• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

First 4 issues are of some concern but far less in my mind then on other systems

The not being able to change your PSN is so so dumb

PSN download speeds are annoying but can live with

Light bar at least can be easily dealt with by physical means if necessary, obviously not my desired solution

Caayn

I don't get this complaint. On the PS3 the download manager starts one process to download the five of them. It wouldn't change anything if they hid the fact there are five patches.
I find it rather annoying that when I haven't played a game for a while on my PS3. I need to wait a while before it has downloaded and installed of newest patches (multiple). The 360 does this way faster, you only need to download the latest patch and you can start the game in a matter of seconds.
So yeah, it is a legitimate complaint.
Everything is in the background. If you watched the feb reveal you would have heard them explain it.
Thanks for the answer. After reading it back it was a stupid question of mine. But does this count for patches as well?

Where does the PS4 cost 400 Euros?

Uhm?
price.png

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
How is PSN speed a trivial complaint? With my original PS3, which was hooked in with a wired connection the download speeds were abysmal, never had problems with XBL or Steam. With the BC solution being streaming content, and the increasing ability to go digital PSN speed is a major concern.

BigDug13

I find it rather annoying that when I haven't played a game for a while on my PS3. I need to wait a while before it has downloaded and installed of newest patches (multiple). The 360 does this way faster, you only need to download the latest patch and you can start the game in a matter of seconds.
So yeah, it is a legitimate complaint.
Thanks for the answer. After reading it back it was a stupid question of mine. But does this count for patches as well?

But they confirmed that the scheduled updates isn't pay walled on PS4 so all those patches should periodically update on their own at whatever late night time you have set up.

muddream

Banned
If these things trouble you more paying twice as much for a ad-ridden online service and paying $100 extra for a weaker console with weaker 1st party devs from a company who just tried to fuck you over on used games, well, let's just say you probably alphabetically order apps.

I don't understand why you should be able to change user IDs. That's way too messy to put up with from the platform holders point of view. Maybe they should make it like steams where you have a community name and a account name vs what XBL is doing.

The light bar thing is pretty irrelevant to me.

But yeah PSN is slow as dirt to download from. The thing is, the main way they would probably fix that is forcing traffic through regional data centers. Somehow I fear that would eliminate this cross regional access we get to content, unless Sony is just that awesome to host foreign content in different regions, which I doubt.

If achievements for buying a console or watching a tv show is the future of achievements i hope that Sony stays firmly rooted in the past.

And holy hyperbole about 'everything they get right they do something wrong.'

Plus: The psn is open to anyone to self publish. Minus: The redesign on a 6 year old system is slow. Ah fuck it, totally a wash!

I guess it's also worth pointing out that whenever they show anything from the ui it looks nothing like the ps3 storefront....

grow up

On topic,

My biggest concern is noise, I couldn't give a flying fuck how the box that goes on my AV shelf beside the other boxes look. Noise on the other hand is a big deal.

Secondary is your point about the stupid light on the controller and the inability to turn it off at the OS level. I do not game as often as I used to. But when I do it is beer in hand, lights off in my basement for the most immersion possible. I have a reflective screen on my plasma and this will definitely be noticeable. I'm hoping they patch this in before going live

I know that noise can be a concern, but modern laptops with more power hungry hardware exist in smaller form factors than this thing has and have no issue with noise. I'm not particularly worried about that aspect.

This is mostly a result of shitty WiFi hardware inside the PS3. The servers themselves are pretty fast, which you can easily verify by downloading a file directly from the PSN servers from your PC. It will be better on PS4 by default, just like on Vita.

To be clear, download speed issues with the PS3 were in my understanding confirmed to be a function of a shitty network card on the PS3 that didn't play nice with certain types of router. They've got nothing to do with PSN's network infrastructure as far as I'm aware.

I have had my PS3 wired for years now, and I've even used it with different routers. It didn't matter. The downloads were and continue to be much slower than they are on my 360.

Into

If those are the biggest problems the PS4 will face, then Sony has nothing to worry about. Except the download speed those are all minor issues.

Compare those "issues" to the issues facing their competitors and id say they got off extremely lucky

Because the first thing you want to do after buying a 400€ console is start the duck taping.

I don't understand this mentality, if you bought a $200,000 car and the seat wasn't in a comfortable position would you refuse to adjust it? It takes no more then about 15 seconds to cut off a piece of electrical tape and apply it to the lightbar. You don't have to damage anything or take apart the controller, and it wouldn't affect how you have to use it.

Feindflug

I agree that all of those are reasons to concern, light bar on DS4 is a minor complaint but it could still be annoying.

Personally all I want from the system is a patching system that's not shit (iirc they promised that), a decent store (design and download speeds as you said) and a better online infrastructure as a whole with more features but (correct me if I'm wrong) I haven't seen Sony mentioning anything about dedicated servers now that they are going to charge for online play...at least the PS4 will have cross game chat

MS will probably be the better system as far as these things go but at least being competitive this time around would be good enough for me since better multiplatform titles and greater indie support are the reasons that I'm getting the PS4 first.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maybe they should make it like steams where you have a community name and a account name vs what XBL is doing.
That is what they are doing. They showed it in the UI video. A login name, then a "real" name. And you can choose to show your real name vs. login name to all/some/none.

Marleyman

Banned
If those are the biggest problems the PS4 will face, then Sony has nothing to worry about. Except the download speed those are all minor issues.

Compare those "issues" to the issues facing their competitors and id say they got off extremely lucky

Download speeds should be a big concern. What issues do the others have comparable to that? Just curious.

zakislam

That controller light plastered on the top will be annoying. Why on earth why would they not allow that to be turned off?

I also hope they don't release tons of firmware updates. Every time I leave my PS3 for a few weeks and turn it on, it's never failed to give me a mandatory firmware update.

How is PSN speed a trivial complaint? With my original PS3, which was hooked in with a wired connection the download speeds were abysmal, never had problems with XBL or Steam. With the BC solution being streaming content, and the increasing ability to go digital PSN speed is a major concern.

The issue isn't PSN. Vita speeds are fine,

Have you ever tried putting your PS3 in your routers' DMZ? Usually solves the issues. D/l speeds have always been an issue with the PS3s networking hw. Nothing to do with PSN infrastructure. Thus will not affect the PS4

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I have had my PS3 wired for years now, and I've even used it with different routers. It didn't matter. The downloads were and continue to be much slower than they are on my 360.

The PS4's network will not be the same as the PS3's. There is a paywall now, its partially there for better servers.

Thinking about it many of these concerns have been addressed by the Vita.

Downloads seem quicker.
Trophy syncing is faster.
Game installs are also more swift.
The OS and Store have more snap too.

The Go Play feature on PS4 suggests the install is concurrent with the download rather than a seperate procedure.

A lot of us have been very excited about what we've seen from the PS4 so far. The most powerful next gen console by a good margin, a price $100 lower than the XB1, and no camera required to use the console.

However, when considering which console I buy this fall, I wanted to look at the big picture for a moment. To consider every aspect of these new consoles, and how I expect things to actually play out when owning one.
but I believe there are already early warning signs that things may not be as blissful as some are expecting come launch.

The positives faaar outweigh those trivial problems.

1. You make it sound like the controller is an actual flashlight
flashlight.gif

Devs can turn it off in their games.
2. Sony should let us change our PSN IDs, but its not a big of an annoyance to change my mind about the PS4.
3. PSN download speeds should be faster on PS4. Sony mentionned PS+ is there to cover the infrastructure costs.
4. The Store will be much faster on PS4, this is just obvious. It will be integrated in the OS instead of an app. And it just makes sense, Sony's been touting immediacy since the reveal.
5. Dynamic achievements? You mean like Steam where you get badges for participating in sales and stuff? Not really a feature I would miss.

Doesn't seem that problematic that one would consider paying 100 bucks more for the competitor.

Dunlop

I know that noise can be a concern, but modern laptops with more power hungry hardware exist in smaller form factors than this thing has and have no issue with noise. I'm not particularly worried about that aspect.

I agree but the progression of my Phat PS3 (whisper Quiet) to my Slim PS3 (quite noticeably loud) makes me concerned that they are sacrificing sound suppression for form factor

never seen or heard the last PS3 model abomination

Footos22

I never sync my trophies. Ps+ does that for me. And on vita it's over in just a couple of seconds. They also pop instantly when you get one.unlike ps3's big delay. Ps4 will be much more like vita then ps3 when it comes to being streamlined and quick.

Brera

Banned
I don't want to call anyone out by mistake but that OP smells MS paid for shilling,

Those issues you've listed are weak...if that's the only problems the PS4 has then its a pretty good console!

Did you ever try putting your PS3 in your router's DMZ?

Even a device connected by a wired connection will still sit behind your router's firewall. The issue is with the PS3's networking hw, not PSN.

Do you have a Vita?

Only one I even remotely care about is being able to change the PSN ID name.

And it would be GREAT if we could turn sub accounts into full accounts so my wife can stop being a sub account.

Come on, Sony!

Duster

I'm still a little concerned about what (if any) advertising they'll have and how hard they'll push the social elements.

... we are transitioning to a friends network based on real world friends. We'll keep around the alias and icon used in today's multiplayer matches. These are great to have when anonymity is important. But most of the new social dimension to PS4 will be interacting with friends using real names and profile pictures most likely seeded from your existing social network."

This makes it sound like they'll have some kind of deal with facebook and that's likely to include advertising, however maybe it really is just a way of logging in, at this point who knows?

Sure they've gone out their way to say such things aren't compulsory but if advertising is a part of the deal you're unlikely to get a blank space where the ad should be.
It could also lead to exclusive DLC in exchange for facebook likes to encourage people to opt-in.

But at this point it's not a massive concern, just a potential issue. At every step they've gone out of their way to reassure us that we can ignore such features so I'm hopeful, they've also said no online passes on a paid service so hopefully that will extend to no advertising on paid services.

Caayn

Yeah, especially #5.

Achievements evolving? More like evolving to include non-game shit like day1 and TV garbage.

Trophies has always been superior.
It depends on personal preferences on what is better. Neither Trophies nor Achievements is the one and only answer. Also MS has already announced that Achievements that are not part of a game, do not count towards your gamerscore.

But they confirmed that the scheduled updates isn't pay walled on PS4 so all those patches should periodically update on their own at whatever late night time you have set up.
Thank you, for the answer.

kadotsu

Banned
It is also fun how past mistakes are somehow bleeding over into next gen a XBOX ONE "concern" list would look like this:

1) RRoD we all know MS can't do heat management. The XBOX ONE could have a 40% failure rate at launch and the problem could be present until the first redesign.
2) 100$ Gold. MS increased the price of Gold in the 360 generation they'll increase it again
3) UI gets slower with each redesign. It happened on 360 it'll happen on XBOX ONE.

All points are of course stupid because they extrapolate the current worst of a company and comparing it against an extrapolated best of an other. There will be stuff that sucks about the PS4 but we'll only know after the console has released. Especially stuff about the network, OS and other detailed stuff.

androvsky

The thingsi n the OP are neither that bad or dont bother me.
The things I am worried about are however:

1. PS1 backwards compatability. is it supported atall? ie my digital versions? my disks? or just gaikai?
2. Same as above but for PS2.

Yeah, same here. I'm worried Sony hasn't said anything about that, and nobody's asked them (journalists, I mean, I've sent a couple unanswered tweets already). Assuming the drive can actually read CDs (which is still a touch unclear), there should be nothing stopping them from emulating the PS1 and PS2 discs just fine. I don't even care if PS2 games aren't there at launch, but there needs to be a definitive answer.

Dunlop

I don't want to call anyone out by mistake but that OP smells MS paid for shilling,

This shit has to fucking stop already.

In the last month I have seen more people being called out for being a viral marketer or "paid shill" about 1000x than I have in the last 6 years of me being here.

The OP is expressing his personal fucking concerns, he is not trying to convince anyone to abandon the PS4

Top Bottom