• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

X86?!?!?

That's a big deal. I guess if Nintendo is going to join the unified architecture club, this is the time to do it. Intel's fab lead is still legit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them roll with ARM for whatever comes next, though.

Why are you even bringing Intel into this discussion? They haven't shown any signs of becoming more agreeable to console style license terms.

Remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. They might allow you to rebuy those games via the eshop. No way are they going to allow you just to put your normal WiiU disks into the NX and play them for free.

You mean the same Nintendo that provided full BC (including digital) for free on Wii U, 3DS, Wii, DS, and GBA?

Anarky

Banned
Okay wait so LCgeek if he's actually legit is saying that the NX is slightly more powerful than a Ps4? Because if so isn't that a good thing?

cacildo

Remember this is Nintendo we are talking about. They might allow you to rebuy those games via the eshop. No way are they going to allow you just to put your normal WiiU disks into the NX and play them for free.

Well, they did with the Wiiu...

You could just put your old Wii disc....

... or you could buy em (some of em) on the eshop

Davey Cakes

Guys, idea: the "Supplementary" processing units from the patent will actually come next gen, as an upgrade to keep NX parity with PS5/XB2

:p
Meanwhile I completely fucking forgot about those patents.

I wonder if NX will utilize "supplementary processing units" in the end.

Chindogg

They did for Wii discs in Wii U, and Gamecube discs in Wii, and DS carts in 3DS, and GBA carts in DS...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Do you know if the NX is a cat family CPU?

Also I think most people were expecting parity or worse, you're actually delivering good news.

I've said already what my beef was and looking at some threads/post on the net not just here is why I laid that nugget of info. Where else should I put this considering how active the subject is? I even said sorry for how that generalization came off a few posts back.

Most nintendo supporters here I'm sure are happy, that's good morale will be need for E3. Yet I can see other camps just doing what they did on WiiU.

I don't agree with indiechick at all on the SDK/Ports. Then again as I'm telling you no one knows, Anyone with a very up to date SDK knows not to talk. When you can have the disparity that nintendo causes then you can have rumor variations like this. When a big company talks or makes a real effort I will go back on my expectations but I'm agnostic as a gamer and want companies to perform good instead of like ass.

Nanashrew

Banned
Okay wait so LCgeek if he's actually legit is saying that the NX is slightly more powerful than a Ps4? Because if so isn't that a good thing?

I think LCgeek wants Nintendo to take it a bit further and up the anti a bit more before release.

Vena

Hmm, so are we thinking Puma+ perhaps or betting the farm on Zen?

If we're better the farm, let's just throw up our hands on Zen+Polaris.

I've said already what my beef was and looking at some threads/post on the net not just here is why I laid that nugget of info. Where else should I put this considering how active the subject is? I even said sorry for how that generalization came off a few posts back.

Most nintendo supporters here I'm sure are happy, that's good morale will be need for E3. Yet I can see other camps just doing what they did on WiiU.

Oh I have no problem. You are just delivering to use more info than we'd expected and its... more than what we expected. A lot of us have, for the longest time, been operating under the assumption that the NX was going to be in between the X1 and PS4 in all ways and the CPU was a bit ??? expected to be lower clocked than you seem to indicate. If its also not a cat family microarch, then we have even more info to digest in terms of expectations.

This also seems to line up with the indiegamergirl rumor at least in terms of specs. As for E3... we'll see what comes of that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why are you even bringing Intel into this discussion? They haven't shown any signs of becoming more agreeable to console style license terms.

You mean the same Nintendo that provided full BC (including digital) for free on Wii U, 3DS, Wii, DS, and GBA?

I've taken that statement back. Let's move on.

diaspora

Maybe. It depends on how long Nintendo plans to have the NX out and if they plan to roll iterative systems every 3-4 years. If they make good on a plan to have a family of devices with quicker hardware releases like iPads and such, then it's a good thing. if they plan to sell this thing at $400 and want it to last 5+ years then... no.

MCN

Banned

The same Nintendo that lets you put Wii games into your Wii U and play them for free? The same Nintendo that let you put your Gamecube games into your Wii and play them for free? The same Nintendo that let you put your DS carts into your 3DS and play them for free?

Shut the fuck up with your drivel.

diaspora

The same Nintendo that lets you put Wii games into your Wii U and play them for free? The same Nintendo that let you put your Gamecube games into your Wii and play them for free? The same Nintendo that let you put your DS carts into your 3DS and play them for free?

He's already recanted, relax.

The_Lump

Banned

Yikes. No need for that, is there?

Banned
They were overall critcisms which they still are. Whatever NX is I can safely say it's not WiiU, thank fucking god. My main point they could easily turn things up a notch or two and still keep profit and plenty of bank. SDK is no joke and while certain good things are good to here it's not an amazing jump which is what the thread or this rumor has been irking me since i've seen it for a few days. Great for nintendo and nintendo supporters, yet in the larger industry scope it going to bring in a massive influx of powerhouse developers unlikely unless SDK has some god technology and they get a respectable 400$ machine.

I'm the last person to go after for realism graphics the two biggest games I play right now are league of legends and hell divers with a few friends.
You're trying to sound negative but I'm actually loving what I'm hearing. I don't think you should be mad that Nintendo isn't putting out a mid ranged PC since those are $600+. What I want to ask you is, do you think Nintendo is putting in as much power as possible at $399 and breaking even?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Yes, but WiiU was also rumoured to be faster than 360 and easy to port to and we know how that turned out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, that's good and all, but...

*sniffs*

What about the handheld?!?

BuggyMike

I guess it comes down to expectations. A CPU more powerful than PS4 means they will stay relevant for at least the next 3 to 4 years after release, since the PS4K just kept the PS4 relevant for the next 3 to 4 years (unless Sony will treat the PS4K as a PS5).

I was thinking about that, the PS4K keeps Sony from releasing a new console for a while but from what I've read Microsoft isn't too into the idea of an XB1.5. An Xbox 2 could easily come out in the next 2 years, i'm sure Microsoft want to do something sooner than 4 years and the hype from that console can possibly fuck Nintendo over with a huge leap in graphics and new console hype. Just something I've been worried about.

diaspora

I was thinking about that, the PS4K keeps Sony from releasing a new console for a while but from what I've read Microsoft isn't too into the idea of an XB1.5. An Xbox 2 could easily come out in the next 2 years, i'm sure Microsoft want to do something sooner than 4 years and the hype from that console can possibly fuck Nintendo over with a huge leap in graphics and new console hype. Just something I've been worried about.

This could equally screw Microsoft.

phanphare

Banned
You're trying to sound negative but I'm actually loving what I'm hearing.

same. read that first post and was like "fuuuuck, Nintendo done goofed again didn't they?"

then the clarifications came and now it seems like the NX will be exactly what it should be

E3 now pls

Lebon14

x86 architecture.
Backup data to Nintendo server (most likely My Nintendo).
Support for additional screen.
Can handle ports of current-gen games.
Will be able to interact with smartdevice apps.
Using NX software will unlock My Nintendo reward points.

* Worlds of possibilities open up if it's that's true. Would go along the rumor saying that AMD would be making chips for a big corp.
* Cloud saves? I say YES!
* This makes me think of Wii U Gamepad compatibility...
* A part of me earlier imagined that PS4 and XB1 would work on NX but that's not the case LOL. I'm so dumby sometimes. Anyway, Having an easy to get 3rd party on-baord for cheap would be good for NX.
* Pretty much don't care bout this except for my account's security.
* That was a given. Really.

Malus

A lot of us have, for the longest time, been operating under the assumption that the NX was going to be in between the X1 and PS4 in all ways and the CPU was a bit ??? expected to be lower clocked than you seem to indicate.

This also seems to line up with the indiegamergirl rumor at least in terms of specs. As for E3... we'll see what comes of that.

With a bit of hesitation when Thomas Mahler went and said that he was thinking/heard it would be much less powerful than XB1.

grumble

Best thing they did was have playing software unlock points they can use to purchase more software. That is a no-brainer. They should do that for all games, Sony and Microsoft.

Would be a huge win for the industry. More games played, more new games purchased, more interaction with the digital store, etc. It doesn't even have to be much money, and they could throw in avatars, etc. Seriously. How this hasn't been done yet is insane.

Nanashrew

Banned
And the jump from 3DS to n3DS was far bigger than what anyone expected on the CPU front.

That's true. 2x more cores 4x more CPU speed than any other iteration they've ever done before. I never at all expected it. I just imagined it would have been something much lighter.

Honestly none of this conjecture and back and forth means a hill of beans if Nintendo can't get people to buy 3rd party games on their systems.

Flat out. Nothing will get ported, no cross platform nada zippo zilch until the base that buys Nintendo platforms buys 3rd party totles on thise platforms. Hell if Wiiu owners bought more of the 3 rd party games like Blackflag( an actual honest to god really well doen port of a popular title) then other games would have come.

That is the truth. Some people are okay with a Nintendo only box but eventually they will not be able to sustain business very long without a wide variety of support.

And all I remember about Nintendo wiiu owners is absolute bitching about every perceived slight or lazy developer or aby other of a litany of bullshit excuses to not buy 3rd party games. Even when WiiU got good ports like Deus Ex, NFS, SC and Black Flag. No one bought them. Not like on PS4 where most games just sell with little effort.

That's it folks. If Nintendo can't get the consumer to buy in not just Nintendo games but also 3rd party games, we're talking comparatively to Ps4 and Xb1 then this will be the Wiiu or worse.

I think a big issue is the price of software. When a new console launches, the price of the games usually stays closer to RRP for longer, and when releasing mid-gen that price disparity seems even worse. I recall several ports I hadn't yet played that I considered picking up on the Wii U, but the price was always higher than on other systems. The ports didn't sell and support dried up.

At some point I also think the pricing of first party titles needs to be addressed too.

Anarky

Banned

Yikes dude chill.

You're trying to sound negative but I'm actually loving what I'm hearing. I don't think you should be mad that Nintendo isn't putting out a mid ranged PC since those are $600+. What I want to ask you is, do you think Nintendo is putting in as much power as possible at $399 and breaking even?

I think his point is no devs are gonna look at the NX specs and feel compelled to put effort in there. That's an issue given 3 years later hardware wise you would think they would be excited for something new.

Personally its nintendo so I expected it would be awful and 1/2 between a 360 and an X1 because they dont give a shit. But it shouldnt be hard to outpace the PS4/X1 using bog standard of the shelf parts.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
With a bit of hesitation when Thomas Mahler went and said that he was thinking/heard it would be much less powerful than XB1.

He also said it was going to be a handheld no? In that case, well...it's obvious it's much less powerful than Xbox One.

....not every studio is based in UK/US?

As a perspective from the other side of leaks, nearly every leak from every studio I've worked at has come from our overseas partners/offices. There were like ... 2 in 8 years that came from our in-house employees (one dev, one QA). And the other like 40+, including every major leak, came from non-English speaking partners.

No exactly sure why that is, but I assume it is probably due to a higher fear of legal action being taken against you (in the US/UK) than in other countries that have more lax litigation laws and the lower chance of a US company seeking legal action against a foreign individual than a domestic one.

Points well taken. I was rather ignorant, and I apologise.
I assumed that should they be posting on English speaking forums, they'd be from English speaking backgrounds. Leaks have come from non-English speaking countries before, and we've been tasked with translating.

Pokemaniac

Hmm, so are we thinking Puma+ perhaps or betting the farm on Zen?

I'm still thinking A72 or some other ARM chip. I'm not particularly convinced of the guy in the OP, especially after one of the people vouching for them started claiming the WSJ was wrong.

I've taken that statement back. Let's move on.

It takes time for me to type on my phone. Though, fun fact, it's actually generally speculated that the SNES was originally intended to be BC with the NES due to their fairly similar CPUs.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Christ gaffers I'm neutral bros, you see polairty I see chaos, comprende.

This is wrong and I'm one of the few here that put there 3570 setup originally together for 534$. That's me if nintendo can't figure out how to do half of that power 2 years later with much better tech access that's pathetic if they are going to charge 350-450$ for NX.

AdanVC

Nintendo needs to reveal their stupid device ASAP. Rumor thread are starting to get more intense and violent...

BuggyMike

Damn son "shut the fuck up"? LOL weather he's right/wrong I'm not sure what he said really elicits such an angry response.

VariantX

But in both those cases, the old hardware was apart of the new hardware. If the x86 cpu thing is true, then no HW BC this time. It could certainly show up later as software BC.

diaspora

This is wrong and I'm one of the few here that put there 3570 setup originally together for 534$. That's me if nintendo can't figure out how to do half of that power 2 years later with much better tech access that's pathetic if they are going to charge 350-450$ for NX.

The cost of purchasing, assembling, and marketing hardware for a company isn't really the same as someone from home though? It's almost like asking why a government runs a deficit when a home budget is balanced.

Alebrije

As far as I remember Nintendo did not lost money for every WiiU sold at launch , so I hope Nintendo learned that you can lost money on hardware but end wining at the end so they release a powerfull NX that can compete with current and future Ps4/Xbone consoles.

Malus

You're not taking into account the new innovative donut screen controller concept that will make $400 sound like a bargain :p

Vena

I don't see zen being affordable by this holiday for Nintendo. Puma+ was always my theory.

Zen and Polaris are much more feasible for Nintendo, of all people, because they are not mid-gen (upgrading GCN generations would be a nightmare) and have potentially low demand on their hands. Of course I don't expect this but I also don't think Puma+ is where they'd go.

That 800 MHz Polaris DX11 part from the PS4k rumors threads might be making more sense now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom