• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

SolidC213

3 and 4 are really the only complaints that aren't nit picking imo. Hopefully with online being pay to play some of those funds can be used to fix these issues.

Alucrid

Banned
It's the sign of incompetence that concerns me. They had the PS3 store right, and then they chose to redesign it, and it got worse. That's just dumb. Someone higher up should have seen the new store and literally told them they're not launching it like it is, but no, that person up top gave it the green light, and now everyone is suffering the consequences.

Microsoft may be a little dirty, but they're competent. They get shit done and it works like it should. It may be that I value competence more than likeability.

To be honest I didn't want to go on and on, but yes, I have more concerns than I listed.

What the hell are you talking about? Finding a game on their marketplace, unless it's the newest CoD map promoted on the front page, is a pain in the ass.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
5) Pretty sure it has been confirmed that trophies will auto-sync on the PS4, whether you have PS+ or not. With the PS4 having a dedicated chip for background downloads and stuff, I imagine all of this is going to be completely transparent this time around. No more sitting around waiting for the sync to complete.

coldfoot

Banned
It's the sign of incompetence that concerns me. They had the PS3 store right, and then they chose to redesign it, and it got worse.
People releasing Windows 8 saw the shit replacement for start menu and gave it the go ahead anyway because it fit their vision. Same with Sony, they wanted to move to HTML5, except PS3 is in its twilight years anyway so making it a bit slower wasn't too much of a problem.

The Xbone has an always on camera, coming from a company that has already handed over our personal info to the NSA on a silver platter.

The PS4 has lights on the controller, and, potentially, a slow storefront.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
4) when you say the PS Store changed, I feel like it's a moo point, because it's a past decision, and if we bring up things like that we shouldn't be buying any of the consoles. I do agree however that making the ps store an app sucks.

A moo point?

Are you Matt LeBlanc aka Joey Tribiani?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Download speeds (for the most part) are a problem if your network is a problem, my PSN downloads are really fast and I have a basic FIOS package and my PS3 gets a good signal to my router wireless. It only took me 3.5 hours to download and install the last of us which is 27 gigs. I consider that good.

But I will not deny that other people have legitimate issue's getting games to download decently off PSN.

The rest of the list is truly rather trivial and comes off as kind of whiny. Even if I do think that sony should let you change your PSN name.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am curious about trophies. Haven't heard much on them.

What the hell are you talking about? Finding a game on their marketplace, unless it's the newest CoD map promoted on the front page, is a pain in the ass.

Not agreeing with him completely, but you literally just go to Bing and type the game name. Or go to Games-Browse Games-whatever category you want. It's quicker than the current PS Store.

besada

Banned
Some of those concern me, too. Especially the gruesomely bad PSN download speeds (on a wired box, thanks), and their inability to patch and install games without taking a long time. Hopefully they've remedied both of those.

I don't really care about the trophies, and I assume they'll do a patch for the irritating light bar, so I'm not too worried about those.

It's the sign of incompetence that concerns me. They had the PS3 store right, and then they chose to redesign it, and it got worse. That's just dumb. Someone higher up should have seen the new store and literally told them they're not launching it like it is, but no, that person up top gave it the green light, and now everyone is suffering the consequences.

Microsoft may be a little dirty, but they're competent. They get shit done and it works like it should. It may be that I value competence more than likeability.

To be honest I didn't want to go on and on, but yes, I have more concerns than I listed.

I for one find nothing wrong with the new design of the store, so as an issue that's something entirely subjective.

Also on your talk of signs of incompetence, how would you rate MS given their botched reveal of the XB1, terribad policies, the whole adam orth debacle, shitty pricing, decision to force kinect down the throats of every XB1 owner... etc etc?. I really could go on.

If all Sony gets wrong is your measly list of non-issues you really did have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find, then I'd say they've given an order of magnitude more reasons to be confident in their competency than MS have lately.

Garryk

I'm mostly worried about OS performance and loading times. It takes so freaking long to start The Last of Us and once you are in a game, the XMB is super slow. Let's not even talk about Trophy Syncing (I think this is getting fixed on PS4?) and the Store app.

You're joking right?

Also what if you don't like the name you started with and don't want to create a new account? What then?

No I'm not. Or at least make a once every 6 months policy. Keeps all the script kiddies from acting like dicks in game and changing nickname regularly.

Roto13

1) Developers can turn it off, and I imagine they will for games that don't use it. (Which will probably be most of them.)

2) Not a real problem.

3) This has to do with the PS3's crappy wi-fi. Not a real problem for PS4.

4) That's a PS3 issue. Not a real problem for PS4.

5) Not a real problem.

I feel like it's a moo point

Is that like a cow's opinion?

It's funny that the only stuff you can complain about the PS4 are things like a friggin' lightbar, achievements and unchangeable PSN IDs.

Caayn

These aren't the biggest points but they do affect the user experience. And for people complaining about point 3 that he should use Wi-Fi. The PS3 downloads speeds aren't noticeable better when you use a cable. When compared to the Xbox 360 and PC, the download speeds of the PS3 are too slow. There's no excuse for that.

Is the PS4 still going to have to install everything after you've downloaded it? It is rather annoying to have to wait till the package has been installed after you've downloaded it.
Also have they announced how patches are going to be handled with the PS4? For example: do we still need to download 5 patches or is it going to be compiled into one patch?

Famassu

1) The light bar on the controller can't be turned off. Again, this could be a small thing to some, but to others like myself, who have newer tvs that are very reflective, it's a big concern. I sometimes notice the tiny red light on the dual shock 3 when playing my PS3 now. That big light bar on the dual shock 4? Oh, it's going to be noticeable. Sony had better figure this one out before launch, because it's gonna irritate a lot of people.
The light of the light bar is softer, I'm not sure if it's going to be an issue at all. Looks like you're just looking for shit to complain about...

2) Still can't change your PSN ID name. Yes, this is a small thing to some, but for others it's a big annoyance, myself included. This was possible on the Xbox 360 the day it launched in 2005. Here we are 8 years later, and it's still not possible on PS3. Maybe it will be possible on PS4, but we have yet to hear about it.
Well, PS3 is the first platform for Sony with a single-access username. I'm sure they are thoughtful of people who might want to change their username after a generation of having the same. I have absolutely no problems with this since I don't have a silly username I'd even want to change.

3) Download speeds are still a problem for many of us. To put it simply, for many of us PSN download speeds are far slower than Xbox Live or Steam. Yes, some people seem to have fast speeds, maybe they're just lucky to be located near a server, but many of us experience rather mediocre speeds. I'm lucky that mine are just meh. Not terrible, but not great. Sure this could be improved with new servers, but Sony's had years now, and things really haven't changed. This is clearly something they need to work on, and I don't believe they've promised it will be anytime soon.
I think it's some hardware problem more than an issue at Sony's end. AFAIK, I'm not sure if anyone is having similar problems with Vita? Seems like they've already adressed that issue.

4) The PS3 store got redesigned for a third time, and usability regressed dramatically. To me this is a real problem and it happened so recently, and it's a pattern for Sony. Sometimes it feels like they don't learn from the past, and that concerns me for the future. This new store has a ridiculous boot up time, and using it is basically a pain in the ass. Yes, it looks prettier, but the old store was fine, and much faster.
I think that's more of a memory issue. Vita's store is already super-fast, PS4's will be faster.

5) Achievements are going to involve, but we've heard nothing about trophies. Like it or not achievements blew up last gen, and from everything we've heard so far, it sounds like Microsoft intends to push them even further with the XB1. Dynamic achievements, and special events where those who participate will receive a special unlock all sound like great ideas to me. Sony has said nothing on this front, and I wonder if they'll be left behind once again, trying to play catchup in this highly popular sub culture in gaming. On a side note, will trophies still have to be synced on PS4? They do on Vita, and it feels very old fashioned to have to manually do this when the 360 has been auto updating achievements in the cloud since 2005.
This is a "concern" for you? Who gives a shit if Trophies don't evolve that massively. It'll be nice if you don't have to sync trophies (with the way they are advancing with background downloads & everything else with the OS, I'm sure trophies will update in the background as well), but the "dynamic achievements" isn't even a small advantage for Xbone. That isn't some "concern" for PS4.

I'm just concerned that as we saw in the previous gen, Microsoft is constantly looking forward, and always ensures that the basics are done right. I don't have that same confidence with Sony, and I hope they prove me wrong next gen, but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.
PS4 offers stuff like the Share-button and they've added the whole "play an incomplete download", which definitely prove Sony doesn't sit on their laurels. PS3's problems mostly come from having too little memory and Sony having been more incompetent with OS development at the beginning of this generation. They've obviously learned a lot and it shows with Vita already.

Mrcapcom

Why are people hype to change there PSN ID?
Speed on PS3 was a issue but I guess you got used to the downloads by doing them at night. Xbox was slow at times too but I could at least go do something and come back and it was done.

I like the new store haven't had any issues there as far as speed, plus I use the web store when I'm not home.

Jack_AG

Banned
1) It can be turned off. Devs have the option and I'm quite sure if we make enough of a stink about it - it will be in a firmware update.

2) Not exclusive to PS4 - this is a PSN complaint.

3) Seeing as how many of us don't have a single issue - this could simply be your ISP and the route you take to connect to PSN. This is common and happens with a lot more than just PSN. Again, a PSN complaint and not exclusive to PS4.

4) I agree with this. The store is a thorn in many a user's side.

5) A large majority of games are multiplatform. The way trophies/achievements are dealt are left solely up to the developer. Dynamic, special events, etc - are exclusive to the game, not PS4.

So you have 2 legitimate areas for concern about the PS4 - one of them you flat out got wrong and the other is true. The rest is not exclusive to PS4 and while things do carry over (to an extent) - everything we've heard from Cerny points to Sony getting their head out of their ass.

That being said I will reserve judgement when we know more.

Dunlop

Never change, BruiserBear.

grow up

On topic,

My biggest concern is noise, I couldn't give a flying fuck how the box that goes on my AV shelf beside the other boxes look. Noise on the other hand is a big deal.

Secondary is your point about the stupid light on the controller and the inability to turn it off at the OS level. I do not game as often as I used to. But when I do it is beer in hand, lights off in my basement for the most immersion possible. I have a reflective screen on my plasma and this will definitely be noticeable. I'm hoping they patch this in before going live

kadotsu

Banned
grow up

On topic,

My biggest concern is noise, I couldn't give a flying fuck how the box that goes on my AV shelf beside the other boxes look. Noise on the other hand is a big deal.

Secondary is your point about the stupid light on the controller and the inability to turn it off at the OS level. I do not game as often as I used to. But when I do it is beer in hand, lights off in my basement for the most immersion possible. I have a reflective screen on my plasma and this will definitely be noticeable. I'm hoping they patch this in before going live

Here's your immersion device:

ducttape.jpeg

Joni

Is the PS4 still going to have to install everything after you've downloaded it? It is rather annoying to have to wait till the package has been installed after you've downloaded it.
They have adressed this. You can start playing while downloading. No need to download and install.

Also have they announced how patches are going to be handled with the PS4? For example: do we still need to download 5 patches or is it going to be compiled into one patch?
I don't get this complaint. On the PS3 the download manager starts one process to download the five of them. It wouldn't change anything if they hid the fact there are five patches.

watership

The downloads/online infrastructure is the only one I really care about right now. And we won't know until a few weeks after launch how that works out. I guess UI is a concern, but I generally just slog through UIs even if they suck.

To be clear, download speed issues with the PS3 were in my understanding confirmed to be a function of a shitty network card on the PS3 that didn't play nice with certain types of router. They've got nothing to do with PSN's network infrastructure as far as I'm aware.

It's never been an issue that has affected every single PS3, as in the past 5 years of ownership, and in the past 3 apartments i've lived in here in London, my two PS3s have never been slower downloading than my other devices.

Every single person I know who has had issues has just put their PS3 in the DMZ and seen d/l speeds increase by an order of magnitude. D/l speeds on Vita are just as fast as any other device, and so have proven that it isn't the network and has never been so.

It's a common fallacy.

Raymo

Everything is in the background. If you watched the feb reveal you would have heard them explain it.

Markadias

Banned
The biggest issue with PSN speeds for me is the fact I have a Fibre connection with an "N" router. Ain't the PS3 supposed to be "G"?
I'm not technical, but I know that has something to do with it... At least for me. Wired I get really fast speeds of course.

These aren't the biggest points but they do affect the user experience.

Is the PS4 still going to have to install everything after you've downloaded it?

If you take the fact into account that you can start playing games on PS4 while they are still downloading, then installing after downloading won't be anymore.

NekoFever

The light bar and slow downloads are issues for me. Minor, to be sure, but they're legitimate.

I'm also somewhat worried about Sony doing too well without competent competition. Don't want Sony circa 2005-2006 coming back.

2) Still can't change your PSN ID name. Yes, this is a small thing to some, but for others it's a big annoyance, myself included. This was possible on the Xbox 360 the day it launched in 2005. Here we are 8 years later, and it's still not possible on PS3. Maybe it will be possible on PS4, but we have yet to hear about it.

That seems like a gripe of people who usually misbehave online.

Sorral

The title and the bolded paragraph at the end sound somewhat hyperbolic honestly.

I will give you #3 (though I don't have issues with it myself, but enough voiced their experience with that for it be an issue) as we will be paying for multiplayer later and such.

The rest are really either minor or preferences/wants.

hodgy100

The thingsi n the OP are neither that bad or dont bother me.
The things I am worried about are however:

1. PS1 backwards compatability. is it supported atall? ie my digital versions? my disks? or just gaikai?
2. Same as above but for PS2.

Eidan

A lot of us have been very excited about what we've seen from the PS4 so far. The most powerful next gen console by a good margin, a price $100 lower than the XB1, and no camera required to use the console.

However, when considering which console I buy this fall, I wanted to look at the big picture for a moment. To consider every aspect of these new consoles, and how I expect things to actually play out when owning one.

Sony made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, price being the biggest, but there were many more that get less attention. From a user perspective the PS3 launched without a lot of software features the 360 had day one. Over time Sony improved things considerably, but here are some areas I still have concerns about, and frankly, the more I consider all of them, I begin to think the Xbox One might just be the one I buy first.

1) The light bar on the controller can't be turned off. Again, this could be a small thing to some, but to others like myself, who have newer tvs that are very reflective, it's a big concern. I sometimes notice the tiny red light on the dual shock 3 when playing my PS3 now. That big light bar on the dual shock 4? Oh, it's going to be noticeable. Sony had better figure this one out before launch, because it's gonna irritate a lot of people.

The big picture.

To be clear, download speed issues with the PS3 were in my understanding confirmed to be a function of a shitty network card on the PS3 that didn't play nice with certain types of router. They've got nothing to do with PSN's network infrastructure as far as I'm aware.

It's never been an issue that has affected every single PS3, as in the past 5 years of ownership, and in the past 3 apartments i've lived in here in London, my two PS3s have never been slower downloading than my other devices.

Every single person I know who has had issues has just put their PS3 in the DMZ and seen d/l speeds increase by an order of magnitude. D/l speeds on Vita are just as fast as any other device, and so have proven that it isn't the network and has never been so.

It's a common fallacy.

I hadn't thought of that. I just blamed PSN. It's still Sonys fault but I guess if DMZing the PS3 fixes the stupidly low speeds and slowdowns it could be worth it.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
A lot of us have been very excited about what we've seen from the PS4 so far. The most powerful next gen console by a good margin, a price $100 lower than the XB1, and no camera required to use the console.

However, when considering which console I buy this fall, I wanted to look at the big picture for a moment. To consider every aspect of these new consoles, and how I expect things to actually play out when owning one.

Sony made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, price being the biggest, but there were many more that get less attention. From a user perspective the PS3 launched without a lot of software features the 360 had day one. Over time Sony improved things considerably, but here are some areas I still have concerns about, and frankly, the more I consider all of them, I begin to think the Xbox One might just be the one I buy first.

3) Download speeds are still a problem for many of us. To put it simply, for many of us PSN download speeds are far slower than Xbox Live or Steam. Yes, some people seem to have fast speeds, maybe they're just lucky to be located near a server, but many of us experience rather mediocre speeds. I'm lucky that mine are just meh. Not terrible, but not great. Sure this could be improved with new servers, but Sony's had years now, and things really haven't changed. This is clearly something they need to work on, and I don't believe they've promised it will be anytime soon.

4) The PS3 store got redesigned for a third time, and usability regressed dramatically. To me this is a real problem and it happened so recently, and it's a pattern for Sony. Sometimes it feels like they don't learn from the past, and that concerns me for the future. This new store has a ridiculous boot up time, and using it is basically a pain in the ass. Yes, it looks prettier, but the old store was fine, and much faster.

5) Achievements are going to involve, but we've heard nothing about trophies. Like it or not achievements blew up last gen, and from everything we've heard so far, it sounds like Microsoft intends to push them even further with the XB1. Dynamic achievements, and special events where those who participate will receive a special unlock all sound like great ideas to me. Sony has said nothing on this front, and I wonder if they'll be left behind once again, trying to play catchup in this highly popular sub culture in gaming. On a side note, will trophies still have to be synced on PS4? They do on Vita, and it feels very old fashioned to have to manually do this when the 360 has been auto updating achievements in the cloud since 2005.

TL:DR
For everything Sony gets right, they get something else very wrong. They design this brilliant new controller that everyone says is a joy to hold and use, but then they stick a large lightbar on the top of it that will surely irritate a great many users. They redesign their PSN store and make it really pretty to look at, but the usability suffers greatly, to the point where people literally dread using it. They pimp day one digital downloads, but they still have pathetically long download speeds for many users, making buying large games less appealing.

I'm just concerned that as we saw in the previous gen, Microsoft is constantly looking forward, and always ensures that the basics are done right. I don't have that same confidence with Sony, and I hope they prove me wrong next gen, but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.

1. That can be an issue for you if the lightbar is too bright. But then again, it is a light bar, it won't be as bright as the lights on the dual shock 3. Sony may address this over time as well if it proves to be an actual problem.
2.That may be an issue for some people indeed. But I feel like it may help in identifying people with bad behaviour on the network. Again, Sony may decide to address this issue, we do not know.
3. This should not be a concern. The PS4's network functionality is entirely different from the PS3. An added reason why there is a paywall for online play, is to be able to provide better servers.
4. See number 3.
5. A lot of people out there are not fond of achievements/trophies. But for those who are, I can indeed see why there would be a need for them to evolve.

I don't know, these issues you highlight seem to stem from misinformation more than anything. I can definitely see why 1 and 5 might be an issue though. 5 especially. If you believe issue number 5 to be important enough for you to purchase the Xbox One over the PS4, then yea, I would definitely recommend you to buy the Xb1. Outside of issue 5, I don't see why you would be willing to buy the Xbox One over the PS4, given that there is a $100 price difference and considerable GFX capability favouring the PS4 over the XBoxOne.

Top Bottom