• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Perception - Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  20 (!!) + 7 modifier = 27

http://i.imgur.com/OsBy6.jpg

"I see them," says Ivor with a small nod towards the back room. "This is a home, not a hoard of stolen goods. Can we try to speak to a leadership figure? Perhaps about any other clans or tribes in the area that they are aware of? If they ask about me seeing into the back room, tell them that I share their sight in the dark."

Looks around as best he can in this dark room "Yes, if they are ransacking caravans, they must be doing it for fun... or hiding it very well." and then in draconic "Do you have a leader, a chieftain or something we could talk to so we can clear up a few things, like if there is any other kobolds tribes around. Also, if we could take a look at the back room, that would be great."

Sarm casts 'Light', illuminating his Mace to bring light into the cavern to act in place of a lantern. He keeps a firm hand on the kobold's shoulder, the grip being all that he needs to keep the kobold in check.

As it grows more apparent that they are in a private home, he speaks in a hesitant tone "It may be just as I feared.. It is starting to seem that we have made a great mistake."

The Kobold in the back replies to Quintus, "You not come back here! Look at this room all you want," and he gestures around the living area in which you're standing, "but we protect cubs!"

As the possibility that you've made a mistake dawns on you, in hindsight some things begin to occur to you. Number one, you don't know who hired your company to take on this mission. That in itself isn't unusual, as Klaus is typically the one who handles client relations.

Number two, no actual evidence of any attacks was produced, nor was it present at the location you were told to use as a starting point for tracking. This didn't set off any warning bells initially either, because you've never been led afoul before.

However, both of those facts together, combined with the apparent harmlessness of these kobolds, is making you wonder what exactly is going on.

((I'm going to wait a bit for Bones to jump in before I progress the narrative any further. The rest of you feel free to discuss what to do next of course))

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Bones, who has been noticeably distant for some time, chimes in.

"I made an error of judgement out there, attacking that Kobold without provocation. Quintus, please give the family my sincerest apologies, and 100 of my gold. Tell them we will get to the bottom of this, and find who was responsible for this apparent set-up."

"We must return to Klaus to find out where these orders came from," he adds brusquely, "immediately." He sighs sadly, takes one last look at the children he nearly orphaned, and leaves the den.

The Kobold that was being held prisoner by Sarm warily accepts Bones's offer of reparations, and when Sarm lets him go ((I'm assuming)), he scurries to join his fellow kobolds, further back in the room. As the party turns to exit the hut, the kobolds become visibly relieved, but they do not leave their positions in front of the back door.

Outside, the corpse of the unfortunate slain kobold lingers, a reminder of what has just transpired here.

((Nice work on this encounter, guys - I had outcomes prepared for everything from making friends with the kobolds to slaughtering their entire family; you guys came out pretty well, all things considered. Rather than dealing with the hassle of experience points, I think I'm just going to tell you when you'll gain a level, and based on the outcome here, you'll be gaining a level sooner than I originally thought you would. Good show all around.))

The party returns to the horse-drawn cart that had been parked just off the main road. After taking a few short minutes to prepare for the three-hour ride back to town, the four companions are well on their way.

The roads aren't terribly busy on this particular day; every few minutes, perhaps, a lone traveler or a pair might pass in the other direction, but for the most part you have the trail to yourself.

Approximately two hours into the journey, as you near the crest of a hill, voices can be heard from the other side of that hill. They sound like they're arguing, but it's difficult to make out the words at this distance.

Perception check, DC 23
"You're not listening to me, jackass! I just needed a little more time to -" says a female voice, and then a gruff male voice interrupts, "Save your excuses, wench. I follow orders; nothing more, nothing less. When we -"

By now, the voices have come over the crest of the hill. They're traveling in the opposite direction of you. As soon as they notice you, they both stop talking.

They don't stop moving, however, and your parties will soon pass each other on the road. Theirs is made up of four humans and two half-orcs. Three of the humans are male, and are well-equipped, wearing leather armor and with longswords sheathed at their hips. The half-orcs have one-handed battle axes strapped to their backs. The last human is wearing an emerald-green cloak with a hood, but you can tell that it's the female.

Perception check, DC 17 and Knowledge Local check, DC 13. You must pass both checks in order to see this.
The female looks uncannily similar to the daughter of Alydar's mayor; you think her name is Clementine.

Back at the hut, the cleric had lowered his head, visibly shamed and regretful. He starts to speculate in his mind, if this was what is meant to happen to show him the greater truths that he will be facing, that his god had sent him out to witness.

The voices on the way back begin to distract him. He glances over at the other wagon in his distraction, taking in the appearance of the group who he quickly considers to be other adventurers. He gives a nod, but says nothing to impose any unwanted hospitality.

Quintus really hopes they are still gonna get paid for this...

Code:
Perception 1:1D20+3 => [ 20 ] +3 = 23
Perception 2: 1D20+3 => [ 18 ] +3 = 21
Knowledge Local: 1D20+10 => [ 14 ] +10 = 24
...All the checks.

As the pass, Quintus hears the two chatting, but doesn't really worry about it until he gets a good look at the women, "Well, if it isn't Clementine, daughter of our good mayor. Wonder what she is doing all the way out here with this lot... and he's calling her a wench?" he then shouts to the passing group "Didn't your mother ever tell you how to treat a lady you barbarian!? Much less the mayor's own daughter!"

jon bones

"Steady Quintus," Bones murmurs as he rides atop his beast, "these men are well armed and ill tempered. A bad combination to be sure. I'm not sure who that woman is, but if she is truly the mayor's daughter we should tread lightly all the more."

Daisy perks her ears up as she pads along. She narrows her eyes and begins to lick her lips. "Same goes to you, little one."

PC1: 15 + 9 = 24
-> pass
PC2: 13 + 9 = 22
KC: 4 + 3 = 7
-> fail

The other party stops, and all eyes turn to Quintus. The woman speaks, after an uneasy beat of silence. "Good sir, I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else. My name is Cl... uh... Cleo," she stutters awkwardly, "And this is my brother, Davos. What you overheard was an argument over family matters, and I would suggest you keep to your own affairs.

It's apparent from her mannerisms that the woman is hiding something. ((I rolled a 1 on the Bluff check here, so no need for a sense motive check from you guys))

"Aye," one of the human men chimes in, "And if I was you, fancy-man, I'd watch what I say. See, I don't take too kindly to insults. Lucky for you, the lady's here to hold me back; try your fortunes again and I might not be so generous."

Although Sarm can easily tell that the opposite gathering are suspicious, he doesn't find himself in a position where he can question them, and is unsure of whether their unknown intentions are relevant to them.

"Let our anger stay a simmer." He directs to his companions, "Counsel is difficult to give to those that wish not to have it. The young do not always pick their friends wisely."

The swordsman grins menacingly toward Quintus. "Best listen to that dark-skinned friend of yours. I suggest you start movin' yourselves on, before I do somethin' that YOU'LL regret." He cracks his knuckles and not-so-subtly pats the hilt of his weapon, though he does not rest his hand on it. His companions stay still; the girl has looked away, now hidden by the hood of her cloak.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 3 time(s):  9 6 11
Perception: 9 + 7 modifier = 16 (fail)
Perception: 6 + 7 modifier = 13 (fail)
Knowledge (local): 11 + 8 = 19 (pass)

((Ivor is not a communicator, so I will have him remain quiet for now. To be honest I have no ideas for what to do here. Can we tell if Clementine is in distress? I assume Ivor cannot as he failed the check.))

Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 3 time(s):  9 6 11
Perception: 9 + 7 modifier = 16 (fail)
Perception: 6 + 7 modifier = 13 (fail)
Knowledge (local): 11 + 8 = 19 (pass)

((Ivor is not a communicator, so I will have him remain quiet for now. To be honest I have no ideas for what to do here. Can we tell if Clementine is in distress? I assume Ivor cannot as he failed the check.))

((All you can really tell is that she's not being completely honest with you. You will have to decide what to do about that, if you decide to do anything about it at all. Remaining silent here is a valid course of action, if that's what your character would do in this situation))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Alright, he's going to get tough.))

Ivor sighs, struggling to think of something to do. He may not be a diplomat but something should be done, and what?

"Look. Madam... Cleo, was it?" The rogue attempts to play along with the woman's attempts to hide her identity. "You've picked a bad time to travel. Some manner of brigand is stalking those who follow the road. Not one day has gone by without a caravan or carriage taken down, its contents with it. We were forced to turn around ourselves." Adopting a tone of mock concern, he says: "The rangers of Alydar really ought to do something about that. Don't you think so, my friends?"

"Not even your party might be enough to protect you, Cleo."

"Oh, and sorry Sarm..." he whispers.

Ivor's curiosity has gotten the better of him. Is this really Clementine, daughter of the Mayor, as Quintus said? There's only one way to find out.Perhaps scaring the woman into stopping or baiting the surly entourage will reveal the truth.

The woman turns to look at Ivor. She appears unfazed by the attempted bluff, and indeed, almost appears annoyed. "I thank you for your concern, Sir; however, as you can see, I am well-protected from any brigands who should make the mistake of accosting me." She gestures at the rest of her party. "Now, if you don't mind, we shall take our leave now."

'Cleo' moves to continue on the trail, but the swordsman who has just spoken to Quintus does not budge. He is clearly waiting for some reaction from Quintus, whether that be backing down, or escalating things further.

"Ha! Cleo? And this thug... is your brother? Surely you jest Miss Clementine!" Quintus then turns to the swordsman looking at him, "And you should learn a thing or two about manners sir, especially with your current company. In fact, here's your first lesson for free! Your silly threats make you sound like a school yard bully... I don't need to explain what a school is to you, right?"

((I preemptively apologize for any TPK I may have started with this...))

The man's grin melts into a scowl, and as his companions look on, seconds pass as he struggles to find his words. "You're damned lucky you're unarmed, boy," he growls, spitting in Quintus's general direction as he says "boy" (none of the spit actually reaches Quintus), "Because if I thought for a second you had the means to defend yourself, I'd teach YOU a thing or two about manners. As it stands, I don't attack helpless targets. It's not sporting." He starts to turn, then adds, "At least... not unless they attack me first."

With that, he turns away, and the band of swordsmen and half-orcs begins moving on, though Davos continues to glance back and give Quintus a mocking glare as long as they're within sight.

((Quintus has another opportunity to interact with the opposing party as they're walking away if he wishes; if not, we'll continue on))

Sarm simply shakes his head at the display of verbal attacks, and waits until after they are away from the other party to speak, "It pains me to become an enemy not of my own doing. I hope for both their sake and ours we do not cross paths with them again."

"Attack you, unprovoked? Of course not. But unarmed? Hardly, I'll have you know I was trained in the ways of magic at one of the best schools in the land. I don't need a weapon to fight." Quintus even shows his pride in his magical abilities with his body language... possibly even posing a little.

As Quintus boasts of his magical talents, perhaps using a little prestidigitation to create some fireworks from the palm of his hand, Davos sneers, unimpressed, and declines to respond.

From here, the journey to Alydar is a short one; ten more minutes south, and the city walls are in sight.

The land surrounding the city proper is mostly farmland, irrigated from the Great River, that which flows north to south and divides the continent in two. Alydar is situated just a few miles east of the river, and the relatively new gold mines are to the south. In the distance, farmers can be seen working the land.

As the party approaches the city gates, you notice something is wrong. The gates to the city are wide open, and there are no guards on watch outside the city; both of those circumstances are highly unusual. As you get closer, you see dead bodies strewn about the road immediately outside the gates. Some are dressed in the gray-and-gold uniforms of the City Watch; the others are mostly orcs, and some humans, all wearing green battle uniforms.

Inside the city, you find chaos. There are battles still raging, and by now most of the surviving attackers are orcs, being held at bay by groups of city guards.

As you take stock of the situation, a familiar voice speaks up. "You're all back! Thank the gods you've returned when you did. The mayor's daughter's been kidnapped!"

That voice belongs to Klaus. A spry half-elf who looks to be in his 40's (though it's hard to tell, considering his Elven heritage), he sports a thick, curly, dark-gray goatee to match his wild hair. He wields a rapier, dressed in a leather vest and black leather boots, and appears only slightly out of breath.

Before any of you have an opportunity to tell of your encounter on the road, he continues. "Listen to me. We've been duped. Somebody paid to send all my rangers on bogus missions in order to get them out of the city. You're the first group who's returned, and you're the only ones capable of going after kidnappers; these city slickers wouldn't be able to track an elephant through a mud-patch. We've got things under control here - hurry!"

((And here's where we move into our first Skill Challenge. Here's how it works:

Your objective as a group is to track down Clementine's kidnappers and catch up with them, in order to rescue her. To accomplish this mission, you're going to make a series of Skill Checks. You may use any of your skills, as long as you can come up with a legitimate way to progress toward your goal with that skill.

For this particular skill challenge, anything you might need in order to do a certain skill will be available to you - for example, if you need a tree to climb, you'll be able to find one; if you need someone to Intimidate or Diplomacize, there will be random passersby on the road; etc.

All four of you can go ahead and pick a skill to use and describe how you're using it, and roll. For this particular skill challenge, the DC is 18. You can't use the same skill as someone else that round, and you can't use the same skill twice in a row. This is basically like telling one sentence of a story, and then the next person continuing the story, and so on.

If you get a total of 7 Successes before you get 4 Failures, you win the skill challenge, and you'll get a bonus at the next encounter. We'll go round by round, with each of you making a check each round. I'll summarize how things turned out at the end of the round, and then if it's still going, the next round will start.

Good luck, and remember that this exercise is all about telling a story. If your explanation is particularly good, but your roll is close to the margins, I'm liable to go ahead and "round up" to a Success, so have fun with it. Sorry this explanation is so long winded. If you have questions, feel free to ask.))

"I knew something was off about that... Though they way she was acting very strange, could she have been apart of this? We'll figure that out once we find her though. Fortunately I know the area pretty well, so I think I may be able to surmise what areas they are most likely headed to given what we last saw of them." Quintus THINKS THINKS THINKS.

Code:
Knowledge Local: 1D20+10 => [ 2 ] +10 = 12
((I was so sure I had this shit in the bag...))

jon bones

Bones jumps off from Daisy and strains his eyes towards the way they just came. Admist the chaos, he notices a set of tracks that may belong to the mayor's daughter. "They left tracks. We may be able to follow their trail..."

Survival Skill Check: 1d20 (18) + (7) > 18

"Follow me. We must hurry if we hope to catch up with them."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Joining the party in investigating the scene of battle, Ivor stops to carefully collect a discarded glass vial. Poison! Raising the vial to his nose and taking in the foul scent, Ivor scowls.

"Give me a moment. I can get an idea of the kind of foe we're up against by their use of poison. A particularly potent one means they are well trained or well funded. Or maybe..." He shakes his head to lose his thoughts of conspiracy from the mining accident.

Code:
Profession (alchemy): Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  12 + 7 modifier = 19 (pass)

"It's just as I thought..." he says as he takes in a breath of fresh air.

Witnessing the duress the village has fallen under, he feels himself drawing nearer to the larger scope of his quest, seeing what is quite possibly only one of the reasons Pelor has led him to this city. "I believe our discovering the innocence of the kobolds has guided us here where we must be."

Sarm quickly instructs Klaus, "Heed your men to remain vigilant. I wish to return quickly to tend to the injured. For now, I will aid my companions." He then takes a moment to ask, "Do you have a map? I hope to find a shorter route."

Code:
Knowledge (Geography): 1D20+4 => [ 2 ] +4 = 6

Regardless of if he has a map or not, he doesn't seem able to find a shorter route.

The party wastes no time springing to action. Quintus and Bones scout ahead to catch wind of the trail, while Sarm takes a moment to find a map of the surrounding area. Unfortunately, he is unable to ascertain anything useful, as the map isn't quite as detailed as he remembered it to be.

Ivor has more luck. He spots a curious purple liquid shimmering on a discarded blade, and a hasty analysis determines that it's a pain amplifying agent, made from the venom of a snake known to be common in a very specific ravine, located a ways north of town.

Meanwhile, Quintus and Bones arrive at the hill where they'd last encountered that other party. Quintus is convinced he knows where they're headed, having in the past come across an abandoned shack very near here, but it soon becomes apparent that this is a dead end, as the shack is indeed still abandoned.

Fortunately, Bones is able to get the duo back on track, successfully picking up on the trail, and not long after, Sarm and Ivor catch up to them, as Ivor notes that his analysis is consistent with their current heading.

((Current tally: 2 successes, 2 failures. 5 more successes are required to beat the challenge before 2 more failures. Begin Round 2))

Having failed with his last plan, Quintus decides to take a different approach he will borrow from Bones, using his own extensive book learning to try and track them further.

Code:
Knowledge: Nature 1D20+6 => [ 11 ] +6 = 17
(( :/ ))

((I don't know if you guys just haven't been able to make it to the thread or if you're scared to make a check because you don't want to fail the challenge, but if it's the latter, then you shouldn't worry too much. You're not all going to die, and the plot will still progress, if you end up failing. The bonus for success is a minor one, and you'll still be able to continue just fine without it. This is more an exercise to flex your creativity muscles than anything else))

((I was in town today, but I am trying to avoid oversaturating the game full of my roleplaying posts and let the others have a chance. I'll edit this post later with a skill roll to get things moving though.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Sorry guys, I'm struggling to think of an action to take in this situation. Before the party were at the town gates at a scene of battle, so could I have a description of this area we have returned to now? What is here will help me decide what skill to use.

Ideas I had were attempting to steal documents from an arrested attacker of the town and attempting to heal a wounded friend or foe. Can I say Ivor did these prior to rejoining the party?))

You are currently on the trail of the group who kidnapped Clementine. You've just split off from the main road and are now on a trail through a lightly-wooded area; there are a decent number of tall trees, but they're pretty spread out.

((Some ideas for all of you might include Perception to look for signs of... whatever you want; Stealth for the purpose of approaching quietly and evading people who might be waiting for you; Climb to ascend a tree and getting a better look; Search to look out for traps. Arcana could be used to try and use some magical effect to assist in tracking. Jump or Tumble could be used to clear a particular obstacle. Knowledge Local is also available again this round for everyone except Quintus. Bones could use Handle Animal or Ride to interact with Daisy, maybe to ride faster. Concentration could even be used to keep focused on the task at hand.

At this point, there aren't really any travelers around so social-based skills probably wouldn't be appropriate. Thievery also isn't really applicable for the same reason. Hope this helps!))

Quintus figures, when all else fails, use magic! So he stops a moment and prepares a couple incantations to get some magical assistance in finding Clementine and her captors.

Code:
Arcana: 1D20+13 => [ 7 ] +13 = 20
((still kind of a crappy roll, fortunately I have all the arcana skill))

Sarm takes the reigns of the horses while the others make plans and study amongst themselves with abilities he does not have. Sarm is familiar with operating a wagon from his own personal ventures, but has only traveled casually, making him less than ideal for speeding the horses up. He calls out to his companions behind him, not having to gotten to know them enough to know who is best at riding, "If any among us are trained in racing, do not hesitate to take the reigns. I will be on the lookout for a quicker path for now."

In spite of the tree density being so thin that it hardly constitutes an obstacle, Sarm looks out for any part of the terrain or even any potential alternative routes they could move through that would cut the distance they need to travel, and also to avoid obstacles that would slow them down even a little bit such as roots, bumps, holes, or rocks.

Code:
Perception: 1D20+5 => [ 19 ] +5 = 24

((Awesome.))

((EDIT: Did a little work on my character's art, and changed my avatar as a result. Hopefully it looks less weird.))

((Sure, I'll accept this, although we are going a little out of order. I'll go ahead and make a check for Bones to move things along:

Ride check: (6) +13 modifier(!!) = 19, Pass

Ivor, go ahead and make your check, and if you pass, I'll do a writeup to summarize the round and then we'll move to Round 3. If Ivor does not make his check, I'll still do a writeup, but the Skill Challenge will be completed and we'll move to the next part))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Okay then, let's roll.))

The mystery of the kidnapping and the Alydar gates still fresh in his mind, Ivor takes an alternate route by trekking alongside Sarm's path. Within the tree cover he is actively searching for abandoned objects or even hidden ambushers.

Code:
Search: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  16 + 8 modifier = 24 (pass)

When Ivor confirms that they're headed in the right direction, Bones mounts his trusty riding dog and accelerates ahead, as he is able to pay less attention to the act of tracking. Quintus tries his hand at following tracks, but is woefully ill-trained for it. However, he does have another idea: based on what he was able to learn from watching Bones point out the tracks, he's able to brew up a spell on the fly which will illuminate the tracks within a short radius of him.

Soon after doing so, he makes an important discovery: The tracks branch off onto a side trail, and begin to go in two separate directions. He points this out to Ivor and Sarm, who follow the alternate path.

Together, the two are able to keep up with the trail, even in the impending darkness of the setting sun, and it seems that the two sets of tracks are running parallel. Suddenly, Ivor spots a trap mechanism - one that looks to be a part of a trap on the other trail.

((Two successes are needed on this coming round. Since there's no way to know who will post first, I'll say that as long as two of you pass your skill check, you'll beat the challenge, regardless of the order you post in. Begin Round 3

Edit: Only one success is needed, my bad))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Sprining into action, Ivor signals Sarm to halt and rushes to inspect the trap mechanism. Though the safety of his companions is paramount, this confirms that the party is heading in the right direction. With careful inspection and a little wire cutting he gets to work.

Code:
Thievery: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  19 + 10 modifier (pass)

((I should be brave and use some unranked skills sometime.))

((After a rough start, Skill Challenge PASSED!))

As Bones rides ahead, he has no idea that he's headed for a trap. Luckily, Ivor has managed to find a shortcut, and actually ends up ahead of him; therefore he's able to identify part of an elaborate trap, designed to ensnare approaching hostiles and string them up on a tree branch. After easily snipping a few key pieces of rope, the trap is rendered harmless.

Not long after, the two trails converge, very near the ravine from which Ivor determined the poison was extracted. Here, the tracks left by the kidnappers are very fresh, which suggests that the party has been steadily catching up with their quarry.

Less than a quarter-mile away from where the party reunites, the mouth of a cave comes into view up ahead. The tracks clearly lead into it, but there doesn't seem to be anyone standing guard - at least, not yet.

A brief inspection of the area by Ivor yields no sign of any additional traps, and the coast appears to be clear.

The cave doesn't appear to stay above ground very far. Although it bulges out a good forty to fifty yards, beyond that it seems to sink down into the ground and become indistinguishable from the rest of the terrain. This is the only entrance for quite a while.

Sarm Santee smiles and gives a firm, single pat of Ivor's shoulder for disabling the trap.

After they make it up to the cave, he jumps off the wagon and says to the reunited companions, "It is welcoming to see you safe." He doesn't hesitate to get to business, "Let us keep our light dim in our approach, I am sure they know we are coming, but not when."

((I should be brave and use some unranked skills sometime.))
((I was gonna try untrained Ride, but that's no longer necessary.))

"How about our friend here goes in first for some reconnaissance?" Quintus says as he motions towards Ivor, "It would be best to know exactly what we are walking into."

((Ivor, if you want to go in to scout first, go ahead and roll me Stealth and Perception. You'll get some hefty bonuses here because you guys won the skill challenge, but I'll factor those in myself))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"How about our friend here goes in first for some reconnaissance?" Quintus says as he motions towards Ivor, "It would be best to know exactly what we are walking into."
"Me?" he grunts. "In there? I'm not going far in there without the rest of you, but I can scout for a short distance."

He grimaces. "They're expecting us, that's why I'm concerned. That's all."

Code:
Stealth: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  11 + 10 modifier = 21

Perception: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  13 + 7 modifier = 20

Ivor begins to carefully approach the cave. His unease may suggest a phobia but he continues inside relying on his darkvision to avoid any traps, foes or snakes within.

Ivor's reluctance to enter the cave is evident to his companions, but he swallows his misgivings and does the job that was asked of him.

As it turns out, this time his fear translates into a hyper-alertness that serves him well on his reconnaissance mission; one might say that he's "in the zone".

The mouth of the cave opens up quickly, into a large room that extends back for maybe thirty yards. The pattern of markings and wear on the wall indicates that it may have been hollowed out artificially. There are various rocks close to the edge of the room that would make for excellent cover and hiding places. In the center of the room is a wooden table with a large lit lantern, and a few chairs around it. In the back right corner appears to be a wooden shelf stocked with foodstuffs, and nearby, a weapons rack with swords, bows, arrows, and hand axes. Along the rightmost wall are a series of about ten empty sleeping cots.

Ivor finds an excellent place behind a rock, in a poorly-lit area, and begins to observe. The back wall of the cave has two doors built into it; the one in the center is made of wooden, and although it's not exactly shabby, there's nothing remarkable about it. Standing in front of the door are the woman who looked like the mayor's daughter, and the man called Davos that she claimed was her brother; Ivor merely catches a glimpse of the girl before he shoves her into the room on the other side of the door and then locks it tight.

Davos then turns and walks to the left, and to Ivor's surprise, a shadowy, cloaked figure that he somehow hadn't noticed before is suddenly standing next to Davos. Ivor finds it extremely difficult to visually focus on this man, and suspects that there may be sorcery afoot.

The shadowy figure and Davos talk in hushed tones for only a few seconds (the words are inaudible, even with Ivor's adrenaline-induced hyperawareness), and then the figure turns and walks to the second door, in the back left corner of the room. This one is very large - at least eight feet tall, by Ivor's estimations - and is made of a metal which looks extremely heavy and durable. The figure lifts his hand, and the door opens silently on its own; after he walks through, the door closes just as quietly.

Ivor refocuses his attention onto Davos, who is now barking orders at the three other figures remaining in the room. One of them is a half-orc, armed with an axe; he looks familiar, perhaps one of the kidnappers from the trail. Also present is a full-blooded orc, though somehow this one is smaller and scrawnier than his half-blood companion. He has a small pair of bongo drums strapped to his back. Rounding out the quartet is a human female, who has a belt full of throwing daggers strapped across her chest.

"Ugrok and Leeta, you two fix our guest some supper so she'll shut up for a minute. Kempok, you keep your eye on the mouth of the cave in here 'til they're done. After the Little Princess has had her fill, you and Ugrok are gonna keep watch outside. I got some paperwork to do." He doesn't wait for confirmation and immediately moves to sit down at the table. Kempok (the half orc) moves toward the weapon rack in the back of the room.

((Ivor, you don't have to retype all of that out again to tell the others what happened, though you can feel free to give your assessment of the situation to the others before moving forward.

At this point, when someone indicates that they're moving in to engage the enemy, roll your initiative, take your action, and roll damage if you hit (all in the same post). Since you guys passed the skill challenge, they're not going to be ready for you on the first round (unless you decide to wait for some reason), so Ivor, you will get your Sneak Attack damage. After everyone has posted their turn, I'll wrap up the round, and we'll proceed to the next round. Good luck!))

((Before I act, just a couple of questions))

((For our surprise round, we can act in any order we want, and then the next turn is when we start acting by our initiative rolls?))

((Two, are we basically "attacking" them with no repercussions and with no need to worry about movement or stealth?))

((Good questions, and I did forget to clarify somethings initially, so thank you for asking, and I'm sorry about that.

When you roll initiative, you'll go in initiative order each round, including the surprise round, when it matters. During the writeup, I'll put things in order as much as possible.

Without a map, we'll be relying on descriptions, and I'm hoping that it works, because making a map will take up a lot more of my time. But, I'll do it if I have to. For now:

Davos is sitting at a table in the center of the room, and is within range to charge at him and swing (but see below), or he's also within range of crossbows/bow and arrows. The human female and the Orc are both in the far corner, and are not currently in melee range. They are within crossbow range, but it would be too far away for Sneak attack. They are also close enough to each other to affect them both with an area-effect spell.

The half-orc is the closest, but he's also the most-ready for combat (he has his weapon out), so if you try to run past him, he'll be able to take an opportunity attack. He's positioned so that you'd have to get past him in order to reach any of the others.

You're all essentially "stealthy" for this round automatically. In subsequent rounds, you have to actually make hide checks if you want to be get stealthy again, and you need to get behind cover for that (which is available at the edge of the room)

Oh and Bones, I forgot to mention that you can take Daisy's turn at the same time you take yours. Don't worry about using a separate initiative for her.

Any more questions? Ask away.))

((So basically I can go ahead and choose an action to take, roll initiative, and you'll put my action in the order of initiative? Sounds alright unless a teammate wants me to do something different))

Code:
Initiative: 1D20+1 => [ 2 ] +1 = 3

((Actually, I don't think choosing an action now is feasible, seeing how I am the most likely to go last, I need to see what others do before I choose something to do.))

Code:
Init: 1D20+7 => [ 8 ] +7 = 15
Quintus casts Glitter dust on the female and orc on the other side of the room, hopefully keeping them out of the fight for a while.

((btw, who big is the place? Basically want to know if i could cast enlarge person on someone and they'd still be able to move and attack properly.))

Top Bottom