• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Alienous

The explanations for why someone would lie about being Chris is more far fetched than the reasons why he really is Chris.

If he is some evil dude, why would he lie? It's not like Ethan has a choice in the matter where they couldn't kidnap him by force. He's exhausted and surrounded by dudes in military gear and guns.

Not to mention that if you didn't look exactly like Chris, which seems to be the basis of that theory, why would you reveal your face?

"I'm Redfield"
"Are you sure, because I can't see you face? Could you take the helmet off"
"No, fuck you, bioterrorism, I'm Redfield"

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Literally I think we can sum it up like this.

The ending was originally supposed to be "oh wow that's chris!" But do to the new engine and actor scanning, they realized they fucked up on the face and it was too late to change it. Which is the only reason the whole "is that even him?" Thing started.

If it was the exact same scene but it was exactly the model from RE6 no one would question it. Just capcom screwing the pooch. Rather than trying to make some cool twist.

Not true. I questioned if it was really Chris not because of his appearance and more the fact he's flying around in an Umbrella helicopter.

The explanations for why someone would lie about being Chris is more far fetched than the reasons why he really is Chris.

If he is some evil dude, why would he lie? It's not like Ethan has a choice in the matter where they couldn't kidnap him by force. He's exhausted and surrounded by dudes in military gear and guns.

For real, Ethan's face is raising a hell of a lot more questions than Chris's. Ripped assets aside, they went through a hell of a lot of trouble to hide his face. What if he's another Wesker and the ripped assets were just a placeholder?

archvile7

For real, Ethan's face is raising a hell of a lot more questions than Chris's. Ripped assets aside, they went through a hell of a lot of trouble to hide his face. What if he's another Wesker and the ripped assets were just a placeholder?

It's MGS:V Ground Zeroes medic//Boss/Kiefer Sutherland all over again.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's rare that you see a character's face in a FP game. Let alone leave the perspective of that character and see their body.

It's MGS:V Ground Zeroes medic//Boss/Kiefer Sutherland all over again.

I was thinking that the Redfield discussion felt a lot like the MGSV stuff (mainly how Ocelot looked different so people thought it wasn't him)

It's rare that you see a character's face in a FP game. Let alone leave the perspective of that character and see their body.

Fair enough. But they said Resident Evil 7 is Ethan's story and you don't know shit about him by the end of it lol. I think Ethan conspiracies are more fun that Chris ones anyway
What if Eveline was created by the rival company, and New Umbrella took their work and perfected it, and Ethan is an Umbrella's E series.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So if it was the exact mode from RE6, you'd think it was a clone?

Doesn't have to be a clone. Could be brainwashing. Or Chris is doing a heel turn (hah) .Or could be someone pretending to be Chris for whatever reason.I do not know but Chris hanging with Umbrella was a giant red flag when I first seen the ending.

ArjanN

Idk the title of the DLC "Not a Hero" also pushes the idea that he may not be who we think it is. This genuinely feels like the staff wanted people to craft theories on who that may be. It's hard for me to have this "well all of this is completely rational and here's why" mentality on this when this is Resident Evil at the end of the day.

Even if it eventually does turn out to just be Chris, I find it hard to believe anyone would seriously argue the ending wasn't meant to raise questions around his identity.

While Resident Evil definitely has has silly/dumb stuff in it, the writing in RE7 specifically is way too much on point for that to be coincidental.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just finished this yesterday, really liked it a lot. So, whatever happened to Lucas? And boy, choosing to save Zoe is really really dumb.

Jawmuncher

Doesn't have to be a clone. Could be brainwashing. Or Chris is doing a heel turn (hah) .Or could be someone pretending to be Chris for whatever reason.I do not know but Chris hanging with Umbrella was a giant red flag when I first seen the ending.

That's what I was getting at. The first too mainly.
If this looked exactly like chris, I don't think there'd be as large of a camp for the third point. Unless he had kept his mask on the entire time, and said his name.

ArjanN

I just finished this yesterday, really liked it a lot. So, whatever happened to Lucas? And boy, choosing to save Zoe is really really dumb.

He runs off and isn't seen again in the main game. The Not A Hero DLC will have Lucas in it, so you'll probably have an actual fight with him in that. It was a pretty obvious loose end.

I did pick Zoe the first time but that was intentional since I knew I was going to the play game again right after anyway and get the other ending. That said it's handled pretty clumsily, and clearly not the canon choice.

Jawmuncher

But her article was published in 2016,it confirms that she survived the Raccoon City outbreak.

Uh, the news article she wrote is from 2017, safe to assume she survived RC.

8yyv0.gif

Well we see Ethan's body at least two times. Once when he's all cocooned in the ship and again when we get the flashback from the third person of him being tossed into the wall by Mia. Both times the face is heavily obscured.

emb

Beat the game a couple days ago and loved it.

- That was probably Chris. Seems simplest just to assume he was being honest. Obviously it looks close enough to classic Chris that we're meant to think it is, at least at first. Gonna be more complicated than that of course though.

- Kinda glad we're getting DLC to fill in some gaps, but also kinda upset. I was really impressed with the later narrative and the ending that raised more questions than answers. I hate to see important bits of the game chopped out and added later like that though. Looking forward to RE8.

- Lucas was so well written. That last talk with him, you think is building up to a boss fight. Then a bunch of big stuff goes down, and you forget about him for a while. Listening back to his last cutscene dialog though, I realize he kinda goes 'yeah, not today'. Going back and watching replays, I enjoyed catching the foreshadowing from the Sewer Gators and his picture.

- I heard people say Lucas escapes to the salt mine. Where do we see this? I saw the old emails from him in the lab, and I heard about his encrypted messages on the radio, but those are the only traces I found later on.

- I'm really glad the creepiest character (grandma) turned out to be important. Love the touch that she's not in any of the family pics. Reading the file about accelerated aging was kinda this 'oh, maybe...' moment, and then going back to the Guest House and picking up the picture was an 'OH' moment. Worked perfectly on me, but could have easily ruined itself if I had thought more about that first picture at the time.

- Also loved going back to the Guest House in general. Feels good to go full circle. Thinking about it now, it's kinda weird that old Evie was there instead of the Main House, where she resided the whole game. I'm not complaining though, going back to the very start was wonderful.

- Best moments of the game by far were around the end of the Old House. Creepiest individual moment goes to Marguerite's long arm reaching out to grab her lantern. But the scariest part of the game, certainly, was going through the kid's area upstairs. There's so much good build up to it. That part of the game, even after getting too scared and giving up on VR, I still ran through those dark rooms as quick as possible because I was terrified. Just wanted to get the arm and leave ASAP.

- Some stuff didn't make sense. Why did Evie want to kill Ethan? If she wanted to, what stopped her? Why didn't Zoe get taken control of if she was infected enough to need the serum? How did Mia's video tape get moved back to the main house?

- Watched Beginning Hour, and apparently they cleaned up the place before authorities came to take a look at the end of that? Really weird, doesn't seem like Eveline's style.

- Mad about Zoe's ending. Happy I didn't pick it, but the way the setup goes, would have been perfect to play as her in that later section. Feel like that had to have been planned at some point, and just scrapped for schedule/budget. If they did have her playable though, I don't know what they would have been able to explain. Maybe better would have been to explain, at all, why we wake up as Mia washed ashore; jarring bait and switch. Really, should have probably just dropped the choice.

- I hope we see RE7 use the 3-4 new characters that survived. Classic RE folks are getting old (physically in the story), hopefully Ethan and Mia survive the Umbrella stuff and become mainstays. Lucas will turn up again as a villain I'd imagine. I say 3-4 because I'm not 100% sure on Zoe's status in the real ending, though it seems implied that she dies? Then again, seemed implied that Mia died in Zoe's ending.

Jawmuncher

I never want to see Ethan and Mia again. I hope they die offscreen before RE8. I'd rather see more new characters than those two bores. Ethan doesn't even have a damn officially revealed face.

Lucas is in th Not a Hero DLC, chris is after him.

I never want to see Ethan and Mia again. I hope they die offscreen before RE8. I'd rather see more new characters than those two bores. Ethan doesn't even have a damn officially revealed face.

Your opinions are insane! Ethan is the man, chill as shit, dude gets his hand chopped off and he goes all scarface like "okay you wanna play rough?". Not even Leon can handle the beat down Ethan received.

Jawmuncher

Your opinions are insane! Ethan is the man, chill as shit, dude gets his hand chopped off and he goes all scarface like "okay you wanna play rough?". Not even Leon can handle the beat down Ethan received.

That's part of why I don't like him. For being a regular joe character. He took a lot of damage better than the RE main cast would. That isn't a problem per se. But the whole "shrouded in mystery" angle I feel doesn't work here.

If we do get RE8 and it's ethan with more backstory and such, I'd probably warm up more to him. Just right now I question a lot about that dude.

emb

I'd have to agree to disagree. By default I don't care about the new characters, so they have to introduce them tactfully. This semi-reboot title did a great job of starting semi-fresh, and now I feel attached to the new characters we do have. I just hate seeing game series introduce new characters over and over and never really double down on any of them.

Really, in 8 I'd probably want to see Mia as the star along with some other character, and Ethan making a cameo (complete with face!) later on.

Jawmuncher

I'd have to agree to disagree. By default I don't care about the new characters, so they have to introduce them tactfully. This semi-reboot title did a great job of starting semi-fresh, and now I feel attached to the new characters we do have. I just hate seeing game series introduce new characters over and over and never really double down on any of them.

Really, in 8 I'd probably want to see Mia as the star along with some other character, and Ethan making a cameo (complete with face!) later on.

If they do come back. I'd definitely want ethan to have his face shown, and more backstory for the both of them.

I actually dont mind if Ethan returns in any kind of RE title. Mia though, ehhhh. Despite all the attention she got I couldn't really care about her.

emb

Also, another thing I enjoyed about my playthrough: my name is Ethan and my 11-year-old, dark-haired niece's name is Evelynne (we usually call her Evee). She was hanging out with me while I played the last 3rd of the game. Crazy coincidental, lol.

pantsmith

Interesting opinion.

Mia was kind of annoying in the scheme of the game, but Ethan has the DNA of a great Resident Evil protagonist; he's tough as nails, has survived his own harrowing encounter with bioweapons, and now seems to have residual health and recovery powers that would allow him to plausibly deal with dangerous situations going forward.

Akiller

I feel like after all the praise it got the first person gameplay will be back in RE8 too, so we'll go through the same bullshit again rotfl.

Jawmuncher

Interesting opinion.

Mia was kind of annoying in the scheme of the game, but Ethan has the DNA of a great Resident Evil protagonist; he's tough as nails, has survived his own harrowing encounter with bioweapons, and now seems to have residual health and recovery powers that would allow him to plausibly deal with dangerous situations going forward.

My other posts detail a bit more my side of things. I don't necessarily hate ethan as much as that post seems. But I definitely need more from capcom to really consider him. He needs an official face reveal for starters, and more backstory.

I know the big rebuttal would "But the old RE characters didn't have much character", which might be the case. But times change so I don't think standards for those characters original reveals apply now.

carlsojo

Ethan and Mia are fine. Bring Ethan back just so the poor bastard can have more of his extremities cut off and reattached.

"I seriously can't even feel my fingers in this hand anymore." The lines write themselves!

If anything I hope Zoe comes back as the central protagonist if the next game takes place in Dulvey.

I feel like after all the praise it got the first person gameplay will be back in RE8 too, so we'll go through the same bullshit again rotfl.

I mean they did build an entire engine for first person/VR. If 7 was even semisuccessful the plan was probably to use it for 8 as well. I'm pretty positive RE2make will be in first person/VR as well.

Jawmuncher

DLC have a date yet?

Which? It's up on PC and Xbox now.

Not A Hero is still spring (Probably May)

Last piece of DLC is just this year, probably closer to the end.

I mean they did build an entire engine for first person/VR. If 7 was even semisuccessful the plan was probably to use it for 8 as well. I'm pretty positive RE2make will be in first person/VR as well.

The REengine was built up for more than just First Persona and VR. Don't be surprised to see it as the main engine on new games we see getting announced in the coming years.
I also don't think RE2make will be First Person/VR only. I could see it maybe being an option, but the design document for that game would have been a year in a bit more by the time RE7 came out.
Unless they had already banked on first person and went all in even on future projects before RE7 came out. But I don't think even capcom would go that far.

kc44135

Well guys, at this point, I'm pretty much in the camp that the guy in the ending is actually Chris, and he just had major plastic surgery or something, lol. I don't think we were ever meant to question if it was him or not, we were just meant to question why he's with Umbrella. Perhaps Vendetta will give us an answer, and tie into "Not a Hero"? I personally think that would be pretty cool. Also, I'm curious about something...

Assuming RE8 is first-person (which I think is pretty much guaranteed, given 7's reception), what would y'all think of having third-person cutscenes in conjunction with first-person gameplay? My only gripe with 7's perspective is the lack of actual cutscenes. I personally think cinematic third-person cutscenes can add a great deal to any game's story, especially since it allows us to actually see our character, something 7 never does (it would also allow us to see how our character is dressed, re-opening the way for goofy costumes). I personally think RE8 could benefit from having actual cutscenes, rather than the shitty "stand in place and look around while stuff happens" scripted sequences it currently has, all of which are unskippable and downright annoying to sit through on repeat playthroughs. Other first-person games have had third-person cutscenes as well, so I don't think it would really be all that controversial of a change, but what do you guys think?

It's really hard judging RE7's story as a whole because the whole thing isn't out yet. Which is not really what you want a game to do, but it's Capcom so it's not a complete surprise.

Ethan's an awesome RE protagonist right now. Mia's not so great, but she has enough shady stuff around her where I could see them going places with it (Better than Ada's continuous bullshit)

Jawmuncher

Well guys, at this point, I'm pretty much in the camp that the guy in the ending is actually Chris, and he just had major plastic surgery or something, lol. I don't think we were ever meant to question if it was him or not, we were just meant to question why he's with Umbrella. Perhaps Vendetta will give us an answer, and tie into "Not a Hero"? I personally think that would be pretty cool. Also, I'm curious about something...

Assuming RE8 is first-person (which I think is pretty much guaranteed, given 7's reception), what would y'all think of having third-person cutscenes in conjunction with first-person gameplay? My only gripe with 7's perspective is the lack of actual cutscenes. I personally think cinematic third-person cutscenes can add a great deal to any game's story, especially since it allows us to actually see our character, something 7 never does (it would also allow us to see how our character is dressed, re-opening the way for goofy costumes). I personally think RE8 could benefit from having actual cutscenes, rather than the shitty "stand in place and look around while stuff happens" scripted sequences it currently has, all of which are unskippable and downright annoying to sit through on repeat playthroughs. Other first-person games have had third-person cutscenes as well, so I don't think it would really be all that controversial of a change, but what do you guys think?

I definitely think we need actual cutscenes. One they help with speed runs since they can be skipped. Yep they help with playable character development if we look at how the RE7 cutscenes were. The only problem is the VR support. But that's a small price to pay for good cutscenes.

Capcom has a great eye for cutscenes, with RE5 being one of their best examples.

OmegaX0

Daughters had a reference to Edonia in it, so I wonder if they'll throw in yet another reference in Not a Hero.

Turns out Chris got some of Piers' infected DNA on him, changing him into a Chris/Piers hybrid. He lost his memory in the process, so Umbrella took advantage of it and recruited him. The only thing he does remember is the name 'Redfield'...

>StepUpPunch

chris confirmed

I'm gonna need to rent this game again just for this. It sucks that Roger Craig Smith isn't voicing Chris (why is Capcom such an ass with voice actors?) but as long as you can just straight-up punch molded then I'll forgive them to an extent.

Top Bottom