• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank movie to be shown in Cannes in May

RCSI

I'll watch this movie.

I wish there was another game, running at 60fps...

But I will watch this movie.

Still sad that Insomniac has chosen to go for 30fps for their games.

Still, looking forward to the release date for the movie.

LordofPwn

Will the cinema release include a 3D option?

yes. the link in the OP says its 3D.

It got into Cannes so could have a potential oscar nomination coming.

Excited to see it, hope to hear about it at E3, along with the new game. Love that franchise.

Percy

Banned
Hopefully what began as only a 're-imagining' has become something much bigger - I'm in desperate need for the return to AAA Ratchet, instead of the lame B-tier games they've release since CiT.

Insomniac would probably consider being 'B-tier' an aspirational goal in recent years given how poor their output has been since CiT seemingly put the nail in the coffin on their time in the metaphorical 'big leagues'.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting anything genuinely high quality from them re: the new R&C game imo.

LordofPwn

It was only announced 10 months ago at E3 2014. But they did say it would be a '2015' release, but suspiciously didn't show anything of it. And they still haven't shown it at all.
There's a trailer out and a teaser. but sometimes Cannes puts limitations on movies they show off, so thats most likely why.

Hopefully what began as only a 're-imagining' has become something much bigger - I'm in desperate need for the return to AAA Ratchet, instead of the lame B-tier games they've release since CiT.
Into the Nexus was really fun, just short.

The movie will be shit as Ratchet will only be running at 23.976fps ;)
24 in the states, 25 at cannes. no drop frames in cinema.

Vashetti

Banned
yes. the link in the OP says its 3D.

Excited to see it, hope to hear about it at E3, along with the new game. Love that franchise.

Nice, I hope Sony puts it out on Blu-ray in 3D.

All these animated movies shine in 3D. R&C should be really special.

I know you're kidding, but Cannes is a film market first and a festival second. I mean, Troma's been going to Cannes annually for 35 years, and no one would ever argue that they're Oscar-worthy. :)

LordofPwn

I know you're kidding, but Cannes is a film market first and a festival second. I mean, Troma's been going to Cannes annually for 35 years, and no one would ever argue that they're Oscar-worthy. :)

Well in my 10 years of film making i've yet to get accepted into cannes, but let's be honest theres usually not much competition for Animated features at the oscars, and yes im still bitter that the LEGO movie didn't even get a nomination

Rembrandt

Banned
Well in my 10 years of film making i've yet to get accepted into cannes, but let's be honest theres usually not much competition for Animated features at the oscars, and yes im still bitter that the LEGO movie didn't even get a nomination

I think his point is that it could it at Cannes and still not get an Oscar or even a nomination. It happens every year.

Rembrandt

Banned
And my point is not getting into cannes and getting an oscar nom is less likely.

How? I'm assuming you're staying this just because it's animated and accepted, but getting into Cannes is definitely not an automatic seal of quality. You can think what you want, though.

Did any of last year's nominees premiere at Cannes?

Well in my 10 years of film making i've yet to get accepted into cannes
As far as I know, Ratchet and Clank hasn't been 'accepted into Cannes' the way you mean. It's just a screening (or series of screenings?), either as a general premiere or to sell the movie to distributors internationally. I know that when most people hear "Cannes", they think prestige and awards, but for the most part, it's a marketplace. The movies screened there span everything, from Academy Award-destined arthouse films to Pro-Wrestlers vs. Zombies and Bikini Swamp Girls Massacre (which I'm not making up; actually screened at Cannes last year).

Insomniac would probably consider being 'B-tier' an aspirational goal in recent years given how poor their output has been since CiT seemingly put the nail in the coffin on their time in the metaphorical 'big leagues'.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting anything genuinely high quality from them re: the new R&C game imo.

Thinking otherwise is wrong tbh. A4O and FFA were always advertised to be different types of games, and ITN (which was great by the way) was always advertised to be a shorter game. Anyone paying attention to the titles pre release knew what they would be before they came out.

The upcoming game is going to be as full and as standard a Ratchet and Clack game as any of the other mainline titles, which is something that anyone who likes R&C games should be excited for.

Circinus

For animated feature, I think it's possible. I really hope it ends up being amazing. ^.^

The competition this year is:

Strange Magic, The Spongebob Movie, Home, Shaun the Sheep Movie, Minions, Hotel Transylvania 2, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, The Peanuts Movie, Le Petit Prince.

I made box office predictions for top 11 highest-grossing CGI animated feature films of 2015 in another thread already:

1. Minions ($850 million)
2. Inside Out ($600 million)
3. Hotel Transylvania 2 ($550 million)
4. The Good Dinosaur ($500 million)
5. Home ($375 million)
6. The Peanuts Movie ($370 million)
7. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water ($350 million)
8. Ratchet & Clank ($250 million)
9. Le Petit Prince [The Little Prince] ($250 million)
10. Shaun the Sheep Movie ($50 million)
11. Strange Magic ($12.4 million)

Eep. Can't wait for this.

Though I'm more excited for seeing footage of the game. I get that Insomniac are quiet about it because Sunset Overdrive has been their focus for a while now, but damn, it's time to show us something!

sn00zer

To make it popular in France they should just make Ratchet and Clank black and white, have a lot of people smoking and talking pretentiously, make the plot unintelligible, and add Gérard Depardieu. Boom. Hit of Cannes!

I love that this film stereotype is outdated by like 20-30yrs

jiggle

The-Galactic-Rangers.jpg

I want the game to look exactly like this :(

[mg]http://www.cinemamanagementgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/The-Galactic-Rangers.jpg[/img]

I want the game to look exactly like this :(

They had the PS3 Ratchet looking like this

rc4hk4y.jpg

rc1vdk58.jpg

They've said that the PS4 Ratchet will standup with the best looking games on the system. So they should be receiving a healthy budget. It's going to be interesting to see as I think this will be the first big budget cartoony game designed specifically for the PS4.

ninjabat

Damn, hope this gets decent word of mouth from cannes. Doubtful though, since this is the kind of film not really made for that crowd.

Vashetti

Banned
They had the PS3 Ratchet looking like this

rc4hk4y.jpg

rc1vdk58.jpg

They've said that the PS4 Ratchet will standup with the best looking games on the system. So they should be receiving a healthy budget. It's going to be interesting to see as I think this will be the first big budget cartoony game designed specifically for the PS4.

Dude, I love ACiT, but this is not representative of what the game looked like. These are shots from CGI cutscenes.

spliced

I'm glad they haven't shown anything from the game yet, the closer to release they do the better as far as I'm concerned.

KodaRuss

Pretty excited for this. I hope it does well and sort of revitalizes the series because I think it kinda needs it at the moment. I have not played into the nexus yet but I have heard good things so I guess take my opinion with a grain of salt but the series does not command the media attention that it once did.

I really want to see more Ratchet, Clank and Quark!

He does well with the character interactions and, for the most part, the dialogue. The only R&C plot he's written that was exceptional was CiT imo. If anything, the movie should at least "feel" like a Ratchet and Clank game.

It's being directed by Kevin Munroe, who did TMNT 2007.

It was announced to have a theatrical release from the start.
Huh, that's funny, Ratchet's current VA is the same as Raph's in TMNT '07, James Taylor.

With 2 Disney movies, Shaun, Peanuts, Zarafara, The Boy and the World, When Marnie was there and Minions? Lol to the fucking no.

I can guarantee Marnie, TBatW, Zarafa and Shaun are even close to a threat. Minions, and Inside Out, Good Dinosaur, and Peanuts are the last big animated releases of the year. I'm not saying Ratchet is going to be a runaway hit, but it's a little lolworthy to think the films you listed will easily trump it. Foreign/independent films barely stand a chance worldwide, unfortunately.

berzeli

Banned
Whilst this thread's title technically is correct, it will be shown in May and indeed in the city of Cannes, it is also incredibly misleading.

The film will be shown for the Marché du Film which is a totally separate event from the Cannes Film Festival and is aimed at industry professionals. So it probably would be a good idea to update the thread so that people are aware of what exactly is going on.

Gorgeous shots.

Can't wait for the game and the movie.

Pretty excited for this. I hope it does well and sort of revitalizes the series because I think it kinda needs it at the moment. I have not played into the nexus yet but I have heard good things so I guess take my opinion with a grain of salt but the series does not command the media attention that it once did.

I really want to see more Ratchet, Clank and Quark!

Yeah, I love this series so I hope so too.

Jigolo

Would you please refer me to that quote. I can't be the only one thinking this "reimagining" is just an up rezzed PS2 port that is going to release digitally only. I mean really this whole new cachet game sounds scetchy

Circinus

Would you please refer me to that quote. I can't be the only one thinking this "reimagining" is just an up rezzed PS2 port that is going to release digitally only. I mean really this whole new cachet game sounds scetchy

Circinus said:
Remaster = enhanced port. Same game, same assets and everything, but with a few visual/performance-related improvements (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS3), The Last of Us (PS4))

Remake = New assets recreated from scratch with modern game technology. Same level design, same story, but completely overhauled graphics. (e.g. MGS: The Twin Snakes, Oddworld New 'n' Tasty)

Reboot/re-imagining = Game completely built up from scratch. Everything completely overhauled in terms of gameplay, graphics, setting, story. Characters and trademark gameplay elements usually remain intact, but the gameplay is otherwise completely updated and re-imagined. In a franchise reboot, franchise continuity gets discarded. (e.g. Tomb Raider 2013, Thief 2014, Star Wars: Battlefront 2015. In a re-imagining, franchise continuity doesn't get discarded, but the amount of 'NEW' is comparable to a franchise reboot (e.g. Ratchet & 2015, Phantom Dust 2016)

The Ratchet & Clank PS4 game is a completely new game built from the ground up; it will be a complete, full-blown re-imagining of the original Ratchet & Clank game from the PlayStation 2-era.

And here's the initial PS Blog post announcement, where the Insomniac staffer says "the graphics will rival some of the best looking PS4 games on the market"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/ratchet-clank-announced-for-ps4/

PlayStation Blog said:
It’s been a dream of ours for years at Insomniac to see Ratchet & Clank on the big screen. We think the entire Ratchet & Clank universe is a perfect fit for moviegoers, from our unique cast of intergalactic characters and outrageous weapons to the majestic planets and cheeky humor.
So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4. As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market.

Our California and North Carolina studios will work on the game together – marking our deepest cross-country collaboration since the Durham studio was founded in 2009. Many of the original developers responsible for the very first Ratchet & Clank game will get an opportunity to create the stunning Solana Galaxy our fans have been clamoring for. Longtime Design Director Brian Allgeier, North Carolina Studio Director Chad Dezern and Game Director Shaun McCabe will lead the project.

I’ve been personally involved with the Ratchet & Clank movie since pre-production began. Hopefully, you had a chance to see the film trailer shown during the press conference . We are happy with how production is progressing as everything feels authentic to the spirit of Ratchet & Clank. In fact, our key characters are voiced in the movie by the same fine folks who bring them to life in our games – talented actors such as James Arnold Taylor (Ratchet), David Kaye (Clank) and Jim Ward (Qwark) reprise their famous roles while we have a surprise or two still planned. Former Insomniac scribe-turned-Hollywood screenwriter TJ Fixman wrote the Ratchet & Clank movie’s original script. Renowned award-winning Insomniac artists David Guertin and Greg Baldwin created the character concepts for some of the new creatures appearing in the film — operating under their spectacular Creaturebox label .

Top Bottom