• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

Did you come from the future?

Was Metroid Prime announced?

Well Metroid being announced would be very exciting.

I'm talking about all the specs we have and the fact that there is no mention of the dock providing additional processing, or the machine overclocking when docked. Both of those are things I'd think we'd know about if they existed. So what the means to me is that the output of NX will be 720p - even with docked, which is not very exciting. Anything relating to handheld-ness is unexciting to me too.

Detachable controllers are unexciting and hold no value to me.

So overall, from what we've been told (And it seems like it's a LOT) it's not on exciting machine.

MoonFrog

This is the best Gaf thread on gaming.

You guys are killing me lol.
My visiting GAF will probably decline precipitously when NX is revealed...Although Nintendo will not be clear on the specs probably, so maybe speculation will just continue.

But as is, I check GAF frequently, starting with this thread and then go off to some other threads posting a couple comments that don't really add to any conversation :p.

When I'm just coming to GAF to announce my feelings on game X into the void, the draw will be weaker, especially because you never know what the game in question will be before hand.

Then again, empty internet minutes will be filled and GAF is a nice and interesting place.

You're all wrong, this is obviously what the NX will look like.

nintendobs.jpg

Wii U would support full RGB mode if Nintendo wished, it only need an OS update, clearly shows that visual improvements are not Nintendo's top priority, even when there's no extra cost involved.
Does that make the system weaker or something? Such a bizarre thing to not fix especially with the type of games they make
Panties dropped. Jesus if this is anything close to the real thing
fire.gif
I wonder if there will ever be a 5 button controller like that. The spacing should allow for a central one

Eolz

My visiting GAF will probably decline precipitously when NX is revealed...Although Nintendo will not be clear on the specs probably, so maybe speculation will just continue.

If it's like WiiU, this will be the case yeah. There was a good while until the chip analysis led to the final Gigaflops number.

ggx2ac

I wonder if there will ever be a 5 button controller like that. The spacing should allow for a central one

It could have been done on the GameCube.

CraUVmFW8AQlaYU.jpg

This was for something else, ignore the circle pad and pretend the A button is there. This would have made up for the lack of a shoulder button on the GameCube controllers left shoulder.

Maybe not so much elegant and more so an overly complex solution for such a trivial manner thought?

Using button sized Free Form displays has been brought various times when talking about Sharp's screens, i even remember ggx2ac did the exact same suggestion in one of these NX threads. But i don't think it's a practical way to implement such screens.

These button sized screens would remain obscured most of the time by the thumb (even multiple keys) and it wouldn't allow the potential tutorial functionality that a dynamic display could facilitate. The screens would be just too small.

Assuming is some kind of unavoidable mandate to use a Free Form Screen to have interactive button labels, something like this seems more functional from my pov:

Yes, the A button is repeated, i didn't want to change the A label.
  • The circular screen could be suspended on a physical click, so pressing the screen hard enough registers a physcial input.
  • The "A" in the center is a physical button. The others are Virtual Dynamic ones.
  • The A is used as a guide to click the screen in the 4 cardinal directions.
  • The user can combo A + Click in various directions.
  • The user can swipe the screen in various directions.
  • The screen can work as an scroll wheel for item selection.
  • The button propmpts can be dynamic and change depending on game conditions. Not much useful since the user's attention is on the main screen.
Personally i would preffer a Trackpad since it's cheaper. But some people find the idea to use a Free Form Display in this way interesting, because it looks "cool" to them.

It has some issues but also some advantages. However, you could put physical ABXY keys within the circular screen but the space requirement increases obviously. For a normal sized controller it could work.

But in reality there's various cheap solutions to the button orientation problem when in NES style:
  • Use the same nomenclature as the Dpad.
  • Use button iconography that is both symmetrical and retain the directional context independent of orientation. It could be bow arrows to give the idea of action/offense intead of the Dpad iconography for directions. Using triangles or pentagons works the same as well.
  • Transparent buttons with backlight labels within the buttons and external ones to the side. In normal orientation the light inside the buttons is on. In NES orientation the backlight labels to the side are on and the ones within are turned off. Side labels were used in the NES and SNES controllers so is quite fitting.
  • Fiber Optic filaments in patterns to lit the buttons.
And many other more cheap and practical ways.

Speaking of Transparent buttons and controller elements. There's some potentail interesting applicantions of using transparent or filtering parts on the controls. For example having image sensors for tracking the fingers on the surface. This way the control pad could actually have the scroll wheel functionality without needing dedicated physical buttons, this also helps giving the control L&R bumper functionality independant of orientation, if the NES style multiplay ends up been a thing.

While you're right that free form displays likely won't happen due to cost and power consumption, your mockup actually combines two of the features we've heard about before the July leak: the rumored donut screens and the patented control scheme which uses a button wheel around a control stick such that pushing the stick towards one of the buttons on the wheel activates that button.

I know it's not exactly the same as that second function but this does showcase a very good application of those donut screens.

ggx2ac

While you're right that free form displays likely won't happen due to cost and power consumption, your mockup actually combines two of the features we've heard about before the July leak: the rumored donut screens and the patented control scheme which uses a button wheel around a control stick such that pushing the stick towards one of the buttons on the wheel activates that button.

I know it's not exactly the same as that second function but this does showcase a very good application of those donut screens.

What if... That's exactly what they are doing and they are hiding it from developers with the dev-kits by using regular buttons and circle pads?

That could explain the circle pads but, it's a bit of a stretch anyway.

TLZ

Banned
I don't want to blow your mind, but "Nintendo NX" is not a console that exists or will exist.

You're not going to find Amazon trying to sell you a product called "Project Scorpio" about a near from now either.

Eb games Australia have had nx for pre-order for a while.

What if... That's exactly what they are doing and they are hiding it from developers with the dev-kits by using regular buttons and circle pads?

That could explain the circle pads but, it's a bit of a stretch anyway.

I'd like to think Nintendo learned their lesson about using expensive, brand new tech from the 3DS and Wii U so they'll hopefully avoid free form screens, but we'll see! Maybe they wound up super cheap, at this point we don't know.

ggx2ac

I'd like to think Nintendo learned their lesson about using expensive, brand new tech from the 3DS and Wii U so they'll hopefully avoid free form screens, but we'll see! Maybe they wound up super cheap, at this point we don't know.

I'm looking at it again.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-eyes-doughnut-shaped-screen-report-claims/1100-6424284/

It's possible they were going to use it for QoL but I honestly don't know. That has been kept in the dark. Apparently production for the tech could've have started as early 2016.

I want my imagination to run wild but I'd probably end up being disappointed if the final product did end up looking similar to the mock-ups and not like the gamecube image I showed before with the circle pad surrounded by buttons.

Basically, the donut shaped screens being fit on detachable controllers makes sense. It doesn't have to be like that fake controller leak from last time.

This could mean a few things, it wouldn't look like a traditional controller and, the display on the NX could end up being different too. The reason being that the dev-kit could just be using parts they already have instead while they spend money designing and building what the final prototype could look like. It might not even have a 6.2 inch screen. But then again, that doesn't make sense because they had to order 720p screens and the Wii U Gamepad's screen could only do 480p. (Unless it is the 480p screen and they are just told in the final specs it will be 720p)

I'm looking at it again.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-eyes-doughnut-shaped-screen-report-claims/1100-6424284/

It's possible they were going to use it for QoL but I honestly don't know. That has been kept in the dark. Apparently production for the tech could've have started as early 2016.

I want my imagination to run wild but I'd probably end up being disappointed if the final product did end up looking similar to the mock-ups and not like the gamecube image I showed before with the circle pad surrounded by buttons.

Basically, the donut shaped screens being fit on detachable controllers makes sense. It doesn't have to be like that fake controller leak from last time.

This could mean a few things, it wouldn't look like a traditional controller and, the display on the NX could end up being different too. The reason being that the dev-kit could just be using parts they already have instead while they spend money designing and building what the final prototype could look like. It might not even have a 6.2 inch screen. But then again, that doesn't make sense because they had to order 720p screens and the Wii U Gamepad's screen could only do 480p. (Unless it is the 480p screen and they are just told in the final specs it will be 720p)

I was actually convinced that the donut screens would be used for QoL because the diagrams they showed of the sleep sensor presented a cylindrical shaped device which could easily benefit from a "donut" shaped screen.

It would be very interesting if they pursued the donut button wheel feature though, presuming the tech is cheap enough. It's certainly not something which would need to be in devkits, though I don't think this means the screen portion will change appreciably.

Nonetheless it's an interesting possibility for sure.

ggx2ac

I was actually convinced that the donut screens would be used for QoL because the diagrams they showed of the sleep sensor presented a cylindrical shaped device which could easily benefit from a "donut" shaped screen.

It would be very interesting if they pursued the donut button wheel feature though, presuming the tech is cheap enough. It's certainly not something which would need to be in devkits, though I don't think this means the screen portion will change appreciably.

Nonetheless it's an interesting possibility for sure.

The annoying thing is knowing that they put a halt to the QoL initiative but we never heard if the Sharp Free Form screens contract was cancelled. Sharp probably would've mentioned something about it to their investors in the last 2 years.

Edit: It seems it was only the end of 2015 when that patent appeared for the free form display that resulted in those fake leak controllers. Maybe the Free Form Display deal with Sharp is still around.

It could have been done on the GameCube.

CraUVmFW8AQlaYU.jpg

This was for something else, ignore the circle pad and pretend the A button is there. This would have made up for the lack of a shoulder button on the GameCube controllers left shoulder.
For the live of god, no. Those x and y buttons do not need to coke back. They feel awful to press, especially in games like the smash bros series. Would be nice if analog triggers could come back though.

Glass Rebel

For the live of god, no. Those x and y buttons do not need to coke back. They feel awful to press, especially in games like the smash bros series. Would be nice if analog triggers could come back though.

Analog triggers are garbage for anything except shooters and racing games and Nintendo won't bring back F-Zero ever. Just the thought of playing Monster Hunter with analog triggers. *shudders*

ggx2ac

I also forgot there was a 5-button controller prototype for the Wii Remote. (The one on the left.)

wii_controller_prototype.jpg

Although I was talking about having a circle pad in the centre which is related to the other stuff talked about in this page earlier.

OptimusLime

That's not gonna work with 720p screen. It also wouldn't be much better than current mobile VR even if they upped it to a 1440p screen.

Im thinking the Samsung-style VR but more refined. You have your handheld, but plug it into the headset and you get your better graphics from the "dock" in VR.

ggx2ac

Im thinking the Samsung-style VR but more refined. You have your handheld, but plug it into the headset and you get your better graphics from the "dock" in VR.

So apparently, none of the third party developers know that they are making games for a VR system?

MuchoMalo

Banned

I know what you were thinking. The 720p screen means that it wouldn't work well at all. It would need a good 1440p or better screen to really work.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There are so many rumors I don't know what to believe about the NX. It seems there is a new rumor every few days.

Astorgh

Has it been mentioned that this wednesday is Kimishima's first anniversary as President of Nintendo?

Wouldn't that be a good date for him to bring news directly to us for the first time?

Roo

Has it been mentioned that this wednesday is Kimishima's first anniversary as President of Nintendo?

Wouldn't that be a good date for him to bring news directly to us for the first time?

A year already?
Damn, time sure flies. I miss Iwata :(

ggx2ac

Kimishima: On the anniversary of my occupation as President and CEO of NCL, I will not give details of the NX at this time.

Dub117

There are so many rumors I don't know what to believe about the NX. It seems there is a new rumor every few days.
Yes and I need more. Moaarrr. Just give me a date so I can stop speculating about what I'm going to buy my son (me) in March. A date of a date will work. Or a date of a date of a date. I think I'm doing NintyGafing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom