• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
He was talking about in the context of efforts to make it harder to vote and how the justification, "voter fraud," is all based off of "fake news."

Fake news will probably run with that comment being about Russia, tho.

Fox News will be running that tonight. The quote I posted will be easiest thing to take out of context.

Syncytia

Only concern is Trump's appointed people stonewalling this investigation.

I bet if there's any substance to any of these claims and people from Trump's team try and block further investigation, someone will tell the press and it will be publicly known they are trying to prevent investigation. At minimum. If the substance is bad enough and investigations are being blocked, we could even get some of the evidence leaked.

He was talking about in the context of efforts to make it harder to vote and how the justification, "voter fraud," is all based off of "fake news."

Fake news will probably run with that comment being about Russia, tho.

Yeah unfortunately Trump has co-opted the term "fake news" to be associated with any allegations against him. It may be a long time before Democrats can undo many of the voter suppression laws put in place.

Vixdean

I bet if there's any substance to any of these claims and people from Trump's team try and block further investigation, someone will tell the press and it will be publicly known they are trying to prevent investigation. At minimum. If the substance is bad enough and investigations are being blocked, we could even get some of the evidence leaked.

Yep, basically this. Our law enforcement and intelligence agencies are massive bureaucratic machines where information is passed around to a multitude of parties and openly shared between each other. That was the one of the good things to come out of the Patriot Act and creating DHS. A government wide effort to suppress a legitimate investigation isn't really feasible.

Trump won because of a couple hundred thousand stupid people in the Midwest

nah, he won because of a couple stupid people in Brooklyn.

Dem post mortem shows like a dozen places where they could have easily picked up a couple percentage points if they had just actually put some effort into it. they flew home every day to watch flattering TV coverage yet couldn't be bothered to actually go to states. they had tons of energized help from the left (specifically Bernie & BLM) and they worked as hard as they could to keep those elements at arms length. could've given Sanders the VP slot or BLM some real power.

they isolated the far left where Trump embraced the far right. no wonder turnout was low.

Dem post mortem shows like a dozen places where they could have easily picked up a couple percentage points if they had just actually put some effort into it. they flew home every day to watch flattering TV coverage yet couldn't be bothered to actually go to states. they had tons of energized help from the left (specifically Bernie & BLM) and they worked as hard as they could to keep those elements at arms length. could've given Sanders the VP slot or BLM some real power.

they isolated the far left where Trump embraced the far right. no wonder turnout was low.

Where?

pompidu

The amount of people who voted against Trump means absolutely nothing, Trump and the GOP are the only ones with power, and if you think they won't exercise that power to its extremes, I got some bad news for you.

Nafai1123

Banned

Can we stop pretending this is a either/or situation? Yes, the campaign could've done things differently which could've easily resulted in a win. That does not negate the fact that many on the left were at odds with the campaign and the Democratic party in general, no matter what they did.

We do not live in a world where one single reason can be used as the sole excuse for the loss. People on the left who never liked Hillary or her campaign just use that as an excuse to deflect, just like people who like Hillary use those far-left contrarians as an excuse to deflect. Neither argument is wrong, but the idea that you can somehow sum up everything that happened into a nice, singular reason for the loss is just disingenuous.

The amount of people who voted against Trump means absolutely nothing, Trump and the GOP are the only ones with power, and if you think they won't exercise that power to its extremes, I got some bad news for you.

I believe the margins were brought up more to counter fatalism over future percentages, rather than to lay blame on one cause, or mitigate a claim of a mandate. Nobody is going assume goodwill on the part of the GOP.

Anyway, today we learn that the IC and Steele arrived at much the same conclusion independently. Just what you'd expect from Nazis and fakenewsers respectively.

GOP congress members will need to remain in the good graces of the alt-right to exert influence and pass legislation. Any investigation that would attempt to undermine the new regime would compromise that. In addition, the new regime will be ripping out anyone who could cause a problem as soon as possible.

The window of opportunity will close on Friday for anything to come from this. Afterwards, the US will need to survive what comes next - the attemped construction of a hard right post-democracy.

It'll be interesting what roadblocks there will be, if any, in the Republican controlled congress. I'm expecting Omnibus after Omnibus bill with public outcry but it passing anyway.

Eric Schultz ‏@EricSchultz Jan 14
Look out, twitter - the shackles come off January 21st!

That was tweeted by the Press Secretary of the White House. Not sure if that means he will be annoying Trump on Twitter or he has info.

The former, I'm sure. If he had info, he'd have presented it to the CIA or FBI by now.

ZOONAMI

Eric Schultz ‏@EricSchultz Jan 14
Look out, twitter - the shackles come off January 21st!
https://twitter.com/EricSchultz/status/820303591458172928
That was tweeted by the Press Secretary of the White House. Not sure if that means he will be annoying Trump on Twitter or he has info.
The fact that I can't find a gif of "Let the Shackles be unleashed!" pissed me off.

I'm 100% willing to bet he's just going to troll Trump 24/7 though

Apharmd

I believe the margins were brought up more to counter fatalism over future percentages, rather than to lay blame on one cause, or mitigate a claim of a mandate. Nobody is going assume goodwill on the part of the GOP.

Anyway, today we learn that the IC and Steele arrived at much the same conclusion independently. Just what you'd expect from Nazis and fakenewsers respectively.

Eh? More details on this, please?

Nevermind. Saw John Schindler's twitter.

Nafai1123

Banned
I hope Obama takes the gloves off once out of office. Quite frankly I'm a bit tired of the optimism and hope when the Orang Anti-Christ is taking over Friday. I want him to go for the fucking jugular. Help take this beast down now that you don't have to comply with the peaceful transfer of power rhetoric.

Avixph

I hope Obama takes the gloves off once out of office. Quite frankly I'm a bit tired of the optimism and hope when the Orang Anti-Christ is taking over Friday. I want him to go for the fucking jugular. Help take this beast down now that you don't have to comply with the peaceful transfer of power rhetoric.
What if something happens to him?

I doubt that Obama will do much trash-talking about Trump. Instead, he'll focus on lower-level areas like combating disenfranchisement and helping get Congress back. It's exactly the kind of long-term strategy the Democrats need instead of settling for the presidency. If this were a Democrat-controlled Congress, the prospect of a Trump presidency would be much less scary. The more that Democrats allow disenfranchisement and gerrymandering to continue, the harder it will be to win any significant elections.

jelly

He will still have top security. I do fear for him though because the lunatics just got there lunatic president and won't take kindly to people knocking him down and Trump is an idiot who will encourage them.

He will still have top security. I do fear for him though because the lunatics just got there lunatic president and won't take kindly to people knocking him down and Trump is an idiot who will encourage them.

Obama is going to stay out of the spotlight for a bit. His goal is to help the party reorganize and come back strong in 2018 and 2020. He doesn't need to be front and center giving huge public speeches to accomplish that. He has life long Secret Service protection as well.

Nafai1123

Banned

Well luckily he's got secret service protection for the rest of his life, but yeah that's certainly a risk. If something were to happen to him though I don't see how that helps his detractors. It would martyrize him in the eyes of many Americans. God forbid that happens though.

I doubt that Obama will do much trash-talking about Trump. Instead, he'll focus on lower-level areas like combating disenfranchisement and helping get Congress back. It's exactly the kind of long-term strategy the Democrats need instead of settling for the presidency. If this were a Democrat-controlled Congress, the prospect of a Trump presidency would be much less scary. The more that Democrats allow disenfranchisement and gerrymandering to continue, the harder it will be to win any significant elections.

Definitely agree with this too, but I don't think he needs to decide one way or another. He should be able to criticize the POTUS while still fighting to get back Congress. I do think he could be one of the most effective voices for fighting against Democrat disenfranchisement for sure.

Funny how FBI has been investigating for months and don't comment but gives us updates on emails.
The FBI had no reason to go public as most of the actual public weren't really aware of much of the Russia ties at that point*. The Buzzfeed leak kind of forced a lot of things to surface, including what the FBI has been looking into other than what they've publicly said they were looking into (Hillary emails).

Swaths of the FBI being pro-Trump has been a thing that's been said for some time now, and it all makes so much sense, in hindsight.

*I'm not defending them, here, btw.

BowieZ

Banned
Swaths of the FBI being pro-Trump has been a thing that's been said for some time now, and it all makes so much sense, in hindsight.
Is there a good article somewhere about just why FBI became Trump-land?

It's troubling to me that such an agency can become so partisan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there a good article somewhere about just why FBI became Trump-land?

It's troubling to me that such an agency can become so partisan.

Law enforcement always skews right wing at the basement level, and Comey was a very political pick by a republican president. However Obama erred by keeping him as an olive branch to a party that had no interest whatsoever in compromise or collaboration.

They have, from day one, fought the president by rule, regardless of the policy or subject. They have as a party, abdicated their responsibility to run the country in favor of partisan power juggling, and unfortunately, they have used racism, hatred and falsehood to energize their base and members, and now have a cluster of Tea Party know-nothings, hyper-right wing neo and retro cons and very few "normal" republican politicians, period. It's a mess that they doubled down on at every turn.

The current philosophy is Hate Things and Destroy or Privatize Public Institutions. No other focus.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The FBI had no reason to go public as most of the actual public weren't really aware of much of the Russia ties at that point*. The Buzzfeed leak kind of forced a lot of things to surface, including what the FBI has been looking into other than what they've publicly said they were looking into (Hillary emails).

*I'm not defending them, here, btw.

I get they are not allowed to comment just funny how it how played out. Hindsight is a bitch.

Fbi is always Republican since it started with Hoover.

DrBo42

Law enforcement always skews right wing at the basement level, and Comey was a very political pick by a republican president. However Obama erred by keeping him as an olive branch to a party that had no interest whatsoever in compromise or collaboration.

They have, from day one, fought the president by rule, regardless of the policy or subject. They have as a party, abdicated their responsibility to run the country in favor of partisan power juggling, and unfortunately, they have used racism, hatred and falsehood to energize their base and members, and now have a cluster of Tea Party know-nothings, hyper-right wing neo and retro cons and very few "normal" republican politicians, period. It's a mess that they doubled down on at every turn.

The current philosophy is Hate Things and Destroy or Privatize Public Institutions. No other focus.

Welcome back Stinkles.

I'll save you all the click but inforwars posted that there's going to be a tape release within 48hrs prior to inauguration day.

This won't be the piss tape. This is the same tape Tom Arnold was referring to.

Again, it's inforwars, so.... High chance of it being 100% bullshit haha.

Annnnnnnnnnd... Surprise surprise, it was fake news. Infowars got played by a twitter troll lol.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/...ompletely-fake?utm_term=.qwz9WE6kK#.lqDLXBPKd

"I was watching a CNN discussion on fake news and I got interested in it. That guy [Watson] was retweeted into my timeline, some horrible thing he posted about mental health, and I saw his profile had direct messages open," Muir told BuzzFeed News.

"I wondered how fake news starts so I quickly set up a fake account, didn't bother following anyone, used a stupid picture of a bad guy from a film ... and sent him a message. I didn't think he'd get back to me because it was ludicrous."​

Seems like this is shaping up to be just another controversy that everyone talks about for a few days and then is forgotten. Trump is invincible I guess.

Seems like this is shaping up to be just another controversy that everyone talks about for a few days and then is forgotten. Trump is invincible I guess.

The CNN/Buzzfeed combo was built on top of the existing intelligence briefings/denials, so any further developments by the investigation or foreign sources will be released into the context of the dozens of 15-minute-controversies about Russia.

Let's just skip to the part where a proofed accusation emerges, then he calls Dem legislators, the IC and ~72% of the nation traitors and demands their citizenship be revoked. I'm tired of waiting, just like the election (and in that case it would have been better to hold the vote one or two months early.)

rjinaz

Yep pretty much. Despite everything that keeps piling up, damn those liberals for talking bad about an honest man that has dedicated his life to the people.

epmode

There's very little verified information, if any. What do you expect?

Lots of people are looking into the allegations right now. Give it time.

NO HE IS FUCKING NOT.

These things don't just happen in a matter of weeks. This was stuff that was known before and only just made more apparent now.

There's going to be Senate hearings on this and the IC is still going to do everything in its power to find proof, even under Trump.

You people need to stop saying that he's invincible. Because he's not.

NO MAN IN THE WORLD IS FUCKING INVINCIBLE.

One of these things will bite Trump in the ass eventually. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But it WILL happen.

There's going to be Senate hearings on this and the IC is still going to do everything in its power to find proof, even under Trump.

Yes. Although, given the precedent established through the prior year, it's hard to completely deny the possibility that they'll sit on some evidence if it's too destabilizing or not foolproof enough. Hopefully that won't be/is not the case.

UberTag

Yes. Although, given the precedent established through the prior year, it's hard to completely deny the possibility that they'll sit on some evidence if it's too destabilizing or not foolproof enough. Hopefully that won't be/is not the case.
There is no hole deep enough that Trump's wallet can't dig himself out of. That's been a lesson he has subscribed to his entire life.

Seems like there's a lot of folks in denial posting today.
Denial that their nation's institutions have been forever polluted and compromised.

Can't you just admit that there's no coming back from this?
I mean, there's no coming back from global warming either at this point.

Humanity fucked up. It's okay. Perhaps we'll do better with our next planet.
At least you can tell your kids you were alive when, for a little while, integrity and the truth still mattered.

There is no hole deep enough that Trump's wallet can't dig himself out of. That's been a lesson he has subscribed to his entire life.

I was speaking about actions/possible inaction on the opposing end, not his capacity for quick escapes, which seems to be caused by media/GOP apathy, not wallets and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom