• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuggyMike

This could equally screw Microsoft.

How do you mean? I'd think after a 5 year cycle they wouldn't really be hurting themselves too much, especially as the Xbox One isn't leading this gen and there will be 2 new shinier platforms on the market which could be a problem for them.I'm curious why you think it'd hurt them.

Pokemaniac

That's true. 2x more cores 4x more CPU speed than any other iteration they've ever done before. I never at all expected it. I just imagined it would have been something much lighter.

The clock speed bump is actually more like 3x. The point still stands, though.

The_Lump

Banned
As a perspective from the other side of leaks, nearly every leak from every studio I've worked at has come from our overseas partners/offices. There were like ... 2 in 8 years that came from our in-house employees (one dev, one QA). And the other like 40+, including every major leak, came from non-English speaking partners.

...I think I know where you worked. ;)

diaspora

How do you mean? I'd think after a 5 year cycle they wouldn't really be hurting themselves too much, especially as the Xbox One isn't leading this gen and there will be 2 new shinier platforms on the market which could be a problem for them.I'm curious why you think it'd hurt them.

You're suggesting two years with products carrying superior specs on the market.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
no. you were mistaken - should have feared me more.

LOL.

I'm trying to wrap my head around around what a 3D Mario game would look like on PS4 performance type hardware.

I would love a Metroid with that hardware. Zelda would be amazing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still wouldn't be surprised at all to see them put out an efficient, affordable home console for $249 instead of a XB1/PS4 type.

Davey Cakes

You're not taking into account the new innovative donut screen controller concept that will make $400 sound like a bargain :p
Joking aside, all this talk about the NX console is equating it to a PC or other consoles.

It's going to have a "Nintendo component" as well which must be factored in.

LOL.

I'm trying to wrap my head around around what a 3D Mario game would look like on PS4 performance type hardware.

As I conveyed before.

People were in awe at Mario Kart 8 and that game has shitballs for IQ.

Nintendo games on PS4-level hardware will be pure candy to all of us.

Vena

LOL.

It would have AA, and that's probably about all that would change for a Mario game.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The cost of purchasing, assembling, and marketing hardware for a company isn't really the same as someone from home though? It's almost like asking why a government runs a deficit when a home budget is balanced.

They can get chips cheaper then I could and we know from WIiU they were making profit quickly. Doesn't fly they can take a hit and very soon be raking in the money for slightly more potent system. If people want to argue how much power they should do fine, but Gotdatmoney nailed my point home better than I could apparently. We are lying to ourselves if we think 3rd western devs like ubisoft or EA will just hop on board and get to work.

I'm out for now will check back if other stuff comes up but need to chill with family.

Kimawolf

Compared to WiiU, if you liked mario kart or other games this new system should be a wet dream with what nintendo can do. For other powerhouses who use a lot more, they do stuff but nothing like what high end pc stuff is starting to do now. It wlll be a very good port machine and step up for nintendo or nintendo only developers like Shin'en
lets be real, even the PS4k wont even touch high end gaming pcs. so what do devs exactly say/want? none of them will matcj a 970 for instance or anything close to a i5.

Vena

They can get chips cheaper then I could and we know from WIiU they were making profit quickly. Doesn't fly they can take a hit and very soon be raking in the money for slightly more potent system. If people want to argue how much power they should do fine, but Gotdatmoney nailed my point home better than I could apparently. We are lying to ourselves if we think 3rd western devs like ubisoft or EA will just hop on board and get to work. I

They are still losing money on the WiiU, actually. They wrote off a years worth of it once but its still a drain on them.

Nanashrew

Banned
Joking aside, all this talk about the NX console is equating it to a PC or other consoles.

It's going to have a "Nintendo component" as well which must be factored in.

That patent for a Nintendo local cloud and additional CPU power would be nice.

Instro

lets be real, even the PS4k wont even touch high end gaming pcs. so what do devs exactly say/want? none of them will matcj a 970 for instance or anything close to a i5.

For many devs, as we've seen in the past, they want as much as they can get in terms of performance.

Alebrije

LOL.

This is a dream that almost every Nintendo user has had since Wii era, see a Metroid /Mario game on a powerfull hardware that compares to competitors

Pro tip : keep your head wrapped.

diaspora

They can get chips cheaper then I could and we know from WIiU they were making profit quickly. Doesn't fly they can take a hit and very soon be raking in the money for slightly more potent system. If people want to argue how much power they should do fine, but Gotdatmoney nailed my point home better than I could apparently. We are lying to ourselves if we think 3rd western devs like ubisoft or EA will just hop on board and get to work. I

Yes they could even if it doesn't take marketing and manufacturing, shipping, etc costs into account; though I'm curious as to where you're getting the price from? If it's based on the Wii U's launch price, I'm not sure how it compares since the Wii U hardware was half the cost of the system with the other half being the gamepad.

phanphare

Banned
They can get chips cheaper then I could and we know from WIiU they were making profit quickly. Doesn't fly they can take a hit and very soon be raking in the money for slightly more potent system. If people want to argue how much power they should do fine, but Gotdatmoney nailed my point home better than I could apparently. We are lying to ourselves if we think 3rd western devs like ubisoft or EA will just hop on board and get to work.

I'm out for now will check back if other stuff comes up but need to chill with family.

appreciate the info

LOL.

The jump form Wii U to PS4 is pretty high. It would be really exciting to see.
I can see myself eating my words, but... There will come a certain point when, say, 3D Mario titles won't need 'better graphics'. Mario is, and always has been, about the gameplay. That said, the closer we get to Pixar levels of shading/lighting, the better...! Stylistically speaking, the Mario games are consistently fantastic. Galaxy has superb direction, and managed to look amazing even with the Wii's paltry power.

BuggyMike

You're suggesting two years with products carrying superior specs on the market.

So you're saying Microsoft not releasing an Xbox 1.5 would hurt them? If that's the case then yeah I can agree on that. I thought you were saying that them releasing an Xbox Two in 2 years could hurt them.

I am curious about what they're going to do since Phil has said he's not into the idea, they can't really ignore the pressure of 2 newer consoles being on the market.

AniHawk

It's going to look amazing isn't it. I hope they show this stuff at E3 this year. They would take the show.

i'd say there's a very good chance for mario to be there. the big thing is that the development team's schedule seems to line up for a mario being out this year and they were already talking about making mario for nx.

Nanashrew

Banned
Theres a patent for additional power?

There is yeah. I don't know what's become of it atm though. It did get rejected but Nintendo can refile and repeal and stuff. It's an idea that would be kinda cool.

It's essentially an attachment you can tether to your system and it provides additional CPU power and even local cloud. I believe there were other features as well like improving online service as well.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I already said NX/PS4 can't touch mid range machines at the top of their specs so high end has never been a consideration.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Theres a patent for additional power?

4DPXRd1.jpg

!

Banned
I think his point is no devs are gonna look at the NX specs and feel compelled to put effort in there. That's an issue given 3 years later hardware wise you would think they would be excited for something new.

Personally its nintendo so I expected it would be awful and 1/2 between a 360 and an X1 because they dont give a shit. But it shouldnt be hard to outpace the PS4/X1 using bog standard of the shelf parts.
But the NX is a new potential audience that they couldn't reach before because the Wii U was too weak. If the NX is slightly above the Xbox and Zps4 that's a whole new potential revenue stream for them to reach by just porting it over.

This preconceived notion that Nintendo is like a leper in the industry and no third party wants to touch them is asinine and getting annoying. If there is a potential to make money, third parties will be there, must like they were for the Wii as much as possible.

Was watching shitty ghost hunting tv-shows, since i last checked the thread.

So we got info that the NX´s CPU is more powerful than the PS4´s now? Well, that´s nice to hear, since a lot were expecting it to be between the WiiU and PS4 at best (pessimists). Damn you E3, why you so far away.

Vena

Was watching shitty ghost hunting tv-shows, since i last checked the thread.

So we got info that the NX´s CPU is more powerful than the PS4´s now? Well, that´s nice to hear, since a lot were expecting it to be between the WiiU and PS4 at best (pessimists). Damn you E3, why you so far away.

Higher than the X1s, which is itself higher than the PS4s. We need info on the RAM and GPU next, as well as the family for the CPU for the NX.

Davey Cakes

it looks like it's all lining up for Nintendo as far as games go. the first year of the NX could be ridiculous.
I honestly hope so. They've been so secretive and haven't had many BIG releases recently. If Nintendo is really saving their best for the launch and launch window, it wouldn't be characteristic of them, but it would certainly be wonderful.

The NX needs a good kickstart. Maybe Ninty realized this.

#dreaming

ReyVGM

I feel like they'll launch it for $299. They already saw what happened with the Wii U and its lol $350 price tag (though we can blame the gamepad for inflating that price) and the 3DS being improperly priced as well. Would be embarrassing if they think they can get away with a "deluxe" pricing mindset in this market when they have so much to prove that they still have a market.

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says Deluxe model selling better than Basic version is proof that pricing is not holding the system back, but rather lack of software.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-pricing-not-the-issue-says-iwata/1100-6412818/

Price is not a problem unless you give people what they want.

Higher than the X1s, which is itself higher than the PS4s. We need info on the RAM and GPU next, as well as the family for the CPU for the NX.

Nice, thanks.

I mean, if they don´t skimp out on the CPU, i doubt they would on the rest of the system. Unless they want the system to be bottlenecked by the rest of the components, while the CPU runs at like 60% and the rest is unused. I´d like to think the system would be balanced. Dat NX thirst.

Nintendo should not design their console with a primary goal of being able to receive ports of games on other consoles.

Doing that is following. Not leading.

AniHawk

I honestly hope so. They've been so secretive and haven't had many BIG releases recently. If Nintendo is really saving their best for the launch and launch window, it wouldn't be characteristic of them, but it would certainly be wonderful.

The NX needs a good kickstart. Maybe Ninty realized this.

#dreaming

that's why i'm saying pokemon sun/moon port. i feel as though the game's basically being rushed out for it.

Hsieh

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says Deluxe model selling better than Basic version is proof that pricing is not holding the system back, but rather lack of software.

That has more to do with Nintendo alienating the casual audiences and the only people buying the Wii U are hardcore Nintendo fans. The casual market is much more sensitive to price.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't get the point about such an upgrade not being enough for third parties to develop on it, LCGeek.
I mean, merely technically. You tell us the CPU is quite better than what was in PS4 and especially One. You also tell us that this is no Wii U at all, "thank God", despite not knowing enough about RAM and GPU. Okay. ...why shouldn't third parties develop for such a machine, technically? Hopefully, OsirisBlack's wording paints a harsher reality than what it actually is in terms of "significant sacrifices" for games devloped with PS4K in mind to run on PS4, but still: PS4K isn't a full generation jump and developers shouldn't abandon the almost 40 millions users OG PS4 already has (and that will keep on growing), so a console that should be quite better than OG PS4 and One, released NOW (this year), which is not late in the gen, but around the mid-life of this gen (with the gen concept probably changing in the next few years), why shouldn't it receive support from Western third parties? It's quite different from Wii U in terms of timing of release.
And I want to stress technically, from a mere, superficial point of view. What I'm trying to say is that, given the conditions from the market / rumours / what you said, I think there could be other factors influencing negatively the 3rd party support, like tools available (we know UE4 is supported at least, but we must know how), easiness of development and, maybe above all from another point of view, how the console / family / whatever performs on the market, alongside the games' sales. THESE are the main influencing factors, IMHO, given what we know, what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom