used on him a lot.))

((Just FYI, the +1 strength bonus is cancelled out by the -1 to-hit penalty for attacking something that's a size category smaller than you. The primary benefits to Enlarge Person are extra reach and extra damage (both from the bigger weapon and from the strength bonus), but it doesn't help you hit any easier))

jon bones

Bones whistles to call off Daisy, having her retreat behind him. He looses another arrow at Davos.

init: 1d20: 20+5= 25
to hit: 1d20: 10+8= 18
arrow damage: 1d6= 2

((I am miserable at rolling 6 sided die))

((I'll go ahead and take Ivor's turn since it's been more than a day and it's pretty obvious what he would have done, especially now that Sarm is big enough to block his line of sight to any of the other targets. Ivor will shoot both crossbows at the Half Orc. First attack is d20 + 4 = 21 to hit; hits. Second attack is d20 + 4 = 8 to hit; misses. Damage is d6 = 3 damage to Kempok.))

Though the kidnappers were taken by surprise, they're a disciplined lot, and quickly fall into a well-practiced formation. Ugrok, blinded by Glitterdust, wastes no time in retrieving the bongo drums and beating a rhythm on them. He sings a quick verse of an Orcish battle hymn as he plays:

Orcish
Here our enemies stand before us
We pity them, for they are not long for this world
We will take no mercy on them
We will flay the flesh from their bones!

Emboldened by the song, which seems to have some supernatural, if not magical, properties, the rest of the crew springs into action. Davos growls through the pain of the arrow lodged in his chest, and pulls out his longsword with his free hand; a faint glow seems to be emanating from the blade. He thrusts it downward at Daisy the Riding Dog, and connects, plunging the blade partially into her torso. She whimpers in pain, but continues to hold her grip on Davos's left arm until she hears her master's whistle signal her retreat; she hobbles away to take cover.

Leeta, the human female, somersaults out of reach of the blinding magical powder, and her eyes scan for the nearest target, finding Sarm. Her first throwing dagger strikes true, injuring Sarm's shoulder, but the second is blocked by his shield. Kempok attempts to strike back at Sarm after being blindsided by the cleric's mace earlier, but the half-orc's handaxe comes nowhere near connecting.

Quintus, having crippled part of the opposing party, sets to work on fortifying his allies' position, and utters a few arcane syllables; Sarm immediately grows to twice his normal height and weight, his head now mere inches from the ceiling of the cave. Identifying Davos as the biggest threat in the room, he steps directly over Kempok and brings his mace straight down upon Davos's head. The red-haired man buckles, forced down to his knees, but he does not fall until Bones's second arrow connects and finishes what the first had started, nicking his carotid artery and sending him crashing helplessly to the ground in a messy fountain of blood.

Ivor, his view of the battlefield mostly blocked by the now-enormous Sarm, does the only logical thing: He fires his double hand crossbows at the half-orc standing a stone's throw away from him. One bolt connects, but only partially pierces the half-orc's armor; the other is deflected by Kempok's axe.

((Round 1 is complete. Here are the actions that the remaining bad guys are taking on Round 2.

Ugrok stumbles toward Sarm, and pulls out a short sword, attempting a blind attack. d20 + 5 = 24 to hit; roll to confirm critical, d20 + 5 = 11; fail to confirm. Roll percentile to account for 50% miss chance from Blindness (1-50 = miss; 51-100 = hit): 27. Attack misses.

Sarm, you were able to take an opportunity attack as Ugrok made his way toward you, so I'll go ahead and roll that for you to save time: d20 + 5 = 7 to hit, which will actually hit, since Blindness gives him some steep AC penalties. d10 + 3 = 6 damage to Ugrok.

Leeta moves around Sarm to get into flanking position and pulls out her own short sword, attempting to stab Sarm in the knee. d20 + 7 (including flanking) = 10, which will not hit.

Kempok is not happy about getting pegged by a crossbow bolt, and moves forward to swing at Ivor. d20 + 7 = 23 to hit, which will hit. d8 + 4 = 11 damage to Ivor.

At this point, all three remaining bad guys are pretty much surrounding Sarm, although the half-orc is focused on Ivor. All three are within range of everyone.

Now it's your turn. Round 2, FIGHT!))

Quintus pulls out his crossbow and a bolt, then shouts at the half-orc attacking Ivor "Flare!" casting the spell... Flare.

((DC 14, cause the target to become dazzled for one minute, giving -1 on attack and perception rolls.))

Sarm takes a very hasty swing at the oncoming attacker, having to take a second to realize that he had hit his foe, and never having realized he was attacked by it.

He quickly notices the human from the far side of the room rushing up with a sword in hand, but he is simply able to step his leg back to avoid the attack. Knowing that the full orc is in a magically drunkened state, he decides that the woman makes for a more honorable challenger, thus more of a threat to him and the others. He throws a downward swing at her.

Code:
To hit: 1D20+5 => [ 12 ] +5 = 17
Damage roll: 1D10+3 => [ 4 ] +3 = 7

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Well I don't have a clue what to do here, because Ivor's at melee range and will probably die now. Also, I intended to use the daggers in melee combat rather than throw them. Should have mentioned that before, sorry. Guess I'll just shoot the half orc and accept any range penalty I've missed.))

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  6 + 4 modifier = 10
Crossbow 1: 6 + 6 - 2 modifier = 10 to hit, 3 dmg
Crossbow 2: 11 + 6 - 2 modifier = 15 to hit, 4 dmg

((Time to roll up a new character.))

((I'll go ahead and take Ivor's turn since it's been more than a day and it's pretty obvious what he would have done, especially now that Sarm is big enough to block his line of sight to any of the other targets. Ivor will shoot both crossbows at the Half Orc. First attack is d20 + 4 = 21 to hit; hits. Second attack is d20 + 4 = 8 to hit; misses. Damage is d6 = 3 damage to Kempok.))

((Apologies again, it's been hectic.))

((It's been over 24 hours and Bones's move is probably pretty obvious here, so I'll say that he attacks the half-orc. d20 + 8 = 27 to hit; hits. d6 = 5 damage.))

Even with their leader dead, this group of brigands appears to be quite disciplined, and are not deterred in their scramble to fight off their attackers. Ugrok the Orc-Bard blindly stumbles forward, and receives a mace to the head for his troubles; this throws off his concentration enough to swing wildly, missing Sarm by a good country mile.

Leeta tries taking advantage of Sarm's diverted attentions by producing a short sword, and tries to stab him in the knee to bring the giant down, but by pure chance, Sarm moves his leg at exactly the right movement to avoid the blow.

Kempok is finally regaining his bearings after the blow to his head earlier, and advances forward on Ivor, noting that his friends have the cleric handled. He lets out a battle cry as he heaves his handaxe across; Ivor scrambles to get out of the way, but the tip of the blade slashes across his chest and creates a wound.

Caught off-guard by the encroaching foe, Ivor is sent into a panic and hastily fires off both of his hand crossbows. The first veers off course, but the second connects, burying itself in the half-orc's chest.

Noting Ivor's panic, his friends scramble to assist. A flash of light flickers in front of Kempok's face to distract him, courtesy of Quintus's magic, while Bones sends an arrow. The arrow plunges straight into Kempok's face, and Bones scores his second kill-shot of the day.

Meanwhile, Sarm has his hands full, caught between two hostiles. He swings his mace at the female attacker, slamming into her rib cage; despite her best efforts, a brief yell of pain escapes her lips.

((End Round 2. Here are the enemies' actions during Round Three:

Ugrok attacks Sarm with his short sword. d20 + 5 = 8, miss.

Leeta attacks Sarm with her short sword. d20 + 5 = 20, hit. Sarm takes d6 + 3 = 4 damage.

You're all up next. You can all get into position to attack either remaining target at range, but Sarm is the only one who can get in melee range this turn (since he's already there); the cover-granting rocks are in the way of everyone else, and getting all the way around isn't possible this turn.))

Quintus loads his light crossbow and fires at the nearest enemy, who I am pretty sure is Leeta... as long as she is not on the opposite side of Sarm.

Code:
Attack: 1D20+4-4 => [ 9 ] +4-4 = 9
Damage: 1D8 => [ 7 ] = 7
((Pretty sure that is a miss but added damage just in case.))

jon bones

Bones stands between the action and a whimpering Daisy. "You big baby..." Bones mutters as he notches another arrow and lets one fly towards the human female.

to hit: 1d20: 17+8+1= 26
arrow damage: 1d6+1= 5

((I've been forgetting to add my Point Blank bonus. I still can't figure out Rapid Shot, if someone can help me with the rules. They are:))

(((You can get one extra attack per round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in that round (the extra one and the normal ones) takes a -2 penalty. You must use the full attack action to use this feat.)))

Mike M

Nick N
((Vouyering the action here at the moment, but question: An attack is a d20 roll + attack modifier, and of it exceeds the AC of the target, it's a hit, followed by damage roll, correct? Were the opponents' AC ratings listed earlier and I overlooked them, because I'm watching this wondering how anyone knows they scored a hit unless they top 20...))

((Bones, all it means is that if you don't move and only attack on your turn, you can make 2 attacks, each at -2. So instead of rolling one die and adding 9 to it, you'd be rolling two dice and adding 7 to each roll.

Mike M, you're mostly right; you hit if you match or exceed the target's AC. If you'll notice though, none of the PC's actually know if they're hitting until I do my writeup and describe what happened. It's a pretty safe bet, though, that anything under 10 will miss, and at this level anything over 20 will hit.

Quintus, where did that -4 to your attack come from? A 13 would still miss, but on first glance I can't tell why you included that penalty))

jon bones

((Bones, all it means is that if you don't move and only attack on your turn, you can make 2 attacks, each at -2. So instead of rolling one die and adding 9 to it, you'd be rolling two dice and adding 7 to each roll.

((I see - with such a high bonus, I should be doing this all the time I think.... except for this turn because I needed to use part of my turn to move into postition. Thanks for your help.))

Sarm continues to engage the female warrior in combat, unable to cast spells in his cornered position.

Code:
To hit: 1D20+5 => [ 11 ] +5 = 16
Damage: 1D10+3 => [ 6 ] +3 = 9

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Grimacing through the pain of the attack, Ivor quickly gets a handle on which enemies remain alive. With Sarm surrounded and Quintus mounting an attack on the female hostile, he decides to back him up and concentrate his attacks on her.

Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  10 + 4 modifier = 14
To Hit: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  18 14
Dmg: Rolling a 4-sided dice, 2 time(s):  2 3

Crossbow 1: 18 + 6 - 4 modifiers = 20 to hit, 2 dmg
Crossbow 2: 14 + 6 - 4 modifiers = 16 to hit, 3 dmg

With the half orc no longer a pressing concern, Ivor is able to deliver a more accurate pair of shots.

Though Leeta puts up a valiant effort, managing to actually snatch Quintus's crossbow bolt out of the air midflight, she is unable to withstand the barrage of attacks from all sides and is finally laid out by a mace to the side of the head.

((Since Ugrok is still blind and outnumbered 5 to 1, I'm going to say combat is over, and you guys can either restrain him or finish him off narratively and without rolling))

As the battle winds to a close and adrenaline levels subside, the group is able to take a closer look around the room.

In the back left corner of the cave is a mysterious door made of a strange, durable metal. The door has curious symbols on it, and it's obvious to everyone that there's something magical about it.

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC 15 (Ivor gets +2 to this check due to his dwarven heritage)
The door is pure adamantium, and is essentially indestructible

Knowledge Religion DC 13
The drawings and symbols are all associated with Vecna, a Neutral Evil god of death and deception. Vecna is all about secrets, and lives to hoard information and use it to his own ends. If you're from this plane of existence, you've always assumed that Vecna - and every god - is just a fairy tale with no basis in reality.

Most of the equipment you find in the cave is mundane and redundant with what you already have, and would have no resale value, but there are some exceptions:

-Davos's sword seems to shimmer with a very mild ethereal light. Arcana DC 16
It's a Longsword +1
-Davos is also wearing a Cloak of Resistance +1.
-Among the armaments on the weapon rack, you find a Masterwork Composite Shortbow. Composite short bows are just like regular ones, except you add your Strength modifier to the damage. Masterwork gives you an additional +1 to hit.

Heal check DC 15
All three of your fallen foes are still alive, but are not stable and will die if left alone. You are not under any real obligation to save them, but if you want to, you can stabilize them with another DC 15 Heal check (meaning they don't wake up yet, but will eventually get better on their own), or just outright heal them with magic or potions

As you're surveying the room, a timid female voice calls out from behind the wooden door. "Hello...?"

Sarm soon takes off his backpack, and pulls out a pair of Manacles, following up with apprehending the drunkened orc and disabling them. He pushes the orc into a stumble.

Code:
Knowledge (Religion): 1D20+10 => [ 14 ] +10 = 24
Heal: 1D20+7 => [ 15 ] +7 = 22

Sarm glances at the drawings and symbols, and soon scoffs at them, almost spitting, "Vecna..." He turns to his companions, "His greatest deception is that many believe he is a fable, but as we have just seen, his followers are very real."

He then kneels down at the fallen foes, "They are dying, but they still have a glimmer of hope. I fight to triumph, not to kill. I personally wish to slow their bleeding, even if it is a risk to us."

((I want to make sure that it's okay with everyone that I stabalize them before I proceed to roll heal checks))

Code:
Heal: 1D20+1 => [ 20 ] +1 = 21
Arcana: 1D20+13 => [ 8 ] +13 = 21
Knowledge Religion: 1D20+5 => [ 16 ] +5 = 21
Knowledge Dungeoneering: 1D20+5 => [ 7 ] +5 = 12

Quintus takes a look at the sword and cloak "Excellent, this guys has a few magical items, should be worth a nice sack of gold... What? You want to help them? Well if you insist, just be warned they probably won't be looking to thank you later and they may very well come after us for revenge or some nonsense."

((The -4 was for firing into combat btw. Also, I'm kinda confused about the religion thing
I assume our cleric, and most others(plus paladins), get their magic directly from the gods, seems weird for the average person in such a world to believe they are fairy tales. Am I just misreading or something here?
))

Mike M

Nick N
((The -4 was for firing into combat btw. Also, I'm kinda confused about the religion thing
I assume our cleric, and most others(plus paladins), get their magic directly from the gods, seems weird for the average person in such a world to believe they are fairy tales. Am I just misreading or something here?
))

((
From my understanding, it's like the difference between mainstream religion and a cult that no one takes seriously. There are the "big" gods that clearly and directly intervene, and others that don't do much and as such people think they don't exist.
))

((It's my fault for neglecting to mention this part of the setting. Here, most people don't believe in most gods, and clerics/paladins are few and far between. The masses assume that divine magic has a similar power source to arcane magic, because for the most part, the gods don't seem to hold any influence in this world. Despite that, certain areas are still devoted to particular gods, but people not from those areas don't really understand why))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"I would join you in mending these wounds if we didn't have some of our own to consider," Ivor says as he catches his breath from the exertion. "Bones... Your companion is badly hurt. I would wish to ensure its survival first unless you have some kind of power I am not aware of." Trying his best to hide his chest wound, the rogue hears the quiet voice as he removes a healing kit from his pack and collects his daggers without worsening their foes' wounds. Glancing to the wooden door he says "I should try not to let these slip out of my hands next time."

Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  13 15
Heal: 13 + 4 modifier = 17 ((primary target is Daisy unless Bones declines, then the fallen foes))
Dungeoneering: 15 + 2 (int) + 2 (dwarf) modifier = 17

Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  20
Religion: 20 + 2 (int) modifier = [URL="http://i.imgur.com/yx2SX.png"]22 (critz)[/URL]

"It's coming from behind this door. The other is Adamantium, almost impenetrable. And these runes, I've seen these before. It can't be, no no no... I've encountered these followers before, I am certain Sarm!" He calls to the voice behind the wooden door. "Clementine? Is that you?"

((Want to heal Daisy and the fallen ASAP, then figure a way to get the prisoner out. Do I deduce anything special from a critical religion check? I was hinting a little at Ivor being familiar with what he has seen, along with Sarm. Perhaps a link to backstory?))

To clarify, the voice came from behind the wooden door, which has a simple lock that will be easy to pick (so no need to roll for it). The adamantium one has no sound coming from it, and now that you're checking it, it doesn't seem to want to move even a millimeter.

Ivor, you've heard whispers of some kind of cult that allegedly worships Vecna, the God of Secrets, and supposedly they're pretty dangerous. Perhaps a friend of a friend of a friend fell afoul of them, and word got back to you about it. You've never come across them though; they've been pretty good at staying hidden until now.

Edit coming later with a reply from Clementine.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
To clarify, the voice came from behind the wooden door, which has a simple lock that will be easy to pick (so no need to roll for it). The adamantium one has no sound coming from it, and now that you're checking it, it doesn't seem to want to move even a millimeter.

Ivor, you've heard whispers of some kind of cult that allegedly worships Vecna, the God of Secrets, and supposedly they're pretty dangerous. Perhaps a friend of a friend of a friend fell afoul of them, and word got back to you about it. You've never come across them though; they've been pretty good at staying hidden until now.

Edit coming later with a reply from Clementine.

((Yeah I misread. :p Edited to clarify!))

Sarm is taken aback by the error in his priorities, "...Yes, you are correct. Forgive my negligence. I will aid you." He turns away from the fallen foes and moves over to the animal to help with its wounds.

Code:
Heal (on Daisy): 1D20+7 => [ 7 ] +7 = 14

((Since Ivor succeeded on his 2nd roll, I'll go ahead and use my 2nd turn to start on the fallen, also hopefully the way I do heal here is okay, since every around they bleed 1 HP))

Code:
1st round, Heal (on Leeta): 1D20+7 => [ 6 ] +7 = 13
2nd round, Heal (on Leeta): 1D20+7 => [ 18 ] +7 = 25
3rd round, Heal (on Davos): 1D20+7 => [ 10 ] +7 = 17
4th round, Heal (on Kempok): 1D20+7 => [ 14 ] +7 = 21

Sarm wipes his forehead, "Hopefully this will allow them to reconsider themselves. That is the most I will tend to their injuries, it is time to rejuvenate ourselves."

((Can everybody list how badly they got hurt? I know for sure that Daisy is the one that got hurt the most so I will heal her first))

Code:
Cure Moderate Wounds (on Daisy): 2D8+3 => [ 1 +3 ] +3 = 7
Cure Moderate Wounds (on Daisy): 2D8+3 => [ 8 +3 ] +3 = 14

As Sarm does his work, he says to Ivor, "It is a bad omen, indeed, and hopefully by leaving these men alive we will learn more about their involvement. However; your relationship with the girl is not my business, I will leave you to that." He is somewhat assuming that Ivor knows Clemantine more than he actually might, like most would, but doesn't attempt to press on about it.

"Oh right, you all ran in and got yourselves beat up... I have a few potions of curing if any of you are still in need."

Quintus then takes the Long Sword+1 and Cloak of Res+1(assuming no one else actually wants them... though I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want the cloak unless they have one already) and heads over to the wooden door and waits for someone else to unlock it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ivor shakes his head to Sarm. "I am afraid I am not familiar with her, it's our last encounter with these ruffians and their captive that makes me think it is her inside. As an alchemist I have served many in Alydar but the nobility purchase only through servants or proxies."

He sighs. "I would appreciate a potion, Quintus."

jon bones

"That cloak is similar to my own - and I've no use for swords." Bones says as he turns to Sarm. "And thank you for healing the little one."

Bones then turns his attention to the wooden door and picks it.

((Sarm, remember that you haven't cast any spells yet today, and you can at any time sacrifice a prepared spell for a Cure spell of equivalent level. Also, in my games I play that heal spells are maximized outside of combat, so you don't even have to roll for them and just take an 8 on the die))

Bones picks the lock on the door, and the girl you encountered on the trail throws herself into Bones's surprised arms. She is no longer wearing a cloak, and so you can see her milky white skin and long, curly, strawberry blind hair clearly. She is wearing the garb of a noble girl, and she is pretty.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you all so much for rescuing me! I am indeed Clementine, daughter of Mayor Gerard. I'm so sorry I misled you when last we met; I was frightened and not in my right mind. Now please, kind sirs, would you be kind enough to escort me home?"

The light outside is fading rapidly as twilight descends on the countryside. It will take you at least 2 hours to get back to town.

Through the wooden door is a surprisingly well furnished bedroom, with a comfortable bed, a dresser, and a chamber pot.

Since his capture, Ugrok has been completely silent, and though he has remained alert, he has not moved a muscle.

Quintus is slightly suspicious of Clemetime, so he makes a sense motive check.
Code:
Sense motive: 1D20+1 => [ 20 ] +1 = 21
So many 21s today...

Whatever he learns, he keeps it himself for now and goes to check out that fancy door, casting detect magic to see if it is trapped or anything like that.

Code:
Arcana:1D20+13 => [ 6 ] +13 = 19
((Just throwing that up there in case it is needed.))

((Sarm, remember that you haven't cast any spells yet today, and you can at any time sacrifice a prepared spell for a Cure spell of equivalent level. Also, in my games I play that heal spells are maximized outside of combat, so you don't even have to roll for them and just take an 8 on the die))
((Oh, okay. I will remove one of the healing spell casts and just assume that the first one healed for 19 HP. And yeah, I was sacrificing some of my Hold Person spells to cast Cure Moderate Wounds.))

Sarm soon touches his own shoulder to heal his own wound, "If any others still need to be healed, speak now."

Sarm soon glances over to the door being opened and the girl embracing herself to the untimely savior.

Code:
((Oh right, sense motive.  I keep forgetting about that.))

Sense Motive: 1D20+6 => [ 6 ] +6 = 12 ((Doesn't matter, I guess she's too hot for him to handle or something))

He considers what she had told them. Although it is a strange explanation, it is true that fear can drive the insecure to do irrational things. He looks over to Ivor and Quintis, and says to them, "We need to consider what to do with the kidnappers. I assume the mayor will want to see to them personally."

For Quintus, and if anyone wants to make a DC 28 Sense Motive check (Quintus gets it because he rolled a natural 20, which rarely fails anything within reason, regardless of DC)
She is definitely hiding something; though she might not be lying, she is deliberately omitting some information from her story, and she's also very good at misdirecting people so that they don't realize what she's doing.

The door is absolutely magical, and the aura is very powerful. It doesn't seem to be trapped, but you're certain that there's no way you'll be able to open it with your current capabilities.

Top Bottom