• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore Preview Thread (Mega Man meets Con Man meets Metroid Prime)

SOR5

Jet force Gemini's biggest problem was its controls. Based on the impressions, I'd say controls aren't an issue for Recore.

I should mention I've only played 20 minutes of JFG in Rare Replay at a friends house.

Ooooh damn, but did you enable the new dual analogue controls they patched in for JFG? The feel goes straight from:

giphy.gif

to

402916c61f.gif

Strootman

Honestly the fact that the game is out in just one month and they only showed one little gameplay makes me worry about the quality.

I hope it turns out great.

I think this games graphics would be SOOO much better if it was cell shaded but I'm still going to buy this cause it's a budget title

I have to be honest, after the E3 footage I was ready to give up on this. As in not buying it right away. After the trailer last year I was excited and the gameplay really didn't reflect what I had been expecting but this all sounds rather interesting. One thing I really did not like how odd it looks when the character was moving around, as if frames were missing when she turns around. It also looks so damn fast and that's not what I had expected. But that's my own fault. I'll wait and see with this one though.

SOR5

For people wanting to know the longevity of the game, this is the best I could find from Mark Pacini

“I’m horrible at gameplay hours. With the first Metroid I said it was going to be eight hours and it ended up being something like 24. I think we’ve put a lot of value into this game, though. It’s the proper length of time for the adventure, the story we’re trying to tell. Take that with a grain of salt, knowing I’m horrible at estimates. It’s eight hours, and take that with a warning”.

Rakuyo

Neo Member
Thanks for this thread!
One of the reasons why I got myself a Xbox One.
I am really looking forward to this game and hope it delivers!

NEO0MJ

o_O
Holy...
ReCore just got way way waaay more interesting. Pretty much the key people who made the Metroid Prime serie so awesome. Everyone loved Halo back then but I always thought Metroid Prime was the better game and more impressive tech-wise too.

Don't get too excited. Retro was more than just those three and since leaving Retro and founding Armature none of their projects came through and they've been mostly a port-house. Their first original game, Arkham Origins Blackgate, was pretty meh and boring. While I'm hoping this game is good I'm being cautious as well.

Speely

Banned
Everything about this game seems like something I need in my life. The combat looks SO fun, and the overall design looks tits. Thanks for the compilation of previews. Some great info in there.

Played the demo at Comic-Con and didn't have fun. The shooting felt weak and was very repetitive. Enemies were uninteresting bullet sponges. Spent literally 2 minutes locked onto an enemy holding the fire button and strafing.

You were playing it wrong then, you have to change the color of your gun (red, blue, yellow, white) to match the enemy's color in order to do more damage. I played it at E3 and was having tons of fun, shooting, switching my guns on the fly, dodging, charging up shots for bigger damage, switching out mech buddies and using their abilities, all while being surrounded by enemies. The demo was hectic and a blast to play.

TheJoRu

Sounds good. I've had this game on my radar for a while now, not much waiting left now. Performance concerns are, well...concerning, but I'll be playing this on a fairly powerful PC (i5-6500 with GTX 1060) so hopefully that version is good enough to give me some decent performance.

Noobcraft

I got a free copy of Banjo Kazooie N&B for preordering this without actually preordering it. I'll probably get it anyways because I dig 3D platformers.

Jawmuncher

Sounds good. I've had this game on my radar for a while now, not much waiting left now. Performance concerns are, well...concerning, but I'll be playing this on a fairly powerful PC (i5-6500 with GTX 1060) so hopefully that version is good enough to give me some decent performance.

So long as the port is good that should hopefully be more than enough for a 1080p 60fps experience. Its why I went digital as well.

mjc

I'm looking forward to this, and I applaud MS offering it at a lower price to try and get more people interested.

Chris1

I'm still surprised people were down on the gameplay shown at E3.
I don't get it either. The animations weren't good and the graphics are nothing to write home about but for $40 they're not bad, if it was $60 then yeah, I'd be complaining too but at $40 I can overlook those issues easily if the game itself is fun.

I think a lot of the people that were complaining about it just expected something different.. something more explore heavy, what we saw at E3 looked nothing like what I expected it to but I still think it looks really fun and barring disastrous reviews I'm in day 1.

jbug617

Banned
New preview from IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08...ot-duds?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ReCore’s showfloor demo at Gamescom tossed me into fast-paced firefights against tough robot enemies. The tough foes are strong and a few mistakes can quickly lead to Joule’s death. This is especially true in a later section where you have to battle several enemies while sections of the floor light on fire. If that sounds like a lot, well, honestly it can be. Embarrassingly, I died twice even though I finished a similar demo at E3 and knew what to expect. Regardless, once you get the hang of things it’s quite manageable.

So far ReCore is looking much sharper than it did in June, too. The demo we played today felt much more polished, with responsive controls, better graphics, and improved lighting. Microsoft had the PC version on hand and it looked sharper than the Xbox One version, as expected. Regardless of which platform you decide to play ReCore on, it’s adrenaline-infused gunfights should keep you engaged and happily harvesting parts. And there’s so much that we still don’t know about ReCore. Like, how does crafting actually work? What types of frames can Joule build for your AI companions? The tight controls and gunplay in ReCore look and feel great so far. We’ll just have to wait for Microsoft to shed more light on this mysterious Xbox game

SOR5

had my finger right on the button and was about to post this preview, thanks. looks like Armatures putting in all the polish they can

My core companions held their own in battle, and it gave me became a liberating sense of freedom because I could focus fire on my foes while they helpfully picked away at the right time. Fighting robots allowed them to store up energy I could trigger into a devastating ultimate attack. In ReCore, players constantly swap between four colored ammo types using the d-pad. The goal is to match the ammo color with the enemy’s to begin taking down its health. If you companion’s color matches the enemy, it’s time to dole out big damage. You can swap out an AI friend, but you have to wait until a timer runs out before you can swap it for another.

sounds like Ikaruga on legs

BluWacky

I think we have a winner of the "least convincing double jump in games" award here!

This doesn't look as Metroid-y as I had hoped from the tag line (I really can't get enough of Metroidvania style games. It's a sickness, I know, but I just love them. I've got Song of the Deep, Headlander and AM2R on the go at the moment...). Consider my excitement slightly tempered.

SOR5

Recore Collectors Figure on display
KI and Halo seen below, cool seeing MS' first party finally getting that shot in the arm
Hoping more like Scalebound, Ori, Sea of Thieves, Phantom Dust, Battletoads and Crackdown get love

SOR5

IGN Recore Dev interview with Inafune and Joseph Staten right here

also an interview with Windows Central

With bot assembly, Joule can upgrade her weapon and combat level, but the corebots have much deeper levels of customization, you can upgrade their core, the "souls" of the robots and add additional combat and aesthetic upgrades.

Boss battles will feel arcade-y and the world is a large explorable hub with dungeons serving as the main juicy parts where you'll find the concentrated design of platforming and shooting, also like Zelda you need that 'right item' to progress through the world. Far Eden in a way is a little bit like desert sci-fi Hyrule.

Some excerpts of the Windows Central interview you guys might like

Jez: A lot of the enemies we've seen so far are on the smaller side. Can we expect bigger enemies? Big boss fights?

Inafune: Absolutely. I think there's definitely an old-school arcade-style element to this game. There are bosses made up of different parts, for example. I think that's definitely a large part of the game as you progress through the story.

Jez: On the dungeon front, are there optional dungeons? Or is it quite linear how you progress through the world? Will there be secret dungeons, secret bosses and that sort of thing?

Joseph: I'll just say without ruining the surprise that if you're a fan of Metroid and the idea that there are places in the world that you just can't get to right away. They're teasing you, tantalizing you. "If I just had the right thing to get up high to get to that door I could go and explore it." Recore is the exact same way. There are absolutely places in the world that you'll see early, that you won't be able to get to, that you'll be able to come back to later.

Jez: When I played the demo, I was getting loot drops and so on. Could you tell us more about what those are for?

Joseph: So when you're playing the game, you probably saw that you're picking up parts, materials, spider optics and beast knuckles and all of these parts that fall off the Corebots. The system is a blueprint system. So you'll have a recipe, ingredients, parts, and as you travel around the world, you're able to collect them and then make these blueprints into frame pieces for your Corebots.

You can upgrade the look of your dog, the look of the spider, the look of your beast. It's not just the look either, they have combat properties as well, stat changes. So Mack is a good example, you can find an armor set that will turn the normal Mack dog into a wolfish, pointed-snout type, or a big, heavy bulldog, and some other more exotic things too.

As a player in combat, you're basically deciding two things when killing an enemy. Do you want to destroy them into parts that you can use to make new frame parts for your Corebots? Or do you want to pull out their core, and combine them with your friendly Corebots to increase their power?

So that's really the basics of the loot system. You're either pulling out cores to increase your friendly Corebots' base stats, or you're breaking enemies down into parts to upgrade your armor.

It's a really nice, deep system that's layered on top of this action platforming, and there are definitely places in the world that are all about exploring, grinding, getting those really high-powered armor sets for your Corebots so you can tackle more difficult dungeons or enemies.

You'll run into enemies fairly early on in the game that will be fairly higher level than you. They will be impossible to take down until you upgrade your Corebots.

Jez: I did talk to Armature Studios' Mark Pacini about ReCore's lower price point, but I wondered if you could provide any insight on the mentality when it came to the decision to price it lower than a typical big game release.

Inafune: So the price point was decided very early on in collaboration with Microsoft. The reason they did that strategic price point was to try to appeal to a much wider audience. Microsoft already has a wide library of mature rated games that are for the super-hardcore and the older target audience. But with ReCore, what we're trying to do is make something a little lighter, it has a teen rating, but it still has a lot to offer fans from all sorts of audiences.

Jez: Could you estimate roughly how long ReCore will take to complete? And how much of that time will be split up between narrative, combat, puzzling and so on.

Inafune: So the game takes around eight to ten hours for our playtesters who know the direct path, start to finish. That doesn't include exploring, finding the extras, easter eggs and so on.

So I would certainly say in terms of how everything is oriented, ReCore leans much more heavily towards action – but that doesn't mean to say puzzling and story takes a back seat. I would probably place it at around two-thirds action, with puzzling and storytelling taking up around one-third. A lot of those gameplay aspects are integrated seamlessly, story elements will show up through segments even in combat, with voice overs.

Jez: Could ReCore evolve into a franchise as big as Halo one day? I feel that it represents a unique place in the Xbox One line-up, and with Nintendo sitting on the Metroid franchise you could be filling a gap in a lot of people's hearts with ReCore. Is it designed with sequels in mind? Or will ReCore just be a one-shot?

Joseph: Well, when we made Halo 1 at Bungie we didn't know we were going to get to do a sequel. We wanted to get the best game possible onto the disc, and then hope people enjoyed it. We earned a sequel. Every game in the global publishing portfolio – whether it's ReCore, or Crackdown or Scalebound – we have aspirations and hopes that they can go on and grow into 'big boy' franchises like Gears, Forza or Halo. But you have to earn that success. You have to build an audience.

We've approached ReCore in the same way that we approached the Halo games: let's put as much quality in there as we can, let's attract as broad of an audience as possible, and let's do our best to earn a sequel. If we do? That's awesome. We certainly have ideas on where we want to take the story, but you never really know. But I think ReCore is a pretty special game, I love the way it plays, I hope people enjoy it.

Top Bottom