• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore Preview Thread (Mega Man meets Con Man meets Metroid Prime)

InfernoNR

*snip*
With bot assembly, Joule can upgrade her weapon and combat level, but the corebots have much deeper levels of customization, you can upgrade their core, the "souls" of the robots and add additional combat and aesthetic upgrades.
*snip*

Damn. I didn't realize there was so much customization in this. This is now on my radar

SOR5

How ReCore Is Like Mega Man and Metroid | Gamescom 2016

According to the interview, Recore is purposefully designed to be a mash-up of old great franchises brought into the modern era, action-platformer at heart, with world exploration and an RPG system.

The core, the ball is the actual "dog" characters themself. The robotic limbs and gadgets are just addons, effectively someone like Mack is just a round blue cheerful ball.

and from hardcoregamer.com

It appears that ReCore, somewhat appropriately, is choosing to sell itself based mainly on its core elements. Considering that the combat looks frantic and fun, the robot sidekicks are charming and look like they’ll be a hoot to pay with, and the Ikaruga-style color-matching combat seems like a blast, it’s a smart, simple and effective move to only show what you need. That said, it definitely does feel like at least a little more needs to be seen to properly convince people of ReCore’s true potential, if only to to reassure those expecting the next Metroid Prime that we truly will be getting something that can match it in terms of quality.

But even if ReCore ends up being no Metroid Prime, it still looks like it could end up being an amazing game and a promising new IP indeed, one we highly look forward to when it comes out on September 13. But the challenge to properly get modern gamers attracted to it is there, so here’s hoping Joule’s adventures overcome them.

SOR5

WCCFTech: http://wccftech.com/recore-gamescom-2016-handson-mega-man-samus-child-prodigy/

What’s truly surprising about ReCore is how everything flows together and how none of the mechanics feel extraneous to the experience nor the universe. Following the presentation, I had the chance to play the game for a few minutes, and I couldn’t help but notice how smooth the whole experience is, and how easy it is to get used to it in just a few minutes. With plenty of side content, a huge map to explore, and around 18 hours of play time just for the story related content, ReCore has all the elements to become one of the best action adventure games of the year, if the experience manages to stay as fresh and exciting as it is for around 30 minutes.

We have nominated ReCore as our best surprise of Gamescom 2016, and that was for a very good reason: don’t let the Mighty No.9 failure sour your opinion of the game, this time Comcept seems to have gotten everything right. They did receive quite a bit of help from Armature, that’s for sure, but Inafune’s enthusiasm when talking about the game speaks volumes about ReCore’s quality.

The game will be out on September 13th for Windows 10 PC and Xbox One, with full support for cross-save.

For the asking price and good previews I'm reading, I'm definitively giving it a go Day 1

(also, trying to give some love to Amature Studios)

Lazaro

Not sure if posted but here are the current PC requirements. These are not final according to the official Recore blog post.

ReCore said:
As a reminder, these PC specs are not final. We want to share the current specs we’ve been given, but these will be updated very soon! Keep an eye on our social channels and our website for those updates.

http://www.recoregame.com/2016/08/16/recore-pc-work-in-progress-specs/

H9PyMks.png

J@hranimo

Banned
Read through this entire thread. This is definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year. Hope my laptop can run it decently well ^^;

Very nice that it's only $40. Day one.

That said, in playing post apocolyptic games like Fallout, I've always wanted the ability to teraform or clean up in some manner. It really gives the feeling of progress and accomplishment.
Similar to what you could do in Infamous on the PS3 where you rid areas of baddies and you can see things getting back to normal.

I hope something similar is in Recore where you slowly transform the environment around you.

SOR5

Great article by Inverse

By digging into the developer’s past, Keiji Inafune and the team Armature Studios have seemingly stumbled upon a formula that’s strikingly original in the modern landscape of video games. Joule is a heroine with an impossible task using impossible gadgets and assembling an impossible team to fight alongside her.

In a genre that’s so recently been inundated with awesome because they could be real stories and heroes, it’s exciting to see a little impossibility mixed into the proceedings.

and heres a collectors edition unboxing

SOR5

How the minds behind Metroid Prime and Mega Man joined forces to make ReCore (The Verge)

In 2002 a little-known developer called Retro Studios from Austin released Metroid Prime on the Nintendo Gamecube. Built in collaboration with Nintendo, the game transformed the seminal sci-fi series from a 2D side-scrolling experience into a vast, three-dimensional world. Before it launched many fans were skeptical of the idea, worrying that the beloved series would be turned into just another first-person shooter. Yet despite the drastic shift in perspective, Prime retained virtually all of the hallmarks that made Metroid so iconic, from the moody music to the unsettling sense of isolation. It went on to become one of the most acclaimed games of its generation, and spawned a pair of sequels.

Six years later several of the key minds behind the Prime series, including director Mark Pacini, left to found a new studio called Armature. Initially Armature’s output was primarily work-for-hire gigs, helping to port games like Metal Gear Solid and Batman: Arkham Origins to new platforms. But next month the studio is releasing its first big original game with ReCore — and it’s a game that has a lot to live up to.

This is one you wanna read yourself, Armature is in charge of the game development whilst Comcept seems to be managing the creative side of things whilst talking through Skype calls, eventually though they both began to blend in with development priorities and recommendations. Artists, designers and engineers from MS have also been contributing everyday as well, apparently the development has been relatively seamless

also some new artwork and screenshots

Raven77

Was there a reason why it is $40 dollars besides "it's a new IP"? It gives me the impression it's going to be a little light on features or a little short in it's overall length.

Was there a reason why it is $40 dollars besides "it's a new IP"? It gives me the impression it's going to be a little light on features or a little short in it's overall length.

It could be, you know, less expensive to produce. Would you feel better if it cost $60?

The new IP excuse was clearly horseshit, as this is literally the only time MS has done this. My guess is that it's obviously going to seem a little low-budget and may be rough around the edges, but that's offset but the lower price. Don't go into this expecting the polish of Quantum Break, Ratchet and Clank or Metroid Prime, is all.

iavi

ReCore was the big surprise of E3 2016 for me. I did a complete turn around on the game.

Megaman x i don't even know. It looks amazing

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have also played Recore at Gamescom (and written German previews for it). It was my surprise hit of the show and it went from a "maybe take a look" to "definitely buy". Gameplay felt tight and fun, the part of the level design I could see (I could not complete the demo in the alotted time) was really nice and also the combat was engaging. I had no performance problems in the demo either. The Xbox One title I'm looking most forward to since release. It could be my Xbox One's Kameo. Considering I was quite let down by Sea of Thieves giving the impression of being an aimless social experience game, this is doubly great. I really don't know where the negative feedback for the game in this forum came from in the price announcement thread. Glad to see other journalists also agree with it giving a good impression.

Sydle

The positive early impressions won me over and I need an action platformer. I used my credits from Xbox Fitness to buy this game. I hope it delivers!

SOR5

The positive early impressions won me over and I need an action platformer. I used my credits from Xbox Fitness to buy this game. I hope it delivers!

Still waiting to hear reviews before a purchase (this hobby has jaded me) but I'm very very optimistic

I'm liking these initial impressions. After being pleasantly surprised by Mighty No. 9 despite its general reception, I have a hunch I'm going to enjoy this one a lot. Also, is Armature Studios the same group that was working on the Megaman X FPS? If so, that might explain why some people are feeling similarities to Megaman within the gameplay. I always thought the leaked development footage for that project looked like a lot of fun. Can't wait to play this one as soon as I get a chance!

Crayon

I think the 40 bucks is a really good call. The lower price gives it a big boost in accessibility by justifying taking a chance on something other than the AAA flavor of the month. I'm way more optimistic about this game's chance for success at 40.

RoKKeR

Wow, recent previews have been really solid. Interested to see how this game reviews. $40 price point seems smart, especially if it does will with the critics.

Alright, I gotta get something off my chest.

The media really needs to calm down with this title. After No Mans Sky I'd like for them to temper their expectations a little bit. Saying this game is the Xbox ones Metroid Prime, Mega Man or Zelda is really taking it kind of far. Metroid Prime was one of my all time favorite games. I do like the type of game Recore is turning out to be. Collecting upgrades, companions, secret areas, huge over world. I just wish they slow it down a little here. I mean unless review copies are already out there and they arent saying then I can understand.

I am predicting a max of an 85 on meta critic. If I am wrong I will own up to it. I will get it if the reviews are decent.

Blam

I'm going to chalk this up to the build, but fucking hell this game ran like ass when I played it. It was stuttering on a 1080. I'm really hoping that was a problem with just that PC, and not the game.

Crayon

The media really needs to calm down with this title. After No Mans Sky I'd like for them to temper their expectations a little bit. Saying this game is the Xbox ones Metroid Prime, Mega Man or Zelda is really taking it kind of far. Metroid Prime was one of my all time favorite games. I do like the type of game Recore is turning out to be. Collecting upgrades, companions, secret areas, huge over world. I just wish they slow it down a little here. I mean unless review copies are already out there and they arent saying then I can understand.

I am predicting a max of an 85 on meta critic. If I am wrong I will own up to it. I will get it if the reviews are decent.

This really doesn't need to be a player on metacritic or be the next metroid. Good that it's getting talked up even if the talk is big. If people buy it and find it worthy of comparison to those adventure games I'd call that a success.

RedToad64

85 is bad now?

This game looks promising. I'll probably grab it... eventually.

An 80 level score on Meta is a pretty fucking good score.

Anyone who expects this to be a 90+ on metacritic are crazy (or romantics), but thay doesn't mean it will be bad. I'm confident it'll be somewhere in the 7s, but point is these types of titles should be encouraged so that Xbox may get interesting titles.

batbeg

No not at all. I just dont want people to get that expectation in their head that this is Xbox ones Zelda. Thats a big claim to make. I really these types of games.

I think most people are assuming it is relative to those titles in gameplay and spirit, but hopefully see that giant asterisk next to the price point that says there will be some jank.

Peterpan

The hype for this game has been tame. Most people have been down on it, until they play it. Which is a good sign. From what I have seen I have not been impressed at all. Though a game can look unimpressive but great to play and vice versa. At least this one seems to be leaning to the good to play, as opposed to looking impressive and crappy to play.

Speely

Banned
I think this one's gonna be a solid sleeper, which is weird for MS. Looks really good, but has relatively little hype. I am definitely intrigued. Ready to give the Win 10 version a go.

SOR5

It is a massively loaded description, Zelda is synonymous with quality and fame. To even be referred to as that by Gamesradar or be constantly mentioned in the same sentence as these older legendary titles is a big plus but all expectations should be tempered. You are right.

deadstar72

Neo Member
Not coming in at full price is a great move for this game, pushes it into impulse buy territory easily. With these solid previews and the fact that it's only $50AUD, definitely picking this up at launch.

Top Bottom