• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 15 min 'Siberian Wilderness' [1080p] Gameplay Demo

sublimit

Banned
Jesus Christ can't she just STFU ??Her constant blabbering,giving the player hints all the time on what to do,where to go and what is going on is so annoying!

As for "gameplay" just as expected,this is the same scripted shit (with the necessary QTEs) from the reboot.

Sad to see what this series has become.

Auctopus

Just starting...

Already annoyed that she's still commenting on literally everything she has to do. The whole "Got to do this... I need to keep going... I can do this...". Also, why does she "need to do this on her own"?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loved the first one. This looks great. Waiting on PS4 or PC version though. (I own an XBO but I want the best graphics available, and Fallout 4 launches that day so I'll be busy anyways.)

Looks great though. Hope it does well.

Alienous

Just starting...

Already annoyed that she's still commenting on literally everything she has to do. The whole "Got to do this... I need to keep going... I can do this...". Also, why does she "need to do this on her own"?

They need to have paired her with an interesting personality or an interesting character. The self-dialogue doesn't work if it isn't 'quip-ish' or banter between two people.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why did she not take the gun from the guy she knocked out?
Why didn't she shoot the bear with it?

Fucking Video Games, I guess that's why. I think I'm getting too old for this shit.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd say don't bother, there's nothing compelling here.

Which is a shame because I thought for sure this would be a game I'd want to get on my Xbox One.
From the looks if it, the player has a lot of choice for how to take out or sneak around enemies. There's a lot of attention to detail in the way the snow reacts to her footsteps as well, and ofc the hair physics and facial animation look pretty great.

GnawtyDog

Banned
That exclusivity deal apparently only lasts through the holidays.

Anyway, I still feel like they are trying so damn hard to make this game into Uncharted.
Looks more engaging than the stuff shown at the presser though.

They have clearly gone away from Uncharted into TLOU survival gameplay territory with this one... the setpieces will be there by the simple fact that almost no big AAA action game lacks them. As long as they're not forced and properly made.... that first bear encounter for example..... no need for a stop at the bush.

Waiting for Gamersyde.

Alienous

From the looks if it, the player has a lot of choice for how to take out or sneak around enemies.

It doesn't look bad. I haven't played the 2013 remake but the section of gameplay in this looks exactly like a section of gameplay I had seen in that.

Perhaps I have to play that first. Maybe then I'll be able to see what makes the gameplay interesting.

Looks like the first one, which isn't a bad thing, plus I love the huge variety of environments and most inportantly the tombs we see at the end.

GnawtyDog

Banned

Cause Jonah is annoying? There is no better excuse. As if Crystal Dynamics heard my pleas...

Also a companion AI is extremely complex to do for a whole game - like extremely complex.... you need the script to revolve around it, the chit-chat audio, the interactions, the gameplay.... not many studios can do it proficiently + the dev workload.... easier to go solo.

Definitely much more interesting than the Quantic Dream QTE-game-ish gameplay they showed at the Microsoft event, at least in parts. That stealth/improvisation stuff looks really good, and it's nice to see that regenerating health seems to be gone, too. Those wounded/cold limp-in-a-straight-line-until-you-hit-a-cutscene sections are never going to be especially compelling, no matter how hard devs try, but at least they don't directly contradict the gameplay mechanics this time around. You can't have a game about survival when the character can magically heal from any wound.

I'll happily play this once it gets its Steam sale, same as the first.

kpaadet

Is this a remake of the reboot? So much reused, after getting separated from her friends she is cold and have to make a fire, then create her bow, the fall on something so she'll have to do her "wounded walk" until her finds a medical kit. Urgh please CD.

Just starting...

the terrible writing in the first game returns (as does the need to constantly inflict pain on lara). actually, this all feels exactly like the first game. will believe the tombs when i see them :) ...

Is this a remake of the reboot? So much reused, after getting separated from her friends she is cold and have to make a fire, then create her bow, the fall on something so she'll have to do her "wounded walk" until her finds a medical kit. Urgh please CD.

It's a sequel and just fyi this isn't the start of the game.

The desert area is the first location .

partyboy

Really hate when a game like this makes you control a character through a section where the movement is being hindered/manipulated in some way, like when she's struggling through the storm. It doesn't add anything to the experience to make that interactive and it's tedious to control. Just make it a cutscene or something.

VA, she's horrible. I wish Felicity Jones auditioned ... imagine :D
I'm pretty sure that with better writting she would be much better. Damn, it's so off-putting.

Last night I was playing the reboot and all those cheesy lines made me cringe: "Run you bastards!", "I'll make them pay"... so bad, damn.

Nozem

I skipped to 4 random places in the video. Each time, I landed on a non-interactive scene/event.

Sums it up, really.

I was bored so I timed it.

Excluding the first 30 seconds and the last 45 seconds (both montages), there is 13 minutes and 20 seconds left. Of that 4 minutes and 50 seconds is non-interactive scenes. The rest is gameplay and menus. So:

64% gameplay
36% cutscenes

If she's so cold, why doesn't she just zip up her jacket?

Video games logic.

Jesus Christ can't she just STFU ??Her constant blabbering,giving the player hints all the time on what to do,where to go and what is going on is so annoying!

As for "gameplay" just as expected,this is the same scripted shit (with the necessary QTEs) from the reboot.

Sad to see what this series has become.

Yeah, this is just another handholding Tomb Raider game. RIP one of my favorite franchise.
I'll get it on PC at 75% off as usual.

SigSig

Yeah, this is just another handholding Tomb Raider game. RIP one of my favorite franchise.
I'll get it on PC at 75% off as usual.

Pretty much this.
Again with the slow-walking and shaky cam? Again with the fleeing-cutscenes-but-you-can-totally-like-move-around-a-few-meters?
tumblr_mani2maeRh1qd00mn.gif

Footos22

Have they said if it runs at 60 on Xbox One? The re-release on PS4 did, and it was lovely, but I seem to remember that not being the case with the Xbox version. Since then there has been SDK updates and such, just wondered if they're running at 60 now.

Playing the first one on ps4 atm and it's fantastic at 60. But this looks a great deal nicer graphically so i doubt it will.

jelly

I'm sure it will be a decent fun ride like the last one but this looks very similar and therefore a bit dull even though I enjoyed the last one for the most part, there just isn't enough good meat on the bone once you've been on the ride once. If depth is more busy work and a longer skill tree then that will be very disappointing. The locations look cool and hopefully some interesting levels and encounters make up for the lack of depth. A rollercoaster isn't terrible but I want more that isn't busy work.

Wasn't the Bear fight suppose to be a big deal, a bit ho hum there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Skimmed the video, but looks like it's heavy on set pieces and I'm not buying ultra nimble tree swinging tarzan Lara after all the shit she stumbled and crashed into and through in the first game.

jelly

So much forced slow walking... I don't think this game is for me. :/

Partly, hide the loading screen trick. The last one did it all the time entering different areas, tombs etc. I think it's more or less that rather than being dramatic. It's not the worse thing, they could do a cutscene and loading screen instead. Sucks less one way I suppose but still a bit of a chore to playthrough again.

I hope there is a decent game plus mode this time.

Altairre

It doesn't look bad. I haven't played the 2013 remake but the section of gameplay in this looks exactly like a section of gameplay I had seen in that.

Perhaps I have to play that first. Maybe then I'll be able to see what makes the gameplay interesting.

I like the feel of the gameplay, it's better than most third person shooters imho and it gives you quite a few options. That's why I enjoyed it more than any of the Uncharted games. To me this looks like more of the same with a few refinements which I'm absolutely okay with. Seeing this demo makes it one of my E3 highlights.

It is not like the old games so I can see why fans would be disappointed but the old Tomb Raider had run its course for me anyway. Happy where they're going with this. The one thing I'm hoping is that they won't beat her up quite as much.

Chao

First one has a good discount on EU PSN. What's the consensus on that one? I love Uncharted and I've heard this is like a goofy Uncharted. I hate stupid AAA game storylines, but if the gameplay is good I can just check my cellphone while the dumb cutscenes are playing.

I must be in the very small percentage of people who actually like the voice acting, having her talk to herself to me anyway just helps it feel a bit more alive. ( I must be very easily entertained :p )

I really do hope we see more Tombs before release though, assuming they actually have any half way decent ones in the here this time, it will be the one thing that makes this game shine.

Top Bottom