• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Rings (2017) Currently at 0% on RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Professor gets a tape, sets up a cult from and makes people watch it and two students, the leads get involved.

Kingpin is in it and you're shocked this movie got him for a bit role a la Carrie Ann Moss in Bye Bye Man.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there are some middling reviews out there that suggest maybe it's not 100% bad. I've been hearing The Ring > Rings > The Ring 2.

I mean, there's almost no way it could be worse than The Ring 2. I do't care what the critical scores end up looking like, no fucking hell will I believe it's that bad.

To me it sounds like a "The Blair Witch -> Blair Witch" kind of deal, and even though I thought that movie was bad, I was happy to have seen it. People are mentioning that Rings is more focused on mystery instead of horror, which is actually what the original novel is like anyways, so I could be OK with that. Don't like the sound of cheap jump scares though, which this is apparently full of.

I'd actually love to see a film or TV series based on the original films. Probably won't happen since this version of them is so popular, and the novels are so different, though.

It's funny how lazy and straightforward that tagline is.

Also movie looked shit from the trailers. Characters all looked like typical horror movie teens and the environments were overcompensating.

xrnzaaas

Jesus Christ enough with these fucking horror films. I'm sick of the genre. It should go away for a while.

Good horror films are still coming out. In the last few years we've had Don't Breathe, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Girl With All the Gifts, Hush, The Witch, The Conjuring, Green Room and many others. It's the "lazy" remakes/sequels/prequels you have to watch out for. :)

hampig

I mean, there's almost no way it could be worse than The Ring 2. I do't care what the critical scores end up looking like, no fucking hell will I believe it's that bad.

I'd actually love to see a film or TV series based on the original films. Probably won't happen since this version of them is so popular, and the novels are so different, though.

I think a more direct adaptation of the book (at least the first) to a miniseries would work great. It's different enough from the movies that they wouldn't have to change much to surprise fans, and it would check all the dark/gross/shocking boxes that it takes to get something into the mainstream lately.

Good horror films are still coming out. In the last few years we've had Don't Breathe, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Girl With All the Gifts, Hush, The Witch, The Conjuring, Green Room and many others. It's the "lazy" remakes/sequels/prequels you have to watch out for. :)

I'd argue the last 3 years have been some of the best in the last decade for horror. Add: It Follows, The Wailing, Split, Shin Godzilla(maybe?), The Visit, Babadook, and you have a pretty damn good list of movies.

I saw it at a press screening last night. It was TRASH. GARBAGE.

And I consider the first Ring movie to be Top 3 best horror films of all time.

Ridley327

It's kinda weird how the major plot element of this one (the video going viral) is present in Sadako vs. Kayako, albeit in a much reduced role. It felt like it got as much play as it needed to in that film, so making a whole film based around what amounts to a C-plot was always a bad idea.

But that's what happens when you get professional hack Akiva Goldsman to work on your script.

For those curious:

• The acting was atrocious. The lead actress is possibly the worst actor I've ever seen in my life. Her delivery of the lines gave me second hand embrassment.
  • The editing makes no fucking sense. There's this stupid, rushed plane scene at the beginning of the film that has nothing to do with the film.
  • The appearences by Samara are overdone.
  • The finale is a bit lame.
  • They re-use the same footage of Samara from the previous films, over and over.
  • The storyline is so freaking whack. They once again explore the idea of who Samara's mother was.

Honestly, at least The Ring Two had some cool CGI and a very exciting final sequence with Naomi Watts getting pulled into the well and having to race Samara to the top.

The only thing I liked about this film was that it explained how Samara could kill you
through a phone.

hampig

I saw it at a press screening last night. It was TRASH. GARBAGE.

And I consider the first Ring movie to be Top 3 best horror films of all time.

When was the last time you saw The Ring? Asking because I held it in high regard as well, but it didn't quite have the same effect when I watched it a few weeks ago.
It's kinda weird how the major plot element of this one (the video going viral) is present in Sadako vs. Kayako, albeit in a much reduced role. It felt like it got as much play as it needed to in that film, so making a whole film based around what amounts to a C-plot was always a bad idea.

But that's what happens when you get professional hack Akiva Goldsman to work on your script.

How was that movie?

mreddie

For those curious:

• The acting was atrocious. The lead actress is possibly the worst actor I've ever seen in my life. Her delivery of the lines gave me second hand embrassment.
  • The editing makes no fucking sense. There's this stupid, rushed plane scene at the beginning of the film that has nothing to do with the film.
  • The appearences by Samara are overdone.
  • The finale is a bit lame.
  • They re-use the same footage of Samara from the previous films, over and over.
  • The storyline is so freaking whack. They once again explore the idea of who Samara's mother was.

Honestly, at least The Ring Two had some cool CGI and a very exciting final sequence with Naomi Watts getting pulled into the well and having to race Samara to the top.

The only thing I liked about this film was that it explained how Samara could kill you
through a phone.

The sequel bait ending made me laugh

This was the same as the BYE BYE Man and honestly not shocked it was delayed for almost 2 years.

Schlorgan

When was the last time you saw The Ring? Asking because I held it in high regard as well, but it didn't quite have the same effect when I watched it a few weeks ago.
I watched it for Halloween and my heart rate was through the roof the whole time.

Ridley327

How was that movie?
It's really silly, but it's played deadpan so you get the sense that everyone is in on the joke. It's also delightfully mean-spirited in the kill department, which is a big plus for the tone that they're going for.

This past weekend in preparation for watching Rings (2017). The film is just outstanding. The atmosphere, the cinematography, the twists, the intelligence, the acting, THE SOUNDTRACK! It's just a really great horror film.

hampig

This past weekend in preparation for watching Rings (2017). The film is just outstanding. The atmosphere, the cinematography, the twists, the intelligence, the acting, THE SOUNDTRACK! It's just a really great horror film.
Huh, well I guess I am alone. Maybe it's because I read the book in the time between when it first came out and now. I will say that I love the atmosphere of the first movie. I don't think I could argue it's not competent, I just didn't feel effected by it.

It's really silly, but it's played deadpan so you get the sense that everyone is in on the joke. It's also delightfully mean-spirited in the kill department, which is a big plus for the tone that they're going for.

Cool, maybe I'll give that a watch tonight.

I just can't believe that they apparently failed to address the advent of online streaming and viral videos in a sequel to the Ring. How fucking out of touch can you be?

This should be hilariously bad.
Even Sadako vs Kayako had a big twist regarding online advancements

Why the fuck is a movie where the Ring tape gets uploaded to the internet just a sad retread of the first? It should be some apocalyptic horror, with fucking stringy haired ghost girls climbing out of every TV, movie screen, LED billboard and cellphone on the fucking planet.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I adored the American remake of The Ring. Ring 2 was bad. Rings (the short film) was great.I was really hoping this sequel was going to bring the franchise back to form. :-(

this gif is really starting to get on my nerves.

is it because all your faves are in the background

HutHzSc.gif

Ridley327

Cool, maybe I'll give that a watch tonight.
One thing I'll say is that I wouldn't go into it with the expectations of the eventual fight being a slobberknocker, like Freddy vs. Jason. It's limited to the last 20 minutes of the film and both of them treat it like a minor inconvenience to get to their victims, but they make up for it for the totally gonzo direction it takes with the resolution. I get why people might not like it, but it is just to brazenly bonkers that you have admire them for getting away with it.

Why the fuck is a movie where the Ring tape gets uploaded to the internet just a sad retread of the first? It should be some apocalyptic horror, with fucking stringy haired ghost girls climbing out of every TV, movie screen, LED billboard and cellphone on the fucking planet.

Well, to play devil's advocate, the end of the first film hints at, and the second film continues on with (from what I can remember of it) with the idea that Samara is now free from the 'rules' of the tape and can basically target whoever she wants. So, in that context, you could sidestep it by saying she's targeting some specific group or person for a specific reason. I have no idea if this film does this, though.

An-Det

I saw it last night, it wasn't great. The first half is actually pretty intriguing, but then it just retreads the first movie and loses it. Had they stuck with
the professor's research and experiment, people using the video to get close to death as a high, or even as a tool to kill unwitting people, and how samara reacts to the video being used in these ways
, you could have a really neat movie in this world which at least tries new things.

A shame how that franchise went, the first movie is one of my favorite horror movies.

19 Reviews in, still 0%. A whopping 2.7/10 average review score. What do you think the odds are that this film doesn't receive a single positive review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom