• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
NUhoYHx.jpg

Otero covering NX confirmed :p

https://twitter.com/PeerIGN/status/774652664567083008

G-6... you sunk my... battleship??

And this is why third-party support will never improve for Nintendo. If they treat third-parties like they can't be trusted, why would anyone want anything to do with them? Nintendo desperately needs either a western or western-minded person at the helm of it all. Your dreams of a powerful Nintendo console are irrelevant otherwise.

Then again, this info may have come from one of your "sources" anyway, making everything I just said irrelevant. Yeah, nevermind. Forget that this post ever existed.
I think it's fine for a system that has not been formally revealed.
Pretty sure Traveler's Tales which leaked the gamepad redesign didn't have to do any of that, though.

I really do hope Nintendo announces NX soon because all this PS4 Pro and Scorpio talk on GAF has been boring and unexciting. Just increasing power has been boring for me.....

Fuck now all I want is a Wii like reveal with people going nuts over the name even though the name ended up being smart.

"Its called Wee Wee" or "I'm going to play with my Wii" posts were hilarious.

KAL2006

Banned
With the sub par PS4 Pro showing I wish Nintendo showed NX sooner. They can easily steal the show. If they come out with a nice hybrid that's $250 with some exciting games I think alot of people would consider a NX over a PS4 Pro

IM excited because we are finally getting the next fully supported portable

Vita is still my favorite gaming system and still has another year in it like the 3DS but I am already ready for the next major portable.

3DS games have been a huge nuisance for many genres and Vita has delivered but has no successor to look forward to

NX will hopefully be the definitive handheld going forward but I want a big leap and all the features that 3DS lacks built in

Enough compromises Nintendo

I also have a 55" 4KTV and watched the fireplace and other 4K content over the in built Netflix software (because it won't play back at 4K on Xbox or appletv) and while it was clearly more... Clear, the details are ones you lose once you aren't standing 10" from the screen. When I remember to wear my glasses though, it's really great.
For video content, the resolution difference between 1080p and 4K tends to be minimal under 60" (though sometimes a nature video will be amazing in 4K). Which is why you *really* want a 4ktv with HDR, because it's HDR that really makes a huge difference in 4ktvs. Having said that, games are different; I play Final Fantasy XIV on my 4ktv and it is very noticeably better looking compared to 1080p.

I'd be happy if NX supported 4K, but I don't think it's really a big deal. HDR support, though, would be stellar.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
And this is why third-party support will never improve for Nintendo. If they treat third-parties like they can't be trusted, why would anyone want anything to do with them? Nintendo desperately needs either a western or western-minded person at the helm of it all. Your dreams of a powerful Nintendo console are irrelevant otherwise.

Then again, this info may have come from one of your "sources" anyway, making everything I just said irrelevant. Yeah, nevermind. Forget that this post ever existed.

Surely you don't believe Nintendo is the only company who does NDAs?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm still standing by my original belief: Nintendo will reveal it in March 2017 and launch it Holiday (November) 2017.

Everyone misunderstood Nintendo and thought March is the release date but its the reveal date.

Eolz

I'm still standing by my original belief: Nintendo will reveal it in March 2017 and launch it Holiday (November) 2017.

Everyone misunderstood Nintendo and thought March is the release date but its the reveal date.

So Nintendo misunderstood Nintendo?

Surely you don't believe Nintendo is the only company who does NDAs?

This whole discussion is about how different companies are more likely to leak their products, and how the NDAs used by those companies can differ greatly between them. We're postulating that, if Nintendo's NDAs are so severe that they actually do a good job of preventing leaks they may also be too severe for some third parties to abide by, which can damage relations between those third parties and Nintendo.

ckfy63a

Let's just say Nintendo decides to drop a YouTube trailer sometime next week Pre-TGS that details the NX a la the 2005 TGS Revolution trailer (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPK3WxUH8Qg). This tactic would give third parties (especially those who might not have the opportunity to present at the full NX reveal/direct) a chance to reveal games at TGS. Would there be any ramifications for Nintendo NX, from a hype-building perspective?

TunaLover

Wii U would support full RGB mode if Nintendo wished, it only need an OS update, clearly shows that visual improvements are not Nintendo's top priority, even when there's no extra cost involved.

They must have misunderstood Nintendo when Nintendo said they'd talk about the NX this year.

Neoxon

Nintendo already said that they'd reveal the NX this year, with it hitting stores next March.

TunaLover

We're postulating that, if Nintendo's NDAs are so severe that they actually do a good job of preventing leaks they may also be too severe for some third parties to abide by, which can damage relations between those third parties and Nintendo.
I bet only a few third parties know full specs for NX, probably Square, Capcom, BN.

Davey Cakes

I enjoy the 3D as it adds a lot of depth to the game and sometimes makes things easier. It is a neat gimmick; It would be a shame to see it go.
3D isn't worth a hardware price increase, in my opinion. I'm pretty much good on no more 3D on Nintendo systems. VR is a different story, as I'll open my mind to it when it's more affordable. Currently, anything that keeps NX from being as lean as possible I'm completely against.

There are some worthwhile 3D experiences from what I've played on 3DS. For example, the "pop out" mode (as opposed to the "looking inside a box" mode) in Super Mario 3D Land helps with depth perception and moving in 3D space. It's noticeably beneficial. That said, when playing 3D World later on, I realized there are still enough cues, such as shadows, that show where you're moving. So 3D is merely nice but not necessary overall. It's a luxury that Nintendo systems don't particularly require.

They're better off chasing AR now and VR later, and leaving 3D in the dust.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Lost in translation. They probably meant 2017.

Lost in translation? I could have sworn this was mentioned at an Investors Meeting, which Nintendo officially translates. If Nintendo was not happy with the translation, they would have changed it.

Does anybody cares about 3d? VR is next till it fades away and people realize it's a gimmick

Doesn't VR have 3D visuals as well? I feel like these tech features aren't going to disappear since they really are fundamental matters of how we perceive things in our natural lives. Instead, we'll just see them pop up again and again in new ways. I mean, the idea of surround sound, which has existed for years, is related to what VR is now trying to accomplish.

MDave

Been thinking about motion control for the controllers. Maybe the dock can double up as something that can do positional tracking of the controllers, for true 3D space like the Oculus, PSVR and Vive controller positional tracking?

Would make for far more accurate and immersive motion controls, ones that do more then waggle in games. And if the tactile vibration feedback is in there too, that would be nice.

I can see Just Dance using the controllers in this way, as I don't think they would of bothered if it were just Wii basic motion controls again.
NX Sports as the pack in game would show how far along and more advanced motion controls have come.
In this way, the NX is more then just a portable that you dock to play on your TV.
But please Nintendo, don't compromise standard controller inputs for it!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The hype is getting a bit too much right now so I've been watching a bunch of BOTW videos to pass the time. I'm seeing things I apparently missed at E3. Huh. Man they really did show a hell of a lot of Zelda.

Do you guy think that Nintendo Force magazine is legit or faked

It's real. I have the issue right here. It's just detailing what's to come in the next issue though.

Nintendo Force is great, but it's a fan magazine. I doubt they have any info that we don't. They're just assuming the info will be out by the time the next issue is released.

I think it'd be interesting if you got some kind of extremely small display on the buttons -- such that the text on the buttons can change when the orientation of the controller changes. Maybe this has to do with that free form display deal we've heard about with Sharp in the past.
I already mentioned SHARP free form screen tech, how expensive are we talking here for those buttons? How do they feel pressing? How much battery power would they consume seeing as you wouldn't be looking at them all the time.

I now understand the Wonder Swan's controls having seen someone else explain it in this thread. That thing was ahead of it's time with playing in a vertical display or horizontal display mode.

There probably won't be the possibility of positioning the controllers anyway you want.

If there is:
I don't think just having colours will work because of colour blind people. Either the buttons have LCDs on them to display a,b,x,y and reorient the positioning or, come up with symbols that look the same when they change angle for example: A square button, a circle button, an X button, and... an octagonal button.

Oh, wow, that's an awesomely elegant solution.

Nice!
Maybe not so much elegant and more so an overly complex solution for such a trivial manner thought?

Using button sized Free Form displays has been brought various times when talking about Sharp's screens, i even remember ggx2ac did the exact same suggestion in one of these NX threads. But i don't think it's a practical way to implement such screens.

These button sized screens would remain obscured most of the time by the thumb (even multiple keys) and it wouldn't allow the potential tutorial functionality that a dynamic display could facilitate. The screens would be just too small.

Assuming is some kind of unavoidable mandate to use a Free Form Screen to have interactive button labels, something like this seems more functional from my pov:

Yes, the A button is repeated, i didn't want to change the A label.
  • The circular screen could be suspended on a physical click, so pressing the screen hard enough registers a physcial input.
  • The "A" in the center is a physical button. The others are Virtual Dynamic ones.
  • The A is used as a guide to click the screen in the 4 cardinal directions.
  • The user can combo A + Click in various directions.
  • The user can swipe the screen in various directions.
  • The screen can work as an scroll wheel for item selection.
  • The button propmpts can be dynamic and change depending on game conditions. Not much useful since the user's attention is on the main screen.
Personally i would preffer a Trackpad since it's cheaper. But some people find the idea to use a Free Form Display in this way interesting, because it looks "cool" to them.

It has some issues but also some advantages. However, you could put physical ABXY keys within the circular screen but the space requirement increases obviously. For a normal sized controller it could work.

But in reality there's various cheap solutions to the button orientation problem when in NES style:
  • Use the same nomenclature as the Dpad.
  • Use button iconography that is both symmetrical and retain the directional context independent of orientation. It could be bow arrows to give the idea of action/offense intead of the Dpad iconography for directions. Using triangles or pentagons works the same as well.
  • Transparent buttons with backlight labels within the buttons and external ones to the side. In normal orientation the light inside the buttons is on. In NES orientation the backlight labels to the side are on and the ones within are turned off. Side labels were used in the NES and SNES controllers so is quite fitting.
  • Fiber Optic filaments in patterns to lit the buttons.
And many other more cheap and practical ways.

Speaking of Transparent buttons and controller elements. There's some potentail interesting applicantions of using transparent or filtering parts on the controls. For example having image sensors for tracking the fingers on the surface. This way the control pad could actually have the scroll wheel functionality without needing dedicated physical buttons, this also helps giving the control L&R bumper functionality independant of orientation, if the NES style multiplay ends up been a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom