• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Rings (2017) Currently at 0% on RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if the critics all died while watching the movie no wonder it's 0

HEY-OOOO!

Watch it beat the next DC movie.

As much as I love schadenfreude, I don't know if I'd want to be anywhere on the internet if Wonder Woman somehow got single digits, let alone a 0%. I have no faith in DCEU but I don't think it would be that bad. (Can't say the same for Justice League tho'.)

19 Reviews in, still 0%. A whopping 2.7/10 average review score. What do you think the odds are that this film doesn't receive a single positive review?

Fully expecting one, two reviews that damn it with faith praise enough to barely qualify as a positive. Most films that get no positive reviews whatsoever are usually limited release. The last film I recall getting a widespread theatrical release that had zero positive reviews whatsoever was One Missed Call; and that was nearly ten years ago (man, American remakes of Japanese horror films always get a bad rap lol).

Nokterian

uTWUNuE.gif

This gif will be so much useful for the whole year bless redlettermedia.

Daffy Duck

Saw the trailer earlier, looked good. Probably showed all the "best" bits.

No doubt it will just be some mindless BS but I'll give it a watch.

PSqueak

Banned
im glad to hear that because it pisses me how agressively ads for this shit have been pushed on my tumblr feed.

Xater

So which Ring movie is actually good? Been meaning to see the original for awhile.

The first Japanase one and the American remake of it. The remake might be one of those rare cases that even improved upon the already good original.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Saw this a few weeks ago and it was awfully boring. Predictable jump scares, terrible dialogue, horrendous acting.

Vincent D'Onofrio was good though.

So which Ring movie is actually good? Been meaning to see the original for awhile.

The American remake. The Japanese version is a bit dated and melodramatic IMO, but worth watching if you're curious enough. The American sequel isn't horrible, and it's got a fun final sequence.

Linkura

lolololol

I had no idea it even existed until I saw an ad for it during the middle of a TV show stream (which is where the lowest of the low ads are).

Monocle

That's some real bullshit. I saw this movie last night and it was a proper sequel to The Ring. Good story, great tone, very satisfying. There were some dumb ways the movie could have gone, but it avoided them.

Ignore the critics this time, and don't spoil yourself with reviews. If you liked The Ring, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the way Rings builds on its mythology. I don't know what movie the critics saw, but the hatefest is completely unjustified.

That's some real bullshit. I saw this movie last night and it was a proper sequel to The Ring. Good story, great tone, very satisfying. There were some dumb ways the movie could have gone, but it avoided them.

Ignore the critics this time, and don't spoil yourself with reviews. If you liked The Ring, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the way Rings builds on its mythology. I don't know what movie the critics saw, but the hatefest is completely unjustified.

Every single moviegoer impression I've read (except yours) has been abysmal.

Monocle

Every single moviegoer impression I've read (except yours) has been abysmal.
That's bizarre. I've been on a horror movie kick lately and I've seen some real garbo like Grave Encounters 2 and Sadako vs Kayako. (OK, to be fair, that last one starts out decent and descends into silliness. And the scares are weak). Rings is most definitely a cut above. It has solid storytelling, respects the universe it's in, and doesn't gloss over the most interesting stuff, where the characters learn more about Samara's history and motives.

I saw Rings with a few other people and they felt exactly the same way. Watch it and decide for yourself.

Stuckman review yet?

The commercials and everything looked fucking terrible. What were they thinking?

He thought it was bad but not the worst.

That's bizarre. I've been on a horror movie kick lately and I've seen some real garbo like Grave Encounters 2 and Sadako vs Kayako. (OK, to be fair, that last one starts out decent and descends into silliness. And the scares are weak). Rings is most definitely a cut above. It has solid storytelling, respects the universe it's in, and doesn't gloss over the most interesting stuff, where the characters learn more about Samara's history and motives.

I saw Rings with a few other people and they felt exactly the same way. Watch it and decide for yourself.

Didn't you say Ghostbuster (2016) is a modern day classic?

kunonabi

Ringu 2 (Japanese Ring 2) and Ringu 0 (prequel) are underrated, I think. Watch them after the original.

I'm not a big ring two fan but I loved ring 0. It and the original Japanese film are still the two best ones in my opinion. American remake would be third.

vulva

Saw it last night, super boring. No tension and offered nothing new. It wasn't offensively bad or anything, just pointless above all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom