• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Internal report: Trump border 'wall' to cost $21.6 billion, take 3.5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachikarn

My guess is the project would overrun too. Republicans are typically quick to point that out but I'm going guess they will stay quiet about it for this project.

I'd actually be impressed if they could build a wall that big in 4 years.

Merchant-and-Makers-Dry-Stone-Walls-29-Collapsed-dry-stone-wall-Gayle-Mountain-Hawes.jpg

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt that it would cost "only" 21.6 billion or take 3.5 years.

Nevermind the cost to maintain it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There are so many other things we could be spending money on that would produce immediate benefits. Upgrade, expand and fix our aging power grid! Clean up the fucking drinking water in Flint!

nubbe

I imagine the yearly maintenance cost would be in the hundreds of millions too

Ladders and ropes just got 10feet longer

It wouldn't even be complete in 8 years and would be so over budget consisering all the waste and mismanagement large projects incurr not to mention the countless lawsuits from environmentalists and property owners. It's a bridge to nowhere, a total scam to funnel public funds to someone's family/friend construction company.

Wheatly

Remember folks, the NASA Curiosity Rover costed about $2.1 Billion and employees many scientists, engineers, physicists, and more. And the science we collected from it... That's pretty important.

Oh and that New Horizons probe that got us our very first clear pictures of Pluto... $0.7 Billion.

So you're saying we should defund NASA even more? - Trump

Not even that. Just straddle the wall and pick the ladder up and hoist it over to the other side.
Problem is only one person can use the ladder then, so this tactic limits it to one illegal at a time. One person with a ladder will look like a maintenance person but a whole family will be immediately obvious what they're up to. I think this is the intention.

Lautaro

I wonder if the future equivalent of Matt Damon will make a movie where he fights monsters in the "mysterious" ruins of the Great Wall of America.

"No one knew why this wall was built... UNTIL NOW!" (cue CGI monsters with sombreros)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't for a moment it'd even only cost 21.6 billion.

The estimate to replace a bridge on I5 from Portland to Vancouver was anywhere from 2.8 to 10 billion alone.

I know a wall is less complicated.. but not all of the border is easy to access.. and for sure their will be lawsuits from land owners and the typical cost overruns and delays that would come with something of this scope. Even if they do basically the same fencing they did years ago.. at a cost of almost 2.5 billion.

..but I don't even care about the money.. it's that it's still pointless to even do.

Caja 117

Jhon Oliver border wall report made a similar estimate, around 25 billion. Along with saying with that you could buy a wafle maker for everyone living in this country and this was going to be as efficient as the wall.

So you're saying we should defund NASA even more? - Trump

He actually is meddling with it

He wants to redirect NASA budget to economic exploitation of space and "fast cheap" trips. I kid you not. Stop learning science start digging, and open mar-a-mars stat

What a waste of time and money. Maybe they can take the crazy amount of old tires that are collecting in the numerous tire dumps and make a tire wall.

Ithil

So basically that's estimate of it if absolutely nothing whatsoever caused a problem, a delay, or an increase in cost.

In order words it would take far longer than that with a much higher price tag, all for something that can be beaten by a ladder.

smurfx

get some go again
congrats to the companies who land the contracts. they are gonna screw the american people out of so much money.

DavidDesu

Let him build his stupid pointless wall. It will be too costly for the next sane administration to pull down and they won't need to as the wall (fence) will likely be easy to penetrate. Let it be a reminder of America's Trump folly forevermore. The United States and it's more brazenly idiotic citizens need to be brought down a peg or two for generations to come and faced with their stupidity.

Not

Banned
Hoooooly shit haha America bye

I mean, racists deserve to be miserable. Just sucks they have to take everyone down with them

I imagine the wall will get started, undergo all sorts of unforeseen difficulties, and be killed after blowing a few hundred billion squandered by crony contractors. Paid for by cutting welfare, healthcare, education, etc.

torontoml

So I know environment isn't even close to the top of this administration's priorities but has the ecological effect of putting up this wall been addressed?

FYI I'm Canadian, probably pay more attention to your politics than my own but not everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom