• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only would this piss off Trump by making him the 46th as opposed to 45th, it would let us have President Biden even for a short bit.

Wait wait wait, I just realized. If Obama does comment on the investigation, could he make an executive order to delay it until the investigation is over, and resign with the condition Ryan becomes the Vp? It's crazy I know.

oh boy'

I'm about to dream some crazy stuff
make this happen please

Not only would this piss off Trump by making him the 46th as opposed to 45th, it would let us have President Biden even for a short bit.

Wait wait wait, I just realized. If Obama does comment on the investigation, could he make an executive order to delay it until the investigation is over, and resign with the condition Ryan becomes the Vp? It's crazy I know.

Nah.

There will be very little said, if anything, about the current happenings. Don't hype yourself out -- if we see anything come from this it'll be months, if not years down the line.

President Biden would fucking rock tho ngl.

Nah.

There will be very little said, if anything, about the current happenings. Don't hype yourself out -- if we see anything come from this it'll be months, if not years down the line.

President Biden would fucking rock tho ngl.

is this the kind of Press conference where press can ask questions?

if so someone will bring it up.

Obama is not the type to say Fake News

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I heard about the press conference a week ago, it's probably going to be ordinary.

Yeah, probably one final reiteration of how important it is to ensure a smooth transition and let the democratic process play out.

ZOONAMI

I thought so too, but MSNBC said he has one at 2:30pm eastern today.

Hmm... maybe he's ready to drop big trump news.

I'm not sure if a more appropriate forum for announcing the arrest of trump would be an Oval Office address?

I suppose if you were gonna say so yeah FBI is arresting trump as we speak, press is going to have questions.

Clinging to a thread of hope.

I don't even know how that would work. Inauguration would still have to happen constitutionally, so sworn in, in jail?

Honestly probably better to let the inauguration happen and then arrest him next week. Then impeachment.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I'm not sure if a more appropriate forum for announcing the arrest of trump would be an Oval Office address?

I suppose if you were gonna say so yeah FBI is arresting trump as we speak, press is going to have questions.

The audacity of a fool's hope.

I don't even know how that would work. Inauguration would still have to happen constitutionally, so sworn in, in jail?

Honestly probably better to let the inauguration happen and then arrest him next week. Then impeachment.

He wouldn't announce ahead of time something like that unfortunately.

ZOONAMI

He wouldn't announce ahead of time something like that unfortunately.

Well, if it literally just happened? Lol.

Yeah the most I can realistically hope for is something along the lines of, "the IC has determined that there is real weight to the allegations of Trump being compromised by Russia."

Even that is a long shot. Press would explode into questions though, would be cool to see.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
C2eKqIyUsAAgRQW.jpg

More Than 100 Veterans Sign Letter Criticizing Trump For "Attacking" Intelligence Community

http://action.votevets.org/page/-/Media Files/finalintel.pdf

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lissandrav...trump?bftwnews&utm_term=.ti0LnVgVW#.dw881lelL

Sort of has to do with this but not really I guess.

Not this again. Remember the last one?

Exactly. Some twitter guy got everyone excited and nothing came from it. This is the same thing -- likely related to Chelsea Manning.

It's going to be a long long wait before anything substantial comes from this. If it ever does.

What if, hang with me here....what if Putin's response to the dossier, saying Trump attackers were "worse than prostitutes", was actually a veiled coded message to Trump to keep up the act?

"Worse than prostitutes" may be referring to the women on the tape, who could be underage sex slaves. We've found the REAL pizzagate!

...am I doing it right?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Exactly. Some twitter guy got everyone excited and nothing came from it. This is the same thing -- likely related to Chelsea Manning.

It's going to be a long long wait before anything substantial comes from this. If it ever does.

I'd say that even if NOTHING comes from this, it has already correctly and accurately defined this President. He is now a live, running scandal and will be until the end of his term, however slowly or quickly that arrives. It's a matter of how much nonsense the GOP will accept before acting, and how they will weigh alienating Trump fans versus risking their seats in the mid terms.

The true danger is that they will double down on that small base because losing it spells primary and mid term defeats. Their majorities in many places are slim and gerrymandered all to hell, and some are predictable - but fragile.

KHarvey16

he's going to be sworn in this Friday

as for what happens afterwards, who knows

My guess is any ongoing investigation will be squashed the second he's sworn in so we're basically fucked

It can't be squashed since it's happening in congress, and even if it could the US is not the only place where investigations are occurring. Journalists and governments the world over are looking now.

It can't be squashed since it's happening in congress, and even if it could the US is not the only place where investigations are occurring. Journalists and governments the world over are looking now.

I have no faith in our government at this point since it's GOP controlled. Even if intelligence agencies both in the US/rest of the world find something our soon to be commander in chief is going to call it fake just like everything else he doesn't approve of.

I imagine any hard evidence is in Putin's hands or was destroyed months ago after the election was over.

KHarvey16

I have no faith in our government at this point since it's GOP controlled. Even if intelligence agencies both in the US/rest of the world find something our soon to be commander in chief is going to call it fake just like everything else he doesn't approve of

He can do that regardless of who finds or releases it. If anything is actually proven it won't matter what he says.

GOP congress members will need to remain in the good graces of the alt-right to exert influence and pass legislation. Any investigation that would attempt to undermine the new regime would compromise that. In addition, the new regime will be ripping out anyone who could cause a problem as soon as possible.

The window of opportunity will close on Friday for anything to come from this. Afterwards, the US will need to survive what comes next - the attemped construction of a hard right post-democracy.

KHarvey16

GOP congress members will need to remain in the good graces of the alt-right to exert influence and pass legislation. Any investigation that would attempt to undermine the new regime would compromise that. In addition, the new regime will be ripping out anyone who could cause a problem as soon as possible.

The window of opportunity will close on Friday for anything to come from this. Afterwards, the US will need to survive what comes next - the attemped construction of a hard right post-democracy.

I don't think any of that is true at all. This is the same old "a bad thing happened and that means it's a sure thing only bad things will happen now" kind of cynicism.

JCreasy

Drip . . . drip . . .

FBI, 5 other agencies probe possible covert Kremlin aid to Trump

The FBI and five other law enforcement and intelligence agencies have collaborated for months in an investigation into Russian attempts to influence the November election, including whether money from the Kremlin covertly aided President-elect Donald Trump, two people familiar with the matter said.

The agencies involved in the inquiry are the FBI, the CIA, the National Security Agency, the Justice Department, the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network and representatives of the director of national intelligence, the sources said.

Investigators are examining how money may have moved from the Kremlin to covertly help Trump win, the two sources said. One of the allegations involves whether a system for routinely paying thousands of Russian-American pensioners may have been used to pay some email hackers in the United States or to supply money to intermediaries who would then pay the hackers, the two sources said.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article127231799.html#storylink=cpy

I don't think any of that is true at all. This is the same old "a bad thing happened and that means it's a sure thing only bad things will happen now" kind of cynicism.

Your eyes are closed if you can't see what is going on.

The winner of the election was a hard-right oligarch, who so far has consistently supported nothing but hard-right oligarchism.

A large minority of Americans only believe something if it comes directly from hard right news sources. They regard Fox News et al as the only non-biased sources of the truth. All other media is tainted by bias. Trump has a voter base that cannot be reasoned with, for any attempt at reason will be deflected or ignored.

This large minority views Trump et al at the means to reform Washington, changing the pre-existing democratic culture to one that has had it's "swamp drained". Trump's mandate is to run as an oligarch, as an autocrat, not as a democratic president. The democratic institutions are corrupt and weak, and Trump will bring a reformation of them. Anyone that stands in his way can be replaced.

This is a cocktail that can only lead one way - towards a weakening of America's democratic institutions and a solidification of control by the alt-right who have claimed power.

Those that claim power for power's sake will seek to secure it. And if they bear no love for the institutions they now run, they will seek to reshape them.

It is now acceptable for political parties in the US to be targeted by intelligence agencies. It is now acceptable to invent propaganda and distort facts, to make the truth relative. These are dangerous things to be acceptable. It will only get worse. It seems inevitable that the free and open internet will be targeted. It seems inevitable that the ability of the independent press to hold government to account will be attacked.

We have a model for how this was done before, in post-Soviet Russia. The eroding of democracy and its replacement by an oligarch elite that controls in totality the avenues to power and influence, whilst still existing within the shape of a democracy - that has happened before.

I don't think I am alarmist here. This is the trajectory of the path the alt-right is trodding. They have power, influence and a large electorate that is in thrall. Trump must be seen for what he is - not just as a joke, a thing crazy racists elected as a FU to the political elite - but as the spearhead of a movement that may transform America into a place where Trump, and his successors, are firmly entrenched in power.

I'd say that even if NOTHING comes from this, it has already correctly and accurately defined this President. He is now a live, running scandal and will be until the end of his term, however slowly or quickly that arrives. It's a matter of how much nonsense the GOP will accept before acting, and how they will weigh alienating Trump fans versus risking their seats in the mid terms.

The true danger is that they will double down on that small base because losing it spells primary and mid term defeats. Their majorities in many places are slim and gerrymandered all to hell, and some are predictable - but fragile.

Oh, no doubt. It was pretty clear from the outset that Trump's campaign and his run as president would be rife with scandal and controversy. So this sort of thing settling in the week of his inauguration is no surprise.

The question is, will the GOP care how much nonsense and scandal Trump creates when it empowers the alt-right, which is a large portion of where their power is coming from right now?

KHarvey16

Your eyes are closed if you can't see what is going on.

The winner of the election was a hard-right oligarch, who so far has consistently supported nothing but hard-right oligarchism.

A large minority of Americans only believe something if it comes directly from hard right news sources. They regard Fox News et al as the only non-biased sources of the truth. All other media is tainted by bias. Trump has a voter base that cannot be reasoned with, for any attempt at reason will be deflected or ignored.

This large minority views Trump et al at the means to reform Washington, changing the pre-existing democratic culture to one that has had it's "swamp drained". Trump's mandate is to run as an oligarch, as an autocrat, not as a democratic president. The democratic institutions are corrupt and weak, and Trump will bring a reformation of them. Anyone that stands in his way can be replaced.

This is a cocktail that can only lead one way - towards a weakening of America's democratic institutions and a solidification of control by the alt-right who have claimed power.

Those that claim power for power's sake will seek to secure it. And if they bear no love for the institutions they now run, they will seek to reshape them.

It is now acceptable for political parties in the US to be targeted by intelligence agencies. It is now acceptable to invent propaganda and distort facts, to make the truth relative. These are dangerous things to be acceptable. It will only get worse. It seems inevitable that the free and open internet will be targeted. It seems inevitable that the ability of the independent press to hold government to account will be attacked.

We have a model for how this was done before, in post-Soviet Russia. The eroding of democracy and its replacement by an oligarch elite that controls in totality the avenues to power and influence, whilst still existing within the shape of a democracy - that has happened before.

I don't think I am alarmist here. This is the trajectory of the path the alt-right is trodding. They have power, influence and a large electorate that is in thrall. Trump must be seen for what he is - not just as a joke, a thing crazy racists elected as a FU to the political elite - but as the spearhead of a movement that may transform America into a place where Trump, and his successors, are firmly entrenched in power.

Millions more people voted the other way. Do not confuse the unique circumstances of one election as an unstoppable trend.

Millions more people voted the other way. Do not confuse the unique circumstances of one election as an unstoppable trend.

This. FFS people he didn't win by a super big landslide.

More people are afraid of Trump than they are with him. Remember that not only did he lose the popular vote, he's going in with a negative approval rating.

Toxi

Banned
I felt a little better about the election when I talked to a co-worker whose first major Presidential election was 1972.

Pomerlaw

This. FFS people he didn't win by a super big landslide.

More people are afraid of Trump than they are with him. Remember that not only did he lose the popular vote, he's going in with a negative approval rating.

Can he get more popular with time?

If he can control media, maybe he can? Remember those big manifestations in Russia a few years ago... Where are these people now? They all fallen in line?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Jim Acosta ‏@Acosta
Obama dubs stories of voter fraud... "fake news."

Not watching the conference since I am at work but picking up comments on twitter.

Jim Acosta ‏@Acosta

Not watching the conference since I am at work but picking up comments on twitter.

I haven't been watching the conference either, so I'd like to see this in a full quote. In any case, outright voter fraud isn't what's being discussed.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I haven't been watching the conference either, so I'd like to see this in a full quote. In any case, outright voter fraud isn't what's being discussed.

Sorry completely different thing. This was the full context.

Obama calls threat of voter fraud 'fake news,' says US is only democracy that makes it harder and not easier to vote.

Trump won because of a couple hundred thousand stupid people in the Midwest

He's starting farther behind the 8 ball than any other recent President and he's highly unlikely to swing people his way

Jim Acosta ‏@Acosta

Sadly I think that's the case. I hate to believe that the American people can be so blind and/or hateful, but that is what the evidence shows. With that said, Russia clearly attempted to influence the election. The only question is how much the Trump campaign was involved.

Can he get more popular with time?

If he can control media, maybe he can? Remember those big manifestations in Russia a few years ago... Where are these people now? They all fallen in line?

A President's approval rating is typically at its highest during transition. Being below water even before inauguration is not good news.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Sadly I think that's the case. I hate to believe that the American people can be so blind and/or hateful, but that is what the evidence shows. With that said, Russia clearly attempted to influence the election. The only question is how much the Trump campaign was involved.

I haven't seen anyone on the left claiming voter fraud. Voter fraud is the GOP's bullshit argument as to why Trump actually won the popular vote.

I haven't seen anyone on the left claiming voter fraud. Voter fraud is the GOP's bullshit argument as to why Trump actually won the popular vote.

Jill Stein did, but there was also reports that she was also involved with Russia. Maybe she was sincere in her protests, but it's also possible that she simply wanted to cloud the legitimate issues with the election.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Jill Stein did, but there was also reports that she was also involved with Russia. Maybe she was sincere in her protests, but it's also possible that she simply wanted to cloud the legitimate issues with the election.

Jill Stein is a fucking moron and independent, not exactly who I was talking about when I said "the left." Nobody cares what she has to say.

He was talking about in the context of efforts to make it harder to vote and how the justification, "voter fraud," is all based off of "fake news."

Fake news will probably run with that comment being about Russia, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom