• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Rings (2017) Currently at 0% on RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give the rights back to Japan?

Sadako_vs._Kayako_poster.jpeg

Japan still has the rights...
its also shit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I saw this yesterday.

The absolute worst movie I have ever, EVER seen. It was literally the only that I wanted to leave the cinema for, but I stayed because I saw it with my dad who seemed to enjoy it.

Coming from one of the best movies of all time (Ringu) and even the half-arsed The Ring, this shitfest turned out to be worse than it could've ever managed.

SURGEdude

Yeah I enjoyed it immensely and took the time to explain why. It's clear that the hysterical spite people have for that movie is partly a consequence of the tone deaf marketing, but more a result of brainless dogpiling and cynical
hyperbole, with a healthy dose of sexism for good measure. I've never seen someone coherently explain why it's the worst film ever made without smugly taking for granted that it's unfunny trash. Which it really isn't.

So what do you think of Rings, champ? Guess one aberrant opinion out of dozens or hundreds of more fashionable ones must mean I'm wrong about all movies ever.

It could be all that or it could just be that you have a taste in films that's vastly outside of the mainstream. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but kinda seems more likely than the conspiracy theory that people just choose to dogpile movies you love.

I doubt anyone is surprised. Just seems to be another tasteless,unimaginative, cardboard copy pg-13 cash in. This remake series died after the first one which was surprisingly good and effective film on its own right.

MIMIC

Banned
I kinda wanna see it. I've heard mixed reviews from it being "just OK" to "really stupid" so I certainly wouldn't have any expectations going into it. I'd be fine paying for an "OK" movie, but I'm afraid I'd be coming out wanting a refund.

I watched a review and they said that the direction is pretty good, and that almost got me to just go ahead and see it. Even the RT critics consensus doesn't sound that bad:

Rings may offer ardent fans of the franchise a few threadbare thrills, but for everyone else, it may feel like an endless loop of muddled mythology and rehashed plot points.

That sounds like a consensus for a movie with maybe 30 or 40%.....not 5! lol

(Fake edit: that literally sounds like that new "xXx" movie, which got 44%: " xXx: Return of Xander Cage should satisfy fans of the first two installments, but its preponderance of set pieces can't quite make up for a tired storyline that fails to take the franchise -- or action fans -- anywhere new.)

Here's Gigli (6%): "Bizarre and clumsily plotted, Gigli is a mess. As for its stars, Affleck and Lopez lack chemistry." That sounds like a 6.

evanmisha

I kinda wanna see it. I've heard mixed reviews from it being "just OK" to "really stupid" so I certainly wouldn't have any expectations going into it. I'd be fine paying for an "OK" movie, but I'm afraid I'd be coming out wanting a refund.

I watched a review and they said that the direction is pretty good, and that almost got me to just go ahead and see it. Even the RT critics consensus doesn't sound that bad:

(Fake edit: that literally sounds like that new "xXx" movie, which got 44%: " xXx: Return of Xander Cage should satisfy fans of the first two installments, but its preponderance of set pieces can't quite make up for a tired storyline that fails to take the franchise -- or action fans -- anywhere new.)

Here's Gigli (6%): "Bizarre and clumsily plotted, Gigli is a mess. As for its stars, Affleck and Lopez lack chemistry." That sounds like a 6.

Honest review: The performances are really, really bad. Laugh out loud bad. The writing could not possibly have been more by the numbers and it once again throws more backstory at a mythos that really doesn't need it. The direction is quite nice, the effects work is damn good, and some of the set pieces are quite inventive. Weigh out those points and you'll know whether or not it's worth seeing. For most people, I would imagine that's a no.

Replicant

Honest review: The performances are really, really bad. Laugh out loud bad. The writing could not possibly have been more by the numbers and it once again throws more backstory at a mythos that really doesn't need it. The direction is quite nice, the effects work is damn good, and some of the set pieces are quite inventive. Weigh out those points and you'll know whether or not it's worth seeing. For most people, I would imagine that's a no.

How long is Alex Roe on screen? Is it long enough to be worth the price of admission? A friend wants to know....for research.

Savitar

evanmisha you better finish that write up.

Don't leave us hanging.

What? If we can't be entertained by the movie we can be entertained by your thoughts of said movie.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sadako_vs._Kayako_poster.jpeg

Japan still has the rights...
its also shit.

I really fucking liked this. It was way creepier, and serious about the concept than I expected it to be, and the whole "battle" was really well thought out, in terms of two ghost icons of horror duking it out.

hampig

Went to go see Rings today and got an important phone call in the last 10 minutes, had to step out and totally missed what happened. Can anyone fill me in? I'm pretty sure the last part I saw was the main girl
pushing the blind man down the stairs
but it might have been a tiny bit after that.

Also, let me say that going into the movie with expectations of a train wreck, I thought it was pretty good. Like 6-7/10 good. I thought the visuals were generally great, and the first 10-15 minutes really gave me a ton of hope. Then the movie slowly reveals itself to be kind of bad, but still. I got my moneys worth, even without the ending.

I saw this yesterday.

The absolute worst movie I have ever, EVER seen. It was literally the only that I wanted to leave the cinema for, but I stayed because I saw it with my dad who seemed to enjoy it.

Coming from one of the best movies of all time (Ringu) and even the half-arsed The Ring, this shitfest turned out to be worse than it could've ever managed.

holy shit

Monocle

It could be all that or it could just be that you have a taste in films that's vastly outside of the mainstream. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but kinda seems more likely than the conspiracy theory that people just choose to dogpile movies you love.
I mean... maybe in very specific circumstances? I do seem to have a slightly wider and arguably less critical taste than the average person, and I can usually find something to appreciate in less than great movies, but I'm not one to hold back if I think a movie is crap. Like Sucker Punch for instance. That movie is awful, means spirited, borderline offensive, and calls into question Zack Snyder's taste and even his values if you've heard him pontificate on the meaning of the film.

How long is Alex Roe on screen? Is it long enough to be worth the price of admission? A friend wants to know....for research.
A fair amount. And he is shirtless more than once, in case you'd happen to want to know that for some reason.

holy shit
Don't entertain that absurd hyperbole for a second. Not a second. It's a flawed but decent movie at worst.

Monocle

Yep looks like a horror movie sequel cash grab.

Ugh this meme needs to die.
No that was The Ring 2. Rings actually justifies its existence with solid contributions to the Ring mythos and a story that doesn't treat you like a total moron.

Yeah the RT consensus is bizarrely low. The movie does a lot of things right.

Surfinn

No that was The Ring 2. Rings actually justifies its existence with solid contributions to the Ring mythos and a story that doesn't treat you like a total moron.
I find it hard to believe that there was a lot of work that went into the creation and execution of this film seeing that 95 percent of all critics are recommending people to stay away, after 55 reviews.

But maybe my assumption is wrong.
Plinkett has been shit lately too. His Force Awakens review was an hour and a half of straight garbage.

Yup. That review solidified my decision to stop giving them views. Total hacks.

notaskwid

I really fucking liked this. It was way creepier, and serious about the concept than I expected it to be, and the whole "battle" was really well thought out, in terms of two ghost icons of horror duking it out.
Shiraishi kantoku does a great job with what he's dealt as usual.
I'm a bit of a Ringu nerd (I've read the books, watched all japanese, english, korean movies, watched the dramas..), and this movie is absolute ace to me, I love how it doesn't take itself too seriously while not triping over it. It knows damn well what movie it wants to be. If there is one grip I have with it is that both Sadako and Kayako (and Toshio) are characterized inferiorly to their original movies. Yeah, they had to be done in shitty Japanese movie CG so they could "fight", but it annoys me lol.
Now, I want some kind of sequel, as long as Shiraishi kantoku stays.

Monocle

I find it hard to believe that there was a lot of work that went into the creation and execution of this film seeing that 95 percent of all critics are recommending people to stay away, after 55 reviews.

But maybe my assumption is wrong.

Yup. That review solidified my decision to stop giving them views. Total hacks.
I'm going by my own impression. I was expecting garbage. I got something much better than garbage. YMMV but it's hard to see how you could be disappointed if 1) you like The Ring's story and tone, and 2) you go in expecting a schlockfest that exploits Samara's most famous gimmicks and instead get a story that actually makes an effort to have elements of mystery, exploration, and dramatic urgency that doesn't rely solely on "OMG the monster is chasing us!"

The movie has good world building and takes you on a bit of a journey. It doesn't just string you along with bullshit until the next jump scare.

That is a very important information. I'd pass it along to my friend who I'm sure will appreciate this contribution to research.
Godspeed. I hope the project is an explosive success.

evanmisha

Regardless of whether I consider it good or bad, I undoubtedly consider it better than The Ring Two. Which says a LOT considering that had Naomi Watts and this had a good 3 or 4 actors that couldn't get through a line without making the entire audience laugh out loud. There is genuinely a lot of talent on display. It's just competing with, and often losing to, some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

Zero315

Banned
Like, Freddy vs. Jason good?
I liked it more. Unlike FvJ it's actually kinda creepy in spots and works as a horror film, not horror-comedy. The ending however is rather... abrupt.

Should also say that it's streaming on Shudder. I signed up for the free trial to watch it yesterday and found out that they have a pretty damn good selection of Asian horror movies. Ended up rewatching Three Extremes and Audition.

Epcott

For those curious:

• The acting was atrocious. The lead actress is possibly the worst actor I've ever seen in my life. Her delivery of the lines gave me second hand embrassment.
  • The editing makes no fucking sense. There's this stupid, rushed plane scene at the beginning of the film that has nothing to do with the film.
  • The appearences by Samara are overdone.
  • The finale is a bit lame.
  • They re-use the same footage of Samara from the previous films, over and over.
  • The storyline is so freaking whack. They once again explore the idea of who Samara's mother was.

Honestly, at least The Ring Two had some cool CGI and a very exciting final sequence with Naomi Watts getting pulled into the well and having to race Samara to the top.

The only thing I liked about this film was that it explained how Samara could kill you
through a phone.

They ever explain what happened to Watts character?

I was actually hyped for this, guess I should have known better.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I saw it but can't remember, so light spoiler:

Did they ever
show or mention Julia's mother? I swear towards the beginning of the film, she mentions her mother is ill so that's why she can't go to college with her boyfriend, and yet later in the film Julia just gets up in the middle of the night and leaves without saying anything. And her mother is never mentioned again.

Aske

I mean... maybe in very specific circumstances? I do seem to have a slightly wider and arguably less critical taste than the average person, and I can usually find something to appreciate in less than great movies, but I'm not one to hold back if I think a movie is crap.

See, this is interesting. I was expecting to hate this movie, but the fact that you enjoyed it - and enjoyed it enough to defend it - makes me cautiously optimistic, because we often have a similar taste in horror. I'd love to enjoy it, especially after being so let down by Sadako vs Kayako.

I have a strange relationship with the American Ring movies. I think they're inferior to the Japanese movies and that Samara is about as effective as a tic-tac - but the cinematography and performances and storytelling are so good that the films manage to be immensely successful at delivering horror in in spite of her. The Ring and The Ring 2 are the antithesis of Sadako vs Kayako: they prove that you can have an awesome Ring movie without Sadako, while S v K highlights that Sadako is worthless if she's not utilised with intelligence and finesse.

evanmisha

evanmisha you better finish that write up.

Don't leave us hanging.

What? If we can't be entertained by the movie we can be entertained by your thoughts of said movie.

Oh, fuck. Do I have to? I was hopped on fucking mad coffee when I wrote that and it's not even half as funny as I thought it was at the time. I could do, like... an audio version of it? Because at least I can just spit that out and get it over with. Plus, I can actually inject comedy through delivery and not just through poor punctuation which I apparently struggle with. Would that be okay?

Durock

I don't see what was so bad about it myself. I actually liked it. I think the critics are being over exaggeratingly harsh.

I liked it more. Unlike FvJ it's actually kinda creepy in spots and works as a horror film, not horror-comedy. The ending however is rather... abrupt.

Should also say that it's streaming on Shudder. I signed up for the free trial to watch it yesterday and found out that they have a pretty damn good selection of Asian horror movies. Ended up rewatching Three Extremes and Audition.

I signed up for Shudder too and in my trial period. Like the selection and curating, but the video playback seems pretty dark ages. Crashes frequently on mobile too. Not sure if it's worth my $5 as is.

Phased

Plinkett has been shit lately too. His Force Awakens review was an hour and a half of straight garbage.

It's because they mostly enjoyed the movie, they said as much when they reviewed it, and despite what people say about the story it's solid overall. It's why they spent an entire hour of the 1.5 hour review talking about everything but TFA.

I think they just did the Plinkett review because they knew it would be a hit, and it was with 2.6 million views. With that said I still like most of their other content so it isn't a huge deal for me.

Ironic considering RLM is complete pig's asshole apart from Mr. Plinkett

I don't agree at all. I like their Half in the Bag stuff and recent content like Fuck You It's January and Mike's horror movie pitch were great.

And I thought the Plinkett review for TFA was pretty crap, even though I watched it a couple of times.

hampig

Sorry to ask again, but is there any chance somebody can fill me in on the last 10 minutes? Had to leave the theater and totally missed from the
blind priest falling down the stairs
to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom