• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

Oppo

Fallout 4 is dropping to 20 FPS! RELEASE THE SEVENTH CORE

(Shu cracks staff upon altar. A mighty roar is heard)

(Shu cracks staff upon altar. A mighty roar is heard)

Bethesda haven't even acknowledged the existence of any performance issues. Who knows if they even realize they have an extra core available to them.

DieH@rd

Banned
Every engine this gen is highly multithreaded, so I presume devs will have little trouble adapting to the new CPU resorces.

FranXico

Bethesda haven't even acknowledged the existence of any performance issues. Who knows if they even realize they have an extra core available to them.

Only half-joking, you could take a 256 core CPU and Bethesda's game engine would still run with performance issues there.

don't do it sony, you'll wake the beast, you keep this arms race up and Microsoft will unleash that second GPU core it has hidden away for 2016!

Oppo

I know, I was just having a laugh about the idea that Sony would save a CPU core for whenever the new Bethesda game shipped, knowing that they'd need it ;)

(ridiculous, of course.)

vpance

Is it realistic to expect an overclock ? It happened in the past.

Whether it's likely or not, they would wait until a new slim version to be available on the market first before doing it. That way if people's systems start dying faster than usual, they won't feel too bad about upgrading to a PS4 slim.. $$

Only half-joking, you could take a 256 core CPU and Bethesda's game engine would still run with performance issues there.

Well you're not joking at all, that's very much true. You can't throw more cores at an antiquated game engine and expect them to do anything. Even modern bleeding-edge engines have a hard time doing anything useful with much more than 4 cores. We're only just starting to see a tangible benefit from having >4 threads in video games.

AmFreak

No.
What happened in the past was an underclock to save battery power.
You can only up the clock if you planned for it from the start and there is no reason for Sony to ship an underclocked cpu.

migh_and_highty

Neo Member
Doesn't seem Sony like to boast about things which do not really affect the end user. If they can maintain the speed of ps4 os with a 7th core, then effing hell team ICE you're wizards! <3 cerny

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good work Sony. Now let's get a 10% overclock :)

These resources are only being reallocated to gaming from OS usage. It has nothing to do with overclocking, which probably isn't supported. Hardware can't be changed in that manner unless supported beforehand like PSP's CPU.

So RAM amount allocated to games would be siphoned from what the OS is using already, its not adding more RAM somehow. Although PS4 already has about 10x the RAM of the PS3 for gaming already, i don't think RAM is a problem for these consoles, textures and world size are frequently at the high or maximum setting of PC games.

4k @ 60 fps in all (except maybe for open world) games as a standard should be a possibility now...no more excuses Sony / 3Rd party devs.

Or else I trade in ps4 for the soon to be super powerful (with the direct x upgrade) xbox one.

FranXico

No.
You can only up the clock if you planned for it from the start and there is no reason for Sony to ship an underclocked cpu.

Yes, I remember that the PSP shipped with the CPU configured to run at a lower clock speed by software, and a later firmware and SDK update allowed games to disable that.
I believe GoW:CoO was the first game to use that capability. The battery life was noticeably shorter when playing that game for extended periods of time.

If one wishes to speculate, it could be possible that the PS4 also shipped with a slightly underclocked CPU to improve manufacturing yields, but less likely.

Inuhanyou

Wonder if this will be enough to push the PS4 ahead in general performance over the i3/750 ti setup that its often compared with on the PC side of things. My understanding is that the CPU was the limiting factor for the PS4 there in performance, with the Radeon 7850 ish GPU in the PS4 being faster than the 750 Ti.

The i3 is still stronger than 8 Jaguar cores at those clock speeds.

But this will definitely help in CPU limited scenarios...

PS4:
gear-second-o.gif

actual footage

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Eh. As "pathetic weak-ass mobile shit" as the PS4 CPU is (that's what we usually hear from the PC people, paraphrased), I'm pretty sure it can easily do PS2 emulation on 6 cores. Probably on 1 core if the emulator is well-written.

Yeah, I'm joking.

Except that I really would love to see PSP emulation, especially since VitaTV/PSTV was stillborn. I don't actually think an 8th core is required for that, either

EDIT
Random, ass-kicking GIF
LdiIgr.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Good news. I always wondered why the PS4 needs to reserve two entire cores for the little that it seems to do in the background. Especially given that a single Jaguar core at 1.6Ghz likely outperforms many mobile devices who do much more with less power.

FranXico

Good news. I always wondered why the PS4 needs to reserve two entire cores for the little that it seems to do in the background. Especially given that a single Jaguar core at 1.6Ghz likely outperforms many mobile devices who do much more with less power.

The RAM reserve also is overkill IMHO, but it will probably take quite a bit longer in the generation until that's reduced.

ElTorro

The RAM reserve also is overkill IMHO, but it will probably take quite a bit longer in the generation until that's reduced.

Yeah, that seems excessive too. But then again, they might have changed that too already.

Averon

Yeah, that seems excessive too. But then again, they might have changed that too already.

My guess is that Sony wanted to be extra cautious this gen in terms of ram for the OS. They got burned last gen by not having enough RAM reserved for the PS3's OS for extra functionality. Didn't want a repeat of that.

This wont happen, in all likelyhood. They partitioned it off in the first place so that they'd have fewer worries about RAM usage as they add more functionality to the OS.

so does this mean Sony is basically done with adding big features to the OS if they're giving this up to developers?

is it easy for developers to go back at update games in this manner? I always thought that adding a core mid/post-development meant a redesign if they wanted to use it.

True Fire

4k @ 60 fps in all (except maybe for open world) games as a standard should be a possibility now...no more excuses Sony / 3Rd party devs.

Or else I trade in ps4 for the soon to be super powerful (with the direct x upgrade) xbox one.

Troll post? Your standards are way too high for console gaming.

Inuhanyou

My guess is that Sony wanted to be extra cautious this gen in terms of ram for the OS. They got burned last gen by not having enough RAM reserved for the PS3's OS for etra functionality. Didn't want a repeat of that.

Its also the case that they may have calculated how much RAM they can even use directly for gaming applications, and found over 5GB not a good trade off.

Memory cache is good, but that's basically the only use once you run out of bandwidth allocation, so devoting those resources to OS may make the most sense in the end, who knows

SURGEdude

It's possible. But I would not expect it anytime soon.

Possible but very unlikely. The current PS4 models already run closer to the thermal envelope than I'd like. I think their comfortable overall performance lead will mean they don't incur the risk of a sizable uptick of overheated units and the bad PR and unhappy early adopters it's likely to effect most.

Remember many people don't clean their machines or even know what thermal paste is. With the early PS4s being 2 years old that's a lot of risk to build a miniscule improvement on top of their existing advantage.

No.

I agree they won't do it, but to be fair if they decided to take the risk I'd highly doubt any significant number of their CPUs wouldn't tolerate a 5%-10% overclock. I'd imagine stuff that close to the cutoff got binned in testing.

ElTorro

No. If an upclock were passible they would have just clocked the CPU higher from the beginning. The example you are referring to is the PSP which was underclocked to preserve battery life. Something that they sacrificed later. There is no such wiggle room here.

Top Bottom