• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Internal report: Trump border 'wall' to cost $21.6 billion, take 3.5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-wall-exclusive-idUSKBN15O2ZN
President Donald Trump’s “wall” along the U.S.-Mexico border would be a series of fences and walls that would cost as much as $21.6 billion, and take more than three years to construct, based on a U.S. Department of Homeland Security internal report seen by Reuters on Thursday.

The report’s estimated price-tag is much higher than a $12-billion figure cited by Trump in his campaign and estimates as high as $15 billion from Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

The report is expected to be presented to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary John Kelly in coming days, although the administration will not necessarily take actions it recommends.

Incredible value versus putting that money into healthcare subsidies right? /s

Wonder what the annual maintenance and manning cost would be.

rjinaz

How much is it going to cost to maintain? Or tear down in a decade when we decide we don't want it anymore?

I don't imagine we'll ever tear it down. But at some point I would guess we'll get tired of the yearly maintenance fees which is well into the millions.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
And just think of how expensive it'll be when you factor inflation and maintenance into the mix.

In addition to seeking eminent domain and environmental waivers, the U.S. government would also have to meet the requirements of the International Boundary and Water Commission, a U.S.-Mexico pact over shared waters. The report estimated that agreement alone could bring the cost from $11 million per mile to $15 million per mile in one area.

I don't think he cares about any agreements with Mexico, so he'll probably brush the requirements aside, just like with everything else he does.

Everytime Trump threatens us our Peso gets devaluated more and this asshole wants Mexico to pay $20 billion for that stupid crap? With the Peso as it is in part because of him? Good luck with that!

Ecotic

It will take longer. A big, controversial government program such as this that doesn't enjoy bipartisan support will go over budget and over schedule.

If Democrats win either chamber of Congress in 2018 it will likely be halted midway.

rjinaz

Everytime Trump threatens us our Peso gets devaluated more and this asshole wants Mexico to pay $20 billion for that stupid crap? With the Peso as it is in part because of him? Good luck with that!

Easy D wants a lot of things, like a Muslim ban. But he doesn't always get his way. Mexico will never pay for this wall.

It will take longer. A big, controversial government program such as this that doesn't enjoy bipartisan support will go over budget and over schedule.

If Democrats win either chamber of Congress in 2018 it will likely be halted midway.

Yep. This is such an incredible money sink with very little upside.

KillGore

Doesn't seem like a lot for what money the US has or spends on other things. Not saying it's a good idea btw, just saying that for the trillions, 21 billion doesn't seem that big in comparison. Still shitty.

Don't buy it. I'm in the business of building prefab cell phone towers (environmental consulting) and those take forever to get through engineering, surveying, architecture, etc.

There are projects that I started working on over a year ago that are still in limbo due to random issues related to environmental or easement issues.

Government or not, they'll still be relying on private contractors and the realities of nature.

3.5 years?!

Bull fucking shit

It takes 2 years to build a fucking football stadium ( I get that it's different but whatever you get the point)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It'll take AT LEAST a decade to finish.

yea i forgot, it took austin ten years to finish the 71 freeway into Austin. They were literally already working on it when i went to college in 2003 and didnt finish it until after i graduated in 2008.

Just like the Iraq War fucked over Americans and their infrastructure. This wall will be no different if it comes to fruition.

Madness

How much is it going to cost to maintain? Or tear down in a decade when we decide we don't want it anymore?

No US president will ever tear down the wall if it gets built. That would be political suicide, even in a nation that 30 years from now could be majority hispanic in demographics.

I very much doubt it would take 3.5 years for the wall to be built. US infrastructure in the era of bureaucracy and red tape mean it seems more like 10 years than 3.5 years.

Whether it is worth it, you have to realize, look what happened in Europe in places like Hungary which erected border fences when they faced just tens of thousands of refugees across the border. The US has sustained over 13 million+ people cross the open border for the past few decades. And while Mexican crossings have dropped sharply, central American and south american crossings have never been higher. Will a wall stop them? No. Humanity has long migrated in search of a better life and opportunities. But a wall will make it harder than what exists now which is essentially sparse areas of fencing and border agents in jeeps who then try and locate people hiding etc. I fully expect tunnels and ladders and holes in the wall to occur but as evident in India and Israel, border walls cam drop unlawful entries. Let's hope they keep DACA though. Makes no sense deporting people who are American in everything but name.

Such a pointless endeavor. I'd bet that many Upper-midwest people who voted for him liked this idea because "Mexicans were stealing our jobs". Yes, Mexicans are the reason why you don't have a job in Columbus, Ohio......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom