• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 15 min 'Siberian Wilderness' [1080p] Gameplay Demo

Chinner

Banned
Like Tomb Raider, I'll probably get this when it's cheap. My thoughts based on the gameplay though:

- Lara is still a bland character, and the constant mutters are a poor attempt at hiding the hand-holding
-The upgrade system still looks pointless, and only adds the illusion of depth without offering it.
- While the map design is still open-level, the gameplay looks linear without any type of sandbox elements.
- Enemy A.I is still simplistic, there's no urge to think outside the box unless you want to show off (when they took out the 3 guards)
- Still relying on constantly injuring Lara to artificially raise the stakes
- Cinematic moments are scripted and unimaginative.

I'm sure the first playthrough will be enjoyable, but if it's anything like TR it'll be a forgettable game.

Why is Lara still so unsure of herself ?At this point She should be like Drake in Uncharted 2 making wisecracks in the snowy mountains.

Like Tomb Raider, I'll probably get this when it's cheap. My thoughts based on the gameplay though:

- Lara is still a bland character, and the constant mutters are a poor attempt at hiding the hand-holding
-The upgrade system still looks pointless, and only adds the illusion of depth without offering it.
- While the map design is still open-level, the gameplay looks linear without any type of sandbox elements.
- Enemy A.I is still simplistic, there's no urge to think outside the box unless you want to show off (when they took out the 3 guards)

I'm sure the first playthrough will be enjoyable, but if it's anything like TR it'll be a forgettable game.

Uncharted 4 looks much better.

Altairre

I must be in the very small percentage of people who actually like the voice acting, having her talk to herself to me anyway just helps it feel a bit more alive. ( I must be very easily entertained :p )

I really do hope we see more Tombs before release though, assuming they actually have any half way decent ones in the here this time, it will be the one thing that makes this game shine.

I don't have anything against the VO either. It's not amazing but it's totally fine.

if within the span of 15min there is already 4 non-interactive bits, thats a worrying sign.

It's the intro and those types of games are usually frontloaded with the scripted stuff. You could still be right of course but I wouldn't worry too much in that regard except if the first one was too scripted for you of course.

I don't have anything against the VO either. It's not amazing but it's totally fine.

It's the intro and those types of games are usually frontloaded with the scripted stuff. You could still be right of course but I wouldn't worry too much in that regard except if the first one was too scripted for you of course.

Reminds me of the Intro to Uncharted 2 , just that a Shot-up Nathan Drake handled the situation a lot better.

Not everyone can immediately come to terms with their serial killer personality.

I just think we are so over that vulnerable Lara , didn't the developers say the last game was made as a transition from her being weak to being a badass?

Bold One

Should have gotten a new VA

Still feels like the devs are actively trying to kill her as opposed to being in actual danger on the offset

but so far so good, very nice stuff, hopefully this wont be as drawn out as the last game.

No tombs were spotted, 5/10

I still can't believe they are doing QTEs in 2015.

Looks okay I guess, but I hate the Unchartedization the series is going through. I'll probably give it a miss.

They are trying to go for a more survival esque , Uncharted is more pulp and fantasy. Drake would wisecrack if he was in this situation , while Lara is panicking for her life.

Zakalwe

Banned

Agreed.

I tried playing he first game again recently because I have fond memories of some of the open areas and the combat, but I can't work through the hand holding and scripted sequences (and the poor VA and writing) a second time.

It looks like the new game will feel like I'm going through all of that again, not sure I'll be able.

Will give it a chance though, the first game did surprise me a little.

Elios83

Don't like it honestly, it looks and plays a lot like the previous game but with a more boring setting. Japan was much better than snowy syberia.
I hope they have surprises in store otherwise I'm not buying it full price.

Fasty

Jesus Christ can't she just STFU ??Her constant blabbering,giving the player hints all the time on what to do,where to go and what is going on is so annoying!

Agreed. It was the must annoying thing in Horizon Zero Dawn too.

So much forced slow walking... I don't think this game is for me. :/

This was all I could think of in that beginning bit. At least a minute's worth of walking a super narrow path with nothing to do but hold "up" on the controller.

Shredderi

Hmm. For some reason this is not really impressing me from neither gameplay or visual standpoint. Looked a bit boring. It's not super bad or anything, propably a decent cinematic action romp but it doesn't make me say "wow I gotta get this" like Uncharted 4 does.

Hmm. For some reason this is not really impressing me from neither gameplay or visual standpoint. Looked a bit boring. It's not super bad or anything, propably a decent cinematic action romp but it doesn't make me say "wow I gotta get this" like Uncharted 4 does.

Lara Croft fights a Bear and is panicking for her survival , Drake fights Armored vehicles and wisecracks his way to victory.

Elios83

As I said same feeling here, I think it's mainly because of the setting which is not really interesting. Snowy enviroments with poor visibility are just boring.
Hopefully they have other surprises in store, for example I wasn't impressed with the jungle in Uncharted 4 either in the December demo but what we saw at E3 put the game on a whole different level.
Buy yeah so far this doesn't look really interesting.

It looks visually great and it's polished, but it's the same-ish that so many other AAA games, the same third person action/adventure game with a mix of (easy) stealth, melee takedowns, shooting, some crafting and upgrading, etc.

Man, they love putting this girl through the ringer. She used to be such a badass in the old games. :(

that seems to be the reboot's primary shtick: lara as both the damsel in distress & the heroine. replay the original & be amazed at just how often lara's either injured, or captured, or both...

Shredderi

Lara Croft fights a Bear and is panicking for her survival , Drake fights Armored vehicles and wisecracks his way to victory.

I'm also aware that even though both games resemble each other in the way that they are cinematic AAA-games with a lot of setpieces, tomb raider seems a little more slow in it's pace and the combat encounters resemble TLoU more than uncharted so fundamentally Tomb Raider is going for something different than Uncharted 4, but it's the closest comparison I can think of so that is why I'm comparing them. I don't mean that Tomb Raider should be the same as Uncharted with super frenetic pacing in it's scenes, but the footage of tomb raider so far just doesn't grab me.

There seems to be some slight fanboyism in this thread regarding Uncharted 4 and this one, but we should be glad that two different developers are creating these type of games.

Both of these games are purely cinematic experiences with one protagonist making jokes after each encounter, and the other protagonist screaming, crying, panicking and deliberately wanting the player to 'feel' for her.

They can easily coexist for all I care since they both offer unique gameplay experiences.

There seems to be some slight fanboyism in this thread regarding Uncharted 4 and this one, but we should be glad that two different developers are creating these type of games.

Both of these games are purely cinematic experiences with one protagonist making jokes after each encounter, and the other protagonist screaming, crying, panicking and deliberately wanting the player to 'feel' for her.

They can easily coexist for all I care since they both offer unique gameplay experiences.

I'm just mad shes still screaming , I mean the developers said we were going to get a more 'mature' Lara , so I assumed she would turn into a badass.

She still acts the same as the reboot.

jesu

Why is Lara still so unsure of herself ?At this point She should be like Drake in Uncharted 2 making wisecracks in the snowy mountains.

Uncharted 4 looks much better.

Tomb Raider 2013 was better than any Uncharted game.
Will be interesting to see if UC4 can out do RoTR.

UrbanRats

If only they weren't going after that Uncharted style.
It's what hurt the reboot the most.

The good tomb raider games were always about exploration first, and combat second, something completely opposite to Uncharted (which has barely any exploration to begin with).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looks exactly like the first one tbh. Will definitely play it.

Isurus

Having personally run into grizzly bears while backcountry hiking, I'd be more worried about a bear than an amored vehicle.

On topic, I'm in the minority and think this game is looking great. I really liked the re-release last year and I'm looking forward to this a lot. Looks promising so far.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just think we are so over that vulnerable Lara , didn't the developers say the last game was made as a transition from her being weak to being a badass?

Yeah, I guess they want to take their time with that transition. The title "Rise of the Tomb Raider" sounds like it'll be part of this game's story again. Doesn't mean she has to run around making stupid jokes like in Uncharted all the time, though. That quickly gets annoying anyway.

Will play this on PC eventually.

Is it ever coming out on the PS4 though?

All signs point to yes.

Tomb Raider 2013 was better than any Uncharted game.
Will be interesting to see if UC4 can out do RoTR.

Gonna have to disagree. It was better than the first Uncharted, but Uncharted 2 destroys it and comparisons when with Uncharted 3 could go either way(I pick U3). ROTR doesn't look to be better than Uncharted 4 from what we have seen of both games. I like the survival angle of Tomb Raider, but when it tries to emulate Uncharted action set pieces it fails miserably. The writing is in Uncharted is leagues better too.

That looks pretty poor gameplay wise from the perspective of someone who didn't enjoy the TR reboot too much.

Sucks that the bow is still kind of like an insta-hit weapon with seemingly no trajectory or noticeable movement of the arrow.

And the bear combat was laughably bad. I thought it was going to be like the Samurai combat from the reboot involving a lot of dodging and close-range shooting but this was just... poor.

The Last Revelation was my first 3D graphic game, my first Tomb Raider game, and I love it to death. I liked the reboot, but it's really pale compared to The Last Revelation, or any of the first 3 games of the series, or Anniversary. I hope this one will be better.

Ramenman

It does look very pretty. Lara's hair in that storm had something impressive to it.

I liked that encounter with the enemies. Reminded me of the last of us with the fact that your diversion/attack tools can be found on ennemies/during the actual fight (the guy's radio, the gas thingy, etc). I always find it funnier when you have to make do with what you find there. But you'd probably also be able to do all of this sequence with your bow or a weapon...

I'm not sure fighting animals can be as involving though... That bear fight was a bit eh. Roll roll roll arrow take a hit roll roll arrow until dead. Even that stun-cloud arrow wasn't very useful, I hoped she would use it to disappear back into stealth, but no.

I'm sure it will be a rather good game overall, but personally I don't really know where i'd fit it in my "gaming schedule" (manner of speaking, I don't really have that :p). I already have lots of game I want to play that will come out at this moment, and for the whole set-piece third person thing I'll have my fix with Uncharted, so I don't know, I guess I'd have to be more interested in the actual story or setting to really care since most of the gameplay elements (while most likely quality) I'll be able to find elsewhere. This is very subjective of course and not the dev's fault.

Jesus Christ can't she just STFU ??Her constant blabbering,giving the player hints all the time on what to do,where to go and what is going on is so annoying!

Especially since the writing/acting is a bit cringey for these "talk to yourself" sentences.

Probably something awkward between the constant fear/pain/cold felt by the chatracter that doesn't mesh well with the idea of a character thinking things through carefully in his mind.

For example it works ok with Batman in the Arkham games when he talks to himself since he's always so detached and collected, but here with the emotional/affected orientation they have for the character (which isn't a bad thing per se) I don't see the whole "talking to myself" thing working really well, even with a good actor there's only so much you can do when the situation is a bit dissonant to begin with.

The frequency of those quips is also an issue but here it's probably just to make the demo more lively. I can't see her speaking 100% of the time like that in the actual game.

Top Bottom