• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

I think the save is tied to the SD card or console, putting my Smash 3DS (US) copy into my JPN 3DS acts like it's a new save.

Different region games have different IDs (usually they follow the PAL/NTSC/JAP split for IDs), and a given console has an assigned folder tree on the SD card (which has some validation done on it, so you can eg put back an earlier copy of the tree but not replace stuff within the tree).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Works great - using Japanese XL

sure someone noted this already but....

I tried Yoshi's Island US version........ game runs , but it's entirely in Japanese. lol.

Works great - using Japanese XL

sure someone noted this already but....

I tried Yoshi's Island US version........ game runs , but it's entirely in Japanese. lol.
Wait, so a US cart shows everything in Japanese language? If that's the case, looks like Nintendo completely locked out the English language from the JPN 3DS.

The next systems better be region free.

nny

European XL, booted up fine Gyakuten Saiban 5 (JP) and SMT IV (US).

Just get rid of region locking already, Nintendo.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wait, so a US cart shows everything in Japanese language? If that's the case, looks like Nintendo completely locked out the English language from the JPN 3DS.

I played Kid Icarus Uprising on my Japanese 3DS LL and it was in English.

Eolz

Just booted up Senran Kagura 2 on my PAL 3DS. This is awesome!
Will probably import some japanese games now...
Once again, glad this isn't a pro-piracy exploit.

Aeana

Only some games. It isn't the norm at all.
While testing this, I tried my English Kirby Triple Deluxe cart on my Japanese 3DS, and the menu banner is in Japanese, but the game is fully in English. I don't think there's actually that many games that include both English and Japanese languages, and in some cases they offer a selector (Like Pokemon).

I imagine it's a lot like on the Wii, where many games/developers were being translated and all of the languages (or at least what was already done at the time of release) were included even if it was impossible to select that due to region.

This is likely because in development they wanted to easily switch languages to big test them and then the information was simply left in the final version. Not everyone develops releases simultaneously, which is why it's inconsistent.

donny2112

Only some games. It isn't the norm at all.
While testing this, I tried my English Kirby Triple Deluxe cart on my Japanese 3DS, and the menu banner is in Japanese, but the game is fully in English. I don't think there's actually that many games that include both English and Japanese languages, and in some cases they offer a selector (Like Pokemon).

Would you recommend Slime Mori 3 for someone who does not speak Japanese but really liked DQH:Rocket Slime? Can we get the gist of what's happening without needing the text (mostly)?

I was right. Ninjhax couldn't do region free...I suppose it didn't rule of this exploit though. Interesting background processes can be "attacked" so to speak. Edit: I'm really glad there is both a solution and it doesn't need anything like Gateway or Cubic Ninja.

Also interesting that Smash Bros works given the whole reboot it does. Then again it doesn't launch ther system menu so it is in so to speak.

Based on Smealums twitter I'm surprised that the Smash cart converts to EN with this.
You're not changing the language setting on the 3DS. Smash has the English data on there (easier to work on one build with it in) and it will run when the language is set to English.

Now based on games force booting on Gamecube and Wii is sometimes you get games crashing as they load non-existent languages and other times it is unfinished translations. edit: I was going to say PSO Episode 3 but you need an action replay to access that very poor incomplete English translation (sorry I misremembered things).

Wel this is awesome! But unless there's going to be a sequel to Ouendan, there don't seem to be any Japanese-exclusive games I want to play right now. Maybe European ones?
Inazuma Eleven 3 and Inazuma Eleven Go (and all their flavors) are pretty much it. So much for the grass being greener in Europe...

The simplicity of this hack just tells how how absurd Nintendo's stance on region locking really is.
Yeah, I remember with the Wii I was convinced it would be region free because of that one PR line and the fact the SNES, N64 and Gamecube were trivially easy to region break as far as NTSC regions (well not trivial on Gamecube, you had to open the system up and install a switch to swap between US and Japan, simple) playing NTSC games went.

I think the save is tied to the SD card or console, putting my Smash 3DS (US) copy into my JPN 3DS acts like it's a new save.
Smash Bros will only read the save if you have the same version as the one you last made the save on. In other words to try download the update from the eShop. Although I can see the update data not being read as it is for a different region or something.

jax

Banned
So torn on which card to buy. Probably going with Gateway, but really whoever gets the N3DS region free going first is gonna get my cash.

This is some of the best news in years. I bought a 3DS in Japan(I live here) but at times I really want to play games in English so this is a godsend. I have a European copy of Bravely Default and a US copy of Fire Emblem Awakening waiting for me! :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I imagine it's a lot like on the Wii, where many games/developers were being translated and all of the languages (or at least what was already done at the time of release) were included even if it was impossible to select that due to region.

This is likely because in development they wanted to easily switch languages to big test them and then the information was simply left in the final version. Not everyone develops releases simultaneously, which is why it's inconsistent.
Many PS3 games are like that too. The game disc is exactly the same worldwide, but it changes languages, and even certain details (ie Rachet's eyebrows or censorship of RE5 in Japan) depending on the region of the machine.

Crayolan

Not sure how I missed this thread but this is fantastic news. I have a 3DS which hasn't been updated in years ready just for this occasion.

Fogo

Neo Member
Does not work on my 9.2.0-20U 3DS XL. I load up the exploit page with the launcher.dat file on my SD card and have download play running in the background and it just crashes on me.

Rich!

Does not work on my 9.2.0-20U 3DS XL. I load up the exploit page with the launcher.dat file on my SD card and have download play running in the background and it just crashes on me.

Clear the browser cache and history

DQM2 should be arriving tomorrow morning. I'll get to try this out then.

Hopefully I'll get to have lots of fun playing it tomorrow. Assuming this goes well, thanks in advance smealum! Looking forward to finally playing this. EDIT: Oh, I have a spare 3DS that will be on 9.2 for the foreseeable future, so even if it gets patched out in the future I don't have to choose between the eShop and imported games. That's why I had no problems importing.

Shadoron

I've now tried to boot a JP copy of MonHun 4 on both a US 8.1 2DS and a US 9.4 3DS XL. Both just error out when opening the exploit websites. Anyone have a similar problem and come up with a solution? I made sure I'm using the latest launcher.dat, and have cleared cache and history multiple times. No dice.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I've now tried to boot a JP copy of MonHun 4 on both a US 8.1 2DS and a US 9.4 3DS XL. Both just error out when opening the exploit websites. Anyone have a similar problem and come up with a solution? I made sure I'm using the latest launcher.dat, and have cleared cache and history multiple times. No dice.

Did you open Download Play then press the home button and go to the web browser from there?

jzbluz

Have you tried resetting the 3ds?

Hasney

Try this if it's not working:

For anyone else having trouble, using this QR code to go to the exploit site worked for me. Might be worth giving a shot.
zdXGVcm.png

Shadoron

Thanks for the replies, I found an issue. I was trying to right click and save the launcher.dat file... when I should have just downloaded the zip file at github. My launcher.dat jumped from 25kb to 120kb. I tried using a US cart to see if the system would at least go through the motions, and it properly loaded the cart. I still can't get the JP Monster Hunter 4 cart to boot. Maybe MonHun 4 isn't supported for some reason.

Hopefully Nintendo will learn that region locking is just silly..
I pay for each and every of my game, so why should i be prevented to buy a us only game?
Or why should i be forced to buy digital content when i'm a collector and i'm stuck with europe getting loads of digital only games?

ugh, no you weren't. this was the easier way to do it but region free from cubic ninja is totally possible.
Ah so this is what that was about? Sorry for spreading misinformation like that. That doesn't really answer the technical concerns I had which lead to me jumping to conclusions though.

Anyone try daigasso band bros 3ds on a US XL? That game is all I need/want.
There is a big problem with that one. You can not enter the Japanese eShop.
The US eShop has no DLC for that game* (and DLC is a massive part of the game) meaning you're stuck with playing the 4 songs on the cartridge. Source: Personal knowledge and this post

*-Software availability is handled on [eShop] country by country basis including DLC. An example of this is some of the newer PAL eShops don't have DLC for old software like FF: Theathrhythm (the do have the DLC for Curtain Call though).

Gonzon06

So this might be a stupid question, but since this does show up on the activity log (not the software, but for the day as ?????) is there any chance nintendo might see this and delete my NNID or something?

So this might be a stupid question, but since this does show up on the activity log (not the software, but for the day as ?????) is there any chance nintendo might see this and delete my NNID or something?

Nintendo has had ways to track hacks and pirate carts and has never directly acted on them (except to deny warranty coverage on systems). So the answer is currently 'no'... but it is against the ToS and Nintendo could change their mind. Just something to keep in mind.

Aeana

Would you recommend Slime Mori 3 for someone who does not speak Japanese but really liked DQH:Rocket Slime? Can we get the gist of what's happening without needing the text (mostly)?

It's practically the same game as Rocket Slime, just with a different setting. I'm sure you'd be able to manage.

Top Bottom