• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

I don't want to call anyone out by mistake but that OP smells MS paid for shilling,

Those issues you've listed are weak...if that's the only problems the PS4 has then its a pretty good console!

I've known bruiser bear for years. He isn't a shill. He is a contrarian. He also has massive pet peeves with most big podcasts/sites being pro-360 and shitty towards the ps3.

Very nice guy but he likes to make mountains out of molehills. But atleast he is equal opportunity about it.

1) Could be annoying, but from my experience with Move for example, only really noticeable if while pretty dark and you are not immersed in the game you are playing.

2) This is such a minor problem. I'd imagine it is an unbelievably small set of users who would need this.

3) Only truly 'concerning' issue in this list. But with Sony finally understanding the importance of the back end to PSN and now being able to count on PS+ subscriptions, not to mention the already auto-updates and Play Go, I think Sony is remedying this well enough already.

4) Couldn't care less. I've probably spent an aggregate of 10 hours in the PS Store in the last 5 years. I go in knowing what I want to get, browse to it, hit buy/download, maybe browse around a bit more, done... back to XMB

5) I actually neither love or hate trophies, but it would be nice to have options to opt in/out of them either for all or at least per game. But honestly, they are one of the things that made last gen suck a little more compared to previous gens.

All in all, this list comes of as alarmist.

FranXico

Like others have mentioned, lack of backwards compatibility is a pretty big deal. May not sound like a problem by comparison to the competition, but it will be missed.

It's making me wait before getting the PS4 already as it is!

Some of these concerns do bother me (new store stability, PSN DL speeds) but even so PS4 is still looking a hell of a lot better than XB1 and Wii U right now for obvious reasons.

Oppo

Yeah, not concerned about any of these.

1 - I have Move, I've used it, reflections didn't bother me (I didn't really ntoice to be honest) and that's a huge glowing ball

2,3,4,5 are all up in the air and predicated on PS3 behaviour

Sendou

I don't understand this mentality, if you bought a $200,000 car and the seat wasn't in a comfortable position would you refuse to adjust it? It takes no more then about 15 seconds to cut off a piece of electrical tape and apply it to the lightbar. You don't have to damage anything or take apart the controller, and it wouldn't affect how you have to use it.

I don't understand this mentality. Instead of Sony doing something on OS level that would take them few hours the solution that some people are seriously(?) suggesting is that you apply duck tape your brand new controller. Sure that's probably what I'll end up doing if Sony seriously is too incompetent to solve the issue at their end. Not to forget that you actually need to see the light from time to time since it's apparently the only indicator about which controller is which.

Arklite

The download speeds are the only real concern. We haven't heard a lot about what's going on with the network. The store's problem isn't design but optimization.

The rest of the points are weak, like the Wii U not coming standard with a pro controller or XBone not coming with a headset and rechargeable batteries. Issues for sure, but not console defining stuff.

quickwhips

I hope universal invites and party invite to game with ease. This would be biggest disappointment after speed and confusing user interface.

Sorral

I agree but the progression of my Phat PS3 (whisper Quiet) to my Slim PS3 (quite noticeably loud) makes me concerned that they are sacrificing sound suppression for form factor

never seen or heard the last PS3 model abomination

The opposite for me especially if my phat PS3 was under heavy load and the blu-ray disc was spinning. The slim is much quieter from what I remember to compare with my MGS4 bundle PS3.

Was the one you had just never under load like one of the intensive games? MGS4, Uncharted, etc.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Yeah, same here. I'm worried Sony hasn't said anything about that, and nobody's asked them (journalists, I mean, I've sent a couple unanswered tweets already). Assuming the drive can actually read CDs (which is still a touch unclear), there should be nothing stopping them from emulating the PS1 and PS2 discs just fine. I don't even care if PS2 games aren't there at launch, but there needs to be a definitive answer.

PS4 does not support CDs. Backward compatibility will be at the core of Gaikai, in order to be able to offer BC for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.
The reason for this is that Sony learned BC was not as popular as they had hoped when the released the PS3, and the 360 sold more, and MS took its marketshare despite the fact that many people presumably had PS2s and despite that, jumped to 360.
Another reason is that the PS4's architecture is completely different from the PS3's, which was terrible to develop for. In an effort to make it possible for developers to make games faster, and more efficiently, they threw the PS3's architecture to the side and made it much more developer friendly.

The Xbox One will not feature Backward compatibility, and I don't know why. But MS did the same thing with the original Xbox. Going by their track record, MS doesn't seem to care about legacy gaming.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
1) The light bar on the controller can't be turned off. Again, this could be a small thing to some, but to others like myself, who have newer tvs that are very reflective, it's a big concern. I sometimes notice the tiny red light on the dual shock 3 when playing my PS3 now. That big light bar on the dual shock 4? Oh, it's going to be noticeable. Sony had better figure this one out before launch, because it's gonna irritate a lot of people.

2) Still can't change your PSN ID name. Yes, this is a small thing to some, but for others it's a big annoyance, myself included. This was possible on the Xbox 360 the day it launched in 2005. Here we are 8 years later, and it's still not possible on PS3. Maybe it will be possible on PS4, but we have yet to hear about it.

3) Download speeds are still a problem for many of us. To put it simply, for many of us PSN download speeds are far slower than Xbox Live or Steam. Yes, some people seem to have fast speeds, maybe they're just lucky to be located near a server, but many of us experience rather mediocre speeds. I'm lucky that mine are just meh. Not terrible, but not great. Sure this could be improved with new servers, but Sony's had years now, and things really haven't changed. This is clearly something they need to work on, and I don't believe they've promised it will be anytime soon.

4) The PS3 store got redesigned for a third time, and usability regressed dramatically. To me this is a real problem and it happened so recently, and it's a pattern for Sony. Sometimes it feels like they don't learn from the past, and that concerns me for the future. This new store has a ridiculous boot up time, and using it is basically a pain in the ass. Yes, it looks prettier, but the old store was fine, and much faster.

5) Achievements are going to involve, but we've heard nothing about trophies. Like it or not achievements blew up last gen, and from everything we've heard so far, it sounds like Microsoft intends to push them even further with the XB1. Dynamic achievements, and special events where those who participate will receive a special unlock all sound like great ideas to me. Sony has said nothing on this front, and I wonder if they'll be left behind once again, trying to play catchup in this highly popular sub culture in gaming. On a side note, will trophies still have to be synced on PS4? They do on Vita, and it feels very old fashioned to have to manually do this when the 360 has been auto updating achievements in the cloud since 2005.

1. No offence to some, but while this will be annoying to a small amount of people, this is quite blatantly one of those problems being moaned about by those with disfavour able views of Sony/PlayStation and like certain other consoles rather than people who will have legitimate problems.

2. They said they were looking into it, I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that Japan can do it already or something?

3. PSN can be slow, it never uses my full connection wired and is worse wirelessly. They did say it was something that would improve though, and seeing as MP is being charged for I would expect it to. I also don't know what magical XBL some people have, I expected perfection when I picked up my 360 considering the way it was touted, to download the latest CoD map lacks took half the time of BF3 did on the PS3 the other day.

4. The new store is fine for me, slower sure, but it is obviously a test for things to come, I expect the PS4 store to work brilliantly.

5. In all honesty this sounds like it could be awful, it is bad enough we had a generation of shitty achievements and trophies for MP that no one would get, and now they want to create dynamic achievements and give them for events? Sounds worse. Especially if they are still hidden away on a profile that no one will see.

I'm just concerned that as we saw in the previous gen, Microsoft is constantly looking forward, and always ensures that the basics are done right. I don't have that same confidence with Sony, and I hope they prove me wrong next gen, but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.

I am considerably worried about MS, for looking forward they seem to have no idea what they are doing with their console or direction. If the 5 problems you have are the only ones you can think of then I really am not worried, they can all be solved with updates.

zeelman

I'm worried that the PS4's online play will be just like the PS3's, but now I have to pay for it. It really needs a party chat feature, significantly improved voice chat quality, and a system that lets people play old games online several years from now. I hate how multiplayer modes get shutdown on PS3 because developers have to set up the servers themselves. (Yes, I know this happens on the 360,too, but a lot of games use Xbox Live's infrastructure to let people keep playing games online long after they've been released).

Like others have mentioned, lack of backwards compatibility is a pretty big deal. May not sound like a problem by comparison to the competition, but it will be missed.

At this point, I really hate people bringing BC into the argument.

Don't people realize that changing architectures and the jumps in complexity between gens makes this really a non-starter?

Would people prefer that Sony keep a Cell-based architecture so they can implement BC? Or would they like for the PS4 to have a price bump from having to have PS3 silicon for the sake of BC?

Ushae

Banned
The big one on that list is the network speeds, something I experience regulalrly also largely the reason I stick to LIVE and Steam for my game downloads/purchases. I can download about 8GB in 25 minutes. With PS+ being required for online play, I think this will get addressed in the next year or so.

The lightbar is something that I'm sure will get sorted eventually .. I hope.

In terms of features, not specs, I agree with the OP, X1 has the advantage here. Either Sony hasn't disclosed it's full list of features or X1 is well ahead of them in this department. But there are still some really nice things coming from Sony if you do your research OP like play as you download, touchpad control and all the usual benefits from last gen like PS+ (Library doesn't carry over though).

AndyD

aka andydumi
This shit has to fucking stop already.

In the last month I have seen more people being called out for being a viral marketer or "paid shill" about 1000x than I have in the last 6 years of me being here.

The OP is expressing his personal fucking concerns, he is not trying to convince anyone to abandon the PS4

Happens all the time around console launches. Lots of shills and also lots of false accusations. But that's what the console war is partly about.

Dunlop

The opposite for me especially if my phat PS3 was under heavy load and the blu-ray disc was spinning. The slim is much quieter from what I remember to compare with my MGS4 bundle PS3.

Was the one you had just never under load like one of the intensive games? MGS4, Uncharted, etc.

It was funny for me because I started the gen with a 360 Zephr (louder than a truck) and PS3 Phat (I couldn't tell when it was playing lol)

When I went slim with the 360 and PS3 the roles reversed (although the PS3 slim was obviously much quiter than the old 360)

Happens all the time around console launches. Lots of shills and also lots of false accusations. But that's what the console war is partly about.

Said accuser should have to pull up "evidence" at least or we can all just start flinging shit at each other

3 perhaps, but considering how much they're pushing Gaikai and DD, I would assume that it's improved.

4 is incredibly trivial.
An online store being unnecessarily irritating to navigate isn't something I'd label trivial considering how often its used. Its been a pretty consistent complaint about the PS3 for a while now.

broony

I want to be sure that it is simple and intuitive to party up with a few friends and jump from game to game together and the in game online experience is reasonably smooth.

If it sounds like that experience is possible then me and my friends/family are going to jump ship from Xbox.

I'm still curious about other stuff.

I can stream HD Netflix at the max setting on all my computers and capable devices via wifi and it's fine. I try to stream a fricking MP3 to my PS3 and it's pausing every 20 or 30 seconds. No other device that I stream music to has this issue.

You can't browse your music library while a song is playing.

Storage management is a real pain. There isn't a screen where you can see ok, all my games take up this much space, all the music, this much, all my video is this space. I can only see how much everything combined takes up or go to each individual file and see how big it is. For games, it takes anywhere from 5-30 seconds just for it to calculate how much space any one title is taking up.

Someone had a headset with the volume turned up too loud and I wanted to turn down the chat volume. The PS3 told me I'd have to exit the game in order to do that.

Still waiting on confirmation that you can store games on an external HDD.

Constant OS updates from their slow ass servers.

That stuff is minor to some but it's stuff that frustrates me every day on the PS3 but most of it is features the 360 could do back in 2006. I'm mostly going to be playing multiplat games which will probably be equal quality across both platforms. If the PS4 will be a pain in the ass all over again, I'll probably just go with the X1. Especially with the PS+ switch to demos/f2p versions of PS4 games.

I don't want to call anyone out by mistake but that OP smells MS paid for shilling,

Those issues you've listed are weak...if that's the only problems the PS4 has then its a pretty good console!

They are not weak. They are valid concerns. If you like something, you should actually be tougher in judgement on it.

brandnew

I believe that these are legitimate issues (to you at least), but are they really going to prevent you from buying a PS4. In other words, if these issues did not exist, would you definitely be buying a PS4?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Very true - no BC dwarfs anything on this list for me, by a sizable amount.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Those might be minor concerns but my major concern is Sony still having good teams on PS3 games. I am worried about sales of PS4 come next spring once the core demand is met. I see nothing to get sales moving. It reminds me a lot of the PS3 launch window. Sony was still making PS2 games and the PS3 suffered a lot. We were reminded of it yet again with the ratchet announcement. I am still on board love launches but feeling Sony really is blowing a chance to really knock it out of the park.

Westlo

5) Achievements are going to involve, but we've heard nothing about trophies. Like it or not achievements blew up last gen, and from everything we've heard so far, it sounds like Microsoft intends to push them even further with the XB1. Dynamic achievements, and special events where those who participate will receive a special unlock all sound like great ideas to me.

Holy shit that sounds terrible, thank you based cerny and/or whoever needs to be thanked for not doing that.

Chris_C

Personally, nothing on that list is a deal breaker, Sony have never sold a console that didn't end up with a ton of fantastic games that I truly loved.

An online store being unnecessarily irritating to navigate isn't something I'd label trivial considering how often its used. Its been a pretty consistent complaint about the PS3 for a while now.

If you're looking for a console whose OS is built around advertising and storefronts, then there is a competitive console that might be a better choice for you.

I think they could use a different plastic in front of the bulb and reduce the glare.

My actual concern is the first party games. I've never been one for Sony's franchises. I've owned a lot of their systems for some reason. Lol

androvsky

PS4 does not support CDs. Backward compatibility will be at the core of Gaikai.
The reason for this is that Sony learned BC was not as popular as they had hoped when the released the PS3, and the 360 sold more, and MS took its marketshare despite the fact that many people presumably had PS2s and despite that, jumped to 360.
Another reason is that the PS4's architecture is completely different from the PS3's, which was terrible to develop for. In an effort to make it possible for developers to make games faster, and more efficiently, they threw the PS3's architecture to the side and made it much more developer friendly.

The Xbox One will not feature Backward compatibility, and I don't know why. But MS did the same thing with the original Xbox. Going by their track record, MS doesn't seem to care about legacy gaming.
There was a Japanese article with Mark Cerny that clarified that while the PS4 won't play music CDs, it will read CDs. But CD reading still isn't mentioned in the specs, so that's why I say it's unclear.

Almost everything you've said applies to PS3 BC, and I understand. It was a big mess and Sony made a difficult decision. None of that applies to PS1 or PS2 BC (except obviously the popularity, since few have asked). Both of those systems can definitely be emulated on the PS4, the PS1 especially.

If Gaikai is going to run PS1 or PS2 games, they'll need to run on something, likely a PC server emulating them. And if they have that, they can put them on the PS4 without wasting server space and bandwidth for someone who could simply run the games locally. They should still have them on Gaikai for the all-access library, but like I said, it's a waste for BC.

Yeah, same here. I'm worried Sony hasn't said anything about that, and nobody's asked them (journalists, I mean, I've sent a couple unanswered tweets already). Assuming the drive can actually read CDs (which is still a touch unclear), there should be nothing stopping them from emulating the PS1 and PS2 discs just fine. I don't even care if PS2 games aren't there at launch, but there needs to be a definitive answer.

Well, there is also the hurdle of, I don't know... coding the emulator?

Yeah, the PS4 probably has enough power to emulate PS2, but the effort needs to be put into the software for it. Emulators are not trivial tasks, simple as that.

I still have hopes that they release some sort of "add-on" for this stuff. I remember a Sony patent from a couple years ago that was about a small USB add-on that would have something like the partial hardware that the PS3 originally had to provide BC.

Now that they finally axed the PS2 production, I would hope something like this comes out.

1. That can be an issue for you if the lightbar is too bright. But then again, it is a light bar, it won't be as bright as the lights on the dual shock 3. Sony may address this over time as well if it proves to be an actual problem.
2.That may be an issue for some people indeed. But I feel like it may help in identifying people with bad behaviour on the network. Again, Sony may decide to address this issue, we do not know.
3. This should not be a concern. The PS4's network functionality is entirely different from the PS3. An added reason why there is a paywall for online play, is to be able to provide better servers.
4. See number 3.
5. A lot of people out there are not fond of achievements/trophies. But for those who are, I can indeed see why there would be a need for them to evolve.

I don't know, these issues you highlight seem to stem from misinformation more than anything. I can definitely see why 1 and 5 might be an issue though. 5 especially. If you believe issue number 5 to be important enough for you to purchase the Xbox One over the PS4, then yea, I would definitely recommend you to buy the Xb1. Outside of issue 5, I don't see why you would be willing to buy the Xbox One over the PS4, given that there is a $100 price difference and considerable GFX capability favouring the PS4 over the XBoxOne.

I think this isn't something you'd see from any normal person though. All the entertainment stuff and sports stuff is a reason to buy an XB1. To this day you still can't watch HBO Go on a PS3. The Kinect for me is a reason to buy an Xbox One. The ability to walk into a room and say Xbox On and instantly be signed into is reason to buy an XB1. The ability for my friend to pick up a controller and instantly be signed in is a reason to buy an XB1. The ability for us splitscreen to adjust to our position in the room is a reason to buy an XB1. The Kinect itself is a plus for me and a lot of other people. An OS that's smooth and that I can use with my voice is a reason to buy an XB1. The fact that the XB1 is the first console where developers can use voice in their games competently is a reason to buy an XB1.

That's why I said if Microsoft drops the Kinect I'd buy a PS4. They'd be bending to people who have no vision at all for the future and would have a potentially weaker game console. Personally I'm buying a PS4 first because its the one I can afford and this generation I want both consoles exclusives. But to say there's no reason to buy the XB1 is just supremely ignorant to the fact that not everyone holds your opinion.

I wont be following Sony into the digital future until that download speed problem is solved.......for everyone.

It makes no sense that a download that takes 15 minutes on the 360 can take 2-3 hours minimum on the PS3.

Joni

I find it rather annoying that when I haven't played a game for a while on my PS3. I need to wait a while before it has downloaded and installed of newest patches (multiple). The 360 does this way faster, you only need to download the latest patch and you can start the game in a matter of seconds.
So yeah, it is a legitimate complaint.
But you're still downloading all the patches. There are two major differences: you don't see you're downloading multiple patches, and the size limit Microsoft used to have on patches. Patching PS3 games lasts longer because the patches are usually bigger.

coldfoot

Banned
Trophies as a system is already better than Achievements, the crappy PS3 implementation notwithstanding. You get a level like RPG and also different levels of trophies that are counted separately, and a platinum trophy that is only obtained by getting all other trophies. In the 360, there is no incentive for you to strive for the difficult 50 point achievement of a 950/1000 game vs. a 50 point achievement in a 0/1000 game, whereas the Trophy system gives you a platinum in the former case.

AshiusX

Banned
None of the nuisances you have listed don't really bother me. The one thing preventing me from purchasing a PS4 at launch is software. I feel as if there is no game yet urging me to run out to buy a PS4. I will wait a year before I make the purchase.

Dunlop

If you're looking for a console whose OS is built around advertising and storefronts, then there is a competitive console that might be a better choice for you.

Or rather a competitor who put more foresight into the importance of the OS.

The PS3 storefront since the upgrade is absolutely terrible, but I believe it is a hardware restriction so not much they can do about it. Also why there have been pretty much no major revisions to the OS.

It is easy to workaround (SEN) but hopefully Sony puts a little more thought in future expandability to the OS on the PS4

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Those might be minor concerns but my major concern is Sony still having good teams on PS3 games. I am worried about sales of PS4 come next spring once the core demand is met. I see nothing to get sales moving. It reminds me a lot of the PS3 launch window. Sony was still making PS2 games and the PS3 suffered a lot. We were reminded of it yet again with the ratchet announcement. I am still on board love launches but feeling Sony really is blowing a chance to really knock it out of the park.
Sony has enough studios with second teams now that there should be a good balance going into latter half of 2014. 3rd party multiplats and some help from indies should probably be enough to get them through the first 6-9 month stretch with only a relative few 1st party releases during that time.

Top Bottom