• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

playXray

You would always reserve more resources than you need at launch, because you can reduce the reserve whenever you want, but you can never increase it. Once you have a better sense of what resources the OS will need over the full lifetime of the console, then you can carefully start lowering the amount of reserved resources.

The secret is in the sauce.... time too optimize after release of PS4

Because the OS was not optimized to use 1 core only I guess... not it is.

There is no cost. Console makers are usually very conservative with giving HW access to devs at launch, opting to better give them "safe things" [at launch devs are happy to play with any new and shiny stuff just so they can forget the hardship of end-of-generation optimisation for old hardware] and leave a lot of space for themselves to evolve their OS/services. As time goes by, some of that reserve is released to the devs . After 2 years Sony probably now knows to the full extent how their OS partition will evolve in upcoming years. I presume the last big OS service they needed to make sure it runs great is all the PSVR stuff.

Great answers guys, thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned
Could this help with AF? Or not at all?

This will not help with that.

AF is almost free at PC because GPU has its own dedicated line to fast VRAM. On consoles, CPU and GPU are together sharing pipeline to unified RAM, so devs are hesitant to introduce a lot of bandwith-heavy processes even though hardware is more than able to produce great AF.

JPS Kai

If it's anything like the stealth Vita revisions (Danganronpa AE), it may prevent you from opening certain OS functions, such as Trophies or Party Chat.

A decent, albeit awkward trade off for performance boosts.

Sounds good, but I doubt devs were making fantastic use of 6 cores. Multithreading games is tricky, single-core performance is still what matters most.

PS4 is a beast.

Having a CPU that's significantly worse than what's in today's cellphones is a "beast" now?

GnawtyDog

Banned
BtNpKqt.gif

So is it now two more cores than XB1? I read Durante's post where he said PS4 had one core more unlocked and XB1 had a 10% higher clock rate, so that the CPU's are pretty even.

DieH@rd

Banned
20% power boost for PS4 confirmed.

That may not be the case. Xbone's 7th core was only partially given to game devs. The amount that they can access varies from moment to moment, mostly hovering at around 60-80%.

http://gamingbolt.com/Xbox-one-7th-...e-usage-esram-was-not-an-issue-larian-studios
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...es-more-cpu-power-to-xbox-one-developers-blog

What about that 8th core?

They will never give acces to that. That core is reserved for boot, OS and all the security processing.

Hopefully they get the firmware team on the RAM reductions too like how they did PS3. Didn't PS3 go from 120MB reserved for the OS to like 40MB after a few years?

I'm sure that MS and Sony over-provisioned memory since devs weren't really demanding more than 5GB at launch anyway. That way they can add whatever features they didn't plan from the beginning since they can give devs more RAM later on, but they can't take RAM away.

I think it's disingenuous to say MS boasted of the 7th core in order to gain good PR. Reports/leaks based on SDK documentation from last year are where news outlets got the story of the 7th core on Xbox One, not from MS themselves. It wasn't the grand PR move you're trying assert.

n0razi

Only thing im worried about: The problem with the PS4 is thermal throttling especially the original revisions... mine sounds like a hairdryer already. The xb1 has much better cooling.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh snap, this should help open world games performance wise. It will help in other ways as well, of course.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Very nice, let's get that OS RAM reserve reduced as well.

This wont happen, in all likelyhood. They partitioned it off in the first place so that they'd have fewer worries about RAM usage as they add more functionality to the OS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The secret sauce behind PS2 emulation, no doubt.

Perhaps accessing the 8th will allow PSP emulation.

Lol. More power is always welcome

Holy crap, not a bad thought to be honest!

Eh. As "pathetic weak-ass mobile shit" as the PS4 CPU is (that's what we usually hear from the PC people, paraphrased), I'm pretty sure it can easily do PS2 emulation on 6 cores. Probably on 1 core if the emulator is well-written.

Elandyll

Banned
Could this help with AF? Or not at all?
AF is not a hardware or SDK problem, if you are referencing to the few titles that had an AF problem on PS4, it was strictly a dev problem, which in many cases was solved by a patch with no perf impact.

I expect they'll free more Ram once they are confident they know exactly what they'll need for future features.

khaaan

Does that mean I should replace the thermal paste sooner rather than later?

Edit: Let's be real, that's too much work for me. I'm probably just going to hold onto mine until there's some trade in deal towards a hypothetical PS4 Slim. Or if Japan gets some kind of fun LE.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is it realistic to expect an overclock ? It happened in the past.

Sony is not forced into making sudden changes. I think the biggest drive for giving devs more performance will be PSVR. For example "if PSVR app is running = shutdown/pause X OS services and open up some CPU/Memory".

Top Bottom